Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lot of respect for the posters who do not rush to judgment. We need people in our society who do not reach for pitchfork before gathering all the facts. They are jury material.

That being said, BL's own actions have made him look like the prime suspect. Many of us see the choices he's made as an "absolute" indication of guilt. However, I can imagine some sort of intense trauma happening out in the wilderness that could make him behave irrationally, such as an acid trip gone wrong or a scuffle that turned into an accidental death. I do believe he "feels" responsible for her death... odds are he probably is responsible for her death. If so, he has to bear the consequences.

Any way you cut it, I hope he will turn himself in and give Gabby's family some real answers about the last days of her life... and her death. This is super sad. They are both so young. I don't believe either of them planned for their grand summer adventure to end like this.

Chris on TIR is wondering if BL is headed to the Appalachian Trail. Well if so, I say, good luck buddy. Anyone who has done any section or thru hiking knows you need to have a plan for resupply etc. He's not a survivalist. BL would not make it very far on his own, not to mention the AT hikers who'd be more than happy to turn him in. The AT is not exactly a place you can avoid people for very long.
Agree that AT hikers would've quick to hunt him do n but disagree that you need to be wellsuplied to hike the AT. When I was doing it there were plenty of people mooching their way north. And every hostel, hotel and outfitters has a box of supplies other hikers have dumped to lighten their load. Obviously someone trying to stay out of sight will get caught soon enough if they try to mooch

Chris on TIR is wondering if BL is headed to the Appalachian Trail. Well if so, I say, good luck buddy. Anyone who has done any section or thru hiking knows you need to have a plan for resupply etc. He's not a survivalist. BL would not make it very far on his own, not to mention the AT hikers who'd be more than happy to turn him in. The AT is not exactly a place you can avoid people for very long.

I thought that may be a possibility based on his Pinterest pins. But, I agree with you. I don't think he is well equipped for that little jaunt.

Last edited:
Even if GP died from accident, Suicide or by someone other than BL, he reported nothing. When one suspects another person is in danger, disappears or is dead, one doesn’t clam up and leave everyone hanging. I have no sympathy for the Laundries. BL and parents deserves every misery caused by their refusal to to give information on Gabby

I would not be so quick to blame B.L's parents.What if they had really tried to get the information from him but he just would not talk about it.You can't force someone to talk.Maybe they tried and tried and just could not get him to talk about it.

Maybe it’s because Brian’s parents behaved like people who were trying to obstruct justice, by pretending that their son was with them for three days when it is now known, he wasn’t-and that his family apparently helped him leave (going to pick up the mustang on Tuesday, when they knew he would need it if he was going to be coming back home).

Again his choice in music has nothing to do with it, only his actions.

i actually think this is about an action. I think most would think he fled to FL completely wrought over what had happened and in shock. Instead, it appears he has the wherewithal to create a playlist entitled “ self-consumption,” which I interpret to mean music to be listened to alone within an account shared with Gabby. I can judge that action as careless and indicative of very little remorse.

Y’all. Gray Hughes is analyzing the van video rn and examining the possibility that the back door is closing just as the couple filming the video come around the corner.

Hi everyone! Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I am sorry if someone has already posted about this. If they did, I couldn't find it.

RE: Gabby's AllTrails account showing her current location as Puerto Rico

I find this particularly interesting and have a few thoughts I would love to unpack/discuss.

1) From what I understand, AllTrails.com updates your location automatically if it is linked in location settings. Does anyone familiar with the ap know if you can manually adjust this in your profile settings?

2) It says the account was created in May 2021, so it appears this would be Gabby's real account since it was made well before any of this happened / it became a news story. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts/reasons as to why it could be a fake account. It seems extremely unlikely, but I would like to rule out all possibilities if possible.

3) I can't imagine why Brian would bring Gabby's phone to Puerto Rico if that is where he ran off to. Isn't acquiring a burner phone On-The-Run 101? It seems so obvious that this would be a terrible idea and make it incredibly easy to be found. Does anyone else think he and/or his parents somehow got Gabby's phone to PR on it's own as a diversion?

4) I would assume he is keeping tabs on what people are saying about his location online if he has access to the Internet or a phone (particularly because he is a narcissist). If he is in Puerto Rico with Gabby's phone, I would think he would know that people are onto this by now...

Looking forward to diving into this!

Xx
Morgan

I have personally tested out how this works on the app. Using a VPN (which they certainly used and probably Surfshark) with my location set to Costa Rica when I installed the app my profile displayed CR. My VPN doesn't have PR, but that's not really relevant. I have switched my location back to the US and the profile still shows CR. That was a couple days ago, it does not automatically update.

@BluesClues0
I am so terribly sorry for the death of your brother to suicide. That is a pain that will always hurt.

However, I cannot agree with you regarding sympathy for Brian. True, it hasn’t been yet proven that he is the culprit in her death. But it’s too obvious to be ignored.

He was with her. With her, living in a van. With her all day, every day. Sleeping, eating, traveling together. Suddenly he is with the van only. Not with Gabby. Thousands of miles away. Yet he doesn’t call 911 across many states and across many days. He won’t speak to the police or to Gabby’s family. If he is innocent of her death, then her death would be the greatest tragedy of his life. But he ignored it. Hid it. Ran from it.

He either actively murdered her, or passively left her to die. To speculate that maybe a bear or something grabbed her and killed her, I say that anyone who loved her would have sacrificed their own life to try to save her. Imagine if she were camping with her father instead of Brian and she was attacked by someone or something. You know he’d die trying to rescue her. I measure Brian against that true love.

On another note, I do not blame the police/rangers who intervened. Law enforcement comes upon endless DV situations. I’m amazed they spent an hour trying to work it out for them. Here in NYC they would have done what they could, but couldn’t have spared the time on that one situation for that long.

Obviously this will haunt them now, wishing they could have removed Gabby from that situation. But I don’t think there was anything that suggested to them that this was going to go way worse. Police deal all the time with DV victims who are beaten bloody, have broken limbs, slashed with a knife and so on. That this seemed like a more minor instance of DV seems reasonable IMO, and I think they put a lot of effort in to try to ease the tension. They also were being magnanimous to Gabby by not arresting her and putting into the system.

It’s only hindsight now that the system would have actually protected her.
IMO JMO MOO

IMO, I see 2 main possible scenarios...#1. Maybe they were arguing or something, and she slipped and fell on that loose gravel, and hit her head on something hard, and passed out. ( I think that will be easy enough to determine from the autopsy.). He got scared, didn't know what to do, and ran. I think , if that were the case, if he had gone for help right away, he might have been able to save her life.

#2. Same thing, they were arguing, he shook her, or choked her, and she passed out. But in this case, if she recovers, she could make sure that he gets arrested for attacking her, or for attempted murder, etc, so he says, 'Oh no! I can't save her! She'll came back after me." So he panics and runs.

(I will recommend skipping this paragraph if you are looking for an unbiased viewpoint). I do not have a son his age. Maybe I would also try to protect him from the police , even if he had done something horrible. But just from what I've read about his mom, I know she loves him very much! But at the same time, I think she has babied him, and not prepared him for an adult world. I just can't see many acceptable reasons for abandoning Gabby there, and not calling 911.

Oh gosh... she's like someone's dream daughter (*sniffle*). Don't you just want to hug her and kiss the top of her head?
I agree and think I know what you mean, but if she'd been the ugliest girl I'd ever seen I'd still be just as interested in this case and looking to solve it. Sadly, I wonder how many others went missing this year and we never even heard about them.

So moving off the discovery into where he might be...Does anyone else think he has somehow made it to Georgia and perhaps the beginning of the Appalachia Trail? Several posts from their and I found at least 2 hikes they made in Georgia and this follow on BLs IG...
Login • Instagram

Absolutely. If not in this situation, then when would they watch a POI in a missing person case. Especially with the lawyering up, and his parents refusing to help.
This i

This is what I was saying in an earlier post, that shouldn't he be under constant surveillance. I just assumed due to the rules in the USA (I'm not Am.) that he couldn't be followed at that point, but sounds like he could've and should've been!

You know what's been puzzling me... is the fact whatever happened happened AFTER a LONG video of them talking to LE in Moab about their physical fight. You'd think he would have kept that in mind as it could be evidence (At least I think it can).
If there is a trial the complete body cam footage, as opposed to the incomplete officers' notes will tell a huge story.

I've seen and read nothing about it either way. In the helicopter LE seemed to be looking at a few different spots, likely looking for any evidence, so I don't think we can tell anything.

I don't think we will know until the FBI releases the findings from the coroner. In the UNRELATED Moab case, they described how the bodies were found when they released the cause of death. So I assume it will be similar here unless they withhold it.
Thank you! I was afraid I'd missed something.

<rsbm>

Many, if not most convictions are based on heavy circumstantial evidence, not so much direct evidence.

Difference between circumstantial evidence and direct evidence is that circumstantial is evidence that is open to reasonable interpretation by a reasonable person reviewing it (i.e. even autopsy results are circumstantial because they are open to interpretation, whether by the medical examiner, LE, or the public). Direct evidence on the other hand does not require interpretation (eye witness accounts, surveillance video of the murder).
THANK YOU for this. It really bugs me when people say, "Oh that's all circumstantial evidence" as if it's not real evidence. Fingerprints are circumstantial. DNA is circumstantial. People hear "circumstantial evidence" and think it's not real evidence and not good enough to prove guilt or get a conviction with, but it very often is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288