Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, although Rocky Mountain Power says the outage was over by 5 pm (approx) on Aug 20. It was not that long. And there were still grocery stores open. It's possible that a credit/debit card wouldn't have worked - but surely Gabby would have had $10 for a meal? I figure she was lonely and very upset and wanted to contact her dad, they had a talk (did she tell him it was for two people or not?) And paid for dinner.

But the power outage was not a big deal and is something most 22 year olds could handle out on the road - there was something else going on (no funds, loneliness, anxiety, dad being generous, something...)
Or being locked out of her van and abandoned, the thing that she was so scared of happening again in Moab. I think that he tormented her with threats to abandon her. MOO.

AH! there it is. So my guess was right. Thanks!

no problem! Also pay attention to the words “affected interstate commerce.” This means he is alleged to have moved the money he retrieved or “things” he bought illegally from one state to another. IMO It came down from Wyoming because that’s where it started…but it’s a federal indictment because it involves multiple states since he affected interstate commerce. IMO Meaning he did some shady things with these cards here and did some shady things there and then there

Why wouldn't they answer her family's calls and tell them that?
That's exactly right. What in the world could BL have told them to make them react like that. They either knew the truth or he told them something horrendous about GP. But why would they continue their behaviour. I haven't heard of any ill feelings between the parents prior to this. Boggling...

I didn't realize it was that long. I thought it was just long enough to order pizza. Still, I would think that she would be talking to her friends or her mom. My impression is that she was a lot more social and outgoing than Brian.

And I do remember him saying if he knew she was alone he'd come get her. I wonder why she didn't feel comfortable enough to tell her parents what was going on, especially if they did break up at that time. Maybe she didn't want them to worry.

It will be interesting to learn what LE finds on her cellphone and computer data during that time.

Why she didn't tell her parents?

Abusive relationship = embarrassment for most of us. It's the entire reason it's such a cycle. Two elements: the abuser is contrite and tries to make up; the abused person is mortified and wants to be an adult and handle things by themselves.

It takes more than just a couple of seminars to get people in controlling and then abusive relationships to wise up. IME.

So 18 USC 1029 (Fraud and related activity in connection with access devices) and 18 USC 1030 (Fraud and related activity in connection with computers) are meant to criminalize hacking. They are really meant to protect financial institutions and now other corporate networks from unauthorized access and theft. That is why the penalties are so big (10 years in prison!) compared to state law level theft. It also allows for forfeiture of any personal property used in the offense (they are thinking of computers).

The crime is really defrauding Capital One into giving you access to Gabby's accounts and obtaining more than $1k using that fraud. A PIN number is supposed to be private and unique to each person. Even if you have joint accounts, each party will get their own debit card and PIN. You agree when you open the account that you will not share the PIN with anyone else - it is supposed to be secure.

That doesn't mean everyone keeps their PINs private, I know. But you are supposed to.

An access device includes a bank card, account number, PIN, or any other way of accessing money. An “unauthorized access device” means any access device that is "lost, stolen, expired, revoked, canceled, or obtained with intent to defraud."

That's where the "intent to defraud" comes in. If the PIN owner gives you permission to use the card, your use of the card is not with the intent to defraud. The bank card is not at that point an "unauthorized access device," it is merely an access device. It is with permission or authorization.

If the PIN owner has died, and you did not notify Capital One, you are essentially posing as the PIN owner to withdraw funds which defrauds Capital One. Your access device becomes unauthorized because it is stolen or obtained with intent to defraud. Capital One would not disburse these funds to you if they knew your true identity. Instead, with the intent to deceive you used an access device to gain unauthorized access to the account.

This is a really long way of saying yes I think it means he knew she died or she never gave him permission to use the card in the first place. "Knowingly, with intent to defraud" is a high standard for a mental state but knowing that the person you are impersonating (by using their PIN) has died is acting knowingly with an intent to defraud (Capital One).
Thank you! If they were both using Gabby's cards what's to stop him saying he didn't know she was dead? Would LE have to have knowledge that he knew she was dead to charge him? Or based on what we know so far in the case would that be enough for LE to convince them he knew? Hope that makes sense! o_O

To use internet without tracking? Some libraries are large enough to have actual cameras and surveillance, but not where I live (SoCal).
I mentioned the case ^^^^ where a Northwestern professor and his co-conspirator murdered a young man in gruesome fashion then went on the run. At some point, the professor made a donation at a small library. This was used to track him down. (IIRC not via camera). So, libraries won't preserve your anonymity, that's for sure.

Northwestern Professor Allegedly Killed Boyfriend in Sexual Fantasy

Yes, although Rocky Mountain Power says the outage was over by 5 pm (approx) on Aug 20. It was not that long. And there were still grocery stores open. It's possible that a credit/debit card wouldn't have worked - but surely Gabby would have had $10 for a meal? I figure she was lonely and very upset and wanted to contact her dad, they had a talk (did she tell him it was for two people or not?) And paid for dinner.

But the power outage was not a big deal and is something most 22 year olds could handle out on the road - there was something else going on (no funds, loneliness, anxiety, dad being generous, something...)

On Dr Phil, he dad said they were working on her website or webpage. Whatever it was. And he said they were youtubing each other. He said he bought her pizza. He did mention she said something about a power outage. He never said it was why she couldn't have food the next day. He also NEVER said Brian left her alone in that state at that time, but he did say that if Brian did leave her alone like that, he'd go get her. So I do not get why her father would not mention an important detail like Brian actually freaking left her once before on that trip.

Last edited:
It's not an instant process, she was working creatively.. not just shooting and going.. there was background music, special effects, possibly filters, (for his mug) and so much more that I don't have a clue about. I know from working with artists that editing takes 00's of hours...
Also, if he was a prop and not there she was likely editing footage already shot?

Much of the footage was from a previous trip altogether. I wonder if she wasn't running out of material while he was gone.

She may have met someone while he was gone. This case has taken so many turns, wouldn't be surprised if a mystery man emerges.
I highly doubt it! Not after being with him for 7 yrs.
She probably wanted to, hoped that she could end the relationship with him.
At 22, any guy that got a sense about that relationship would hit the ground running after a run in with him.
He had already managed to isolate her from literally everyone.
A new relationship was never gonna happen.
IMO
It's the nightmare highschool sweethearts story you never hear about.
Been there done that!
I wish she did meet someone in his absence though! Even after her death, he'd be frothing at the mouth!
MOO

I had to look back to Gabby's stay in the SLC hotel. What was going on?

Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

(Gabby's mom) She's also questioning Brian's trip back to Florida in August to help his father move their belongings out of a storage unit.

Brian left Gabby in the Fairfield Inn in Salt Lake City and flew back home to Florida from August 17 to the 23 to help his father empty out a storage unit where he and Gabby had their things.

According to Schmidt, Brian's father offered to let them keep their belongings at his house so they wouldn't have to pay for the storage unit.

He left Gabby at the hotel so she, understandably, wouldn't be alone in the van. Brian then flew back to Utah and they left the hotel together on August 24.

Schmidt now wonders why it was necessary to move Gabby's things during their road trip and what became of her stuff.

'Where are her things?' she asked."

snip

The Perkins restaurant is attached to the hotel and supplies morning breakfast to the Fairfield Inn guests.

A cashier at Perkins restaurant told DailyMail.com that she saw Gabby in the hotel lobby around August 24.

Justina Suazo, 49, said, 'I distinctly remember her because I commented to my co-worker how cute she was. I saw her in the lobby and she appeared to be just a normal guest.'

When showed a picture of Brian Laundrie, she said, 'I never saw him at the hotel.'

At the Kicks 66 convenience store located down the street just a few hundred yards away from the Fairfield Inn, a cashier recognized the couple.

The cashier told the DailyMail.com, 'They came into together on the night of August 21. I remember them because he was telling her to 'hurry up.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain