Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #10

Has anyone thought of contacting Sumter County LE to see if there's any news on the case? At the time, the sheriff indicated there were a couple of people he had in mind as suspects.

I wish that topic had never come up during the presser. Whatever they think they have is almost certain to be a total reach. Cases of that age are solved by forensics not glorified guesswork.

This case did not have a satisfactory followup after identification. We heard nothing from either family. There hasn't been a televised program or documentary dealing with the long search with all the twists and turns. This case deserves treatment like that but it's not going to happen as long as the coppers think they have to chase some drug angle or whatever they are thinking.

The networks will be told it's active so they'll stay away. Then once everything fizzles out the networks will no longer be interested.

Has anyone thought of contacting Sumter County LE to see if there's any news on the case? At the time, the sheriff indicated there were a couple of people he had in mind as suspects. @worm are you local? What do you think about sending them an email or something?

I’m not in the midlands but state local. I don’t understand what has happened either after the press conf gave a little hope. I agree with @Awsi Dooger above, this really deserves a good in depth modern look, but I’m sure there are many cases that do. I mentioned in another thread about how frustrating cold cases are but if we observers are this interested, we can hope that somebody in media/LE is too.

Sorry if anybody got excited over this alert, there’s still no news but just me rambling.

It’s been almost a year since the IDs were made and this case still sets. I’m really surprised that nobody who knew these victims has come forward, I was so hoping that this news would shake some information loose that would help solve it. I guess those “persons of interest” hasn’t been a help either. This just feels so hopeless.

Sorry if anybody got excited over this alert, there’s still no news but just me rambling.

It’s been almost a year since the IDs were made and this case still sets. I’m really surprised that nobody who knew these victims has come forward, I was so hoping that this news would shake some information loose that would help solve it. I guess those “persons of interest” hasn’t been a help either. This just feels so hopeless.

Bump!
I agree.with you there,it's the end of the year!
Any news,that I missed??

"Combining old fashioned investigative work with non-public information , I developed a lead that is potentially explosive and could turn this case on its head. I have turned over this lead along with my other research to the Sumter SD. I believe this new lead will result in an arrest and a conviction.

While working on this case, I have amassed an enormous amount of information which I will be compiling into a book that I plan on releasing by the end of the year."
Rest in peace James and Pamela We love you

Bump!
I agree.with you there,it's the end of the year!
Any news,that I missed??

"Combining old fashioned investigative work with non-public information , I developed a lead that is potentially explosive and could turn this case on its head. I have turned over this lead along with my other research to the Sumter SD. I believe this new lead will result in an arrest and a conviction.

While working on this case, I have amassed an enormous amount of information which I will be compiling into a book that I plan on releasing by the end of the year."
Rest in peace James and Pamela We love you

I think about this quite often, more so than any I’ve followed here on WS. I’ve got an outside the box idea too but I even question that.

After following the Murdoch murders and other crimes this summer, it makes you wonder a little about how the criminal justice system works there. Not to imply anything underhanded, but perhaps cases are given different priorities. Maybe some people don't want to revive old problems from the past.

I don't agree, but it may be the way things are done.

I’ve often wondered if Lonnie’s son and friends were looked into. He was willing to cling tight to info to protect somebody. It’s just a rambling theory I’ve had kicking around a while.

When I first read of Lonnie's arrest and finding the gun, I thought he seemed a little old for doing that kind of thing. Not elderly, but too old to be going about murdering people.

When I first read of Lonnie's arrest and finding the gun, I thought he seemed a little old for doing that kind of thing. Not elderly, but too old to be going about murdering people.

I would expect that they ran him thru the ringer after finding that gun too. I tend to agree, he seemed to be a middle aged drinker but I’m not so sure a double murderer. But I can’t quit thinking of the murder weapon being tied to him.
I wish they would give some kind of update, even if it’s nothing.

I’ve often wondered if Lonnie’s son and friends were looked into. He was willing to cling tight to info to protect somebody. It’s just a rambling theory I’ve had kicking around a while.
Lonnie's son died in 1973,so couldn't be him.
Charlie George Henry (1952-1973) - Find A Grave...
But I do think you're right, about Lonnie being protective of someone in the circle of family and friends.

Thanks for posting,your thoughts on this!

Lonnie's son died in 1973,so couldn't be him.
Charlie George Henry (1952-1973) - Find A Grave...
But I do think you're right, about Lonnie being protective of someone in the circle of family and friends.

Thanks for posting,your thoughts on this!

There goes that theory. I thought the sons accident was after these murders so thank you for that clarification. I just keep my focus on the weapon being found local. If not for that, I would think this was someone who was passing thru, done this, and back on the go.

There goes that theory. I thought the sons accident was after these murders so thank you for that clarification. I just keep my focus on the weapon being found local. If not for that, I would think this was someone who was passing thru, done this, and back on the go.
Well, one of Lonnie's brother was listed as a CPL in US army.(for 2 yrs)
Actually, I do think that, he was the one, who gave Lonnie the gun as an Xmas present, if I am not mistaken. As far as I know, he didn't fathered any children.

Well, one of Lonnie's brother was listed as a CPL in US army.(for 2 yrs)
Actually, I do think that, he was the one, who gave Lonnie the gun as an Xmas present, if I am not mistaken. As far as I know, he didn't fathered any children.

Yea, I’ve read about the gun gift and I think the brother said the numbers were not scratched off. That is a puzzle in itself as I wonder what the purpose of grinding those off was. That wouldn’t change the barrel markings.

Just a repeat of an article of Jan ,this year:
"McDaniel said that he spent eight years trying to get answers about who these people were and what happened to them. He shared a list of potential suspects over that time to investigators."
-------------
"There are still people in of interest in the case, Dennis said."

SBM

Redirect Notice

Hard to believe,that it is almost a year ago,after they were identified,and no news or updates after it..
Hope to see it,before the year passes by...

Just a repeat of an article of Jan ,this year:
"McDaniel said that he spent eight years trying to get answers about who these people were and what happened to them. He shared a list of potential suspects over that time to investigators."
-------------
"There are still people in of interest in the case, Dennis said."

SBM

Redirect Notice

Hard to believe,that it is almost a year ago,after they were identified,and no news or updates after it..
Hope to see it,before the year passes by...

I can certainly see why this case was so important to the coroner, Ms Moore, who truly worked hard to get answers. This case just grabs you.

I can certainly see why this case was so important to the coroner, Ms Moore, who truly worked hard to get answers. This case just grabs you.

I think the circumstances of their deaths were as most of us guessed - they were an innocent, average young couple who were brutally murdered through no fault of their own. The coroner and LE know more details than the public, but reached the same conclusion. That's why they kept the case open so long.

Yea, I’ve read about the gun gift and I think the brother said the numbers were not scratched off. That is a puzzle in itself as I wonder what the purpose of grinding those off was. That wouldn’t change the barrel markings.

I agree.

It seems to me that grinding off the numbers points toward guilty knowledge of the gun having been acquired illegally, but points away from guilty knowledge of murder.

What gets me with this is even tho this was well before cell phones or cameras everywhere, it seems like this couple just appeared there in Sumter murdered on the side of the road. Info on them is just really too scant, given that this was a smaller community at the time. When I was growing up in the upstate of SC in the 80s, a stranger in town almost made the news. I’m really not convinced that this couple were hitchhiking, as we’ve discussed earlier, but a hitchhiker in town was big. Even then. I could ramble about this all night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back