Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
What could he have told them that sounded reasonable to them?

Use your imagination.

Anywhere from she just disappeared, she left with a friend, she told me to give her space and she would come home, she met a guy, she was abused by her parents and had a meltdown before disappearing.

From there he is mad at her and doesn't know what to do.

From a parent's perspective, it is very confusing in finding the truth. Who immediately believes their child has committed murder?

The lawyer could have told them to keep quite and let him work though what follows.

I agree that they likely have made very poor if not illegal decisions. That does not make them evil or stupid.

Yeah it sucks but he's doing his job. Defense lawyering for criminal defendants is an ugly business. You deal with the worst of the worst and are bound by ethical duty to give them the best defense. While some defense lawyers are Saul Goodman-esque and have no morals, there are good ones that fight the good fight for defendants who are wrongfully accused or treated unfairly by the system. When you get in that game, dealing with the occasional - or sometimes plentiful - ******* comes with the territory.

I harassed some colleagues today to get their thoughts on what they would have done if Brian called them on 9/1 and most suggested some form of getting him admitted into a hospital on a psych hold and trying to get some type of deal in exchange for finding Gabby.

No one said lie about his location, involve his parents, and hope he escapes. And these were tough guys who take cases I would never take.

As a defense lawyer you are supposed to act in your client's best interest but that doesn't mean ignoring the facts. If you do that, it harms your client. Sometimes the best outcome possible is a plea with reduced charges. You can't win every case and you lose most of them. But you can still do right by your client by giving good advice and advocating for their rights - even if that means a couple years in a mental institution or something. Every case isn't Cinderella with a happy ending.

No, but we can surmise that they are not total idiots and would have been capable of putting 2 and 2 together to see what really happened, and still chose to hide their son and do nothing to ease the anguish of Gabby's loved ones.
Did they not love her at least just a little bit? How could someone not love that sweet young woman? And yes, I know they loved him more -- but still... SMH

Occam's Razor.

And what plausible, innocent scenario would cause a parent to refuse to speak to the parents of the girl who just didn't come back with their son?
They got in a fight, broke up, maybe that she flew back home to NY. Calls start coming in looking for her, van gets picked up, and he swears he has no clue what happened after he left, so parents contact lawyer and are told don't say a word until more information is given.

And I
I disagree. They seemed to be aiding and abetting his escape. And they shut down any information to the grieving parents who had reached out to them for help finding their missing daughter. Who does that?

If they knew their son had an innocent explanation then they could have replied to the desperate family and given them some helpful info.

Their silence shows that they were being complicit, in my opinion.

And I believe they misled police to the preserve they are looking for him in. MOO

Use your imagination.

Anywhere from she just disappeared, she left with a friend, she told me to give her space and she would come home, she met a guy, she was abused by her parents and had a meltdown before disappearing.

From there he is mad at her and doesn't know what to do.

From a parent's perspective, it is very confusing in finding the truth. Who immediately believes their child has committed murder?

The lawyer could have told them to keep quite and let him work though what follows.

I agree that they likely have made very poor if not illegal decisions. That does not make them evil or stupid.
So in your imagination, how do you explain Gabby's parents sending the Laundries messages that the children (both Gabby and Brian) aren't returning any calls and Gabby's parents are worried that something has happened to both Brian and Gabby?

I was wondering how they were able to determine so fast. Usually it takes weeks if not months. So this must have been some kind of physical identifier that was obvious? like broken neck from strangulation or gunshot wound. not saying she was shot but just curious how it was determined so quickly

The condition of the body is unknown, but they can easily discern obvious signs of trauma (fatal blows to the head, broken neck, etc). Toxicology and blood testing will likely be delayed because that can take a while - but those can certainly hold other clues that reveal more details about the death.

I know this has been talked about before, but now I don't recall the answer - has there been some evidence that the left with a gun, besides the obvious "you wouldn't go into the swamp without one"?

Well, it would be much easier to make his way across south AL, the MS gulf coast, LA and then TX. You could travel through most of that gulf coast area into Louisiana in a day, especially if you caught a ride with a trucker. I think this is exactly why the initial reports of possible sightings near Mobile, AL got so much attention. It was a logical assumption that he might be headed that direction. Those reports now seem to have been looked into and nothing came of them. I really think the heat is too high right now for him to risk hitchhiking, but you never know. We are still sorting through that one report of him possibly hitchhiking in Wyoming so we could make that assumption that he might do it. He could also be disguised well, so.....

I think he's hitchhiking, but I think he's staying off major highways because truckers would probably be more likely to recognize him and turn him in. Someone referenced the DC Snipers many threads ago. It was the truckers who spotted their car at a truck stop and blocked it in until law enforcement could arrive.

Based on how he handled himself with LE in Moab, I think he can talk his way into anyone's car or place of business (like a gym) for a shower and water refill. He just looks like a regular backpacker, on his way somewhere.

SBM:

...Or your gaslighting fiancé dismisses your need for tidiness and has repeatedly led you to believe that you "have OCD" and "are crazy" and your completely normal (and necessary in a small van on a cross-country road trip!) requests that he keep things tidy too are completely unreasonable. Prob, "See how you are crying about this? Your anxiety has made you crazy!"

Instead of it being about him devaluing her needs, he slyly makes it about her "being mean" to him, and suddenly he's now the victim.

Gaslighting is a true brainwarp and you don't even realize its happening. Well, my experience, anyway. I'm sure I am projecting my own experiences on that, too. MOO.

Rest in Paradise, sweet Gabby.

Thank you!!! I've been trying to put this into words for days. That is exactly what I saw in the 'traffic stop' video along with his duper's delight when he giggled with LE.

JB is nuts. If they find him, they're going to detain him. There is 0% chance they would let him walk home after all of this.

I think the PD/FBI have been taking a very clear approach of “let’s not scare him away” so that they can indeed detain him. That’s why the messaging has been that they would bring him home—I am sure they have asked the media to help them lift up that messaging.

Yes, this exactly. I've been trying to get an answer to this question. How did the parents know about the note on the Mustang when it was parked at the swamp?

They knew BL had gone there. When the news started to go crazy they probably went there to get the car so that vigilantes didn't destroy it or it get impounded faster by the cops, if there was something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong