Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
1/3
North Port Police were asked about cost of search at the reserve. PIO Response:
"The question about costs have come up a lot today. We do not have that tallied up. We are not paying other agencies, it's mutual aid. From our personnel standpoint...
2/3
I would say we are working this case instead of other things. That has an impact of course. There will be some overtime mixed in there. Cost of fuel and vehicle maintenance too...
3/3
Almost every meal we've had at the PD has been made by family or donated. Every meal for those working out in the field has been donated by generous citizens and businesses. We have a special community."

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1441517724220497922?s=21

Brian Laundrie's parents are worried he may have hurt himself and are 'very concerned' about him, the family's lawyer said – Insider
<snipped & BBM>
The parents of Gabby Petito's fiancé Brian Laundrie are worried that he may have hurt himself
in some way as a manhunt for the missing 23-year-old continues, a lawyer for the man's family told Insider Friday.

Christopher and Roberta Laundrie are "very worried" about their son, who has been named a person of interest in the disappearance and death of 22-year-old Petito, the attorney for Brian Laundrie and his parents, Steven Bertolino, told Insider.

[...]

He left the home, where he also lived with Petito, without a cell phone or wallet and has "no known means of communication," Bertolino told Insider.

Too bad they couldn't have possibly known any way to do about 101 things differently so it didn't reach this point.

And a 100 lb girl slaps a guy doesn't usually get a 911.'
But guy doing that to a girl does.... My clue #1.
This must have caught a lot of attention and severe in nature.
GP couldn't articulate in detail what happened ...was the one almost arrested .. seems like both would be based on eyewitnesses. Both had minor marks.

Even if GP had expressed what had just happened in great detail.....I doubt LE would have change their decision. No Arrests . Separation. Didn't rise to be considered Criminal. I get it. Sadly.:(

Where do you see in the incident report that Gabby had "minor marks"? We have discussed this a few times - Brian had scratch marks, LE documented that. That was the whole problem. The "shmooshing" of her face hadn't left marks that were visible at the time of the spot (whether later bruises appeared, we don't know).

I think LE did the compassionate thing here, as they probably see couples in distress on the daily in Moab (so many tired travelers).

The incident report is really thorough, considering it's a small town. It gives us some ways to conjecture about what happened in Jackson and then in Spread Creek.

I’ve just spotted something on the body cam footage to help support evidence Brian was controlling her phone. The police officer that was talking to gabby comes over to Brian to ask him where her phone is. - If Gabby knew why would they need to ask Brian.

He then tells the officer that its in a spot whilst gesturing with his hand in a way that looks like he’s showing it’s tucked in somewhere. - what 22 year old doesn’t have their phone on them in a pocket or shoved into their bra.

When he gets her phone out of the car (an iPhone with FaceID) he UNLOCKS the phone with his face and gives it to the officer. - If Gabby had a way into her phone he would not need to unlock it for her! This is at 42 minutes in. He looks at the phone and swipes up.

Good catch! But was that really her phone? If you look at his pocket right before, he appears to have a phone in his right leg pocket too. Or what else is that? Looks like a big freakin' phone. IMO

Also he doesn't hold the phone up to his face and he just double presses it, which to me does not look like an unlock. Looks like the phone is unlocked and he's just turning it on?

If they had to share a phone on the trip for whatever reason, he might consider that partially his phone too. But then what is that device in his pocket.

I noticed in that spot that the female ranger had a totally different (and non-friendly) tone with BL than the two male cops had.

Cases like this make me wish there was something in place to warn police officers that individual(s) may require a closer look when they come into contact with them.

There are databases law enforcement uses that provide 'hits' when a person has an arrest warrant, etc. There should be some type of entry officers can make in these systems when they have contact with a person involved in any type of call that involved even a suspected domestic issue that's available for every LEO to view, along with whether their driver's license is valid, whether they're wanted. IMO it would, in turn, help officers immensely in situations where they'd otherwise be completely unaware another PD just had contact for a person for a similar issue. It would help identify patterns and people who may be in danger.

Granted, Brian and Gabby were both adults and neither wanted to press charges for anything, but it's just something that's been on my mind this past week.

Does anyone have any opinions on why LE/FBI has not given any updates whatsoever as to why they are so confident BL is in Carlton Reserve?

For argument’s sake on this, let’s assume the worst and operate as if BL killed GP. Could that not be seen as him being a danger to the public? I can’t recall a case where absolutely no follow up came from LE asking for information on whereabouts of a wanted individual.

There has got to be some massively significant reason why they are acting so sure about BL’s whereabouts, no?

With as long as he had before going missing, he could have cached supplies. If the police had found a water or food cache, that would be their incentive to keep searching. Or perhaps they saw him on the reserve cams. No clue.

No, but there are differential physical dangers involved.

statistically, women are far, far more likely to be hurt or killed by men than vice versa, and base rates are extremely important when determining probabilities. See, for example, https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/vio.2019.0005

I would love to read this article but don’t have $50 to spend on it lol! Could you please summarize the results?

https://www.wfla.com/news/sarasota-county/brian-laundrie-manhunt-search-picks-up-at-carlton-reserve-
after-fbi-issues-arrest-warrant-gabby-petitos-fiance/

It’s unclear what, if anything, Brian Laundrie's parents know. Criminal defense attorney Bjorn Brunvand, who is not associated with the case, says their silence doesn't necessarily mean they had any role to play in their son's disappearance or that they know anything about Gabby’s death.

"They may just be following legal advice."

If they had an inkling, that's not enough for them to have any type of duty to report it. If they knew a federal felony took place, I believe under the misprision of a felony statute, they may have a duty to report the crime," he noted.
Legal expert warns against rush to judgement of Brian Laundrie's parents

What I found concerning was when two of the officers were discussing who should be charged and how to proceed, one officer said "well as long as he doesn't admit to hitting her, we have to assume that she's the initial aggressor". I don't know if that officer realizes how often the original aggressor fails to admit that they started it or even that they assaulted at all. And in addition, how many times the victim will take the blame and omit that that the aggressor assaulted them. It's like a bullying situation, more often than not the kid being bullied won't say anything or will take the blame to appease the bully.
Yes, because thats all they had to go on. They were working off a call that said she was the aggressor. The other 911 call was a different dispatch and as far as I know, hasn't been confirmed to have ever been relayed on. These officers spoke to the man who reported GP as hitting him and climbing thru the window. They met with him multiple times to be sure. They treated BL like the accused for an hour until there was literally no way to say he did anything. The one officer that talked about his toxic ex-wife shouldn't have, but still, it was a moot point in the grand scheme. There was nothing they knew of at that time on BL, no account, no accusation, that would rise to saying he beat her. But she admitted to slapping him. In the end it's a learning lesson for them but I don't think that stop could have legally ended up any differently and saved her life.

Makes you want to ask why? Why flee?

There are answers to that in criminology and psychiatry, but we are not allowed to mental health here. However, we all know there's a flight or fight response, right? Well, it has to do with that. We also aren't to give personal anecdotes, but trust me, I know a particular person (for almost 50 years) who has really had to work on his tendency to flee when highly stressed.

Some people...flee...or avoid...or "distance"...or go down into autopilot. There are biological substrates to this. The "autopilot" can be seen on MRI, actually (if you're lucky enough to get a person willing to go inside one while in that state...it involves a sort of disconnect between parts of the brain that normally light up altogether in emergency situations - but not always, some of us sort of fall apart...one technical word is "decompensation"; I can provide search terms for scholar.google if you DM).

IOW, I think BL was IMO terrified and completely alone and out of his depth - he had been away from his parents on only two different occasions we know about.

First trip was a bit less planned (Summer 2020). This one was a working trip - where perhaps both of them were hoping to monetize their Van Life (I think it's clear that they were working on that - an added stressor). In theory, Van Life people either work gig or minimum wage economy when they need money (finding the right free places to camp - it's estimate there are over 1000 young people in free camping near Moab, waiting tables, working in grocery stores, McDonald's). Others do manage to make enough money off their youtube to fund their Van Life.

I’ve just spotted something on the body cam footage to help support evidence Brian was controlling her phone. The police officer that was talking to gabby comes over to Brian to ask him where her phone is. - If Gabby knew why would they need to ask Brian.

He then tells the officer that its in a spot whilst gesturing with his hand in a way that looks like he’s showing it’s tucked in somewhere. - what 22 year old doesn’t have their phone on them in a pocket or shoved into their bra.

When he gets her phone out of the car (an iPhone with FaceID) he UNLOCKS the phone with his face and gives it to the officer. - If Gabby had a way into her phone he would not need to unlock it for her! This is at 42 minutes in. He looks at the phone and swipes up.

My SO and I can unlock each others' phones with our faces - nearly everyone I know in a relationship who has an iPhone does it. Gabby is clearly controlling her own phone in several videos she makes while Brian is out hiking. Brian actually left her alone for about 5 days, during which time she could have broken up permanently with him, started driving her van back (slowly, if it was a challenge), and she certainly used her phone according to her father. She also had a hotel room that would have had a land line.

She has her phone next to her while making meals, while doing so many. things on the trip - Brian is no where to be seen in those videos.

I don't think it helps to treat all DV situations as so much alike - each situation is very different. If in fact, Gabby could not use her own phone, then why is she sitting in the back of the squad car using it while LE talks to Brian? Why does the Ranger tell her to go back to her conversation (I believe the ranger thinks Gabby is talking to her mother - but that's not confirmed).

IANAL but I wonder if a search warrant would be needed for the library computers. They are owned by the city, public property. Can a lawyer shed some light on this?
Also, libraries are governed by their own boards. City councils and county boards usually have no input. So a library is most likely to follow ALA guidelines and not give up information on their patrons use of materials.

However, if you are talking about allowing them to search the place, that's a different matter because it doesn't involve privacy issues. Also, if a cop wants to use a computer directly after someone else of interest has used that computer, there's nothing we can do about that either.

Does anyone have any opinions on why LE/FBI has not given any updates whatsoever as to why they are so confident BL is in Carlton Reserve?

For argument’s sake on this, let’s assume the worst and operate as if BL killed GP. Could that not be seen as him being a danger to the public? I can’t recall a case where absolutely no follow up came from LE asking for information on whereabouts of a wanted individual.

There has got to be some massively significant reason why they are acting so sure about BL’s whereabouts, no?
I think it has to do with a cell phone signal pinging in the area where they know there are no other humans. Search area was tighter today. This could be the other reason ALL the searchers leave at night.
Up until they talked a little about warrants and intelligence today, I thought they were just having a nice training exercise playing with their toys.
All just speculation and IMO MOO.

Judging by the parents actions or should I say inactions so far I think it's a pretty safe bet to say they will post his bail.

After this search for BL not so sure if bail will be available or just really, really high. It seems he's eluding LE more than taking a clear your head hike.

ETA: If alive.

I’m wondering if anyone asked her about how safe she felt. I know every time I go to the doctors office I get asked, “do you feel safe at home?”

I get asked all the time in NYC, and even though it, too, is self-reporting, my doctors all know I am unmarried and also regularly ask me the question about current sexual activity, so I think it’s now a policy originating from… somewhere.

(Again, I note that the default is to ask this even of presumably single adults living on their own, where no one else is ‘at home’.)

Where do you see in the incident report that Gabby had "minor marks"? We have discussed this a few times - Brian had scratch marks, LE documented that. That was the whole problem. The "shmooshing" of her face hadn't left marks that were visible at the time of the spot (whether later bruises appeared, we don't know).

I think LE did the compassionate thing here, as they probably see couples in distress on the daily in Moab (so many tired travelers).

The incident report is really thorough, considering it's a small town. It gives us some ways to conjecture about what happened in Jackson and then in Spread Creek.
But the incident report did not say how the male LE palled up with Brian and told him about his toxic ex wife. That is the part that I criticize them for and laughing when BL called her crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire