SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don’t think the murders had anything to do with life insurance/receiving a payout. I think it was all about the boating death (for PM) and the firm fraud (for MM getting close to finding out). Or a combo, or one or the other. Still on the fence regarding SS death. It’s possible one of them was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but if anyone, that’d be MM. But really, I think this has to do with PM boating incident payback and AM bad behavior punishment. So I think someone wanted PM and AM to “pay”, so they shot PM and MM. Maybe they didn’t want to shoot AM because they wanted to keep the money train going (cash fraud, drugs, pay-offs, fixes, who knows what else). AM is worth more on a continuing basis alive versus dead. Although I understand, if true, why he might want to die and give BM $10M. It’s all just very nuts. I am not convinced yet that AM arranged to have his wife and/or son killed.

Last edited:
Murdaugh, 53, was charged Thursday with insurance fraud, conspiracy and filing a false police report. — all felonies that could bring up to 20 years in prison if convicted of all three charges. There is no minimum sentence.

Lawyer Murdaugh exits jail after $10M insurance fraud arrest
"No minimum sentence"
Funny how that works.
Embezzling millions doesn't get near the time of stealing a few hundred.

Probation for $43 million
Four Beaumont officials plead guilty in $43 million embezzlement case

Embezzlers often avoid prison time

About one third of the 44 cases – 13 are still pending – prosecuted by the Eagle County District Attorney’s Office from 2001 to 2003 received some jail time, from 2 days to 90 days. Only one defendant was sent to prison. But all of the embezzlers were ordered to pay restitution to the victims.

Most of the embezzlers were also sentenced to probation, community service and deferred judgements.

For example, Javier Vargas got 15 days in jail, 40 hours of community service and 3 years of probation for stealing $855. But Kaffka didn’t get any jail time for stealing more than $2 million – $1.5 million of which she has already returned. She was sentenced to 20 years of probation, community service and ordered to pay restitution.

Last edited:
Moselle is a hunting lodge. The kennels are full of hunting dogs. Would those hunting dogs be allowed in the grand Murdaugh home? Did the family have other dogs in the house? Which dogs did Gloria Satterfield allegedly "trip" over and where - the house ... or the kennels?

This case is a near blackout of any hard facts - one massive red flag.

With the mysterious, near-total silence and wholesale skirting of official procedural norms surrounding Gloria Satterfield's death - and now the discovery her family was never paid the settlement - I'm guessing that her traumatic brain injury occurred BEFORE her "trip and fall".

BBM for focus.

Remember, the 'accident' might have very well happened at their house in the town of Hampton, which has since been sold. I'm not sure exactly when it was sold, but I think it was in 2019. (This was the house on Holly St, where a few years prior someone set a fire outside, around the house.)

ETA: actually the arson took place in 2009.
Local attorney victim of attempted arson

Last edited:
Mysteries follow death of Alex Murdaugh's housekeeper

Disgraced South Carolina legal scion Alex Murdaugh plotted with another lawyer to steal $4 million from the children of his longtime housekeeper, who mysteriously died at the attorney’s home in 2018, a lawyer representing her children claims.

“It’s hard to believe that one family can create this kind of turmoil, you know?” said Eric Bland about the mess he said was created for Gloria Satterfield’s family.

“Greed, power, betrayal. All the bad things. It’s like a Grisham novel. He doesn’t have to write fiction, he can just come to South Carolina and write the truth.”

Bland filed a suit against Murdaugh Wednesday on behalf of Satterfield’s sons, prompting officials to open an investigation into her death later that day.

Bland said that a lawyer for one of the defendants named in the lawsuit suit revealed the staggering sum Thursday.

--

That lawyer, unbeknownst to the Satterfield family, was Alex’s college roommate and best friend, Cory Fleming, according to the suit. Murdaugh also allegedly appointed non-family member Chad Westendorf as the Satterfields’ personal representative in negotiations without the sons’ knowledge.

“You do that so you don’t have to keep the family informed of what’s going on,” Bland said.

“Settlements start happening. Nobody’s telling the family. They never found out. The only reason they found out is because of reporters… started digging [after son Paul Murdaugh was arrested for a 2019 deadly drunk boating accident],” the lawyer said.

“At the end of 2020 our clients said, ‘Wait a minute. Mom’s claim settled for $505,000? We didn’t get any of that money.'”

Bland said he learned on Thursday that multiple insurers actually paid out $4 million to Fleming, and his clients never saw a dime of it. He quickly sent a complaint to the state’s bar association, he said.

It's not just the wealthy.
There are 329 million people in the US, 258 million adults.

According to the CDC: FastStats

Physician office visits:
Number of drugs provided or prescribed: 860.4 million

Hospital emergency department visits:
Number of drugs given or prescribed: 336 million
Well yes but those numbers don't necessarily mean that most people are on pills. People who use and especially people who abuse drugs are on multiple different kinds and people who end up in the hospital due to overdose trends to be repeat offenders. It's like how the fact that most marriage ends in divorce is due to people who divorce getting divorced three, four, five times in their lives. The easy statistics to get very rarely prove what the source providing them intend for them to suggest. We live in a post-truth world.
I'm not saying that I have a reputable and definitive source suggesting that most wealthy people are on prescription drugs or that I am minimizing the seriousness of the prescription drug epidemic. Lots of middle class people are on prescription drugs but I have anecdotally noted that in addition to the poor, who are somewhat accurately stereotyped as being the primary victims of drug addiction, wealthy people are more likely to be addicted to medication than people in the middle class. It does seem like big pharma has done a lot in the last ten years to fill in the middle too though.
An older member of my close family (a retired 40 year elementary school teacher and church lady) very nearly died this summer as an indirect result of being on more prescription drugs than any of us were aware of. She has a small benign inner ear tumor that we have blamed for her having balance problems and for years she has taken occasional falls but she had two of them close enough together that she insisted on going to the hospital where she became irrational, her blood pressure got out of control, terrible incontinence including GI bleeds, everyone thought there was a real chance she would die despite what few problems her blood work revealed being quickly stabilized.
After about eight weeks under 24 hour care (including what in hindsight was a very strategically timed steroid injection) she is better than she has been in years. None of her doctors even once mentioned the word "addiction" they just went over her medication list and crossed a bunch of them off. None of her "friends" seemed willing to talk about it with her either or was left up to her family. I hope we got the message through to her and she will avoid that doctor, a doctor who has been a well known and respected local practitioner for decades.

The unraveling of fraud possibly exposed by MM’s audit request involved others outside of the family. There are now other enemies that may have wanted MM dead. PM was collateral damage. I’m not sure AM was directly responsible for the murders other than his fraudulent actions. Now I wonder if maybe AM did want to die and he just picked the wrong shaky hand to do it.

Moselle is a hunting lodge. The kennels are full of hunting dogs. Would those hunting dogs be allowed in the grand

The hounds in the kennels would likely have been Walker Hounds, which have an oily coat which smells bad; they would not ever have been allowed into the house.

The dogs at the house would have been just pets, and would have been different breeds.

The unraveling of fraud possibly exposed by MM’s audit request involved others outside of the family. There are now other enemies that may have wanted MM dead. PM was collateral damage. I’m not sure AM was directly responsible for the murders other than his fraudulent actions. Now I wonder if maybe AM did want to die and he just picked the wrong shaky hand to do it.

Other enemies that wanted MM dead is where my thinking is for now.

Jmo

With GS’s death in the month of february it prob was the moselle home, I had in my mind it was the holly st home.

Could be AM drove her to hospital in charleston.

Jmo

Why do you think it was probably the moselle home? When was the Holly st property sold? GS died in Feb 2018.

Last edited:
Why do you think it was probably the moselle home? When was the Holly st property sold? GS died in Feb 2018.

This article june 9th

Mike Moseley, the owner of Hot Shots Billiards Club, said he had gone to school with Randy and Alex Murdaugh. Moseley had helped construct Alex Murdaugh’s house on Holly Street in Hampton, which was sold last April.

Rumors swirl about double homicide involving SC law family. Some details begin to emerge.

Being the month of feb is winter hunting season. Just a thought

Eta using the word last April versus past april.

I don't understand what motive anyone other than Alex (the "forensic accounting" suggesting impending divorce) would have had to kill Maggie that wouldn't have also applied to Paul (emotional punishment/extortion of Alex).

Even if Paul's murder was retribution for unpunished crimes and Maggie was collateral damage, Alex was the one who got Paul out of the punishment so he could still (rightly) feel partially responsible.

Alex's activities since the crime don't exactly strike me as those of someone riddled with guilt though - and as more and more information comes to light its easier and easier for me to see Alex having a motive for both Paul and Maggie to die, a belief that the two of them together were threatening to destroy the dynasty his great grandfather, grandfather and his father who lay dying in a hospital bed had built.

As some other sleuths have also intimated, it's quite possible that there will be a point in the investigation that the evidence suggests it was Randolph III, the dying father, who ordered the murders to protect the estate and legacy of Randolph IV, Buster - who I would bet anything will come out of all this smelling like a rose, wealthy and in an influential political position.

I think it's time to tell y'all a story.

I live in a sleepy little Southern town, that in some ways, I suppose, isn't too different from Hampton. It's about 4 times the size of Hampton, but still not too large to prevent most of us from knowing each other's business. I grew up here, although I moved away to go to college, and it was even more intimate, back then in the 60s and 70s.

By the "accident of birth" I mentioned earlier, meaning where I grew up, a number of my neighbors and friends were well-connected in that group I also mentioned earlier. They were our equivalents of the Murdaughs and Harpootlians (although not as vile). And because I was an engaging and active teenager, I was invited into the junior rank of that organization. And I must say, that they were a fun bunch. The drink always flowed freely, even (or perhaps especially) when inappropriate; they had all the right connections, and got all of the breaks in life. But, fortunately, I got out, when it dawned on me just how things work with them. I wouldn't have done well; I abhor corruption and cronyism.

We moved away from this town in 1978. The following events took place shortly afterward.

There was a man who served as the district attorney here. I didn't know him well, but my parents did. He was a pleasant sort, and in fact helped my parents out of a little jam that they wouldn't have been able to resolve without him speaking to the right person. But he was a member of that organization, as was our local sheriff (I referenced him in previous posts on another thread, in regards to narcotics smuggling and unsolved murders). It was something that one simply had to do, to attain elective office here, back then.

Now, as a member of that group, he was expected to serve their interests...meaning, that when the interests of that group conflicted with justice, the group was meant to prevail. So, from time to time, someone from the group would instruct him on how a trial should go.

Now, not long after we moved away, there was a trial, and he was told what the verdict should be. But the opposite happened. The group was angered.

Shortly after the conclusion of the trial, his teenage daughter was raped, by an unknown assailant. The group had sent the D.A. a message: Don't let that happen again. And though he may not have known who committed the crime, he would have known who ordered it up, and why. And so would the sheriff.

I was acquainted with that girl, but only vaguely. My sister knew her better; they both took dance lessons at the same studio. The girl was no Timmy; she was nice, and very proper, and I assure you, quite innocent.

But though innocent, she was no dunce. She knew why she had been raped. To be raped is bad enough; to know that she was raped, because of the actions (or, perhaps, inaction) of her father, and that her D.A. father and the local sheriff could have pursued a prosecution of the rapist, and refused to, was more than she could bear.

After struggling with this issue for a while, she committed suicide. It was a small-town tragedy that cast a dark and painful shadow over a lot of hearts.

Plombo o plata, as it is said in Mexico. Lead or Silver. It's your choice. You can have all of the Silver you want, if you play the corruption game correctly, which means discreetly. But if you mess up, you get Lead.

So, I'm going top speculate again, and again, I'm going to assert that this is informed speculation, because I know how that group works.

When Maggie and Paul were murdered, the Plombo o Plata explanation lurked dimly in the back of my mind, as a possibility. Now, in light of recent events, and from what little news has trickled out of the investigations, I find this explanation the most likely. I think AM was being sent a message.

You messed up, Alex. You had it all, but you messed up. You and Timmy got careless. Now, there is public scrutiny. Soon you will head into court, not as an attorney, but as a witness and as a defendant, and you had better keep your damn mouth shut....because there is plenty more where this came from.

I suspect that, as Alex stood there, gazing at the bodies of his wife and son on the ground at the kennel, he didn't know who had killed them, but he would have known why they were killed, and probably, who ordered up the murders.

Shut up. Zip that lip. Don't make us come to Islandton again.

So Dick Harpootlian was brought in to manage the crisis, to put a lid on, to shut out the light. I think the story about oxycodone addiction was concocted, or at least exaggerated, so that he could be whisked away to some private treatment clinic, where, presumably, his conversations would be privileged by HIPAA laws.

Again, this is just speculation, but it makes the most sense to me.

I really hope that Mr. Keel succeeds, that his investigations go where they should go, and uncover what they should uncover. But I won't hold my breath. Because I know how that group works.

Last edited:
This article june 9th

Mike Moseley, the owner of Hot Shots Billiards Club, said he had gone to school with Randy and Alex Murdaugh. Moseley had helped construct Alex Murdaugh’s house on Holly Street in Hampton, which was sold last April.

Rumors swirl about double homicide involving SC law family. Some details begin to emerge.

Being the month of feb is winter hunting season. Just a thought

Eta using the word last April versus past april.

I'm still confused. GS died in 2018. The Murdaugh's sold their Hampton home well after that, based on the article you linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member