Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe, but as with Casey Anthony, this guy doesn’t seem the type to care too much if his parents take the heat.
THIS. I can understand the parents doing anything to protect their child. I can't say with certainty that I wouldn't do the same. But I DO know, my son would never put me in the position where I had to make that choice.

The “note” was a tow notification for parking there overnight. I guess the locals there know you get one if the car is there for 24hours. Since BL did not come home the next morning the parents may have assumed he was still “camping” out there and didn’t want the car towed so they drove out to the parking lots and found it, brought it home. Doesn’t seem odd to me as this is a norm for communities that have these kinds of parks and most parents keep a set of keys to their kids cars for emergencies. BL’s parents knew he went there to go hiking the day before they picked up the car.
Right but it would seem to me that if they hadn’t heard from him -and gone to check-if he wasn’t around 1-you wouldn’t want to ditch him if he should’ve been there 2- you’d contact LE then, not Friday UNLESS you know he’s guilty and don’t want to raise unnecessary concerns or you know he has a plan and needs lead time.
This all leads me to think either they heard from him or they knew to go grab it because he wasn’t coming for it.

I think there will be a full autopsy, as hard as it is to imagine. I think LE will insist on it. Who knows what the full extent of the book of charges are they can try to pin him with, imo. But I gotta say, if I ever go missing, I want this crew at WS to hunt me down. There is *nothing* some of you shy away from, & I admire your courage & intelligence. I've learned a lot in like 4 days.
Autopsy is done, waiting on toxicology.

I had to skip a lot of threads due to dinner but I wanted to say there really isn't a legal category for "suspect." These are words the media uses to describe ongoing investigations. I'll briefly describe the legal statuses we pay attention to as they trigger different rights and protections. I'm just going to use plain English so please do not reply to me linking to some law dictionary saying I'm being too casual because the point of my post is to explain the layout so everyone who reads it can understand what's happening.

If someone has information related to a crime, they can be a witness. A witness has relevant information either that a crime has occurred or relevant to a police investigation.

Once police have probable cause that a person has committed a crime, they can go to a judge and get an arrest warrant to detain them. So there can be a warrant out for someone's arrest. LE can request to seal the warrant so it isn't public as to not tip off the subject. Right now, it is totally possible that LE has a sealed arrest warrant for Brian's arrest. If that was the case, they would NOT announce it. They need to locate him in order to arrest him so what they call him before the physical arrest is really immaterial.

Once a person is located, LE can "detain" them. Detain means you can't leave. If your liberty is restricted, you are detained. Once you are detained, certain protections kick in. You have the right to remain silent. You have to be read your Miranda rights. There are Supreme Court cases that have litigated your Constitutional rights and when they apply (detained, arrested, charged, convicted).

Once you are served with an arrest warrant, you are under arrest and you are detained by the police. All the same protections as being detained without an arrest warrant apply.

After a certain amount of time detained, you have to be charged with a crime. That officially makes you a criminal defendant. Depending on the state, you can be charged by the DA or there can be a grand jury that indicts you. Once you are charged and you are a criminal defendant, other protections apply - like your right to a speedy trial.

So LE wants to make sure they have their ducks in a row before they make these official steps. They can have an internal "suspect" early on but due to not wanting to tip off that person they never announce that they have a "suspect." Othertimes they can announce right away that someone is a suspect or a person of interest because they believe it will put pressure on the person or witnesses to come forward.

LE has information officers because dealing with the media has become a big part of policing these days. But LE has no obligation to announce anything to the media. So I would not focus too much on what LE is saying right now in terms of is he a suspect, is he a POI, do they have evidence.

LE had enough evidence to get a search warrant for his home after his parents refused (so no consent). A judge reviewed the evidence they had and granted it. So I definitely would not conclude they do not have enough evidence to arrest him - they need to find him before they arrest him!

Last edited:
Without knowing all the facts, it is a stretch to say the parents are complicit in anything. It's an emotional time for many thst have invested hours towards this case. We should allow facts drive our posts and not emotions. Loaning our child a car eventually used in armed robbery doesn't make us complicit to the crime. Jmo

W
May I ask a question? The threads move so fast (as you all know), that when I leave the computer I can't find the answer to my questions. My last input was about the "deer cam" which may have shown Brian in a small town. A guy who was tall,bald with a backpack. I'd like to know how to find the newest pages without going through a few hundred to get to it? Any suggestions? And was the deer cam explained?
When you come back to a thread, you can click on 'Go to First Unread Post'. This will take you back to where you were. I totally understand about the threads moving so fast. Most of the time I just give up and jump in where the convo is now. LOL

Nop

Nope still only POI he can still plead the 5th or go anywhere if they find him. Can you believe that? Pathetic, stilll no warrant or charging him.
Unless, of course, the US Attorney's office is presenting evidence to a Federal Grand Jury since her death likely occurred on federal property. I wouldn't at all be surprised if an indictment is coming, but that it could be sealed pending arrest(s) of those involved. BL and anyone who may have helped him, even after the murder. IMOO

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but is the body supposed to be under the tent or is that just shade for the searchers?
I think the tent is over the gravesite but others disagree. Either way the tent isn’t likely for shade since the searchers are wearing coats and the high that day was only 60 degrees.

SBM:

...Or your gaslighting fiancé dismisses your need for tidiness and has repeatedly led you to believe that you "have OCD" and "are crazy" and your completely normal (and necessary in a small van on a cross-country road trip!) requests that he keep things tidy too are completely unreasonable. Prob, "See how you are crying about this? Your anxiety has made you crazy!"

Instead of it being about him devaluing her needs, he slyly makes it about her "being mean" to him, and suddenly he's now the victim.

Gaslighting is a true brainwarp and you don't even realize its happening. Well, my experience, anyway. I'm sure I am projecting my own experiences on that, too. MOO.

Rest in Paradise, sweet Gabby.
That is also quite possible, if not highly likely.

I don't post often but this one just really bothers me more than any have in a while. I keep seeing Gabby in the video where she is so upset and crying. It's so sad, how could someone hurt her? She was just a kid and had her whole life ahead of her.

Terrible, tragic situation for all involved. Prayers for her family and friends.

IMO

FBI: Coroner Identifies Remains as Gabby Petito - 9 & 10 News

upload_2021-9-21_17-19-24.png

Teton County Coroner Brent Blue determined her manner of death was homicide, but did not disclose a cause of death pending final autopsy results, officials said Tuesday. Petito’s body was found Sunday near an undeveloped camping area that’s surrounded by woodlands and brush, located about 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of Jackson, Wyoming.

The FBI also requested for anyone with information about boyfriend Brian Laundrie’s role in Petito’s death to contact the agency.

You know what's really sad?

Gabby wanted to be an Influencer. She wanted to be known on social media and have that following and engagement from people far and wide. This is what she was trying to build up with her blogs and posts, so that we could follow her adventures.

There's a bitter irony in the fact that the hashtag of her name has been viewed over 650 million times so far, but for all the wrong reasons.

Whoever did this to her - whether BL or not - I hope they get what's coming to them.

MOO

May I ask a question? The threads move so fast (as you all know), that when I leave the computer I can't find the answer to my questions. My last input was about the "deer cam" which may have shown Brian in a small town. A guy who was tall,bald with a backpack. I'd like to know how to find the newest pages without going through a few hundred to get to it? Any suggestions? And was the deer cam explained?
Look towards the top of the page in small print where it says “New Posts”

Im curious what BL's end game is here if he is in fact still in this park in FL. Does he think everyone will just go away? I guess Im just really skeptical that he is still there.

I totally agree. I wouldn't be surprised if mommy and daddy helped him to leave the country fairly soon after September 1. Has he even actually be seen by anyone who can be trusted to tell the truth about it?

I think there will be a full autopsy, as hard as it is to imagine. I think LE will insist on it. Who knows what the full extent of the book of charges are they can try to pin him with, imo. But I gotta say, if I ever go missing, I want this crew at WS to hunt me down. There is *nothing* some of you shy away from, & I admire your courage & intelligence. I've learned a lot in like 4 days.
My family knows if I’m missing they are to come here and report “Oviedo” is missing so I can have my sleuther community find me —of course their thumb prints are all active on my cell should it be separated from me - then they know everything …

I looked it up bc I was curious, and thought it might be good info to know:

Manner of death is classified by coroners in one of six ways. I found HERE some definitions that helped clarify the differences -
  • Natural= Death due solely to natural disease.
  • Accident= An unexpected or unforeseen death due to injury.
  • Suicide= Death resulting from intentional self-inflicted act.
  • Homicide= Death as a result of a volitional act committed by another person (e.g. injury, poisoning).
  • Undetermined= Manner of death used when the information pointing to one manner of death is no more compelling than another.
  • Pending investigation

IMO, it's very telling that they could so quickly rule out the other options. The specific cause of death was obviously not something that could have happened accidentally or that she could have done to herself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member