SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The twist that this story has taken would any one be surprised if that gun turns out to be one of the guns that were used against MM and PM?
As in a set up?[/QUOTE]

Nothing would surprise me at this point because it’s obvious we are getting parts and pieces. In addition this is a bizarre set of circumstances in the local legal system since the Murdaughs have dominated the scene for decades.

AM is escaping what many in his situation wouldn’t. Based on that we don’t know what story we will be told next. I personally don’t believe any of it so far.

I guess he got a lawyer, finally. He talked to the New York Post of all papers! Showed them around his property, introduced his pets and then proceeded to strongly warn AM about messing with him. Good thing he's finally thinking about some self-preservation.

He’s going to need an excellent attorney starting with one that is able to fight the local convoluted system.

I agree with you. I still tend to think Maggie was the target and the rest might have been staging. As far as where our fellow sleuths have gone, I’d guess Gabby has grabbed their attention.

Aye! And, BarryMorphew's AA was released this afternoon.

I contend both victims were far too costly for them to proceed living.
PM was facing a lengthy trial with evidence stacked against him. Wasn't his father, AM, his attorney?

We know MM wasn't living w AM and hadn't been for quite some time. Ordering the forensic audit caused dominos to fall in a manner not favorable to her husband.

Two victims. Both blasted with gunfire. I don't know about PM being tortured. However, a bullet flew through his upheld arm and into his head. I think he was in a protective stance at the time.

I'm eager to learn more about the manipulation at the CS, too.

I'm wondering if he's at "rehab" at all - especially since it's supposedly "out of state". ETA: What, they don't have snazzy, 5 Star private rehabs in SC?! lol

AM may still have fleeing on the back burner (he paid no bond, he wears no GPS monitor, the filthy rich like him have access to resources and networks the peasants do not) - because it certainly sounds like his entire life is blowing up all around him ... in ways and volume even he can't dominate. We shall see if the Imperial House of Murdaugh remains standing or goes up in flames.

As life would have it, my BIL was a highly paid recruiter for an exquisite private rehab. It was nestled in the woods among tall pines and old live oaks.

Each resident had their own fabulous cabin. Well-qualified staff members counseled them back to good health, at a premium.

Even though, my BIL worked under nondisclosure agreement, it wasn't difficult to figure out who he was attempting to recruit for the refuge hidden off the main roads.

IE, when it hit the news the TigerW was in deep trouble over a sex addiction and BIL was off flying to Florida, it was a given he was in contact with TWs agents.

If he was not retired now, and suddenly had a flight out to SC, I'd know who he was recruiting.

Of note, their rehab program was brutal. No cell phones. Up at 7am for meditation before breakfast. Afterwards, they endured a vigorous exercise work out routine, health permitting, of course. Swimming, horse back riding and the like were available in the afternoons. Residents dined in a gorgeous dining lodge.

Oh, and residents prepared meals for all residents. They had to plan their nutritional menus and were carried in a van to purchase fresh foods at the market miles away.

IOW, it was not a cake walk but the results were outstanding as most preferred being sober.

I don't think AM is sipping champagne with a cigar. Rehab is difficult even when one is wealthy.

All of the above is contingent on AM actually residing at a rehab.

I don't understand what motive anyone other than Alex (the "forensic accounting" suggesting impending divorce) would have had to kill Maggie that wouldn't have also applied to Paul (emotional punishment/extortion of Alex).

Even if Paul's murder was retribution for unpunished crimes and Maggie was collateral damage, Alex was the one who got Paul out of the punishment so he could still (rightly) feel partially responsible.

Alex’s activities since the crime don't exactly strike me as those of someone riddled with guilt
though - and as more and more information comes to light its easier and easier for me to see Alex having a motive for both Paul and Maggie to die, a belief that the two of them together were threatening to destroy the dynasty his great grandfather, grandfather and his father who lay dying in a hospital bed had built.

As some other sleuths have also intimated, it's quite possible that there will be a point in the investigation that the evidence suggests it was Randolph III, the dying father, who ordered the murders to protect the estate and legacy of Randolph IV, Buster - who I would bet anything will come out of all this smelling like a rose, wealthy and in an influential political position.
RBBM. Of course not. Narcissists don’t feel guilt. His actions smack of desperation. JMO. YMMV

I think it's time to tell y'all a story.

I live in a sleepy little Southern town, that in some ways, I suppose, isn't too different from Hampton. It's about 4 times the size of Hampton, but still not too large to prevent most of us from knowing each other's business. I grew up here, although I moved away to go to college, and it was even more intimate, back then in the 60s and 70s.

By the "accident of birth" I mentioned earlier, meaning where I grew up, a number of my neighbors and friends were well-connected in that group I also mentioned earlier. They were our equivalents of the Murdaughs and Harpootlians (although not as vile). And because I was an engaging and active teenager, I was invited into the junior rank of that organization. And I must say, that they were a fun bunch. The drink always flowed freely, even (or perhaps especially) when inappropriate; they had all the right connections, and got all of the breaks in life. But, fortunately, I got out, when it dawned on me just how things work with them. I wouldn't have done well; I abhor corruption and cronyism.

We moved away from this town in 1978. The following events took place shortly afterward.

There was a man who served as the district attorney here. I didn't know him well, but my parents did. He was a pleasant sort, and in fact helped my parents out of a little jam that they wouldn't have been able to resolve without him speaking to the right person. But he was a member of that organization, as was our local sheriff (I referenced him in previous posts on another thread, in regards to narcotics smuggling and unsolved murders). It was something that one simply had to do, to attain elective office here, back then.

Now, as a member of that group, he was expected to serve their interests...meaning, that when the interests of that group conflicted with justice, the group was meant to prevail. So, from time to time, someone from the group would instruct him on how a trial should go.

Now, not long after we moved away, there was a trial, and he was told what the verdict should be. But the opposite happened. The group was angered.

Shortly after the conclusion of the trial, his teenage daughter was raped, by an unknown assailant. The group had sent the D.A. a message: Don't let that happen again. And though he may not have known who committed the crime, he would have known who ordered it up, and why. And so would the sheriff.

I was acquainted with that girl, but only vaguely. My sister knew her better; they both took dance lessons at the same studio. The girl was no Timmy; she was nice, and very proper, and I assure you, quite innocent.

But though innocent, she was no dunce. She knew why she had been raped. To be raped is bad enough; to know that she was raped, because of the actions (or, perhaps, inaction) of her father, and that her D.A. father and the local sheriff could have pursued a prosecution of the rapist, and refused to, was more than she could bear.

After struggling with this issue for a while, she committed suicide. It was a small-town tragedy that cast a dark and painful shadow over a lot of hearts.

Plombo o plata, as it is said in Mexico. Lead or Silver. It's your choice. You can have all of the Silver you want, if you play the corruption game correctly, which means discreetly. But if you mess up, you get Lead.

So, I'm going top speculate again, and again, I'm going to assert that this is informed speculation, because I know how that group works.

When Maggie and Paul were murdered, the Plombo o Plata explanation lurked dimly in the back of my mind, as a possibility. Now, in light of recent events, and from what little news has trickled out of the investigations, I find this explanation the most likely. I think AM was being sent a message.

You messed up, Alex. You had it all, but you messed up. You and Timmy got careless. Now, there is public scrutiny. Soon you will head into court, not as an attorney, but as a witness and as a defendant, and you had better keep your damn mouth shut....because there is plenty more where this came from.

I suspect that, as Alex stood there, gazing at the bodies of his wife and son on the ground at the kennel, he didn't know who had killed them, but he would have known why they were killed, and probably, who ordered up the murders.

Shut up. Zip that lip. Don't make us come to Islandton again.

So Dick Harpootlian was brought in to manage the crisis, to put a lid on, to shut out the light. I think the story about oxycodone addiction was concocted, or at least exaggerated, so that he could be whisked away to some private treatment clinic, where, presumably, his conversations would be privileged by HIPAA laws.

Again, this is just speculation, but it makes the most sense to me.

I really hope that Mr. Keel succeeds, that his investigations go where they should go, and uncover what they should uncover. But I won't hold my breath. Because I know how that group works.
Chilling. Thank you for sharing.

He'd only have to truly suffer anywhere from 12 to 24 hours before they give Suboxone which will take away all the horrible withdrawal. So you're no longer wanting to gnaw your own arm off. But then comes the hardest part... never going back.
One doesn't even have to suffer for 12-24 hours anymore, you can sleep through it and wake up in a beautiful private suite, then lounge by the pool and enjoy gourmet meals if you can afford one of the many top notch rehab choices available.

All Opiates Detox method: All programs are painless and rapid.

Our success rate is near 100% for helping patients detox off opiates without the excruciating pain and discomfort of the withdrawals.

Rapid Oxycontin Detox under sedation is a medical detoxification treatment offered for patients dependent on Oxycontin and other oxycodone containing opiates. It consists of sedating the patient and removing Oxycontin from the brain receptor while the patient is sleeping. Acute withdrawals are precipitated with an opiate blocker. These withdrawals will pass during the sedation period. Once the withdrawals are over, and the brain receptors are free of the opiate oxycodone, a blocker is placed to prevent any opiates from getting back into the brain receptor.

The blocker of choice is an implant, the Naltrexone implant lasts approximately two months, as opposed to Vivitrol (lasts approximately 28 days) or tablets (have to be taken daily).

snipped
Just wondering if AM can stay in the treatment facility for how ever long he wants, not hat he needs.

thanks….
Private rehab facilities have their own limits, my daughter was in a CA facility and the limit was 6 months, the last 3 months she had a job off site but still had therapy 3 times a day.
We found another facility that had a 1 year program but fortunately 6 months worked for her.
Long term drug rehabilitation is not cheap but has a better success rate than short term, I would recommend 3 months minimum to anyone struggling with an opioid addiction, if possible.
ETA: she didn't have a painless sedated withdrawal, some therapists don't recommend it. Not wanting to ever go through the pain of withdrawal again can be an inspiration. jmo

Last edited:
Aye! And, BarryMorphew's AA was released this afternoon.

I contend both victims were far too costly for them to proceed living.
PM was facing a lengthy trial with evidence stacked against him. Wasn't his father, AM, his attorney?

We know MM wasn't living w AM and hadn't been for quite some time. Ordering the forensic audit caused dominos to fall in a manner not favorable to her husband.

Two victims. Both blasted with gunfire. I don't know about PM being tortured. However, a bullet flew through his upheld arm and into his head. I think he was in a protective stance at the time.

I'm eager to learn more about the manipulation at the CS, too.

BBM

Do you have a link to that?

I admit that this sounds farfetched, but perhaps not inconceivable with this family?

How can we be sure that the male killed at Moselle is really PM?

A shotgun blast to the face makes visual identification almost impossible.

I'm sure they confirmed with DNA, right??
Imo

@islandpacket
We asked attorney Dick Harpootlian about the injury when it wasn’t obvious in Alex Murdaugh’s court appearance. Not even a Band-Aid.

Harpootlian repeated what he said in court the previous day, again pointing to the back of his head and reiterating there was an entrance and exit wound.

Our @WJCLNews crew was there yesterday as Murdaugh made his court appearance. Here you can see his attorney @Harpootlian4SC answering reporter questions.

Reporter: "Did Maggie and Paul Murdaugh have life insurance policies?"
Harpootlian: "No. Had no insurance."

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article254311658.html#storylink=cpy
https://twitter.com/RileyWJCL/status/1438926944595320835?s=20

I'm way behind and catching up.

Finally someone asked that question!

Back to reading.

I admit that this sounds farfetched, but perhaps not inconceivable with this family?
Imo

It appears that nothing is too sordid to be "inconceivable" in this affair.

Imagine what the police are uncovering, and how hard it must be to keep their discoveries quiet; how many reporters, blogger, and authors are pestering everyone with some connection to the investigation, with relentless questions?

OK, everyone needs to listen to this new podcast episode. They interview Eric Bland, the attorney for an Gloria Satterfield‘s sons. And he explains exactly how the fraud was pulled off!

‎The Murdaugh Family Murders: Impact of Influence: Episode #15. Death, Corruption & Missing Money on Apple Podcasts

In a nutshell, AM approached the boys at the funeral and said they needed to sue him, and he knew just a guy who could handle it, his BFF Corey. Corey took the case, but they appointed the bank guy as a personal representative. That meant that Corey didn’t have to inform his clients about any hearings or any settlement negotiations, so they were completely out of the loop. They only had to notify the personal representative, who was their other BFF. Then, once the settlement was made, Alex set up a shell company (with a name very close to a legit company that distributes lawsuit awarded funds). And the entire settlement amount was deposited into that fake company’s bank account!!

Bland knows that they were for sure awarded $25,000 for the three weeks that she survived in the hospital, plus $505,000 for the death. But he believes the actual award was $4 million (which may have been to cover the medical bills). He explains it better in the interview. It’s well worth the listen!

That bank is going to be in big trouble. The payee must match the the name on the bank account exactly. We just had a falling out with a good family friend because my DD, Mrs. Banker, refused to approve a check deposit for our friend with a check under a different name. And I'm pretty sure a banker can't be a representative for someone where settlement funds are going to be deposited.

And by the way opening an account with a similar name is very common for book keepers, accountants, and attorneys to steal funds.

You can't allow what I mentioned above because checks and balances are removed and you end up with money stolen. Major conflict of interest.

Curtis Edward Smith, 61, is charged with two drug charges in Colleton County. A judge set bond at $5,000 on a possession charge and set a personal recognizance bond on a meth charge, according to authorities.

Judge sets bond on unrelated charges for man charged in Murdaugh shooting

The drug charges are NOT related to the shooting.

I think AM knew about those previous
charges.

I wonder if AM was hoping to get something from him and he couldn’t provide.

AM had clothes in his car heading to charleston on the wrong rd, (back rd).

Jmo

Curtis Edward Smith, 61, is charged with two drug charges in Colleton County. A judge set bond at $5,000 on a possession charge and set a personal recognizance bond on a meth charge, according to authorities.

Judge sets bond on unrelated charges for man charged in Murdaugh shooting

The drug charges are NOT related to the shooting.

I think AM knew about those previous
charges.

I wonder if AM was hoping to get something from him and he couldn’t provide.

AM had clothes in his car heading to charleston on the wrong rd, (back rd).

Jmo

He was charged with the drug offenses 2 days after the shooting of AM. I wonder if they were onto him fast and they arrested him to see if they could get any info.

Fleming then allegedly chose a mutual friend of his and Murdaugh's, Chad Westendorf, to represent Satterfield's estate in the prosecution instead of one of Satterfield's family members.
This made Westendorf the only person required 'to petition the court for approval of any future settlements and/or appear at any future hearings to approve settlements.'

BBM
Wouldn't him being a VP of the bank bring in the FBI, DOJ and Department of Treasury plus the Bureau of Consumer Protection Affairs which oversees all banking activities? Maybe someone who works in a bank can answer this better than I can. In addition does representing an estate mean a trust fund for minors was set up for the boys at the bank for insurance monies to be paid into? And since he was an employee of the bank is the bank liable to pay all that money back?

JMO

JMO
Yes to all. The bank will be liable. Everyone that works for a bank, per FDIC rules, has bond insurance on them in case this type of thing happens. I personally have gone through many 10 year FBI checks to be bonded. The insurance will probably pay out quickly, or I hope so for the boys sake. The bank would have notified the bond agency as soon as the lawsuit was filed and the banker fired. That is a standard Bond Company requirement. The Feds will be involved, but I am not sure what agency. And lets hope he didn't lie about anything on his bond application forms.

Theoretically the banker could end up serving more time than the others involved with mis appropriation of funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa