CANADA Canada - Lawrence Francis Mishibinijima, 59, beaten to death, Little Current, Ontario,18 Mar 2004

BeTheVoice99

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am looking to find out about a cold case from Little Current, Ontario, Canada.
I have hardly any information.

Maurice Mishibinjima was found beaten to death and left behind a gas tank in the late 1970's.

If anyone can help me...or direct me to the best place to look, that'd be great.

maybe contact local media who might have stories in their archives? also, have you contacted the local police detachment or RCMP to ask for access to their files?

This is the only mention that Google produces for me this evening:

Manitoulin Genealogy

LAWRENCE FRANCIS MISHIBINIJIMA
In loving memory of Lawrence Francis Mishibinijima, 59 years, Thursday evening, March 18th, 2004 at the Manitoulin Health Centre, Little Current.
Beloved son of the late Basil and Eliza (Peltier) Mishibinijima (both predeceased). Special friend of Jackie Bellow of Sault Ste. Marie. Dear brother of Percy (wife Nancy), and Hugh (wife Velma) both of Wikwemikong, David and Jean (husband Rick Bisson) both of Toronto, and the late Rose, Maurice, Mary Ann, Stella, Audrey and Gilbert (all predeceased). Dear godfather of Alphonse Trudeau. Dear nephew of late Moses Lavallee (wife Rose of Sudbury) and late Gabriel Mishibinijima (wife late Agnes). Survived by many nieces and nephews.
He rested at St. Ignatius Church, Buzwah, Ontario. A funeral mass was held in Holy Cross Mission Wikwemikong, Ontario Monday, March 22nd, 2004 at 11 am. Interment in the Buzwah Cemetery.
Arrangements entrusted to the Lougheed Funeral Home.
Manitoulin Expositor, April 7, 2004

SIMON, R. Percy Jr. - Obituary - Sudbury - Sudbury News

In Loving Memory of Percy Jr. Robert Simon (April 8, 1982- May 17. 2015) 33 years old It is with great sorrow and tragedy that the family announces the sudden passing of Percy Jr. Simon whom was a resident of Buzwah dies on the Wikwemikong Reserve on Sunday, May 17th, 2015. Percy Jr. Simon was born in Sudbury, Ontario and was the beloved son of Percy Sr. and Nancy Simon. Percy Jr. was the beloved brother of Sarah Simon and predeceased by Robert Paul Simon and Diane Lewis. Special friend to Joanie Leedham and beloved father of Joshua, Jayden, Jace and Emma. Beloved grandson of Basil and Eliza Mishibinijima. Survived by Uncle Hugh and Velma of Wikwemikong. Predeceased by Rose, Maurice, Mary Ann, Stella, Audrey, Gilbert, Lawrence, David and Phyllis-Jean. Predeceased Godparents Gilbert and Phyllis-Jean. Percy Jr. will be greatly missed by many cousins and friends. Percy Jr. was a Heavy Equipment Operator and also enjoyed wood harvesting with his father. Percy Jr. also enjoyed the great outdoors of nature, hunting, spending time with his family and Children. Resting at St. Ignatius Church in Buzwah (Friends may call after 4pm on Wednesday) Funeral Mass at Holy Cross Mission Wikwemikong, Ontario at 11:00 A.M. on Friday May 22nd, 2015 Interment in the Buzwah Cemetery Arrangements entrusted to the Lougheed Funeral Home

Is this the person you mean?

We generally need a link to a main stream media article or to a law enforcement report to start a thread.

Was there newspaper coverage at the time, that isn't showing up for me today?

I am an old genealogist and usually can turn up information. Apparently my skill skids to a halt at the border.

This gentleman is First Nations?

jmho ymmv lrr

Seems to be at least two spellings of the name.

Mishinbinijima This spelling gets the most google results at 27,600
Mishibinjima This spelling only gets 127 results.

So I presume the first one is the one that is correct.

I've searched multiple search engines and haven't found anything that mentions Maurice, apart from what Laughing found.

I found nothing about a body being found behind a gas tank or any mention of Maurice being murdered.

This is the person I meant - Maurice. I was given his name by his niece during a discussion about a different person who has been missing since 1991.

She has no information.

This is the only mention that Google produces for me this evening:

Manitoulin Genealogy

LAWRENCE FRANCIS MISHIBINIJIMA
In loving memory of Lawrence Francis Mishibinijima, 59 years, Thursday evening, March 18th, 2004 at the Manitoulin Health Centre, Little Current.
Beloved son of the late Basil and Eliza (Peltier) Mishibinijima (both predeceased). Special friend of Jackie Bellow of Sault Ste. Marie. Dear brother of Percy (wife Nancy), and Hugh (wife Velma) both of Wikwemikong, David and Jean (husband Rick Bisson) both of Toronto, and the late Rose, Maurice, Mary Ann, Stella, Audrey and Gilbert (all predeceased). Dear godfather of Alphonse Trudeau. Dear nephew of late Moses Lavallee (wife Rose of Sudbury) and late Gabriel Mishibinijima (wife late Agnes). Survived by many nieces and nephews.
He rested at St. Ignatius Church, Buzwah, Ontario. A funeral mass was held in Holy Cross Mission Wikwemikong, Ontario Monday, March 22nd, 2004 at 11 am. Interment in the Buzwah Cemetery.
Arrangements entrusted to the Lougheed Funeral Home.
Manitoulin Expositor, April 7, 2004

SIMON, R. Percy Jr. - Obituary - Sudbury - Sudbury News

In Loving Memory of Percy Jr. Robert Simon (April 8, 1982- May 17. 2015) 33 years old It is with great sorrow and tragedy that the family announces the sudden passing of Percy Jr. Simon whom was a resident of Buzwah dies on the Wikwemikong Reserve on Sunday, May 17th, 2015. Percy Jr. Simon was born in Sudbury, Ontario and was the beloved son of Percy Sr. and Nancy Simon. Percy Jr. was the beloved brother of Sarah Simon and predeceased by Robert Paul Simon and Diane Lewis. Special friend to Joanie Leedham and beloved father of Joshua, Jayden, Jace and Emma. Beloved grandson of Basil and Eliza Mishibinijima. Survived by Uncle Hugh and Velma of Wikwemikong. Predeceased by Rose, Maurice, Mary Ann, Stella, Audrey, Gilbert, Lawrence, David and Phyllis-Jean. Predeceased Godparents Gilbert and Phyllis-Jean. Percy Jr. will be greatly missed by many cousins and friends. Percy Jr. was a Heavy Equipment Operator and also enjoyed wood harvesting with his father. Percy Jr. also enjoyed the great outdoors of nature, hunting, spending time with his family and Children. Resting at St. Ignatius Church in Buzwah (Friends may call after 4pm on Wednesday) Funeral Mass at Holy Cross Mission Wikwemikong, Ontario at 11:00 A.M. on Friday May 22nd, 2015 Interment in the Buzwah Cemetery Arrangements entrusted to the Lougheed Funeral Home

Is this the person you mean?

We generally need a link to a main stream media article or to a law enforcement report to start a thread.

Was there newspaper coverage at the time, that isn't showing up for me today?

I am an old genealogist and usually can turn up information. Apparently my skill skids to a halt at the border.

This gentleman is First Nations?

jmho ymmv lrr

Yep. That's why I was asking. I was just hoping for some tips.

Seems to be at least two spellings of the name.

Mishinbinijima This spelling gets the most google results at 27,600
Mishibinjima This spelling only gets 127 results.

So I presume the first one is the one that is correct.

I've searched multiple search engines and haven't found anything that mentions Maurice, apart from what Laughing found.

I found nothing about a body being found behind a gas tank or any mention of Maurice being murdered.

Thank you! I don't think the RCMP will provide me with anything, same with the police. I will try local media though. That may work!

maybe contact local media who might have stories in their archives? also, have you contacted the local police detachment or RCMP to ask for access to their files?

Yep. That's why I was asking. I was just hoping for some tips.

The locals spell their name Mishibinijima, as the original poster indicated, not with the extra "n".

I have never heard about this case. It would be worth contacting the local paper (The Expositor) to see if they would run a story. If this crime has never been resolved, perhaps there could be some community pressure to open up the case.

There are a couple of facebook groups that would be worth directing the question to as well; Manitoulin History, and What's doin' on the Manitoulin. Someone there will surely remember.

Another place to ask would be the Jesuit Mission in Wiikwemkoong. They are renown for their historical information.

Last edited:
I received the name from the niece of the victim. Thank you so much for the tips of where to look!

The locals spell their name Mishibinijima, as the original poster indicated, not with the extra "n".

I have never heard about this case. It would be worth contacting the local paper (The Expositor) to see if they would run a story. If this crime has never been resolved, perhaps there could be some community pressure to open up the case.

There are a couple of facebook groups that would be worth directing the question to as well; Manitoulin History, and What's doin' on the Manitoulin. Someone there will surely remember.

Another place to ask would be the Jesuit Mission in Wiikwemkoong. They are renown for their historical information.

Those two names are still different. Not because of an N but because the OP is missing the "I" just before the jima part.

Hi All!

I am looking to find out about a cold case from Little Current, Ontario, Canada.

Maurice Mishibinjima was found beaten to death and left behind a gas tank in the late 1970's.

If anyone can help me...or direct me to the best place to look, that'd be great.

And at last I learned how to multi quote. :)

It seemed like magic before so I suppose I never tried.

Some beautiful artwork when I googled the name in google images. Very talented!

Hi All!

How's the research going?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutalicy
Back