Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but my point was no one calls the AT “in the Appalachians”. It may be topographically correct but is in no way a term of general usage. It is a term someone unfamiliar with hiking it would use.

People call the various ranges ALONG the AT by their names. You’d be hiking the “whites”, the white mountains in NH, the Adirondacks Ny, the Berkshires Ma, the Greens, VT. A geologist may call it the Appalachians but no hiker would.
I know people say they are "from" the Appalachians, so I'm not sure you're right that people would not say "in" the Appalachians.

Reading this latest hitchhiking account it seems Brian was hitchhiking with multiple people but only remaining in their vehicles for short periods of time. Almost like he couldn't stand to be in the car with anyone for longer than say 10-15 minutes or so and would start getting anxious like a caged animal. Strange too, if Miranda Baker* let him out at the Jackson Lake Dam at 6:09pm and then this Norma Jean Jalovec is picking him up at "6:15pm or 6:20pm" near Pacific Creek Landing on Hwy 191 could Brian have gotten yet another ride from someone else whom hasn't come forward? That's at least an hour and a half walk from the dam to Pacific Creek Landing I estimated on Google Maps. The way Brian abruptly gets out of the van at the entrance to Spread Creek Campground suggests to me he was getting very irritable and "over" being polite to those picking him up by this point. Not to mention returning to the scene of the crime and having someone drop him so close must have had his anxiety off the charts.

Last edited:
What if a crime has been committed and BL didn't tell his parents she was dead or about any other criminal activity?
They'd have to be dumber than rocks, not to suspect some sort of criminal activity. Did they seriously think Gabby was going to let him take her van and travel across the country, leaving her with nothing?

BBM, redBM

So, naturally, you wait four days to report him missing. This is either NOT TRUE or they don't care about their kid....which is it?

I think his parents gave him a head start to get out of the area before they reported him missing.
So is it true that US Marshalls will now be who can arrest him?

Any law enforcement officer can arrest BL with a federal warrant.

I’m sorry to say I haven’t been online - but I will say that considering the charges I would not be surprised if he helped himself to the parent cards (we keep ours in a bowl because we trust the people in our house) if they were available
JMO

As the indictment says WY and there’s a news story about use in Benton IL on Aug 29 & 30 I would think it doesn't pertain to snatching his parents card. Just MOO

I believe that the police took all their computers.

What about the need to make a ‘wire transfer’ of funds to retain a lawyer or make pmt??? Possible the lawyer wouldn’t want the transaction made on his business computers since it was payment to his own office or to lawyers he recommended but didn’t wish to be connected by an electronic trail connecting to this high profile case/ conflict interests even maybe?

Last edited:
Its acceptable in hiking communities and hiking areas. People do it all the time.

I do it all the time. We only have one supermarket and it's not too far from the trail but I've often given hikers rides from the market to the trailhead so they don't have to walk along the road. I generally offer rides to couples or solo woman hikers. Guys I leave to the guys!

Sorry if this is an obvious question but I'm really curious about police apparently doing surveillance on the parents today when they went to the lawyer. I'm not stanning for the parents here, just genuinely curious how the law works. To surveil someone, must there be some kind of evidence? Does it need anything like a warrant? I guess what I'm asking is if surveilling the parents suggests anything about their status in this investigation?
I’d love to know more about this too. There was a missing girlfriend and then a dead girlfriend, but no one had surveillance on BL. Yet the parents say he’s been missing in a swamp that he chose to enter with his own free will, and suddenly they are under surveillance. Do they think the parents killed him? How do they decide who needs to be watched?

Reading this latest hitchhiking account it seems Brian was hitchhiking with multiple people but only remaining in their vehicles for short periods of time. Almost like he couldn't stand to be in the car with anyone for longer than say 10-15 minutes or so and would start getting anxious like a caged animal. Strange too, if Miranda Baker* let him out at the Jackson Lake Dam at 6:09pm and then this Norma Jean Jalovec is picking him at "6:15pm or 6:20pm" near Pacific Creek Landing on Hwy 191 could Brian have gotten yet another ride from someone else whom hasn't come forward? That's at least an hour walk from the dam to Pacific Creek Landing I estimated on Google Maps. The way Brian abruptly gets out of the van at the entrance to Spread Creek Campground suggests to me he was getting very irritable and "over" being polite to those picking him up by this point.
I was thinking he didn’t want anyone to see the van or where he was parked…or have anyone ask where his fiancé was…..so my guess is he walked and then got the heck out of there

I know people say they are "from" the Appalachians, so I'm not sure you're right that people would not say "in" the Appalachians.
People do call a part of the area that the Appalachian trail crosses "the Appalachians" -- e.g., in North Carolina, there is Appalachian State University, and people refer to the mountains as The Appalachians. But in other places, the mountains are called something else -- the Smokies, Berkshires, White Mountains, etc. It just depends on where you are. There are arguably "different" mountain ranges, but if you look at a topological map, it's basically one very long range of mountains. They were formed at essentially the same time by glaciers. They are smaller than a some other ranges around the country because they are older and have had longer to erode. Source: my 5th grade geology unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member