UID Victim: The Asian Male, UP9355, John Doe #8, poss. died 1996-2001, found Gilgo Beach Apr 2011

Was the rule out based on DNA? Apparently, while DNA can be used to rule out missing persons as unidentified, law enforcement also rules out possible matches at their discretion and based solely on their opinion. Meaning if a detective looked at Santiago and concluded "this is not a good match" without running the DNA for match, Santiago would be ruled out in Namus as Asian Male. Obviously a huge flaw in the Namus system. How do we know they actually ran the DNA of Santiago against Asian Male?

someone on my group recently spoke with Erin Moriarty. They have the DNA 0f Mias brother and it was compared to the Asian Male per Suffolk County. She also spoke with the NYPD Detective on the case. They have both DNA and fingerprints in NaMus for Mia

Was the rule out based on DNA? Apparently, while DNA can be used to rule out missing persons as unidentified, law enforcement also rules out possible matches at their discretion and based solely on their opinion. Meaning if a detective looked at Santiago and concluded "this is not a good match" without running the DNA for match, Santiago would be ruled out in Namus as Asian Male. Obviously a huge flaw in the Namus system. How do we know they actually ran the DNA of Santiago against Asian Male?
Suffolk County told Erin Moriarty that Mia Santiago was ruled out as the Asian male. The exact wording of the email was that they insisted on it. The NYPD detective confirmed that they have the Brothers DNA and Mias fingerprints

Suffolk County told Erin Moriarty that Mia Santiago was ruled out as the Asian male. The exact wording of the email was that they insisted on it. The NYPD detective confirmed that they have the Brothers DNA and Mias fingerprints

Santiago's fingerprints is a useless detail to be brought up on behalf of the NYPD detective whoever he/she is. What's fingerprints got to do with comparison while the Asian Male is just skeletal remains?

I think left and right police are trying to bury the LISK case and throwing every kind of distraction in front of the public. They all know they botched every single time they could. Never missed an opportunity.

I would like to see an official report on how they ruled him out, then I could comment further.

Santiago's fingerprints is a useless detail to be brought up on behalf of the NYPD detective whoever he/she is. What's fingerprints got to do with comparison while the Asian Male is just skeletal remains?

I think left and right police are trying to bury the LISK case and throwing every kind of distraction in front of the public. They all know they botched every single time they could. Never missed an opportunity.

I would like to see an official report on how they ruled him out, then I could comment further.

Good point about the fingerprints...how peculiar... o_O

The comment about fingerprints I thought was odd but they said they had DNA of the brother. It was actually insisted. They have DNA for both the Asian Male and Mia in Namus so at this point you won’t get anymore out of them.

because the person who called and spoke to the Detective wasn’t calling about LISK. She was trying to confirm or deny the rumors that there was no DNA on Mia.

because the person who called and spoke to the Detective wasn’t calling about LISK. She was trying to confirm or deny the rumors that there was no DNA on Mia.

Everything the cops do in these cases is fishy. Hear this.. Supposedly the LE is striving to solve the case. Right? They have the skeletal remains of an "Asian" person. The don't know who he is. Maybe his identification might help them to move forward. Forget DNA. They have his clothes. Why don't they make the images of these clothes public?

Think about it, police knows what the clothes look like. The killer(s) know what the clothes look like. So, who are they hiding the clothes from? Answer: From the public. If they make such details public, then somebody might recognize and tip which may help the case to be solved, "God forbid" (that's not me talking that's the police talking).

Becase they botched big time and they know it.

Just one example, go watch the earliest version of the LISK documentary on A&E. There Sherree Gilbert says "Detectives showed up at our door, they said they were hundred percent sure it was Shannan". But nope, it was Melissa. The cops were looking for a skinny blonde girl, they found the body of a skinny blonde girl. It would be a cheap yet shiny victory for the cops. Sadly, they were too lazy to note that Shannan had a metal implant on her jaw.

Until someone with sound conscience takes on the cases, we have to rely on accidents and surprises for progress.

Do we know approximately how long the John Doe has been there? Has LE released that info? It's hard to do any digging without a time frame of disappearance to look at. :-(
Between 2000 to 2006 is the time they believe John Doe was put there. The body was would in 2011.

I would like to see an official report on how they ruled him out, then I could comment further. ebm

left and right police are trying to bury the LISK case and throwing every kind of distraction in front of the public. They all know they botched every single time they could. Never missed an opportunity.

And, they've thwarted the Investigations with intentional errors plus the weakness and lack of someone, anyone, speaking out against the ...
How do you spell corruption?

And, they've thwarted the Investigations with intentional errors plus the weakness and lack of someone, anyone, speaking out against the ...
How do you spell corruption?

well we chose to not speak to Detectives involved with LISK. We spoke to Mia Santiago’s detective. It was also a direct quote from the Commissioner to Erin Moriarty so we are told. We talked to Mia’s detective after we heard Mia was ruled out with her brothers DNA

Asians and Native Americans (all of the Natives/Indigenous/First Nations of the Western Hemisphere) have certain facial structures in common, so if an anthropologist has only a skull in their hand it can be difficult to tell them apart, especially if there is Caucasian and/or Sub-Saharan African mixed in. Sometimes even a highly educated and experienced forensic anthropologist can completely blow it on judging ancestry; in one instance that I know well the guy who literally wrote the book misjudged part of a victim's ancestry, delaying her identification until another anthropologist examined her skull again, a much more accurate reconstruction was done and publicized, and she was thereby identified.

I’m interested to know if LE has tried using DNA to confirm if the victim really is Asian. Surely genetic genealogy can tell us that much…and maybe even give an idea of what part of the Asian diaspora the victim belonged to.

There is little hope of finding AM’s identity through traditional genetic genealogy since POC, and especially Asians, are so underrepresented on sites like Ancestry. I think the key to finding their identity is doing traditional legwork in Asian American communities.

I’m interested to know if LE has tried using DNA to confirm if the victim really is Asian. Surely genetic genealogy can tell us that much…and maybe even give an idea of what part of the Asian diaspora the victim belonged to.

There is little hope of finding AM’s identity through traditional genetic genealogy since POC, and especially Asians, are so underrepresented on sites like Ancestry. I think the key to finding their identity is doing traditional legwork in Asian American communities.

Great post! Being an amateur genealogist (20+ years), and having my own DNA autosomal and mitochondrial DNA done, I have wondered about this, myself. I do not have Asian ancestry myself, but I wonder if anyone here has had a DNA test done and Asian DNA has mapped out, when they know their family is indigenous to North, Central, or South America, or the islands. This would potentially widen (considerably) the search criteria regarding missing persons. I agree with you, that through the years I have not found many Asian American communities on Ancestry (then again, I haven't been looking there). I agree that going through communities, or word of mouth, might unfortunately be the best way, at least for now.

Looks like a pretty good fit in several areas, seems like he ran away (gun + suicidal, not good). Hopefully he is still alive, and if not, that he is found so the family can get closure. It's possible he could have gone to NY. Hope more info is found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back