NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he didn’t wake Faith up. The girls had been drinking and it was very late at night. Maybe he was planning on just robbing the apartment but notices Faith in the bedroom and decides to rape her. Then, like Webthrush said, something happened and he ends up striking her with the rum bottle.
With the little information we have right now, I don’t feel there are a ton of “likely” scenarios. While it might not be likely that someone planning on a quick and easy break-in escalates to rape and murder, I don’t think it’s overwhelmingly unlikely either.

Bold added...
I think you also have to factor in that whoever was up-and-about that morning up to no good, partying from the Thrill or elsewhere, was quite possibly drunk or high on something, and not exactly acting rationally to begin with.

Bold added...
I think you also have to factor in that whoever was up-and-about that morning up to no good, partying from the Thrill or elsewhere, was quite possibly drunk or high on something, and not exactly acting rationally to begin with.

BBM
I know we'll all know for sure soon enough, but I'm leaning away from Thrill being part of it. Him being fairly newly immigrated, probably still not 100% with the language, and no connection to UNC that we know of, a college place like that doesn't seem like it would be his scene. I'm not taking the "Hawthorne party" as 100% confirmed yet, but something like that makes a lot more sense to me.

I could see this. Reminds me of Jason Williford and his murder of Kathy Taft. Random. Jason had a fight with wife at the time. He had been drinking and doing drugs most of the afternoon into evening. His wife needed sleep and asked him to stop being ao loud. He dropped his friend off. Parked car and went to behavior he had done in the past. Looking for mailboxes filled up high with mail. To him it meant they were most likely out of town. He went into a house. Says he blacked out. When he came to he saw what had happened. Left and walked back home. Crawled back into bed with her. She noticed a lot of changes in him after this. His wife. I wonder if this guy had a lot of changes too. I also wonder his internet searchers. JMO
Maybe he didn’t wake Faith up. The girls had been drinking and it was very late at night. Maybe he was planning on just robbing the apartment but notices Faith in the bedroom and decides to rape her. Then, like Webthrush said, something happened and he ends up striking her with the rum bottle.
With the little information we have right now, I don’t feel there are a ton of “likely” scenarios. While it might not be likely that someone planning on a quick and easy break-in escalates to rape and murder, I don’t think it’s overwhelmingly unlikely either.

Any fellow sleuthers out there familiar with NC court process? Could be months if not years until details come out for this?

Any fellow sleuthers out there familiar with NC court process? Could be months if not years until details come out for this?
Unfortunately, yes. They'll probably file the charges next month, then we're probably looking at 6-12 months for the indictment. For the trial, we're probably looking at 2 years, absolute minimum. :(
We might get some warrants relating to his arrest released over the next few months (which may detail some of the evidence they have against him) but I wouldn't expect a whole lot more than that.

I could see this. Reminds me of Jason Williford and his murder of Kathy Taft. Random. Jason had a fight with wife at the time. He had been drinking and doing drugs most of the afternoon into evening. His wife needed sleep and asked him to stop being ao loud. He dropped his friend off. Parked car and went to behavior he had done in the past. Looking for mailboxes filled up high with mail. To him it meant they were most likely out of town. He went into a house. Says he blacked out. When he came to he saw what had happened. Left and walked back home. Crawled back into bed with her. She noticed a lot of changes in him after this. His wife. I wonder if this guy had a lot of changes too. I also wonder his internet searchers. JMO
I followed the Williford trial closely. It freaked me out and I never let my mail accumulate because of this case.

There are too many things about this case that lead me to believe this wasn’t random, like Kathy Taft’s murder.

Things like: the bizarre note (red herring or otherwise, it’s weird), the 911 call which I find so strange, the “leaving in the middle of the night while leaving the door unlocked,” etc.

I don’t know what happened that night or who was involved. All I know is that it’s tragic, and if anyone else is involved, I hope this guy spills his guts. And I hope the state has a solid case against this guy.

I followed the Williford trial closely. It freaked me out and I never let my mail accumulate because of this case.

There are too many things about this case that lead me to believe this wasn’t random, like Kathy Taft’s murder.

Things like: the bizarre note (red herring or otherwise, it’s weird), the 911 call which I find so strange, the “leaving in the middle of the night while leaving the door unlocked,” etc.

I don’t know what happened that night or who was involved. All I know is that it’s tragic, and if anyone else is involved, I hope this guy spills his guts. And I hope the state has a solid case against this guy.

There is nothing "strange" about the 911 call. It's a traumatized college student who just found her best friend murdered in her apartment; you don't expect that to sound "normal." Karena has been put through enough hell over the years, it is time to let her have some benefit of the doubt.

The note is weird for sure. But the door being left unlocked has been explained - only one key and a deadbolt style lock. Karena left the key in the apartment so Faith would be able to lock up when she left in the morning for class.

There is nothing "strange" about the 911 call. It's a traumatized college student who just found her best friend murdered in her apartment; you don't expect that to sound "normal." Karena has been put through enough hell over the years, it is time to let her have some benefit of the doubt.

I said I find the 911 call strange. That’s my opinion. You’re entitled to yours, but please don’t tell me mine is wrong.

And we can all choose to whom (and when) we give the benefit of the doubt.

I said I find the 911 call strange. That’s my opinion. You’re entitled to yours, but please don’t tell me mine is wrong.

And we can all choose to whom (and when) we give the benefit of the doubt.

First explain what aspects you find "strange." Then consider whether or not those "strange" aspects can be explained as the result of shock or trauma. Any reasonable analysis will find that the "strangeness" can easily be attributed to shock or trauma.

Then consider whether or not it is appropriate or fair to be criticizing a terrified college student who just experienced the biggest shock of her entire life.

First explain what aspects you find "strange." Then consider whether or not those "strange" aspects can be explained as the result of shock or trauma. Any reasonable analysis will find that the "strangeness" can easily be attributed to shock or trauma.

Then consider whether or not it is appropriate or fair to be criticizing a terrified college student who just experienced the biggest shock of her entire life.
Especially since there is a DNA-matched suspect in custody. For Pete's sake. MOO.

I can just imagine what that guy has been through.
I feel bad that he was under a cloud of suspicion for this case, but just a friendly reminder that he had a restraining order against him because he beat his girlfriend, so when he is wondering aloud "how he got in this situation," that's how.

Does anyone know what the next step is for Salguero-Olivares? I thought I saw an October 7 court date, but now I can’t find it. Has he been arraigned yet? Does he have an attorney? TIA.

Does anyone know what the next step is for Salguero-Olivares? I thought I saw an October 7 court date, but now I can’t find it. Has he been arraigned yet? Does he have an attorney? TIA.

He’s being represented by a public defender.
What’s scheduled for 10/7 is a “probable cause hearing.” According to this, that’s also when the arraignment will probably take place.

“But "probable cause hearing" typically refers to a quicker proceeding involving a determination that there was a valid basis for arrest—that determination allows the authorities to continue to confine a defendant who hasn't bailed out of jail or been released on "OR." This kind of probable cause hearing frequently occurs in conjunction with an arraignment or initial appearance.”

What Is a Probable Cause Hearing?

I feel bad that he was under a cloud of suspicion for this case, but just a friendly reminder that he had a restraining order against him because he beat his girlfriend, so when he is wondering aloud "how he got in this situation," that's how.

Also, threatened to kill her. Since she ended up dead, I can imagine that had something to do with people suspecting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam