Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think @cady had a good theory on a previous thread. I don't know how to quote from a previous thread properly, but here's a link to the post:
ACTIVE SEARCH - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #13

• Like others, I think the TikTok poster Miranda Baker sounds credible and conscientious and disagree with Gabby's parents that the timeline is off. While of course it could've been someone else that Miranda and her boyfriend picked up, I think it was Brian and that he still would've had time to drive back to Florida. (Assuming that it was he who drove the van back to Florida).

Scenario 1: -- as @cady suggests, BL and GP and their van are at or near the Spread Creek Dispersed campsite. They argue, he kills or injures her. He then hikes (yes, hiking 10 miles is doable for many, though I don't know if it's doable for him) or hitches north to Colton Bay, showers, and then hitches south toward Jackson, wanting to pick up the van and get out of there. Some questions/comments:
  • If he initially said he wanted to go to "Jackson," why did he panic and get out of the car when was it mentioned? Someone suggested that there are two roads going south, one of which is closer to the Spread Creek campground, and he realized they were on the one further west. So he didn't get out to hitch, as he said, but instead to hoof it to the campground and get out of there.
  • If he wanted to build an alibi that someone else killed her, shouldn't he have reported her missing when he got back to the campground and acted distraught? Maybe he realized that wouldn't hold up?
  • Like others, I wonder if the tent was found in the van. It sounds like he didn't have it on him.... Could he have mentioned camping with a tarp not only to claim to have been gone for several days but to draw attention away from the tent? Could he & GP have fought in the tent -- could he have killed her there and then disposed of the tent and her?
  • This scenario or something like it may be why LE is searching at Spread Creek campsite.
Scenario 2 -- maybe BL and GP went north, to the Snake River area, with the van (or possibly without it, but hard do see why they'd do that). He then killed her and hitched south to Colton Bay, where he showered and cleaned up. Questions/comments:
  • Why would he then have wanted to hitch to Jackson -- why not hitch back north? For an alibi? But if he needed an alibi, why freak out when he's actually being taken to Jackson, where he asked to go? Confusion about geography -- did he think Jackson was north of Colton Bay? (Maybe GP was the navigator to his driver, though in that case, it's odd that he made it all the way back to FL on his own.) Maybe he wanted to go south for an alibi, but then changed his mind wanted to back to the van pronto to drive back to FL?
  • This scenario, or something like it, may be why an area of Yellowstone is being searched. (At least, that's what I've heard.)
Another question:
  • Are there cameras at Colton Bay? Did anyone see him there? What direction did he come from? What did he look like when he got there -- what was he carrying, and did he indeed take a shower?
JMO.

Just one small point: it's 18 miles from the beginning of Spread Creek dispersed camping area to Colter Bay. I took the geo coordinates from the Dyrt site that Gabby used.

43°46'20.4"N 110°29'03.9"W

It's possible that it's a bit further. So this puzzles me.

Did he really walk from the campground to Colter Bay? Or did he hitchhike? or did he take the van and just pretend to hitchhike (approaching several different people) and then trying to make sure they remembered that he's the guy traveling with the Youtuber gal - so that they'd remember him and help alibi him?

I think their actions have done the complete opposite of trying to make him look not guilty, I understand lawyering up but I don’t put the lack of cooperation screams guilt. They refused to communicate with GPs family way before LE was involved, suspicious behavior. Their actions seem deliberate and with purpose and that sole purpose is to protect their son, nothing for the girl that lived with them for a year, was possibly going to be part of their family.

See the part about them not thinking straight.

It's not sympathy, just imagination to try to think of how these parents might respond to a son they had always bailed out telling them he had done something that was beyond their control to make right for him.

I also believe the hard case w/ foam the officer opens is a gun case. It makes even more sense if it was pulled from a glove box or trunk of the vehicle. ("lapse of time and pause for thought“). Not sure of FL gun laws, but I don’t think that part really matters here.

The parents must have given LE permission to open the car and specifically look for IMO the known firearm. Kind of interesting they didn’t want to do it. Maybe because of the crowds. Who knows. They are beyond frustrating and in way over their heads. IMO
In my opinion, if the parents found the car at the preserve after BL drove there, why didn't they search for the gun then, away from crowds? I think it was as simple as police asking if they had any firearms and were they missing (in relation to BL missing), they would have said, the gun was in a case in the Mustang. If there was a gun, I think they knew it was already missing. I am of the belief this is a smoke screen, they probably didn't know it would get so far out of hand with the search. They might have thought that the police would back off if BL was reported missing. MOO

Last edited:
I can't help but thinking that if LE would have acted earlier, the whole situation would have been solved. What was the reason they didn't get search warrants for the electronics (phone, laptop, etc) early on ? a week ago? They lived together as a couple, she also had property there, the van was registered to her.... what were they doing? waiting for BL to talk to them? when they finally entered the house - he already left and probably either escaped or commited suicide. He can plead the 5th and not talk to them but why did they wait so long to enter the house? the house SHE lived in !

off topic, the story is making news all over the world. I am from Israel and it even reached several media outlets here & the news (and we have plenty of issues in the news if you know what I mean:rolleyes:) so the whole world is worried about Gabby.

If I were a parent and my kid was going through this, there's no way I would let him go wander around a swamp, or alternatively, drive him to a swamp with a full back pack to wander around for the day. If they let him go, or if they drove him (my suspicion), it was to do something specific--meet up with someone, pick up another mode of transportation or something. He had a big backpack. He was going somewhere. They probably thought they would hear of confirmation of his arrival within some reasonable time frame. By Friday, they either hadnt heard from him or his liaison may have let them know he hadnt arrived. OR, alternatively, they took him someplace completely different and the swamp is to give the LE something to do while he gets away, although that seems to be a lot more planning intensive than the parents have shown themselves to be capable of.
I'm not a parent, but I agree with you completely. I can't imagine a possible scenario where reasonable parents would be okay with this, which kind of just leaves two options: they arranged for someone to pick him up or they just... perhaps made a mistake
in their judgment as parents (not sure how to word this appropriately).

RE: The ownership of the van and LE statements.

Besides LE saying "they didn't know" in response to who owned the van was there a new development I missed on that? If not logically, that should be the easiest thing to figure out who the van was owned by; even on traffic stops, LE can find out who a vehicle is owned by in mere minutes. I have to believe the "I don't know" statement was more of a no comment and think they are probably all physically emotionally exhausted, and it was just a slip-up.

On another note, I also have to believe LE has an excellent reason to keep searching the reserve/preserve. If dogs picked up scents of BL going deeper into that area, then it doesn't make sense the purpose of him driving the car there was to throw off LE. It's more likely he did go deeper into the area to escape or harm himself. I don't think they are just randomly searching the area and spending this much time there without good solid evidence he is there but not putting all the eggs in that basket just yet.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact his parents thought it was a good idea for him to leave the house in the first place to go on a "hike" amid all this chaos. Who would ever think that is a good idea??? :eek:

Just a few of my random Sunday thoughts!

Not sure, but surely it would be a simple thing for the parents to tell LE to whom the vehicle is registered. They refuse, it seems. That may be significant. imo.
It's been addressed by LE:

"Mr. Taylor had said the police had no reason to arrest him after he returned to Florida in the van, which is registered to Ms. Petito and had not been reported stolen. “The reality of that situation is that it was a common-use vehicle between the two of them,” Mr. Taylor said. The state law does not allow the police to arrest Mr. Laundrie any more than it allows for the arrest of a teenager found driving his or her parents’ car."​

Police Search Florida Wilderness for ‘Person of Interest’ in Van Mystery

ETA: "Mr. Taylor" here referring to North Port Police Department spokesman Joshua Taylor

People ask this over and over and over again.

It has been stated by Gabbie's mother but we don't know how she knows.

There may be proof ie gas station footage.

Or maybe the neighbours told her.

We don't know BUT the police may. The public doesn't know all the verified facts. Those details are not all shared with the public.
I have been a WS member for years and lurked for a long time before that and I've never seen threads move so fast before! It's almost impossible to keep up so I apologize in advance if anything I ask has already been covered.

I'm wonder why GP's mom is dismissing the TikTok video. Seeing him on the 29th gives him a minimum of 2 full days (30th, 31st) and 2 partial days (29th/1st) to get to Florida. I've done 13 hour drives with my two young kids by myself in one day. A guy in his 20's running on adrenaline can certainly drive 35 hours in 2+ days. MOO
Do you know where that report is? I'm curious to see it because LE does not seem to be dismissing it.

Mulling over the actions of Brian's parents, I remember back to watching Casey's parents.

Did not think parents would be capable of how they ended up acting, but? Would you turn in your child, or just stay silent and call a lawyer.

I thank god, I have never been in a position like that. What if he told them it was an accident, and he refused to speak with LE? They called lawyer....and he told them, dont talk.

I totally agree - and you have the second account of the elk hunters that saw the van on the 29th. Gabby’s mom may be forgetting that there are 31 days in August.
Spotters I believe for herd counts, hunting isn’t allowed in National Parks, few exceptions!
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabby Petito case: Cops obtain cell tracking data for missing woman and Brian Laundrie

Police in Florida investigating the disappearances of Gabby Petito and her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, have obtained some cell phone tracking data for them — but still need to secure search warrants to get “complete access.”
Investigators in North Port aren’t able to track the phones’ real-time locations, though they now have limited access to information about the couple’s movements, according to ABC7 reporter Jeff Butera.

“They need search warrants for devices. North Port PD is still working to get ‘complete access’ to the phones,” Butera wrote on Twitter.

Petito, 22, went missing on a cross-country road trip with Laundrie, 23, in a converted van to tour national parks in the US West.

Gabby Petito case: Police have obtained cell tracking data

What if they were in phone/text communication on Tuesday/Wednesday with a plan that they pick up the car and he’d let them know when he wanted a ride home, after his “hike”?

But he went silent on Thursday and they also noticed their gun missing so they called the attorney/cops?
That could be, but apparently they picked up the car on Tuesday, the same day he went for his hike. But you could be absolutely correct, maybe I'm too critical, I just don't believe them at all now.

I can just imagine my father long ago if I came home from a roadtrip with my boyfriend's car, and I wouldn't tell him why I was alone, why I had boyfriend's car, where he was, and that I didn't want to talk to boyfriend's anguished parents or boyfriends 5 young siblings, etc. I'd still have an aching fanny, and he would have taken me to the police pronto.

Last edited:
It's been addressed by LE:

"Mr. Taylor had said the police had no reason to arrest him after he returned to Florida in the van, which is registered to Ms. Petito and had not been reported stolen. “The reality of that situation is that it was a common-use vehicle between the two of them,” Mr. Taylor said. The state law does not allow the police to arrest Mr. Laundrie any more than it allows for the arrest of a teenager found driving his or her parents’ car."​

Police Search Florida Wilderness for ‘Person of Interest’ in Van Mystery

Not the van. The mustang.

I have been a WS member for years and lurked for a long time before that and I've never seen threads move so fast before! It's almost impossible to keep up so I apologize in advance if anything I ask has already been covered.

It's moving so fast, I'm afraid to comment or ask questions myself. I have a question about why GP's mom knows the van left the 27th or 28th but idk how many times it's been answered & I'm not able to read every single comment on these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave