Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
You put the numbers in manually. Many people don't store their credit card numbers and banking info on their phones. I don't, I don't feel putting my financial information on my cellphone is safe.

Yeah, fair. But many people do, and young people do. (has anyone looked for GP or BL on Venmo?). Really just trying to point out there are many ways to pay for things besides having a physical card in your possession.

Yes, that entire week Gabby was supposedly alone is a mystery to me. What was she doing the whole time and why didn't she communicate with anyone?

She did. That's the thing. She worked the whole day with her father on her website via youtube live, I guess? He was saying that on Dr. Phil. What he did NOT say to my knowledge is that Brian had left her there alone for the whole week. Seems like something he'd say since he was specifically discussing that time period and since he was adamant if he'd known Brian would leave her alone, he'd go get her. So if he's saying all that, stands to reason he'd mention that Brian really did leave her alone.

We
A sweet young woman who lived with them for 2 years did not come back from a cross country trip with their son. Not only did they not answer any of Gabby's relative's calls/texts but they also didn't reach out to them to make sure she was ok or to make sure they knew that she didn't come back to their home. That is despicable IMO and they deserve whatever consequences arise from their behavior.

"Gabby is staying with a friend and is flying back later." If he said that, why would they be worried?

Gabby Petito update: Brian Laundrie left home without phone or wallet and his parents were concerned he might hurt himself, source says - CNN

A source close to the family of Brian Laundrie told CNN's Chris Cuomo on Thursday that Gabby Petito's fiancé, who is now the subject of a federal warrant, left his parents' Florida home in last Tuesday without his cell phone and wallet.

Laundrie's parents were concerned that he might hurt himself, the source said. Laundrie has not been seen since that Tuesday and authorities have been searching a nature reserve in Venice, not far from the parents' home in North Port.

A North Port Police spokesperson declined to comment on the report.

I really think (hope to god) the FBI just knows more than we do, & they aren’t putting out all those resources in that swamp based solely off the word of his parents. For someone that has a “missing” kid…they are cool as a dang cucumber about it. No public statements, cooperation, nothing. Really makes you wonder what BL’s parents’ definition of “missing” is. ‍♀️
The FBI has forgotten more than the public knows. JMO

I think the female cop gave Gabby an opportunity to seek help, if she wanted it; and Gabby did end up with the truck after the incident. Maybe she wouldn’t have driven all the way across the country to her mom; but I think if she really wanted to get away from him she would’ve. It’s impossible to know what was swirling around in her head then-maybe she just did not want to give up on BL (as girls sometimes do); maybe she couldn’t imagine giving up “vanlife”. They couldn’t make her leave him, after all. But the male cop shouldn’t have commiserated with BL over “crazy women”, and it might have helped if the female cop spoke to BL to get a feel for his disposition.

The female Ranger treated Gabby as the aggressor. They missed quite a few red flags that they are supposed to be trained to recognize. I recognized them and my training came decades ago. Our nation has had laws...and resources...available to victims of domestic violence but they aren't going to help if LE don't do their jobs properly, recognize who is victim and who is aggressor and guide them to the resources.

Gabby loved BL. She had no support system close by, no idea his "mean" treatment of her was not a sign of love. Of course they couldn't make her leave him but they could have connected her with local resources. Moab UT is the county seat with a population of around 5,000. Yet they have an emergency women's shelter. That's where Gabby should have been directed to spend the night. Instead, they not only treated her as the aggressor, they made her feel she was lucky they didn't arrest her. Cops added to her emotional trauma and I have no doubt BL took advantage of it.

JMO

Federal Domestic Violence Laws

Moab, UT Domestic Violence Help, Programs

That’s the opportunity I see. I was talking about it with my sons gf today. They’re 23 & been together since high school. She’s often had friends where she’s been troubled by their relationship. We discussed that Gabby likely would NOT seen herself as a DV “victim”. Girls & boys need to be educated young about what a “good” healthy relationship is. I’ve contacted our local DV org & asked about what kinds of teen educational programs they have & if they need volunteers.
Wonderful and thoughtful post, @HawthorneJuniper. Thanks!

She did. That's the thing. She worked the whole day with her father on her website via youtube live, I guess? He was saying that on Dr. Phil. What he did NOT say to my knowledge is that Brian had left her there alone for the whole week. Seems like something he'd say since he was specifically discussing that time period and since he was adamant if he'd known Brian would leave her alone, he'd go get her. So if he's saying all that, stands to reason he'd mention that Brian really did leave her alone.

There's nothing on the website but one image. I find it hard to believe they worked all day on it.

I don't know this answer, but on the news, the guy who does live coverage was saying it could be because that's where it started initially, and so they did their indictment there since it's a federal crime. I don't know if maybe the exact states like IL, etc will also come forward with separate indictments, but I'm thinking because it's federal, they just kicked it off in WY and might let WY lead. But I don't know, so I guess that doesn't help.

The indictment states “in the District of Wyoming and elsewhere”. I’ve posted a picture of the indictment. Hopefully that’s okay with the mods :) still not sure of approved and not approved things

Attachments

• B0F23ED8-FE85-455A-BADC-7B591D1659FA.jpeg
    B0F23ED8-FE85-455A-BADC-7B591D1659FA.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 17
I think that that is what everyone does. That is not keeping your bank acc number or cc number on your phone.

If you have Apple Wallet, you do keep those things on your phone - which is why you also lock it. But if someone knows your pin, they can get into that app.

Some couples share pins and even face ID.

@Alethea Say Gabby and Brian had pooled their money into Gabby's account and they were both using the cards then would Brian need to know Gabby was dead in order to charge him?

So 18 USC 1029 (Fraud and related activity in connection with access devices) and 18 USC 1030 (Fraud and related activity in connection with computers) are meant to criminalize hacking. They are really meant to protect financial institutions and now other corporate networks from unauthorized access and theft. That is why the penalties are so big (10 years in prison!) compared to state law level theft. It also allows for forfeiture of any personal property used in the offense (they are thinking of computers).

The crime is really defrauding Capital One into giving you access to Gabby's accounts and obtaining more than $1k using that fraud. A PIN number is supposed to be private and unique to each person. Even if you have joint accounts, each party will get their own debit card and PIN. You agree when you open the account that you will not share the PIN with anyone else - it is supposed to be secure.

That doesn't mean everyone keeps their PINs private, I know. But you are supposed to.

An access device includes a bank card, account number, PIN, or any other way of accessing money. An “unauthorized access device” means any access device that is "lost, stolen, expired, revoked, canceled, or obtained with intent to defraud."

That's where the "intent to defraud" comes in. If the PIN owner gives you permission to use the card, your use of the card is not with the intent to defraud. The bank card is not at that point an "unauthorized access device," it is merely an access device. It is with permission or authorization.

If the PIN owner has died, and you did not notify Capital One, you are essentially posing as the PIN owner to withdraw funds which defrauds Capital One. Your access device becomes unauthorized because it is stolen or obtained with intent to defraud. Capital One would not disburse these funds to you if they knew your true identity. Instead, with the intent to deceive you used an access device to gain unauthorized access to the account.

This is a really long way of saying yes I think it means he knew she died or she never gave him permission to use the card in the first place. "Knowingly, with intent to defraud" is a high standard for a mental state but knowing that the person you are impersonating (by using their PIN) has died is acting knowingly with an intent to defraud (Capital One).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member