Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
New statement from Petito family attorney: "I want to personally thank the press and news media for giving the Petito and Schmidt family time to grieve. We will be making a statement when Gabby is home. I will contact you to arrange a time and location."

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1440383439635574794?s=21

@PeiSzeCheng4NY

Statement from Petito and Schmidt family attorney thanking the media for giving the families time to grieve and that they will make a statement when Gabby is home
E_1Eq61VIAQp7me

I'm watching a flight tracker, I've never done that before. I'm wondering, how do they choose to zero in on an area? Do they just start anywhere? They do seem to be going over one specific area carefully, kind of by a road I think? I'm also wondering what they use for looking, do they use some kind of camera that can pick up movement or body heat? It seems from the air it would otherwise be hard to see much.

I remember seeing a photo of the SARs with orange caps, maybe it was that?

ETA link - first photo on report
Gabby Petito case: What one witness saw near the Tetons may help FBI unravel mystery
Wow, thank goodness she saw that hat sitting there on the dash!

"Petito’s case gained heightened urgency last week after police in Utah released body camera footage showing a visibly upset Petito crying after the couple had a fight.

It was that footage that convinced Schultz that what she saw might be relevant. The so-called “van life” community — a movement of nomadic adventurers who live out of their vehicles — is brimming with vans that look like the one that housed Petito and Laundrie. But the body cam footage depicted something that Schultz recalled in the van she spotted — a distinct straw hat visible from the windshield.

“My friend texted me a picture of the hat on the dashboard and I just lost my s—,” Schultz said. “And that’s when I called the FBI (on Thursday) and said, ‘Guys, look at Spread Creek.’”

Well...I'm not sure BL had the knowledge to get his van into Mexico. Getting over on foot is fairly easy (although most people wouldn't know how to do it). If he searched how to get his van into Mexico from his or Gabby's phone, LE would know that. I guess he could go to a public library, but apparently he drove straight home (which tells us something about his psychology and mental state).

He would be seen at a border crossing. Without applying for a permit (which is supposed to be visible on the window of the vehicle), one cannot go more than 20 km into Mexico.

At any rate, his DL and his car's license plate would both be recorded and readily available to LE. To get that permit to travel further into MX, it's my understanding you do need a passport.

Crossing the U.S. - Mexico Border by Land

And there's one more tricky detail for him - since he would not have the permit, they'd run those license plates and the person to whom it is registered would not be in the car. He'd be directed to a special lane, held up for hours, while the actual owner was located and his story checked out (friend allowed him to borrow the car). What one does is get a notarized letter saying that you have permission to take that car into MX and even then, you'll be sitting there while authorities check your ID against US databases.

Now, having said that, people steal those permits from cars and use them to steal cars in the US and get them deeper into MX. Or they know back roads (especially out of W. Texas, NM and AZ - less populated areas). If he looked Mexican and spoke fluid Spanish, he might have had a chance on back roads. Otherwise, the people who do control those back roads would be very unhappy to see him and assume he had stolen the van.

His best bet of getting into Mexico is to use one of the numerous illegal crossing points - by foot.

In NY I have the enhanced driver’s license, which I am pretty sure can be used in lieu of a passport by land into Canada and Mexico. Not by air, though. It’s also known as the star card or the real id. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I that’s what I think it said on the forms I filled out to get that enhanced license.

Yes I think a LifeStraw would work fine.

Thank you. I would bet almost anything that BL had one. Or something similar.

I think at core, this man is a loner. He enjoys quiet solitude and functions better in that setting. He loves plants, rocks and the outdoors (no sign of any pets though). He reads quite a bit. He can be articulate and appropriate when necessary, but carefully guards his expressions. He similarly restrains his posture and use of hands in the interaction with LE, and the posture he adopts is calm, but with a hint of self-soothing (holding his own hand). He seems to have an aversion to having shoes on his feet if he can avoid it. He may even be a "walker" (someone who does a lot of thinking and derives enjoyment from...walking long distances).

His ability to judge social interactions (offering $200 for a 10 mile ride...) seems a bit below average, but that's just from that one interaction and I truly don't think he knew where Jackson was from the point where he was picked up - perhaps he thought it was a long way.

He's smart and will be able to change his appearance, although I think he is indeed capable of suicide (including suicide by cop). I worry about the empty gun case in his car (seems confirmed by Florida news stations that it is his car, it sure looked empty to me).

This thread is moving pretty fast and I can't seem to find the original statement where someone said that BT was not a narcissist because he didn't take a lot of selfies and was always hanging out in the background of GP posts.
But, he is painted in pretty much the same shade as Chris Watts who, himself, didn't take a lot of selfies and was always hanging out in the background of SW posts.
Narcissists aren't really vain or in love with themselves-they're in love with a made-up, blown up version of themselves and they do this because they're, deep down, deeply insecure. They don't value others opinions, ideas or needs because they put theirs front and center ahead of everything else and they're manipulative when they don't get their way or are questioned about their behavior or beliefs.
GP was, MOO, completely co-dependent and BT used gaslighting as a way to shift blame and not take responsibility.
Yeah, it's not about selfies.

Gov. DeSantis directs Florida agencies to continue helping in Brian Laundrie search: ‘We need justice for Gabby Petito’ | WFLA

Gov. Ron DeSantis is calling for justice for Gabby Petito, the 22-year-old North Port woman who mysteriously disappeared during a cross-country road trip with her fiancé.

The governor tweeted Tuesday about the ongoing investigation into Petito’s disappearance, as well as the search for her fiancé Brian Laundrie. Laundrie, who was reported missing last week, has been named a person of interest by police.

He'd need boiling water, though. And unless he has a stove and fuel (plus I really don't think he has any experience outdoors, except to brag), he'd have to carry a pot and build a fire. No way he's building a fire while he's being manhunted.
And food? He'll be either an animal attractant or an LE magnet.

And if he takes pre-packaged meals?
He'd need at least 3 of those freeze dried Mountain House meals a day, 21 for the week (and he's been gone for at least a week). Hahahaha! Those things are super bulky! And that still won't be enough food, really, so you've gotta take maybe nuts and Snickers and dried fruit. Then there's the problem with indigestion as you get used to eating those meals....

But maybe you only take 2 meals a day of Mountain House. That's still 14 packages!

Mountain House is, like, $7-$8 average a meal.

I suppose he could do Ramen instead, but imagine all that Ramen! lol.

Unless he had a water filter, he'd almost certainly have made himself sick on swamp water.

However, apart from the unlikelihood of all that.... This is a man who, when life got rough, went running home to momma in the car of a woman he killed. IMO there's not a snowball's chance in heck momma's boy is out there eating raw Mountain House in an alligator-infested swamp.

Can you leave food caches to pick up later? Yep, but in BL's case, they likely would have been sniffed out by LE.

Is it possible for experienced backpackers to go a week without re-supply? Big YES. Easily. Two, no problem, either, if you have a big pack. But "experience" is the operative word here. And it takes a LOT of planning not to over- or undersupply. You want a lot of calories for not a lot of weight and bulk. And you don't want containers like tuna cans.
There's been no sign that BL has any of this kind of experience, either, no matter what he's convinced his family of.

Food calculation rule of thumb when backpack planning: 2 lbs per person per day. But it should be optimized by common sense. You won't want to take 2 lbs of butter (nice dense calories) or 2 lbs of Ramen (carbohydrate fuel).
Totally agree @RickshawFan, not practical to think he's eating freeze dried package meals on his jetboil stove. If he's on the run, he probably has gone through the food he took with him and now he would have to resupply every few days or so and that is by grocery/convenience store or stealing. He's already a super skinny dude so he won't last long without food.

Ok will repost as originally deleted as I stated as fact. So let me preference this post as even though the items look exactly the same, it is not fact just opinion that they are the same items.

The backpacks seen in instagram footage/videos are seem to be a whitish packing cube on top of a grey/black daypack, both from REI. If you zoom in on the instagram footage, the fabric patterns, position of the black corner square and zips all match. Also still shots from the body cam cop footage show similar packing cube in the back of the van along with a 70L+ pack in the foreground. These do not seem to match the Backpack in the trail cam footage. The packing cube, if the REI one I found (the fabric has the same pattern, same shape, same zips) doesn't have straps and the other bags do not match the size. Totally plausible that he used a different bag. But it seems that those seen in footage that we have seen do not match the trail cam footage.

I highly recommend viewing the instagram footage and zooming in.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.27.00 am.png packingcubes-2020update-rei-lowres.jpeg 95c4f7c0-3119-47af-be4a-4cccffa30d19.jpeg trail-cam-enhanced.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa