Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I don't understand is why people are only just coming forward NOW about it.

Does that not seem suspicious to you!? This case has been making the news worldwide for 2 weeks now.

It just seems slightly odd to me that someone would only just recall that they picked up BL at the time this all happened..

JMO
Many do not have cable, watch news, not on twitter. My 30 year old married daughter, 2 kids, somehow had not heard of this case as of yesterday.

It's not odd at all. Number of times I've watched the news in the last 6 months: ZERO. I knew Gabby disappeared because I'm a member of many hiking/camping groups, but I never bothered reading the details until a few days ago. If I had not been in those groups I would be clueless about the details of her case still.

This from a person who's been a member of this site for many, many years. There are still a lot of people in this world who don't pay attention to the news, don't delve into sensational stories, don't frequent social media, and they're probably the better for it because they didn't just spend the last four days glued to a laptop, ignoring their real life like I just did. :)

Most of the recent people have specifically mentioned why it took a while for them to notice what they had. The New Orleans couple was coping with a Cat 5 hurricane. Another woman didn't notice anything until she was editing her own video some time later. The most recent woman didn't realize she had seen something significant until she saw MB's video.

One of the lessons I take from this is that it's never too late to give publicity to a missing persons case, even if it's been years. You never know when somebody will realize they have something important that they never knew the significance of.

Still following of course, but mostly just updates, because the threads are going at lightening speed.

Thinking this morning about this search, made me remember the intense manhunt for Christopher Dorner, here in southern CA. Does anyone remember? it was in 2013, the guy was on a revenge killing spree that began in Irvine. They couldn't find the guy. After 12 or 13 days he was sighted in the Big Bear Lake area and was eventually found in a cabin he'd broken into. Christopher Dorner shootings and manhunt - Wikipedia

Makes me wonder if BL might not be holed up in some secluded snowbird residence.
I don't know, police appear to be very concentrated on a particular area in that reserve though, with all those resources. But how on earth does he survive all these days in that swampy environment.

I so want him to be found alive.....

It is strange, there are better ways to move stuff if it's needed to be out of sight. Maybe they planned on sticking that camper somewhere but thought better of it for some reason

We are silly to be trusting the neighbors word on when they bought this camper or when they went out of town with it. My neighbors can’t even remember what day trash day is, or whether it’s yard waste week or not. Why are we believing what the neighbors say on any of this when they don’t even seem sure on the timeline of the info they are sharing? They may well have had this camper all along. Or had purchased it already and just picked it up just prior to the doody hitting the fan. I think that unless this purchase and alleged camping trip are verified by LE we need to just stop believing it was something that actually happened.

Not sure if this is helpful or not related to the Capital 360 accounts. When my kids were young, Capital did a huge promotion, gave everyone setting up an account something like $200. I set up checking and savings, and then they had a promotion to add kids. I added my kids, under my "umbrella". They are independent, sort of. While I can access all of the accounts from my app, I can and do add money, and can transfer money between all accounts, they can only see and access their own. They are in their 20s now, and these are still the only checking and savings accounts they have, they work great! I think it is possible that Gabby's accounts are similar to this. MOO

Yes! I have the same setup with my Capital360 accounts. I also have a IRA in additon to the savings & checking for myself and my children.

Does it not seem odd that if that were the case, GP - being alone as a young woman (safety standpoint), especially a young known to be desperate at times *not* to be separated from BL - would have reached out to family or her friend, Rose, while he was off hiking in a huff? Given other glimpses into their life (included how distraught she was during the traffic stop), she does not really seem to be the type who would just shrug her shoulders, lock the doors, and keep working.
I would agree completely, however, online reviews of the camping spots in that area of Spread Creek mention poor cell reception. Or, he could have taken her phone, as has been indicated as a possible prior point of contention. Or he could have broken her phone. We just don't know. Just because she didn't contact anyone during that time doesn't necessarily mean it was because she was dead, although I understand that seems the most logical. At this point, we don't even know what happened to her phone or if the message sent on the 30th came from her phone or other device.

I guess, in my mind, it would seem a natural response to just get the heck out of there as soon as he could after he realized what he'd done, vs. leaving everything as is and hiking around before coming back to the scene of the crime. I mean, I know there are killer types who do that sort of thing, but I don't see this as that type of killing.

I don't know...two days ago I thought he probably killed her right after the Merry Piglets incident. We're just missing a lot of the middle pieces.

Not so sure. He was seen on many videos driving the Van with her, he seemed to be the key holder. Why I have a doubt he would be charged. Is because I had give a house cleaner the key to my home. She could not disarm my security system. When the police arrived she told them she was the house cleaner. When I questioned them on how easy it would be to do a break in with that reason for being in my home. They told me because she had a key. They told me anytime you give a person a key you are giving them permission of entry. So you change your locks. So I would imagine that would include many things if you’ve given a person a key.
Would those parameters change if the owner of the property was deceased and unable to give permission?

THIS. Not everyone that sent a tip in to the FBI has run to MSM or social media to share their findings. Some people prefer to remain private. IMO

There were tens of thousands of people in Yellowstone and Grand Teton during the last two weeks of August. It's the busiest time of the year in some of the most popular parks in the nation. I'm guessing there are still thousands of people who have yet to process their photos and videos who have something in the background that they didn't realize was there.

Most of the recent people have specifically mentioned why it took a while for them to notice what they had. The New Orleans couple was coping with a Cat 5 hurricane. Another woman didn't notice anything until she was editing her own video some time later. The most recent woman didn't realize she had seen something significant until she saw MB's video.

One of the lessons I take from this is that it's never too late to give publicity to a missing persons case, even if it's been years. You never know when somebody will realize they have something important that they never knew the significance of.

Also a lot of these people live a lifestyle purposely aimed at getting away from MSM and the rat race. They are on the road and in the wild, not watching tv or on the internet. When they do reach civilisation, or a camp ground and its discussed, it may trigger their memory.

Sure, but BL could be in any state and get lost in the woods. If he really wants to live in the woods. But does anyone think he can do that for long? I think the boredom level for BL would have to be getting pretty high about now. He can't go anywhere or talk to anyone or do anything or eat at a restaurant. How is he getting water and food? Everyone needs food, even if BL can supposedly live on nearly nothing. Does anyone think he really wants to be eating crackers and insects for months on end? He can't even build a fire and cook anything or stay warm by a fire without fear of being spotted. That's a bit different than going on the AT and camping normally, building a fire, etc. It can get cold in the south in the winter, even freeze and snow.

I think he's a true loner, and that having relationships is way harder for him than being by himself. He says he lived on the AT without cooking. In fact, most everything shown eaten by Gabby and BL during this trip was raw (perhaps all of it). I don't think he'll need to eat insects for months on end, but I do think he might get caught eating scraps of others' foods - that'll be something he probably tries (from thrown away food or caches, but he won't be the only one, so people on trails everywhere need to be on the look-out for him).

I do agree that winter will be difficult. He'll have some difficult choices to make. People do leave cast off clothing in various places on some trails but if he really did take off for some trail, then I'm going to wager that the 3 day camping trip was possibly to store things somewhere near a trail for him to use later. Since no one knows what trail he might be on, I do think he could build a fire a couple of months from now and not immediately be caught - there are far too many fires at night in certain areas for each one of them to be followed up on.

I am not fully caught up on precisely what he did to get the federal warrant (there seem to be two charges?) besides the likely use of Gabby's ATM card. Did he pick up another burner phone, using her card as well?

Best bet is to get his face out there, with various modifications to his appearance - but so many young men will end up being reported, as he certainly has few distinguishing features. I have seen nearly no TV coverage of his hand tattoos, for example (if they are permanent and not made by one of those lasting tattoo dye markers - the opinion of some people on the internet is that they are real; he has them pictured in his SM, but I can't find the one picture right now. Some people are confusing his rather large number of tattoo pins (pinned for inspiration, I think) with his actual tattoos - would be great if the FBI would give us some verified pictures...

Everything is say in this post is my opinion.

Regarding the parents being prosecuted for accessory after the fact. It is my opinion, they won't be. Earlier is stated that it was of little use. I believe the DA would not be too interested, because they are usually not. State or Fed.

MOO. The 'use' would be to deter parents in future cases from following this pattern. I hope each and every possible charge is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in this case for that very reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea