Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sad that the last video we have of her is in police bodycam footage crying and being distraught and upset after getting pulled over by LE because of her arguments with BL.

And when I think how BL managed to hoodwink those Utah cops and play it all cool and pal like with them....grrrr!
I wish they could've said "Why is your girlfriend so hysterical and upset, what are you doing to her?"

Suspicions should've been raised, but weren't. And the cops were talking about arresting Gabby and putting HER in jail!!!

I just can't.....

This is what makes me so sad, this incident would only have convinced Gabby that no one would believe her if she did tell anyone that BL was psychologically torturing her. I think by the point of this incident though, BL had already manipulated Gabby into believing she herself was mentally unstable, LE referring to her as the ‘agressor’ that day and calling it a domestic violence case would only have solidified her belief that she was a bad person.
All police officers should be trained in identifying the small signals of gaslighting/emotional abuse/ reactive abuse. When they asked BL ‘are you always this hyper?’ That should have been a red flag for someone experiencing duper’s delight because he was manipulating the officers and getting away with it IMO

Isnt it interesting that the people who preach about never talking to the police are the ones who are outraged that the suspect in this case didn’t immediately talk to the police upon his arrival in Florida. The Constitution is convenient when you want it to be.

Domestic violence laws work both ways. He was the one who had scars and marks on him. She didn’t. The officers handled that incident very professionally.

She had a mark on her face, and in his own words, BL claimed while he was trying to take away the keys to HER van, he pushed her before she hit him with her phone.

Except for him fleeing across the country in her van.

Except for him not reporting an event in Wyoming, and not reporting her missing when he arrived home.

Except for him and his family callously ignoring communication from her parents, wondering where she was.

Except for him refusing to tell law enforcement when and where he last saw her.

Except for him taking off, and hiding like a coward.

Except for her body being left to rot where they were camping.

So let me ask you this:

Are you kidding me?

That's all circumstantial, though. The prosecutor will need some hard evidence for the best possible shot at a conviction. I very much hope they find some.

>Except for her body being left to rot where they were camping.

I'm not so sure they were camping there, at least as far as the specific spot where the van was recorded in the YouTube footage is concerned, as it doesn't appear to be a designated camping site. It is, however, directly across Spread Creek from where her body was found. It could be that they just happened to park there and then events transpired, or that he drove there to deal with her body.

Well this is not the outcome I was hoping for. I feel so bad for her family and friends. I am heartbroken she is dead. There is no way to know how she died at this point, so we wait for more info. My thoughts and prayers are with her family now. so very sad.

Teaching our children that actions have consequences comes from a place of love.
That lesson protects them in a way that "covering for them" never will.
If children don't learn they are responsible for their actions, there may come a day they do something that cannot be covered.

Your words of wisdom are much appreciated. It may be considered tough love in some instances, but there is no better way of teaching your child to face up to their responsibilities, and not run and hide. imo

I saw that too but I dont think they ever addressed what it was.

Usually when a body is recovered LE will set up a tent over the body (due to media helicopters and such) and one is a processing tent where they move the evidence to in order to be logged and bagged to take back to the station. Like the clothing, or anything around the scene that may be crucial to the investigation. I’m sure they are collecting anything that remotely looks like it doesn’t belong out there.

I feel sad that the last video we have of her is in police bodycam footage crying and being distraught and upset after getting pulled over by LE because of her arguments with BL.

And when I think how BL managed to hoodwink those Utah cops and play it all cool and pal like with them....grrrr!
I wish they could've said "Why is your girlfriend so hysterical and upset, what are you doing to her?"

Suspicions should've been raised, but weren't. And the cops were talking about arresting Gabby and putting HER in jail!!!

I just can't.....

Totally feeling this. With all we now know about violence against women, police need to be better educated and equipped for dealing with these situations.
She was sobbing - offer counselling. He put a mark on her face - ask questions. He had a history of coercive control. So many red flags.
Yes she put marks on him too but there was such an imbalance of power, she was not a physical threat to him. Instead SHE was cautioned and they were allowed to continue alone together in a remote setting despite all the warning signs. Two weeks later she’s dead.
Such a preventable tragedy.

On the timeline on first page it says it says
"Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Note: a vehicle left driveway at 6:04pm

That was Tuesday,same day parents said BL went missing.I'm guessing that vehicle that left took BL to his getaway spot.

Rip, Gabby. Very sorry for her parents and everyone close to her.

(Also, hope that the two other people who disappeared in that park will be eventually found, too).

Finding her body and the Laundry's reaction make suicide or accident very unlikely. Probably manslaughter, with family involved in coverup, but it is just my assumption.

I hope they will find BL and we shall have a certain ending to this sad story.

Last edited:
Isnt it interesting that the people who preach about never talking to the police are the ones who are outraged that the suspect in this case didn’t immediately talk to the police upon his arrival in Florida. The Constitution is convenient when you want it to be.

Domestic violence laws work both ways. He was the one who had scars and marks on him. She didn’t. The officers handled that incident very professionally.
I agree. It's hard to completely assess a situation in an hour during a crisis. They were both seemingly calm, didn't seem like a danger to themselves or each other and so they separated them for the night and moved on. I'm sure all those officers who were there that night are playing the "what if" game, but looking at that video today is really taking the entire thing out of context, they had no idea Gabby would be killed just days later. My heart goes out to them as well.

Pretty sure this family will be condemed if they didn't offer their condolences, and if they did offer their condolences. They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Pre-judged.
Well, instead of offering a hollow statement of 'sending prayers to the family'- the same desperate family they coldly refused to acknowledge for weeks--they could have offered a sincere apology and said how sorry they are for the outcome and they wished they had handled it differently.

But yes, if they offered hollow condolences or didnt offer any, they would be condemned.

It is kind of hard not to condemn their behaviour because it was disgusting and indefensible, imo.

Pretty sure this family will be condemed if they didn't offer their condolences, and if they did offer their condolences. They are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Pre-judged.

That’s probably true. But I don’t think that judgment is without reason. They’ve shown from the beginning the lengths they will go to defend their golden boy. I don’t want to hear from them. It’s an insult to Gabby’s true loved ones.

I am sympathetic toward everyone involved and am keeping an open mind in regards to Brian's role in this.

So...you think that Gabby (found 200-300 yards from the van) wandered off and died. Okay.

But why didn't Brian report her missing? That's the lowest level of involvement.

How did he know she was dead rather than lost? He must have had some reason not to report her missing. Slightly higher level of involvement.

<modsnip - no link>

That's not involvement? Why did he not alert other people at the campground? She. was just yards away from two different roads.

Are you thinking it was assisted suicide?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that we are defending Brian; it's more that we are pursuing the truth of what really happened and not allowing ourselves to get lost in the guesswork. There's a keen difference.

And for some of us we are also feeling compassion and concern for everyone involved in this case. This includes Brian.

How do you know he's not?

Some one else asked grieving so much that he has to lawyer up? No.... He probably doesn't give a **** about lawyers right about now. He did run home to mom & dad. So you want to crucify him for that? Could he have said something. Truth? Probably not. Really. Could his parents? Perhaps. Nothing anyone said was going to change anything though and I haven't seen GP's parents being receptive. Let's see how this unfolds but I think folks are expecting others to behave in very experienced ways when in fact, these are experiences that none of us (with few exceptions) have ever experienced.

Actually I'm all for keeping an open mind, but I have to disagree with you. A lot could have been different had he come clean right away whether he was guilty or he WASN'T guilty. It wouldn't have brought GP back, but it would have lessened a lot of the family's pain for the last month and in the end, BL would have been a lot better off in legal terms now that her remains are found. His actions just makes him look a lot guiltier than he might have been, which is too bad for him.

I agree that hindsight is 20/20 and there's no point in arguing about that, but I think most people are morally outraged that he and his family seem to have put his own wellbeing above EVERY OTHER CONSIDERATION. So the anger that is out now was brought about by no one other than BL himself. Now if you're angry at the anger, that seems exactly like the sort of logic BL would use to blame GP for not being calm when he himself was causing it. Don't you think?

All of it is MOO of course.

Last edited:
I would not be so quick to blame B.L's parents.What if they had really tried to get the information from him but he just would not talk about it.You can't force someone to talk.Maybe they tried and tried and just could not get him to talk about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member