Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t need a BAM. Just 12 jurors who can put a puzzle together (with the help of a good prosecution of course).

If their were 12 different trials and 12 different juries and the case was... Is Barry an honest person? or does Barry lie? I confidently feel it'd be a slam dunk guilty verdict every time, If his lips are moving, he's lying. Barry is guilty of being a jerk, that's for sure.

That said, to find anyone guilty of murder1 and to put a person away for the rest of their life based on being a jerk? I'd need a bam, a smoking gun, something more than what I've read so far.

Question: Are infographics allowed in the courtroom? I think a timeline of SM's activity vs BM's activity would be useful, particularly for May 9. I'm pretty sure a gifted infographics person could present things in an impactful, memorable way.

I hate to nitpick, but I dont agree with you about going past the bike, that road is like the only way out of where he lived in Puma Path. Going right by the helmet though which was in the opposite direction is major piece of evidence.

Although, the truck stayed in the driveway - he walked down there with the bike, IMO.

I wish they'd given Barry a planted cellmate.

The man loves to brag.

JMO
In one of Lauren’s recaps after the PH ( I forget which day) she and her camera person had made small talk with a guy out front of the detention center who just got bailed out. He said they were doubling up prisoners in other pods so BM would be totally isolated to prevent that.
I’ll try to find the video.
JMO

Did you read how Macy texted her mom on Mother’s Day and when her mom didn’t answer she was afraid they had a big fight and now she would be home all summer and her summer would be ruined?

I will bet my last dollar that Barry made sure Macy was with her mom when he wasn’t there watching her. Macy was used by him and she doesn’t even know it.

As it turns out, it wasn’t a bad summer for her after all because BM made sure to take them to Mexico for fun and frolic!

I'm pretty sure that text was from Macy to her bf, Miles. "I'm just so sad. Mallory and I texted mom for Mother's Day and she still hasn't answered and I'm scared her and dad probably got in a big fight and I don't even know it just made me want to be gone even more because I don't want to be around them it hurts me and I know if Mallory is working I might have to be home a lot more and it'll probably be the worst summer of my life."
Miles probably offered to go check on her mom after that, which would explain why he and his father were there when LE showed up. Also, MM1 had texted "I got the job." to her parents during the trip. MM2 was freaking out because she hated being in that house with her parents' constant fighting. This is extremely great evidence.

In some small crevice of my brain trying to figure out what defense might do since we now know pretty much what the prosecution story is....I wonder if the fact that Barry was interviewed so many times for so many different people if that the story will be that he was so frustrated by being asked over and over and over again the same questions he just made up stuff to get them to go away. Some of his answers were so silly they defy reason. But it is believable that he shot chipmunks to keep them away from the house, it is believable that he pitched trash all over the place, it is believable he harvested deer antlers (illegally) and most of all it is possible that he watched Elk to see their path so he could find shed antlers next season that would be pretty normal behavior..although why he said that when GPS did not show that supports the argument that he made up stuff no matter what LE person asked them and it shows LE also fed him untruths, which never goes well with juries as it feels too much like entrapment. As someone pointed out he's a liar but it might not mean he's a murderer. For me, the airplane mode is a tougher one to explain, the flat out untruths about napping in the hotel for an afternoon is a tough one for me. For the prosecution they need to explain why they didn't test the coffee cup and the rest of the DNA results in a way someone like me can understand easily.

In some small crevice of my brain trying to figure out what defense might do since we now know pretty much what the prosecution story is....I wonder if the fact that Barry was interviewed so many times for so many different people if that the story will be that he was so frustrated by being asked over and over and over again the same questions he just made up stuff to get them to go away. Some of his answers were so silly they defy reason. But it is believable that he shot chipmunks to keep them away from the house, it is believable that he pitched trash all over the place, it is believable he harvested deer antlers (illegally) and most of all it is possible that he watched Elk to see their path so he could find shed antlers next season that would be pretty normal behavior..although why he said that when GPS did not show that supports the argument that he made up stuff no matter what LE person asked them and it shows LE also fed him untruths, which never goes well with juries as it feels too much like entrapment. As someone pointed out he's a liar but it might not mean he's a murderer. For me, the airplane mode is a tougher one to explain, the flat out untruths about napping in the hotel for an afternoon is a tough one for me. For the prosecution they need to explain why they didn't test the coffee cup and the rest of the DNA results in a way someone like me can understand easily.

Aside from opening and closing arguments, how do you propose the Defense establish that Barry lied because he was bored, annoyed and tired of being asked about his wife's disappearance?

And do you really think that approach would help him - at all? I can't imagine jurors in a jury room buying that. It's still lying. And it's lying in response to new evidence against him, as they gather it. Rather damning, IMO. They'll use a timeline.

BTW, if Barry was shooting chipmunks all the time, as he says, there wouldn't be dozens of chipmunks at the perimeter of the yard and near the house, where his phone places him. Indeed, others in Salida say they rarely see a chipmunk and their backyard isn't exactly chipmunk habitat (unless someone was luring them with food).

Also odd that elk were in herds at a time of year that they don't live in herds, isn't it? Who do you think the jury will believe? A man who has changed his story SO many times (and only when confronted with digital evidence) or a wildlife expert?

What other DNA results (besides the cup) do you wish to have explained?

In my opinion, the AA is like a second draft of a really long paper. It needed further edits, revisions, and the skills of a really good writer. I’d love to see a version that was made much more succinct and to the point, cutting out the parts that add nothing to the actual evidence or even much to further the story.

Everything that is now happening in this case, and the Morphew families in particular, feels so dismissive of SUZANNE, who was MISSING and now we know is DEAD. How the Morphews can erase her is beyond my comprehension.

Thank goodness for WS and those from SUZANNE’s life who continue to uphold her light in the world.
I think one day Macy will have some questions snd when she faces Barry’s temper, she will KNOW.
Except it isn't about puzzles. It's about the state proving their case beyond reasonable doubt. You really think that will happen for murder 1? And a "good prosecution"... again where my doubts come in. This prosecution isn't nearly as good as BMs bulldog team.
Yes I do. I want justice.

If their were 12 different trials and 12 different juries and the case was... Is Barry an honest person? or does Barry lie? I confidently feel it'd be a slam dunk guilty verdict every time, If his lips are moving, he's lying. Barry is guilty of being a jerk, that's for sure.

That said, to find anyone guilty of murder1 and to put a person away for the rest of their life based on being a jerk? I'd need a bam, a smoking gun, something more than what I've read so far.

The AA will be introduced as evidence. Hopefully the prosecution will bring a forceful presentation tying it all together.

Today, if I sat on the jury and read the AA, I could easily convict him of murder one.

Question: Are infographics allowed in the courtroom? I think a timeline of SM's activity vs BM's activity would be useful, particularly for May 9. I'm pretty sure a gifted infographics person could present things in an impactful, memorable way.

They are, in every trial I've ever been involved in (and years ago, when we used poster board, that was a job I did while I was in school and continued for a couple of years after I finished). I agree that today's infographic software (and people) could do an amazing presentation - both of the basic timeline data, but also of the ever-shifting story of Barry L. Morphew (combined with the new information presented just before he changed his story again - or suddenly remembered some detail he had "forgotten" before). The walking of his phone down to where the bike was found is, by itself, a really damning detail.

The truck door opening and closing before Barry says he ever woke up. All of his movements on May 9-10 could also be summarized in a nifty little animation. (Not a cartoon, just a moving dot showing where he was at pertinent times).

I agree. Also a graphic of what he originally said, broken down by item with all his subsequent changes for each item. Contradictions, changing to fit the evidence presented to him etc.

I'm pretty sure that text was from Macy to her bf, Miles. "I'm just so sad. Mallory and I texted mom for Mother's Day and she still hasn't answered and I'm scared her and dad probably got in a big fight and I don't even know it just made me want to be gone even more because I don't want to be around them it hurts me and I know if Mallory is working I might have to be home a lot more and it'll probably be the worst summer of my life."
Miles probably offered to go check on her mom after that, which would explain why he and his father were there when LE showed up. Also, MM1 had texted "I got the job." to her parents during the trip. MM2 was freaking out because she hated being in that house with her parents' constant fighting. This is extremely great evidence.
Agree one hundred percent!

I also believe BM will gaslight Macy to the end.

ETA: I don’t think Barry can help himself. He lives to control others.

SBM for space
Re BBM
I saw you mentioning this a few times.
English is obviously not my mother tongue but to me proving something beyond the shadow of doubt is only possible if I saw it happening with my own eyes, which isn’t possible for any Jury as in that case they would be witnesses.

The Jury needs to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt which to me means something different.
In my eyes this means that after the facts presented by the prosecution and defense, and after careful consideration of those, the most reasonable and logical inference is the defendant did what (s)he is charged with.

Although, this could just be a language thing.
the elements of what would be reasonable doubt in this case starts with the absence of the body AND no DNA (bodily fluids, fingernails, etc..). So the prosecution will need to build its circumstantial case around those two vacuums, imo. Timelines must be complete and clearly identified. Electronic evidence must mesh with those timelines while eliminating estimates as much as possible. Barry's inconsistent responses to questions must be illuminated, along with an interpretation of what that inconsistency means. Motive must be spelled out with supporting evidence ($$, arguments, SMs communications to BM and others). Opportunity must be supported within the timelines, and electronic data. "Things that don't fit" must be drilled down when the timelines apply, such as Barry not taking MG at the planned time to Broomfield...Barry sitting in the hotel room for 5 hours...multiple trash dumps...Barry working for 11 minutes...and not bringing the main work horse to the job....the bobcat, when it clearly would have been required equipment, along with his vehicle presence at the bike and helmet locations. Claw marks on Barry's upper arm, concealed thereafter with long sleeves. Convenient airplane modes, and dark phones during the immediate timeframe after Barry arrived home Saturday and during the Broomfield trip...Barry communicating with MG, CC and his neighbor on the 10th...but not with LE when they reached out to him....nor with SM before or shortly after he left for Broomfield (texting in the morning...then calling a dead phone). Barry not asking about Suzanne when he arrived at the bike scene; nor looking around when he first entered the house. Personally, I think the inconsistencies...the "things that don't fit" is the sweet spot in the case...things that should be there but aren't, and things that shouldn't be there, but are. Reasonable people can interpret these inconsistencies correctly if presented correctly. JMO.

Last edited:
Except it isn't about puzzles. It's about the state proving their case beyond reasonable doubt. You really think that will happen for murder 1? And a "good prosecution"... again where my doubts come in. This prosecution isn't nearly as good as BMs bulldog team.
I want to add this whole case is a puzzle. Most “no body” cases are. Barry is guilty. It will be proven. I hope he enjoys his 8 months.

There was nothing about any wives being virgins. It's MM1 (who is at Western Colo and is the only virgin there, according to Barry). Obviously, dad and daughter had a talk about her sex life at college (eww). Why he blurts that out to friends at dinner (did I misread?) is...well, very odd.

But the virgin in the story is his daughter, who is at a college where everyone else is not.

He's very proud of that.

He has stated many nightmarish proposals about what really happened to Suzanne, and frankly, so far, we have not much evidence of what did happen to her - except that Barry's actions are very suspicious on May 9-10. WHERE did he put her??

I'm also frustrated with LE's search attempts for her body. The places that sleuths here have mentioned - have they been searched? I believe the public has a right to know. And the fact they didn't clear log jams in the river (even after Barry is seen in a creek that flows into it) is so disappointing.
Brahahah! I meant daughter! Freudian slip? :eek:

In my opinion, the AA is like a second draft of a really long paper. It needed further edits, revisions, and the skills of a really good writer. I’d love to see a version that was made much more succinct and to the point, cutting out the parts that add nothing to the actual evidence or even much to further the story.

Interesting. I found the presentation, at PH, to be succinct, to the point of coming off as desperate. Like others, I was saying "this is it?!" I got a whole different experience from reading it. It's hard to explain, but I got this overwhelming sensation of "time" being at the heart of everything:

How time was spent trying to make things work. How much time secrets were being kept. How much time was spent in dark places as things were leading up to the 9th. The time it took to commit the entire crime. The time between crime and arrest. The time between police interviews, and how stories changed, and stayed the same.

I know what you mean, about tightening up the presentation, but reading the AA has the "feeling" of a gothic novel - terror and madness drips from every page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member