Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like, based on the info available, he used her or her parents cards after her death. I would be willing to bet the charges were related to gas/food/supplies to get home from WY to FL.

JMO.
I'm thinking he bought supplies for life on the run and/or maybe a plane ticket, gift cards, disguises....
The gas coming back from the Tetons really wouldn't be that much. IIRC the Transit Connect is good on gas.
The charge is for $1000+. I wonder if that means a little over a thousand, or between $1k and infinity?

The way I see it...I can't understand that GP's folks didn't see the useage before but i'm guessing they did not have access to her records or pa
There were 2 accounts listed and one card number. It's possible to take funds from more than one account with a single card (access device) and just take cash from an ATM. Purchases would impact only one account so I believe he used an ATM and made purchases. IMO
you can also buy something with a debit card, return it, and get cash back. a bit too complex for him but that's another way to get the cold hard cash.

The indictment states:

On or around August 30, 2021 through and including on or about September 1, 2021 in the District of Wyoming and elsewhere, the defendant, BL, knowingly and with intent to defraud, used one or more unauthorized access devices, namely a Capitol One Bank debit card ending in XX and a PIN for Capital One Bank accounts ending in XX .. and by such conduct obtained things of value aggregating to $1,000 or more during that period, which affected interstate commerce.

In violation of 18 USC 1029(a)(2), (c)(1)(A)(i)

----

8 U.S. Code § 1029 - Fraud and related activity in connection with access devices

(a)Whoever—
(1)knowingly and with intent to defraud produces, uses, or traffics in one or more counterfeit access devices;
(2)knowingly and with intent to defraud traffics in or uses one or more unauthorized access devices during any one-year period, and by such conduct obtains anything of value aggregating $1,000 or more during that period;

18 U.S. Code § 1029 - Fraud and related activity in connection with access devices
I didn't get to reply to your prior comment as the thread closed, but THANK YOU! for the detailed info you provided re: jurisdiction & criminal code!

Sounds like, based on the info available, he used her or her parents cards after her death. I would be willing to bet the charges were related to gas/food/supplies to get home from WY to FL.

JMO.
Sounds like he went on a shopping spree. New clothes, backpack, survival gear, food and phones. JMO

How did he get over $1000. You are kidding me, right? Taking cash out (that would be my #1), food, phones, gas, supplies. $1000 is nothing if you are planning on running away and hiding. $300 at an ATM per day. Plus charges on the card. Good thing he wasn't traveling West, because then it'd be over $1000 just for gas......

Would Gabby's parents now be able to access her bank accounts and other records now they have a death certificate? Would that have led to them reporting the theft to the FBI and them being able to produce the arrest warrant?

Do you know if there is a crime with a higher amount that would give us a ballpark of between $1k and something else?

So these statutes are usually more about hacking and unauthorized access so the focus is on the unauthorized access or counterfeit access card, not really the money that's stolen. I believe the lower limit is $1k to make it similar to other felony classifications. Other similar statutes like wire fraud don't even give a minimum dollar amount but they do require a "scheme" so it's a little different.

In short I don't think there is a similar law but for a greater dollar amount since this one provides for 10 years in prison (!) for a first offense, 20 years in prison (!!) for a second offense.

I'm so sorry - but I've been away today. Can someone sum up what the warrant is for? Did he access his/someone else account? Do we know???

So from the attachments it looks like the arrest warrant is for using Gabby's credit cards and bank accounts after she was probably dead, while he was fleeing WY in her van, from August 29-30.

So he had no money and was stealing hers. Wonder what his funding source is now? *SOMEONE* is helping him.

IMO
Its.possible.they put their money in one bank account !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa