Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
not if you are called as a witness, not a suspect. At least that's what I've been told from legal based friends. the suspect can plead the 5th, but not a witness
"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be ..." 5th amendment. Fact is, no one can force you to speak. The 5th amendment merely states that right so our legal system can't punish you or attempt to physically force you to speak, i.e. torture you to speak. It doesn't just apply to a suspect, it applies to all persons.

1. If BL hasn't committed suicide, he will be found soon enough. I'm not sure he or his family are sophisticated enough, with the appropriate connections, to obtain near perfect fake identifications.

2. It'll be near impossible for his family to support him while on the run. As they discovered on their trip to Orlando, their every move is being scrutinized by LE. It wouldn't surprise me if their vehicles arent being monitored by GPS installed by LE.

3. The parents phones and all digital communications are probably also being monitored. To me, BL is alone and on his own. Once what little cash he had on hand runs out he will be caught. Most likely he will be discovered dumpster diving for food.

4. He left his phone and identification to remove any digital and hard footprint. He most likely has a burner phone but it won't do him any good. No one is going to come to help. If they do, he will be caught.

For the sake of closure I hope he isn't in the belly of a gator. He's probably too cowardly to commit suicide.

Jmo, Moo

I think we've been missing something really big in the timelines, or I missed this discussion and it hasn't been removed on our main timeline.

The text "no service in Yosemite" couldn't haven't come from GP's phone. According to the search warrant, the last communication from her phone was the 27th and it was NO LONGER OPERATIONAL. So there could have been no text on the 30th.

I stand by my theory that that GP's grandfather was calling during/after whatever transpired and BL was panicking and needed it to stop.

Edit: fixed spelling. Sometimes I swipe too fast and hit post in my excitement, so please ignore those blatant, nonsensical errors. Eventually I'll see them.

I don't want this to get lost in this fast moving thread, so I'm posting again. I wasn't here in the beginning, so maybe someone who was can tell me if this has been addressed or do we need to update the tineline?

not if you are called as a witness, not a suspect. At least that's what I've been told from legal based friends. the suspect can plead the 5th, but not a witness

Correct - if the government gives you immunity for your testimony, which does happen, you have no basis to invoke your 5th amendment rights since your testimony cannot be held against you. Refusing to cooperate after that when called as a witness can be considered contempt of court.

it is indeed. Your first scenario is interesting to me. He may have decided he couldn’t part with his things or also left something he needed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ive thinking scenario #1 as well. If they argued after parking the van and, say, she ran out into the field and he chased her, and continued the kind of action that was witnessed in Moab that could have killed her. That would explain why she was "hidden" in such an open area--if he was stunned by what he had done and just took off running without a plan, he could have been exactly where he said he was--by the Snake River all night. Eventually, he would have to realize that he had to do more than that. If he had no phone, no money and no transportation, he was going to have to go back to the scene. That could be why the van sat there for several days unoccupied before he left. JMO

What I don’t understand about that is why he didn’t just play that card when he got back. Why not have them drive him to the van and be all “OmG she’s not here where is she???” And have them as a witness? Idk

Maybe that was his original plan (or, better yet, to return to find somebody else had already discovered the scene) and, through a fear of his acting/story/alibi not holding up heightened by his possible guilty conscience, panicked at the last moment and decided that attempting to evade LE entirely was slightly more preferential than trying to act his way through a post-return investigation. IE, if he called it in, witness or otherwise, he would forgo an opportunity to attempt to evade LE from that point on.

For these reasons, I think an attempt at an alibi that then turned into going on the run is feasible - his possible guilty conscience convinced him the story wouldn’t hold up and he’d have inadvertently turned himself in in the process, so changed his mind, got out before the witness gave him a lift all the way back, confirmed nobody else had discovered the crime, and bolted.

ETA: an attempt to cook up an alibi by hitch-hiking immediately after the incident might be supported by the theory he sent GP’s mother a text in what we think must be the immediate aftermath (if she was seen alive at Merry Piglets earlier that afternoon) in a proof of life attempt - ie, it implies his mind instantly turned towards self-preservation.

Last edited:
Brian Laundrie Arrest Warrant Issued as Cops Swarm Florida Preserve Again in Manhunt – NBC 6 South Florida (nbcmiami.com)
Law enforcement officers and specialized dive teams return to a Florida nature preserve for a fourth straight day Friday with renewed urgency in their hunt for Brian Laundrie, Gabby Petito's fiancé who is now officially a wanted man by the FBI.

The federal arrest warrant unveiled a day ago does not implicate Laundrie in the death of Petito, whose case has been ruled a homicide, but it does ensure law enforcement has the power to hold him on some charge -- in this case one involving debit card fraud -- if they ever do find the 23-year-old man, now missing 10 days.

[...]

A candlelight vigil will be held in the young woman's Long Island hometown on Friday night.

[...]

I am quite sure it’s been addressed, but I’ve missed it if it has. Where is the “the van”? Is it still being examined for evidence?

I don't think we know. We haven't heard of it being returned to anyone ... presumably the police still have it. I think Gabby's family would take ownership of it, once it is released.

The federal arrest warrant for BL states that he used Gabby's bank card between
Aug. 30th and Sept. 1st. The last know sighting of Gabby we are aware of is on the 27th. Do you guys think the FBI has later sightings of her? If she were still alive up until the 29th that would place the $200 hitchhiker incident, and the Stan message before her death. My guess is she died on the 27/28th, but he didn't use the debit card until the 30th.

I think you're right. I think they may have specifically limited the indictment to 8/30 to eliminate any argument that she was alive and gave him permission to retrieve the funds.

Why do they keep going to the preserve if they don’t think he is there?
Two things:
1. the FBI isn't going in the reserve. They're using their resources elsewhere, like following his parents around.
2. it makes sense to completely make sure Brian isn't in that reserve, so search it thoroughly and it can be ruled out. I look at it as dotting every i and crossing every t.

My opinion only...

I think they are looking for evidence in the reserve. That possibly the family camping trip when he returned to FL was to 1) disperse and get rid of evidence in the reserve and 2) to drop him somewhere to give him a head start on his escape. Fitted him out with burner phone(s), food, equipment.ent, and cash.

Again...JMHO.
TFR issued again today for flights across the search area for 3 miles

i think its about 15.000 feet

Just heard them mention this...what does this mean exactly? Was 400 ft now 1200 ft. They are flying at 1500 ft.

They can still plead the 5th and refuse to answer questions, no one can force you to speak and the constitution protects you from self-incriminating statements, however they can be compelled to appear.

I'm under the impression they can plead the 5th unless they're granted immunity from prosecution.

JMOO, though.

Some very intrusive photos of the Laundries being tailed by FBI while in Orlando in the Daily Mail. Funny how they went all that way just to stand in the library and meet with Steve. imo.

I don't think we know. We haven't heard of it being returned to anyone ... presumably the police still have it. I think Gabby's family would take ownership of it, once it is released.

Thank you-I asked this question because I think there are still people here who think the van’s ownership is nebulous, and it would seem to solve the question if it’s in the possession of Gabby’s family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆