Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone thought he did what she thought he would do and just abandoned her? Drove off and didnt look back. And then something happened and she died as a result. Would this still be manslaughter?

I only ask as it was such a weird thing for her to accuse him of doing in the recorded police video. Who thinks their loved one would abandon them in the middle of nowhere, unless it was threatened prior.

Don't think this is what happened, but might explain his behaviour of returning home and not fleeing straightaway to Mexico. As thought she was still alive and then realised what he did. Also I wonder where her phone is. Was it in the van?

Last edited:
I’m beginning to think Brian never came back and his parents brought the vehicle to their house. Hence why they didn’t return calls or texts for days. Sept 1 they just parked the van at their house and made up the hiking on Tuesday so throw off investigators a couple more days. Seems more logical now hence nobody has seen Brian at all since august other than his so called sighting from his parents.

There's a thing called an "attorney proffer" that we use a lot in federal criminal cases. Essentially, a lawyer goes in to speak to the FBI and federal prosecutor and goes over what information their client may be able to provide if their client does decide to talk to LE. The attorney's comments are off the record essentially and it can help negotiate either immunity (if for a witness), a plea offer, or at least get the parties on the same page as to where they are. I have had cases where in response, the feds say they consider my client a witness and the information presented would not change that status. If you get to that point, you can ask for immunity for where your client essentially gets immunity for the statement they give.

The feds obviously are not going to give immunity to a murder suspect, but if you go in and explain that a tragic accident occurred, the feds will consider that and see if their information matches what you are disclosing. If the feds say thank you but no thank you, your client did not disclose the information so it isn't used against them.

The whole process is very delicate. If the facts are very, very bad, then maybe this isn't the way to go because you know you are not going to get anywhere with it. But for any theory that this was an accident or misunderstanding, the time to address that would have been last week when you can negotiate some type of deal. Now that they have her body, he has no leverage in what he can provide them IMO. And then running away... it's not great.
Ah thank you. So essentially, IF the lawyer had told them "don't say anything!" from day 1 and refused to do anything about it himself, and it had been an accident, then it would be considered that they got inadequate or even bad counsel?
But if he had done a heinous crime and there was no way to spin it make it look excusable, then and only then it makes sense to stonewall and take your chances and invoke the 5th?

I think the case is probably very straightforward and I really hope BL is found alive and answers questions as to how it all went down. But I’m guessing he has probably taken his own life and there will never be any concrete answers.

My guess is that their relationship was never as great as they portrayed it and it started unraveling after being stuck in the van together for weeks on end. By the end of the trip, they probably couldn’t stand one another and got into one final argument that ended with BL strangling Gabby.

BL panicked and wound up driving the van back to his parents house in Florida by himself.

I’m guessing he told his parents some lie initially. Then Gabby’s parents contacted them and they started questioning BL. After that, his parents probably started getting suspicious and maybe BL even told them that he did something - so they called the NY lawyer (not because he’s a high powered NY lawyer, but b/c they had recently moved from NY to FL and that was the lawyer they knew) and followed the lawyers advice not to speak to anyone.

"I'm a protective father, if my daughter cries, I'm gonna fix the problem," Joseph Petito said. "That's not something she's going to bring up to me because I'm going to get involved real quick."

He said it was hard to watch the police body camera footage of Gabby talking with police in Utah after an "altercation" with Laundrie because he "can't bring himself to see my daughter cry."

Petito said Gabby never mentioned that incident to him.

In the same video, Gabby said she "has OCD," but her father said she was never diagnosed.

"She was clean, she likes things in their place," he said. "[The van] is a confined space. Making sure things are put away...doesn't seem OCD to me."

He added that she "doesn't have mental instability," and the incident with police "sounds like [Gabby and Laundrie] were just having an argument."
Gabby Petito Case Live Updates: Father says Gabby never mentioned fight where police intervened

All four of her parents would have moved heaven and earth to get to her if they knew how she was being treated in that van. I wish she had told someone. I wish she had known she didn’t need to keep going on this road trip, that she could try again to get her channel up and running another time.

Until this case, I always read every single post in every single thread of any case that I followed. Wanted to learn, wanted to discuss, wanted to give “likes” to posts that I agreed with, etc.

Now, literally every time I sign on, the thread is just about full and there’s a new thread. So I feel apologetic about great posts I have missed, but many of us just can’t keep up, if we want to sleep and eat etc. At least I’m retired.

Having said that, I saw a post yesterday in thread #something, but the thread closed before I could reply. I imagine this has been brought up a zillion times by now and I missed it.
Someone, more than one poster, remarked on the difference between social media staged life and real life. I’m not on SM so I’m pretty ignorant of it all.

My question is, if BL was or pretended to be the environmentally conscientious type, (no plastic bottles etc.), why did he have a Mustang? I don’t know cars but I’m pretty sure it’s not an electric type of car, right?

I don’t know if anyone will even see this to answer, we must all be racing through the threads by now.

My hat is off to the mods. This forum must be a LOT of work.

BL could never have afforded that Mustang. Think about the insurance.

I think his father owns it and 23 yr old BL is tagged onto his father's insurance.

And if GP had a vehicle that she then sold for the van, what did BL contribute?

The Laundries own Juicer Services, a company started in 2017 that sells and services commercial juicing equipment. The Florida company registry lists Roberta Laundrie as the "registered agent" of the company, and a New York registry from 2018 lists Christopher Laundrie as CEO of the company.

The couple runs the company out of their home, which is a 10,000-square-foot property. The dates would indicate that the Laundries likely moved to Florida in 2017 as part of their business plan for their company.

Brian Laundrie and Petito moved in with his parents in 2019; the following year, they got engaged. The couple both worked at a Publix supermarket prior to their road trip.
Gabby Petito case: Who are Brian Laundrie's parents?

This is somewhat shoddy reporting. They do not operate out of their home - it's not a 10,000 square foot home. Someone pulled property records and just assumed there IMO. We aren't allowed to sleuth the parents so I'll leave it at that ;)

I have to believe the parents knew something based on their non response to Gabrielle's parents trying to find out where she was. There's a lot I would do for family but ignoring the pleas of GP's parents is unconscionable IMO. I see only one logical conclusion based on what we know.

A question:

Her body was found across Spread Creek (wide rocky bed with multiple channels) from where the van was parked, right?

It seems that simply walking across the bed isn't easy (mud too soft? etc) because if it was easy to walk across, wouldn't LE/SAR have done that rather than go a different route that required horseback?

IF the above is a reasonable assumption (which it might not be -- maybe there were other reasons to use horses and go the route they did), then what are the likely ways BL and GP (alive or dead at the time) got across? If he dragged her, carried her, or chased her, there would be footprints in the mud, wouldn't there?

I'm having a hard time combining the apparent ease with which BL/GP ended up across the creekbed, with the apparent remoteness/difficulty LE/SAR had in getting there.

Thoughts?

I would think they would use horseback so they wouldn't add any new footprints to the area.He may not have carried her there or dragged her there.He could walked with her there and whatever happened,happened there.

Its been stated that the couple did not see any one. It shows them actively slowing down because of interest in the Florida plates and one angle shows the male driver looks at the van right as the windows line up but the couple filming were both looking and they saw no one.

My thought is that BL was off on his own and GP was in the back of the van hanging out and had the door propped open a bit for fresh air and closed it for privacy as she heard them start to approach.

There were several other campers very close by and noise travels well out there because of the isolation. I highly doubt she passed away anywhere near the van in that location which is pointing to be her last camping spot. Instead I believe they were walking together out in the bush and something happened out there. IMO
This is what I was thinking too. I don't think he would have killed her then drug her body out in the open with other campers nearby. I think they were out walking/hiking and something happened.

The police don't know where BL is. I think they removed the parents from the house long enough to clear it. If he was there, they didn't want the parents caught up in it if there was a shootout or other altercation.

Once they were sure he wasn't there, they let mom and dad back in.
or long enough to hide listening devices inside

I think this is the impression that a lot of people have but IMO I think it's inaccurate. I think pre-Gabby that Brian spent a lot of time in the woods and has a pretty good idea of how to survive. No friends, no job, no school. What else was he doing? His ONLY interest seems to be the outdoors.

We know he's handy and knows his way around power tools -the interior build of the van was done by him. Those skills can translate into decent survival skills and especially if he's spent years in the parks of FL .

IMO a lot of people are being fooled by his soft "wided eyed" innocent doe act that he put on in the bodycam video. I don't think that is the real BL at all. Not one bit.

I think there are a lot of people minimalizing him, especially tough outdoorsy types, so they don't have to look at him and think, 'he a lot like me."

Last edited:
Until this case, I always read every single post in every single thread of any case that I followed. Wanted to learn, wanted to discuss, wanted to give “likes” to posts that I agreed with, etc.

Now, literally every time I sign on, the thread is just about full and there’s a new thread. So I feel apologetic about great posts I have missed, but many of us just can’t keep up, if we want to sleep and eat etc. At least I’m retired.

Having said that, I saw a post yesterday in thread #something, but the thread closed before I could reply. I imagine this has been brought up a zillion times by now and I missed it.
Someone, more than one poster, remarked on the difference between social media staged life and real life. I’m not on SM so I’m pretty ignorant of it all.

My question is, if BL was or pretended to be the environmentally conscientious type, (no plastic bottles etc.), why did he have a Mustang? I don’t know cars but I’m pretty sure it’s not an electric type of car, right?

I don’t know if anyone will even see this to answer, we must all be racing through the threads by now.

My hat is off to the mods. This forum must be a LOT of work.
We don’t know with any kind of certainty that it’s his Mustang. Could just be the “family” car.

I’ve watched the cleaned up video posted at the beginning of this thread. Page 2 I think if you haven’t seen it. I haven’t seen any comments here, or by the video editor, mentioning the other camper on the right side of the road. It is at the 5:42 mark.

If that camper/occupants were there for any length of time, it could/would be possible they heard/saw something. Perhaps LE is already on that. If Gabby was murdered near where her van was parked, maybe their voices were heard. In a vast open place, sound can carry far.

Attachments

• DF04B403-A38F-4DF9-AF20-3C1DCD7E6E61.jpeg
    DF04B403-A38F-4DF9-AF20-3C1DCD7E6E61.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 51
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics