Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably hard to pinpoint the "ping" because everything north of there is wilderness for miles, so no towers there for a good triangulation. Even the reporters are having trouble with their own devices, signal very sparse.
Actually, Aren't there towers right in that preserve/reserve/whatever-it-called? The FAA sectional map alerts pilots to "structures" exceeding 1,000'... which is highly highly likely to be communication towers. I dunno. Never been there.

I am glad to hear this, for we all know that had MoabPD done its job correctly, Gabby would still be alive today.
1) Dispatch apparently did not inform the responding police abut the 911 report which reported Brian was slapping Gabby in public.
2) Despite seeing bruises and cuts on both Brian and Gabby, Moab PD did not take them to the nearest hospital for a full body examination, which may have revealed more evidence of DV hidden by clothing. Also it would have provided Gabby with more of a chance to tell someone what Brian had been doing to her.
3) They did not arrest Gabby despite their investigation concluding she was the aggressor. Had they arrested her, she may be alive to this day.

The investigation should just be to correct procedures, not to discipline or ruin anyone's career. Buts lets stop trying to pretend MoabPD did not blow the last chance to save Gabby's life.

The eyewitness incident was reported correctly. It is at the top of the printed police report.

I read a few articles that Gabby's parent didn't contact BL parents until the 10th. Its been made out that BL's parents ignored her parents for at least a week or more before her being reported missing. Does anyone have any confirmation of when her parents started asking questions of BL's parents and sister?
This is what the dad said on Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil
Did you call Brian during or at the end of this 10 days?

Dad
We called Brian. We called the mom. We called the dad. We called the sister. We called every number we could find and we got no phone calls were picked up. No text messages were returned. So we text them "Have you seen our kids. You know we haven't heard from them in a little while. We're getting really nervous and we're about to call the police.

And you'd think when someone says they're about to call the police to find your missing kid you would return a phone call. I mean that's just what logic would dictate for normal people. And you don't get any response, I mean that just makes it more concerning doesn't it?

Dr. Phil
So mom, dad, sister, Brian, Nobody took your calls?

Dad
No-one.

Because her dreams didn't kill her. A man that she trusted and loved did (in my opinion) and police are are sworn to protect saw a girl in complete distress and were pretty flippant and irresponsible with their position. I don't think it's a coincidence she didn't last long after the interaction. I suppose we could say she shouldn't have trusted and loved him. But again, trust and love didn't kill her. A man did. I do not believe the police are RESPONSIBLE for her death. They didn't kill her. They are simply responsible for their poor response. They should be held to account for their actions, not the other. But it's still not blaming. I'm sure many of us will just have to agree to disagree on that.

All JMO and such.

There were.signs long before this!
Sad.it ended this way!
Jmo

Intelligence by what means do we think? Assuming CNN’s source is correct in that Brian left his cellphone behind when he took off then it’s certainly not phone data driven. I can’t imagine it be car data since we already know it was there since a ticket was left on it.
It’s Info his parents gave them and the Mustang that was there. If they have anything else , we do not know. They have to look somewhere and this has back up reason. Where else can they do a directed search?

They did not want to arrest her because of the impact an arrest would have on her future. Maybe Utah law needs a way to expunge domestic violence arrests from a person's history for first time offenders in a situation such as this. If there were lower consequences for her, they might have followed through with the arrest.
No idea how that would work. Moreover, imagine the outcry the first time an expunged offender (for lack of a better identifier) re-offended... or killed. Imagine the outcry. Maybe there's a "happy" medium in there somewhere.

So Brian Entin said that Jennifer (former FBI agent he interviewed) thinks Brian is too narcissistic to kill himself. I really hope she is right.

I agree I don’t think he would do it by himself. Now, if he could take others out with him I could definitely see him doing that.

You've got to understand, training is one thing, but acting within the bounds of the law is sometimes something else altogether. Police could know in their gut, 100% without question that a party is in a dangerous situation, but if the laws of the state do not permit them to do anything meaningful, then the training then becomes unimpactful. Keep in mind, they're job is to enforce the laws, not serve as marital counselors.

The training for police should make them aware of the dangers of DV situations, the threats either party is facing, and doing what they can to separate and/or diffuse the conflict.

Real meaningful change is going to come through the laws. I'm not a big fan of just trying to separate them for the night. Personally, I think it should be legislated, that if police are called for a DV situation, there should be a mandatory, 72 hour temporary restraining order on both parties. Keeping them separate and giving parties time to settle and think logically about the situation might lead to fewer people going right back into toxic situations.
\people stay for many years in DV relationships for well documented reasons.
There is no magic bullet about 72 hrs or realistic expectation that it will do more than 12 hrs or 20 minutes.
One size does not fit all.
Every case is different.

Had she informed LE that day that she was a victim, they would have acted immediately.
Without that, their hands are tied in the moment.
They did a lot more than many other police forces would do.
They showed her kindness, didn't destroy her life with a DV charge, provided her with a woman to talk to, gave her a drink, probably made sure she was made safe for the night.

They're not mind readers. They are not trained psychiatrists.

I recognised what was going on because I know it, personally and professionally.
But I reckon an awful lot of people would not have recognised it...
Bottom line is that she wasn't ready to leave him or face the truth of the reality she found herself in.

And that paralysed 'syndrome' seems to go with the territory as the victim is constantly being forced into a state of cognitive dissonance, skilfully programmed to believe only in her own sense of powerlessness.

When you don't believe you have any power...

ETA- all of the above is my opinion.

Stingray Tracking Devices: Who's Got Them?

Cell-Site Simulators/IMSI Catchers

US Marshals Airborne IMSI Catchers

Rather than wildly speculate, I'm going to speculate in a somewhat reasoned manner.

A "Stingray" is what's called a Cellular Site Simulator. It's a "man-in-the-middle" device that acts just like a cellular phone tower, often called an "IMSI Catcher." With some very rare exceptions, the IMSI of a cellular phone cannot be changed. You can change the SIM card, switch service to a different provider, replace the entire operating system on the phone with something custom, and it still will not change the IMSI that is written to a read-only memory chip on most phones.

These devices do more than just capture the IMSI of cellular phones that are connected to it, but at the end of the day, once LE has an IMSI and an APN (Access Point Name that is a gateway into a specific cellular system), they can issue a warrant to the company behind the APN (T-Mobile, Verizon, etc) to get a comprehensive list of everywhere that phone has been, every call, SMS or MMS that was placed and to whom, how much data was used, which sites they went to on the internet (DNS lookup records), and a bevvy of other pieces of crucial information that can aid in a manhunt.

According to the ACLU, Florida local law enforcement and state law enforcement have Stringray devices they can deploy. The FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service also have this technology.

Here's generally how it's deployed: Do you remember when they were using an airplane instead of a helicopter to run tight circles around the Reserve? Stingrays are almost always in an airplane instead of a helicopter (for what reason, I do not know), and they fly over and capture all of the cellular traffic from the area over which they are circling.

My measured and reasoned speculation is that they have captured an IMSI of either a phone known to be BL's, or that the IMSI matches up to a pre-paid phone that was only very recently activated, meaning the cellular provider has only seen that IMSI on their network since, say...early September, and that can be traced back as sold to him along his route home or possibly purchased in North Port.

Alright, enough of that. Time for some wild speculation. I think BL is still alive, I think people underestimate his survival skills, and I don't think he's in North Port or the Reserve. He sure has a predilection for hitchhiking, though, so would anyone be surprised if he hitched a ride with some random person and is gone?

MOO

So Brian Entin said that Jennifer (former FBI agent he interviewed) thinks Brian is too narcissistic to kill himself. I really hope she is right.

I agree I don’t think he would do it by himself. Now, if he could take others out with him I could definitely see him doing that.

No, she did admit that.

I'm not bragging here but I have a photographic memory. But just in case I didn't hear what happened because of your comment I went back to the video tape of the stop.

At 6:10 into the video BL gave the explanation as to why he hit the curb and he is the one who said she grabbed the steering wheel. Further down approximately 11:15 the officer then asked her if she had grabbed the steering wheel and she said No, that she had tried getting his attention about the police behind them and stated she hit him in the arm only.

I wanted to clarify because it was a important detail that he lied to the police.

Interesting. So a 72 hour separation would work where a 8-12 hour separation would not.

I'm not so sure about that. JMO.

Please read up on domestic violence, common behaviors and mindsets of victims (and abusers), and more/less effective ways of addressing volatile situations. If you google "domestic violence resources," you will find many national organizations, as well as resources and organizations local to you. I am certain that the staff of any of your local organizations would be happy to provide answers and direction regarding any assumptions or questions.

This is what the dad said on Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil
Did you call Brian during or at the end of this 10 days?

Dad
We called Brian. We called the mom. We called the dad. We called the sister. We called every number we could find and we got no phone calls were picked up. No text messages were returned. So we text them "Have you seen our kids. You know we haven't heard from them in a little while. We're getting really nervous and we're about to call the police.

And you'd think when someone says they're about to call the police to find your missing kid you would return a phone call. I mean that's just what logic would dictate for normal people. And you don't get any response, I mean that just makes it more concerning doesn't it?

Dr. Phil
So mom, dad, sister, Brian, Nobody took your calls?

Dad
No-one.

They don't answer the question though. They don't indicate when they actually started calling. Is there anywhere that actually says when they started calling/texting

Its not a dig at them at all. They are distressed so normal to not answer the exact question. And its completely understandable if they didnt call until the 10th because they thought their daughter was safe. I just wondering for BL and parents timeline of behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288