New Zealand - Tom Phillips, 34, & his 3 children, poss in remote bushland, Marokopa, Dec'21 (prev 11 Sep 2021 *dad charged*)

from the article:
Did Phillips, who had custody of the children but was separated from their mother, deliberately drive into the sea?

Were they swept away by one of the rogue waves that notoriously strike the area?

Has Tom, an experienced hunter and bushman, “gone camping” with the children?

Although the Phillips family said in a statement that they are hopeful that is the case, they are also preparing for the fact they might never come home.

“I do fear the worst knowing the sea," Tom’s sister, Roz Pethybridge, told Newshub. “Spending 27 years on this coast, knowing how rough and dangerous it is, I am worried a rogue wave has caught one of the kids and he's gone in to save them.””

The mystery of the missing family - what's become of Tom Phillips and his kids?

From the article in post one:
"Police would now like to account for their whereabouts. We appreciate this specific appeal for information may lead to speculation the motorcycles could be involved in some way.

"This is not the case, however police need to ensure we explore this line of enquiry and want to hear from anyone who might have seen them or know where they are.""

This is the most confusing statement I think I've ever seen in a missing persons case. The motorcycles aren't involved, but police need any info about the motorcycles? Not sure what to make of that,

From the article in post one:
"Police would now like to account for their whereabouts. We appreciate this specific appeal for information may lead to speculation the motorcycles could be involved in some way.

"This is not the case, however police need to ensure we explore this line of enquiry and want to hear from anyone who might have seen them or know where they are.""

This is the most confusing statement I think I've ever seen in a missing persons case. The motorcycles aren't involved, but police need any info about the motorcycles? Not sure what to make of that,

Yes, I agree with you there. Poorly stated.

They’ve now accounted for one of the motorbikes:

“Police say they have accounted for a Honda motorcycle they believed Phillips had recently owned, and were satisfied it was not linked to the family’s disappearance. Police were still asking for assistance to identify the whereabouts of a smaller 2019 Honda CRF50.”

Search resumes for missing father Tom Phillips and his three children in Marokopa

Last edited:
'Remorseful': Father apologises after going missing for 19 days with his three children

Phillips said he is "remorseful and humbled for the unintended trouble he has caused" in a statement released by the family to Newshub on Sunday.

"We, the family of Thomas, Jayda, Maverick and Ember Phillips wish to express our relief and joy at their safe return, well and happy," they said. "In these uncertain times with so many added pressures Tom's decision to go camping without letting anyone know was obviously distressing to everybody.

"Since his return, on gaining an understanding of what lengths have been gone to, to ensure their safe return and the distress caused, he is remorseful and humbled for the unintended trouble he has caused.

"He is now coming to terms with the horrific ordeal we have been put through, thinking that they were possibly all dead."

New Zealand Family Feared Missing Returns from Camping Trip After Putting Relatives Through '17 Days of Hell'

"We are so pleased that the family have returned home," Waikato West Area Commander Inspector Will Loughrin said in a statement. "A huge range of people and resources were involved in the search for the family, this search wouldn't be possible without you. We are so grateful to you."

Loughrin later added in a press conference, per The New Zealand Herald, "This is a family that experienced 17 days of hell, really. This is a community that experienced 17 days of hell wondering what had happened to this family and these children. For the outcome to be what we always wanted is fantastic."

'Remorseful': Father apologises after going missing for 19 days with his three children

Phillips said he is "remorseful and humbled for the unintended trouble he has caused" in a statement released by the family to Newshub on Sunday.

"We, the family of Thomas, Jayda, Maverick and Ember Phillips wish to express our relief and joy at their safe return, well and happy," they said. "In these uncertain times with so many added pressures Tom's decision to go camping without letting anyone know was obviously distressing to everybody.

"Since his return, on gaining an understanding of what lengths have been gone to, to ensure their safe return and the distress caused, he is remorseful and humbled for the unintended trouble he has caused.

"He is now coming to terms with the horrific ordeal we have been put through, thinking that they were possibly all dead."

Are he and the mother together or separated? Either way, why would he think it’s okay to camp for 19 days with three small children and not tell anyone? What’s wrong with this guy?

So I guess this means that, in New Zealand, it is a crime for one's location to be unknown. Interesting.

I'm wondering if he's being charged because he had the children with him and didn't tell anyone. I searched the Offenses Act linked in the Newsweek article and could only find this charge related to wasting Police resources.

"False allegation or report to Police

Every person is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or a fine not exceeding $2,000 who,—

(a)
contrary to the fact and without a belief in the truth of the statement, makes or causes to be made to any Police employee any written or verbal statement alleging that an offence has been committed; or

(b)
with the intention of causing wasteful deployment, or of diverting deployment, of Police personnel or resources, or being reckless as to that result,—

(i)
makes a statement to any person that gives rise to serious apprehension for his own safety or the safety of any person or property, knowing that the statement is false; or

(ii)
behaves in a manner that is likely to give rise to such apprehension, knowing that such apprehension would be groundless."

I think the only thing that applies to his case here would be section b - being reckless causing the wasteful deployment of Police personnel or resources.

I could be totally wrong, this is JMO based on the article.

Edited with link to Act Summary Offences Act 1981 No 113 (as at 01 August 2020), Public Act 24 False allegation or report to Police – New Zealand Legislation

I'm wondering if he's being charged because he had the children with him and didn't tell anyone. I searched the Offenses Act linked in the Newsweek article and could only find this charge related to wasting Police resources.

"False allegation or report to Police

Every person is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or a fine not exceeding $2,000 who,—

(a)
contrary to the fact and without a belief in the truth of the statement, makes or causes to be made to any Police employee any written or verbal statement alleging that an offence has been committed; or

(b)
with the intention of causing wasteful deployment, or of diverting deployment, of Police personnel or resources, or being reckless as to that result,—

(i)
makes a statement to any person that gives rise to serious apprehension for his own safety or the safety of any person or property, knowing that the statement is false; or

(ii)
behaves in a manner that is likely to give rise to such apprehension, knowing that such apprehension would be groundless."

I think the only thing that applies to his case here would be section b - being reckless causing the wasteful deployment of Police personnel or resources.

I could be totally wrong, this is JMO based on the article.

Edited with link to Act Summary Offences Act 1981 No 113 (as at 01 August 2020), Public Act 24 False allegation or report to Police – New Zealand Legislation
Paragraph b(ii) there is pretty open to interpretation. Better log into Facebook every day or you might make someone apprehensive about your safety!

Marokopa mystery: Father, three kids spent 17 days in bush - man charged with wasting police time - NZ Herald

Considering his ute was found abandoned, half-submerged on the beach, I'm not surprised his relatives were concerned for their safety.

Obviously there's more going on here than what has been publicly revealed. More context needed. He may have had full custody, but could've have broken visitation arrangements.

Taking your three very young kids, going 17 days off the grid in dense bush, abandoning your own car and not telling a soul where you were going sounds pretty fishy to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back