Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, who is to say IF he purchased a gun, he did it legally. He just murdered someone, stole her money and her van, I doubt he is worried about purchasing a gun legally.

Was it stated somewhere that he already owned a gun? Or was this not verified?

Fight or flight.
Acting on advice of others.
Action over inaction.

Maybe they were told they couldn't help search. Those out there are not a civilian team.

Maybe their going to meet a lawyer, be it 3.5 minutes or 3.5 hours away from home, is their way of coping, fighting, acting and preparing for the unknown that comes next. Self-determined, or at the advice of others.

I think we'd all be well-served to be mindful of a couple of things:
1. We all think we know how we'd behave in a situation ... until we're put in it.
2. A lot of people have constructed an image of these people being callous and calculating ... when in fact this may be so far from the truth. They're just as likely (if not moreso) to be average folks from humble beginnings who are in the throws of more turmoil than most anyone will ever experience in their lifetime.
Whose son returned from a cross country trip without the fiance he left with, the same fiance who was later found murdered.

I agree, he probably withdrew cash from an ATM. IMO
That would certainly be the smartest thing to do. Using cash is obviously harder to track. There are usually daily limits-but in most banks you could take out $1,000 in a day-it's a common limit though. Some banks have a limit of as little as $300 (Wells) while others permit up to $2500 (Santander). That's a pretty high limit though.

“Access device" is defined at 18 U.S.C. § 1029(e)(1). Instead of using the term "credit card," or "debit/credit instrument," the term "access device" is used in the statute and is defined broadly as any "card, plate, code, account number, electronic serial number, mobile identification number, personal identification number, or other telecommunications service, equipment, or instrument identifier, or other means of account access that can be used, alone or in conjunction with another access device, to obtain money, goods, services, or any other thing of value, or that can be used to initiate a transfer of funds...." The only limitation, i.e., "other than a transfer originated solely by paper instrument," excludes activities such as passing forged checks.
1030. Definitions
makes me wonder if he used apple pay or something else like that since he had her phone for the random texts

new york/new jersey flip flops are NEVER worn by men (except at the jersey shore)
I see a great many tourists from LI/jersey/the city who wear the flip flops, but maybe it's only when they come to block island.. . . . . We have 3 or 4 similar pairs of them in our closets. I do not think this is him. I think this is just a poor unfortunate guy who resembles BL. .. . but time will tell you never know.

Food for thought.....

AUG 29- BL is picked up at 5:30pm while hiking alone in Grand Teton. B alleged that Laundrie had confessed to camping at an unregulated site in the National Park "in the middle of nowhere along Snake River." Is dropped off near Jackson Dam. The area is about 10 miles northwest from Spread Creek Road. BL offers to give the driver $200!

BL in Wyoming on the 29th, alone, and has money.

JMO

Feels awkward to be excited to see these charges since these are the types of crimes I actually defend (not this one in particular but wire fraud, cyber crimes)

After cousin ran into issues of using mother’s accounts to pay bills (mother’s bills) after mother died, I did make sure I had a joint account with my elderly mother to make sure I had flexibility if anything happened to her. Apparently, it’s a big deal thing to use someone’s bank account after they die. Even with POA, even if you are sole heir, even for their ongoing bills.

I know the dates are outside the range stated, but I'd bet that's where he got the $200 he was willing to pay for a ride. They probably just can't pinpoint her time of death enough to be certain.
I would assume this would be of assistance, if any were needed, to find time of death. The use and/or withdrawals started right after. Probably real likely he went to an ATM, if so, he's on video doing it.

Would Gabby's parents now be able to access her bank accounts and other records now they have a death certificate? Would that have led to them reporting the theft to the FBI and them being able to produce the arrest warrant?
I am on both my daughter's accounts. If they are in need of money its easy for me to float it to them. And if anything happens to them I have complete access to all transactions. Likewise her mother could be on the same account.

I assumed an arrest warrant for murder would come at some point, and that would increase resources to search for him etc. Does the arrest warrant for unauthorized card use do the same? Yes, it does imply he could have been her killer. Do they do APB or BOLO for such things as unauthorized card usage?

At this point, would the FBI or any other LE tell BL's parents in advance that an arrest warrant was coming so they could prepare with an attorney?

Seems doubtful to me, but just wondering about the timing of their visit to an attorney today.

Thanks for asking this, I was literally about to ask the same question on if the parents would've had any advance warning before the arrest warrant was issued publicly.

Claim alone would fail, yes. But really if this was a regular and customary thing, and there was no evidence that you knew someone was deceased, not sure what penalty would be.

My cousin mistakenly used her mother’s account shortly after she died. Certainly no warrant for her arrest for that but she did get a stern warning that it was a serious breach. She just didn’t know.

At this point , that BL is a POI, not accused of murder, makes it so that his status would legally speaking like that of someone legitimately driving GP’s van home, say, at her request and permission, and she died unknown to him after he leaves.

I guess the use of her van , registered solely to her does not fall under such federal rules.
A federal warrant for his arrest from the FBI moves him from POI to Suspect status.

Probably would be wasting valuable LE time reporting that it’s BL as this was on August 28th, the day before the hitchhiker picked BL up in WY which is a known fact.
Transaction might not be visible for that date, particularly if it was night, just before midnight and it does look to be a night shot , possibly?

I knew they could come up with some reason to arrest him if they tried hard enough.

Also, HOW STUPID IS HE TO HAVE USED THE CREDIT CARDS OF THE PERSON HE KILLED?

Sorry for yelling.

just a guess...In Brian's mind he had already created what he thought is a clever and plausible story (alibi!?) for driving Gabby's van alone. For example...could be his story is that he has no idea what happened to Gabby...he left Gabby alive and alone in WY at her request, and had her permission to drive her van home...and also her permission to use her credit cards, etc. So in Brian's mind, this all seems to be normal and expected behavior. And he may have even told his parents this. I think we all have an idea of what really happened, but just guessing how Brian may have justified his behavior. Just my conjecture and opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa