Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
well them having no clue, other than "oh we broke up" or "she went off with a friend, we are taking a break" is totally plausible, if they were not alerted she was missing until the 10th themselves. Its also plausible they believed he left her and he lied and said, "something happened after I left" for them to believe him and hire a lawyer. Most parents would believe and support their kid, in this situation at the start. Then he goes missing on the 14th and they called the FBI fearing for his safety. It seems all plausible that they are just some parents mixed up with some horrible thing their kid did.
Yes it is plausible they did not think anything was wrong til contacted on the 10th. There are plenty of cases where parents have lawyered up when their child has possibly committed a serious criminal act, absolutely smart, but they do so to have guidance from an atty, to work a deal with LE for leniency, not to protect their child from suffering any consequences for their actions. I view their continuing silence as an attempt to protect their son regardless of what he may have done.
MOO

The 911 caller said he slapped her, then chased her down the sidewalk and was hitting her. This had to before she crawled through the window and after he locked her out of her van. Imo
I think this whole thing about the 911 call and how the details were apparently not relayed to LE for the stop highlights a problem that gets swept under the rug: Dispatcher training. When a dispatcher doesn't take a call seriously (like when the social worker called to report Josh Powell taking his kids, after which he killed them and himself), or when they don't fully share details with officers which could very much change the outcome of a police interaction, there should be consequences there. There was a case in my hometown when I was young, where a person was getting beaten to death with baseball bats, multiple people called 911 to report it, and listening to the heinously indifferent attitudes of the 911 operators when those calls were released to the public, gahhhh, it's choking me up just thinking about it.

Transcript of the Josh Powell call in order to provide a link:
Transcript: Social worker's 911 call from Josh Powell's home

i feel kinda bad for the officers that did the store, thought they spent ample time with the couple and did the best they could do at the time with what they knew, i dont know what anyone expected of them, have you ever tried to keep a young girl away from their boyfriend?

We can't say what would have happened because what LE could do didn't happen. BL being arrested and Gabby being taken to a women's shelter for professional help might have prompted Gabby to call her parents for help. But we will never know that now will we? The idea that nothing would have been different or that nothing would have helped is simply not true.

I agree I don’t think he would do it by himself. Now, if he could take others out with him I could definitely see him doing that.
She also said that she does not believe he is in that preserve being searched and that she believes his parents set him up elsewhere during that trip they made with the camper to. Those are her opinions. We’ ll find out if she is correct in time

Last edited:
Ugh. You can just picture how nasty/threatening BL was probably being towards GP right before finally pulling over for the cops. He may have said he'd beat her badly or even kill her if she ratted him out for his DV - it would explain why she felt the need to take the blame as soon as the interaction with the cops started. MOO

Last edited:
Yes it is plausible they did not think anything was wrong til contacted on the 10th. There are plenty of cases where parents have lawyered up when their child has possibly committed a serious criminal act, absolutely smart, but they do so to have guidance from an atty, to work a deal with LE for leniency, not to protect their child from suffering any consequences for their actions. I view their continuing silence as an attempt to protect their son regardless of what he may have done.
MOO

They can't really do or say much if he isn't. He isn't a child. For all we know they could have been imploring him to talk and thats why he fled on the 14th. Not defending them. Just reserving judgement till we know the full story and the actual timeline

The 911 caller said "they were running up and down the sidewalk." See timestamp 0:44.

Right.

Dispatcher: What were they doing?
Caller: Er we drove by and the gentleman was slapping the girl.
Dispatcher: He was slapping her?.
Caller: Yes and then we stopped. They ran up and down the sidewalk. He proceeded to hit her. Hopped in the car and they drove off.

I can't remember the user's name who called in the tip about the man in the helicopter video, but I haven't seen it covered anywhere, did any MSM pick it up? No one seems to be talking about it online.

*Edited by me because I can't type today :)

At this point, I'm interested in CCTV depicting the red truck w/topper leaving North Port for parts unknown on or about the evening of the 11th and returning on or about the early morning of the 13th.
I'm also interested in CCTV of Brian's route from the crime scene to North Port.
Gonna take some time.
Do you think BL can be charged with interstate transportation of a stolen vehicle and grand theft?

Stingray Tracking Devices: Who's Got Them?

Cell-Site Simulators/IMSI Catchers

US Marshals Airborne IMSI Catchers

Rather than wildly speculate, I'm going to speculate in a somewhat reasoned manner.

A "Stingray" is what's called a Cellular Site Simulator. It's a "man-in-the-middle" device that acts just like a cellular phone tower, often called an "IMSI Catcher." With some very rare exceptions, the IMSI of a cellular phone cannot be changed. You can change the SIM card, switch service to a different provider, replace the entire operating system on the phone with something custom, and it still will not change the IMSI that is written to a read-only memory chip on most phones.

These devices do more than just capture the IMSI of cellular phones that are connected to it, but at the end of the day, once LE has an IMSI and an APN (Access Point Name that is a gateway into a specific cellular system), they can issue a warrant to the company behind the APN (T-Mobile, Verizon, etc) to get a comprehensive list of everywhere that phone has been, every call, SMS or MMS that was placed and to whom, how much data was used, which sites they went to on the internet (DNS lookup records), and a bevvy of other pieces of crucial information that can aid in a manhunt.

According to the ACLU, Florida local law enforcement and state law enforcement have Stringray devices they can deploy. The FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service also have this technology.

Here's generally how it's deployed: Do you remember when they were using an airplane instead of a helicopter to run tight circles around the Reserve? Stingrays are almost always in an airplane instead of a helicopter (for what reason, I do not know), and they fly over and capture all of the cellular traffic from the area over which they are circling.

My measured and reasoned speculation is that they have captured an IMSI of either a phone known to be BL's, or that the IMSI matches up to a pre-paid phone that was only very recently activated, meaning the cellular provider has only seen that IMSI on their network since, say...early September, and that can be traced back as sold to him along his route home or possibly purchased in North Port.

Alright, enough of that. Time for some wild speculation. I think BL is still alive, I think people underestimate his survival skills, and I don't think he's in North Port or the Reserve. He sure has a predilection for hitchhiking, though, so would anyone be surprised if he hitched a ride with some random person and is gone?

MOO
Wow! Thanks for all that.
I hadn't known.
Great information.

There are three ways that phone location can be established.

1. GPS, which can be turned off. A phone can report its position even if the cell service is turned off via a wifi network. Can be extremely accurate, certainly less than 30' (it depends on how many satellites the phone can see... can be affected by tree cover, buildings etc.
2. Triangulation from cellphone tower pings, only works if the cellphone is turned on. Not very accurate. Probably using a combination of time-of-flight for the signal plus signal strength.
3. Using the ISP's knowledge of wifi network topology (ie it knows where certain networks are located, from gathering data from many many users). This can be extremely accurate but depends on the phone's wifi being turned on (not necessarily connected though).
22 Sep tweet from reporter ('news daddy') Brian Entin: "Verizon mobile truck just showed up to the reserve. Maybe this will help me get a live stream going from here."

I am interesting in learning more about what purpose this truck might serve when it comes to locating BL by any device he might have.

MOO, the only thing in the preserve is evidence and maybe a left-on (now dead) phone. Likely planted by BL himself. I feel BL would be forced to flee the preserve once he heard the incessant helicopters overhead, although I do not think that he'd plan to stay there long term if he were "going on the run."

I remain interested in learning whether he may have sailed out of Florida on a recreational cruise ship -- although I feel like that's a less likely scenario than BL laying low in a location that is more hospitable than the preserve, long-term. Remote hunting cabin in Appalachia, for example.

At this point, I'm interested in CCTV depicting the red truck w/topper leaving North Port for parts unknown on or about the evening of the 11th and returning on or about the early morning of the 13th.
I'm also interested in CCTV of Brian's route from the crime scene to North Port.
Gonna take some time.
Do you think BL can be charged with interstate transportation of a stolen vehicle and grand theft?
I believe we've established that it isn't stolen if no one reports it stolen?

Here's a good resource.

Gabby Petito & Brian Laundrie Utah Bodycam Footage Transcript Before Disappearance

I see the speeding, but I'm not seeing anything else you're seeing.
I've never heard of the REV transcript library, nor do I know who transcribed any of that. I'd invest some time in watching the cop cam. It's pretty long, but there is no substitute, IMO. The video, and the accompanying write up. See the discrepancies. Anyway, I'm outta here because we spent probably 15 threads on this, and I have nothing substantive to add.

Now, back to the swamp....I heard that even at golf courses in Florida it's known that alligators have nests underwater where they store the bodies of their victims or prey. There's no way to tell how many corpses are in those nests, nor is there a way to tell how many nests.

Intelligence by what means do we think? Assuming CNN’s source is correct in that Brian left his cellphone behind when he took off then it’s certainly not phone data driven. I can’t imagine it be car data since we already know it was there b/c of the note threatening to tow it after it had been left overnight.
Gabby's iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member