Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
She said he said his name was Brian, & that his girlfriend/fiance (however he termed it) was somewhere else working on her social media site. Of course we can't be certain the man in the car was *our* Brian, but imho it's a pretty sure bet. Only LE can determine that. I found her absolutely believable. But then, I've been fooled before by liars.

Sure, but the tiktok woman claims that she has lots of communication with the FBI, yet apparently the FBI did not tell her that she had important information that should be released by FBI when appropriate. That did not happen.

Instead, the tiktok woman had lots of contact with FBI and, for whatever reason, then approached media outlets (FoxNews) to broadcast what she thinks she knows about Gabby's fiance, where he was, what exact minute he was there, where he was going, his demeanour, that he did not smell bad and so on.

It doesn't really add up for me as anything more than someone wanting to draw attention to herself and inject herself into a missing person's case. If she had relevant evidence/information about the disappearance, why is she approaching the media to tell her story?

"In a fourth TikTok video on Friday, Baker clarified that she had been in "constant contact" with the FBI in the days prior to her posting the videos.

"Everything I have told you, [the FBI does] know," said Baker. "I'm just putting this out here to maybe reach people who had seen him that day, or maybe, had been in contact with him after me and my boyfriend had been in contact with him."
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...-laundrie-hiking-in-grand-teton-national-park

JMO, but I don't believe BL ever drove that van back to his parents home. I don't believe he has been at his parents house this whole time refusing to speak with LE .And I don't know, but I'm thinking his parents home is probably being staked out by a lot of news reporters. So how did BL just walk out the door and drive away in that Mustang without notice. One has to asks what lengths would a parent go to, to protect their child.

Agreed. Unless someone else comes forward saying they picked him up and gave him a ride after the Tiktokker, he must’ve made his way back to the van on foot after being dropped off. 20 miles is way to long on foot imo though especially with the timeframe, so the van must’ve been fairly close to the dam.
After I put that timeline together last night I am not confident the van was still there at that point. There is a real possibility someone else came and took it. He was on foot on 8/29 and the timeline if right has Gabby gone by 8/29 with no reason why he would not have that van unless he temporarily ditched it after the act out of fear and went back to it later. That is a possibility. It is possible he used the TikTokers as a makeshift alibi. Because by now we know he is more cunning than we first thought.

This article from last year shows cell tower locations in the park ~ The Park Service is selling out to telecom giants

That said, what is marked on the topo map provided my LE? Is it indeed campsites?

ok y’all. For real. :eek:

This is the last time I’m gonna clog up this discussion with yet another post saying I corrected my mistake and that YES…they ARE campsite numbers and that I’m sorry (NOT sorry) for getting possibly excited that there may have potentially been phone pings from the frickin phones that EVERYONE has been HOPING and PRAYING that LE has found or has access to.

that said, the map, marking CAMPSITES, was indeed posted by the FBI.

This is about as bad as the heated debate about who was the “victim” or the “aggressor” on the 12th.o_O

Apologies for my snark. I’ve lost count of the number of times that I’ve had to respond to this mistake of mine. I see lots and lots of misinformation and mistakes on here but perhaps I’m just missing where all those mistakes are being called out over and over again because I just want to make sure I correct mine.

thank you for posting the cell tower locations! That is and could be useful information. :)

I can't see either of them hiking the Pacific Crest Trail and not having a vehicle nearby. They were dedicated car campers. Have you seen what they ate? Precious, expensive, hippy food. They liked their showers and there t'aint many of those on the Pacific Crest Trail.

Well, he either dropped her off or she met up with another hiker or two along the way. She texted her mom (if its true) on the 30th I think that she was in Yosemite. Brian could have drivin back right away and be home in Florida by September 1st.

I still think there is a good chance she DID go to Yosemite. I also think Brian's flight back home to the storage locker was to bring some camping and hiking gear back for Gabby. It was obvious their trip wasn't working out, so they probably decided to part ways. She would go off on the Pacific Crest Trail or something, and he would return the van, lawyer up, and enjoy the media frenzy.
But not call her momma .....she didnt part ways with her friends and family... and you dont need a lawyer for just parting ways.
This is my first post, but I've followed another case on Websleuths for a while. Since this one's local, I've been keeping an eye on it all week and thought it would get big but never expected this!

I just want to clear a few pieces. My apologies if these have already been addressed, as I can't quite keep up with the whole thread!
-Jackson Hole and Jackson are not totally equivalent. I think the TikTokker added to this confusion, but there is a distinction. JACKSON is the name of the main town in the area. So if BL asked for a ride "to Jackson" he was just asking to be taken into town. JACKSON HOLE is more of the region -- the whole valley that includes Jackson, a few other small towns, and most of GTNP. The campground they're looking for GP in is in Jackson Hole, technically, but still an hour or so north of Jackson. When BL asked to go to Jackson he was actually still in Jackson Hole. (A side note-- almost no one around here refers to "Jackson Hole" anyway unless we're out of town saying where we live. It's just called "the valley" locally.)
-Spread Creek Campground is not part of GTNP. I think the Daily Mail got this wrong. It's in Bridger-Teton National Forest. It is very close, almost bordering the park, but under a different agency. So you don't need reservations or a permit but probably need to register at the campsite due to stay length limits (5 days at the time of their trip). (More info here: Bridger-Teton National Forest - Dispersed Camping Areas (Undeveloped Campground))
-The idea of BL camping with only a small backpack and a tarp seems, to be honest, preposterous to me. It gets cold at night and you'd need a good sleeping bag even if you don't have shelter. Plus, all food items need to be secured from bears, and if he's just camping wherever, he would need a bear canister. He doesn't seem like he'd know how to set up a bear hang. It is still possible that he just didn't care and was lucky enough that all the hyperphagic bears around here didn't try to find his food. So I'm not saying he didn't camp with only a little backpack but it would be... unusual... and foolish IMO.

On another note, it has been rainy and very windy in the area this whole afternoon. Any search efforts for GP may have been hindered somewhat by the weather. Rain and very cold weather are expected tomorrow... I doubt it will snow where they're looking but will be pretty close.

I think he could have jumped out cause he saw the dam and knew the area and wanted out there or got spooked if she was texting her mom or something she said....

Any ideas if you can park overnight at the Dam....like at the Jenny Lake Parking Lot.

I'm curious why the tiktok person, who picked up a hitchhiker in the area where Gabbie last spoke with her mother, is taken seriously.

I'm sure that tiktok picked up a hitchhiker, but does she have a photo or something to prove that the hitchhiker is related to Gabby's disappearance? We know that she reported the info to FBI, and then she reported it to the media, but does it really fit with what we know about Gabby and fiance wanting to remain close to the van? Gabby did not want fiance to drive away in the van without her, even though she should have expected that he'd be back soon - after they'd cooled off from the disagreement.

Why would they park the van and hike 10 miles to a campsite? The tiktok person claims that they picked up a hitchhiker who was heading to Jackson, but when she mentioned that they were driving to Jackson Hole, he panicked and demanded that they let him out of the van. Most importantly, is it believable that they parked the van and hiked 10 miles to camping spot?

What's the story - that they did not park the van at Jackson Hole, but farther away?

"He approached us asking for a ride because he needed to go to Jackson and we were going to Jackson that night. So I said, you know, 'Hop in,' and he hopped in the back of my Jeep," Baker said. "He offered to pay us like $200 to give him a ride like 10 miles. So, that was kind of weird."​

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...-laundrie-hiking-in-grand-teton-national-park

1. She sadly may not have been alive by then.

2. The TikTok girl specifically said that BL told her and her BF that his "fiancée" was back at their van updating their social media. Far too detailed to be coincidental.

MOO.

The information about the storage unit comes from Mike Schmidt, Gabby's uncle, on Gabby's family's web page. I don't know what his evidence is. But we do know that Gabby stayed in a SLC hotel for multiple days during the same time, which was not characteristic of her.

Now I'm wondering if she didn't tell her family (or at least one person) what had happened. She didn't like to drive the van so she stayed put. Then they made up and Brian flew back.

I trust that LE has investigated storage unit records.

This trip has always been in my hmm box since I first read this story. There is some hand written notes on it from the uncle that was posted to SM. The note does not mention storage, just that Brian was back in FL. The storage story is only referenced in the Daily Mail article when her mom is asking about "where is Gabby's stuff".

I find this part of the story particularly interesting for a couple reasons. 1.) as you mentioned, perhaps she hid things or even lied to her parents about things. 2.) I would think that her parents were well aware of the flare up on 8/12, but were they? 3.) It has been reported that the father ordered pizza for her on 8/21 and that he noticed no red flags. Where is Gabby Petito? | WFLA This to me is remarkably strange. How would the family know about her being in a hotel and Brian being in Florida and not consider this as a red flag, especially in light of they had a bit of a fist a cuffs?

There is more there I believe. I think that GP's parents don't have the full story from their daughter either. The timing of it all just seems, I don't know, off. I am sure all of this has been discussed in detail with the FBI.

Great. So when/if they find him will LE say they're at his campsite doing a welfare check? BL could say, "OK, Great. I'm fine. Please leave me alone. See you in a week or two."

End of story.

Why devote so much resources?
Speculation has been LE knows more, and maybe isn't being transparent publicly. In order to designate BL as a "missing person", there really needs to be other circumstances. Any healthy law abiding adult can go wherever, take a hike, not go home, etc. But this is a "missing person", so something else is up, IMO.

The parents claimed that he disappeared in his car and that they found it in the parking lot for that park. They decided to drive it home.

What kind of a parent would take away a car that would have been their son's ride home? Something's not adding up.

If my kid's car was found at a trailhead and he didn't come back to it, I'd stay there until he did - and before too long, I'd file a missing person report. I wouldn't take the car away.

Totally preposterous.

I think it's more a question of how many "Brians" could there have been on that road on that day trying to hitch a 10 miles ride for $200, then abruptly dash from a vehicle? Who coincidentally claimed a partner working on her own social media site? I'll go with one Brian: Laundrie.
Yes, it's very unlikely there's another Brian that looks just like him, who has a blogging girlfriend etc. I just mean, if this incident was for real, wouldn't it point more to his innocence than his guilt?

Agree it was the Jackson Dam... I keep wondering if the van was in a nearby parking lot... The Spread Creek campsites is about 20 miles away from the Dam. We were speculating on the spread creek camping because people reported the van there. and it is East southeast of the Dam. So maybe they are searching this area....
still far to be on foot.

It's only a bit over ten miles from Jackson Dam to Spread Creek Google Maps

yes. Didn’t his sister say something to this effect? That he flies Home whenever he …. Then she caught herself and said she should not go there. Some thing about it’s under investigation. I am paraphrasing.
Yes! One impression I got from GP and BL is GP is fight and BL is flight in a fight or flight situation.

Is Spread Creek Campground in Moran?

We rented a place in Moran for a week in the early 1990's. Had to be evacuated due to a wild fire.
Tetons are so beautiful....lots of bald eagles and moose back then.
I hope Gabby is found alive and well.
( Dreams are free.)
IMHO
Probably 5-7 miles away. Yes. A very nice area a bit away from the constant traffic of the main park roads.

Petito's Utah hotel, where she was last seen publicly, was 2 blocks from FBI field office: report

Missing woman Gabby Petito was just two blocks away from Salt Lake City’s FBI office last month when she was last seen in public at a hotel near the airport, according to reports.

Petito checked out of the Fairfield Inn and Suites on Aug. 24, soon before she went missing, FOX 13 of Salt Lake City reported.

Her mother said she last saw her daughter over Facetime around the same time that the 22-year-old and her fiancé Brian Laundrie were believed to have left Utah for Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.

Gabby Petito: Police searching for her fiancé, family says he's been missing for days: LIVE UPDATES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member