Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent work by NoSI.

Curious about the house at 5621 King Gulch Trail in Salida that Suzanne was looking at. This is a large family home valued at about 1 mil. I was wondering what Suzanne's intentions were with this house? Its too big for her and 1 daughter. It appears to me that maybe she intended for, first all four, then Barry and the girls to downsize, freeing up 500k+ which she could then have access to in a separation? I wonder what Barry's thoughts were about this house? He mentioned moving to Arizona, likely for a restart 2.0.

The Gulch Trail property is only 2300sq ft living space (minus lower level) yet a stately home with nice views. We really can't discount that SM was part of the 'appearances matter' club and would not likely downgrade her daughter's lifestyle either. According to JL, SM had no intentions of leaving her daughters that appeared to be happy in Colorado and I think SM saw this as her separate property. MOO

5621 King Gulch Trail, Salida, CO 81201 - MLS 3340405 - Coldwell Banker

The Gulch Trail property is only 2300sq ft living space (minus lower level) yet a stately home with nice views. We really can't discount that SM was part of the 'appearances matter' club and would not likely downgrade her daughter's lifestyle either. According to JL, SM had no intentions of leaving her daughters that appeared to be happy in Colorado and I think SM saw this as her separate property. MOO

5621 King Gulch Trail, Salida, CO 81201 - MLS 3340405 - Coldwell Banker
Not to be contrary...but both Zillow and Trulia show this property at 4464 sq (3 bdrms/3 baths) and listed at $1,000,000. So this was possibly a divided property? Maybe I am looking at a different address? I was simply trying to gauge Suzanne's motivations here...

Not to be contrary...but both Zillow and Trulia show this property at 4464 sq (3 bdrms/3 baths) and listed at $1,000,000. So this was possibly a divided property? Maybe I am looking at a different address? I was simply trying to gauge Suzanne's motivations here...
When this King Gulch property search was originally released, I looked it up and saw mostly lots for sale other than this address. And you are right about the built prices likely being in the three figure range.

Maybe she was thinking that the resell value would give her a nice profit at some point (likely, but not without risk)? It did seem like an expensive proposition from the standpoint of monthly bills for someone just getting back into the job market. Certainly, a very nice area to have a new house in though!

JMO

Blood Evidence?

Reading the article linked below, there was a mention of blood found on the garage apron on May 11 per the AA.

This is on page 8, see attached. It is called "suspect blood." Not sure what is meant by that. Has this been discussed here and I just missed it?

View attachment 314564

Barry Morphew released on bond; affidavit claims he fabricated stories surrounding wife’s disappearance
Bumping my own very early Saturday morning post.
@MassGuy
@10ofRods
Et al
Am I getting excited for nothing since we don't know the amount of blood or any other evidence they have re: DNA, etc.?

TIA

Yes @Scootie98 - structurally at 4464 sq ft. Take note my post was specific to the "living area" as drafted in the linked realtor reference (i.e., excludes the lower walk-out, partially finished area). Sorry if my post was not clear.

I can only interpret Suzanne's interest as one of selling off Puma Path and downsizing; with the ability to create a sizeable amount of cash. She didn't get that far...but since it appears that Suzanne was financially astute; I don't think she had intentions of being tied to yet a third property. Remember, the Indiana property had not yet been sold at that time.

I can only interpret Suzanne's interest as one of selling off Puma Path and downsizing; with the ability to create a sizeable amount of cash. She didn't get that far...but since it appears that Suzanne was financially astute; I don't think she had intentions of being tied to yet a third property. Remember, the Indiana property had not yet been sold at that time.
Actually, the IN property had sold when SM was looking at Gulch Trail and escrow for the pay-off occurred early June 2020 requiring BM to obtain emergency guardianship of SM to convey the property to the owners.

Personally, I long believed the forthcoming IN final installment motivated SM desire to have her own place to direct the monies before BM over-ruled and spent the money. MOO

Last edited:
She sure likes a certain "style".....their Indiana house didn't look like this from the outside, but did on the inside. Spending a million would "earn her back" the $500,000 when selling the Puma Path home for $1.5 million of more.

When this King Gulch property search was originally released, I looked it up and saw mostly lots for sale other than this address. And you are right about the built prices likely being in the three figure range.

Maybe she was thinking that the resell value would give her a nice profit at some point (likely, but not without risk)? It did seem like an expensive proposition from the standpoint of monthly bills for someone just getting back into the job market. Certainly, a very nice area to have a new house in though!

JMO
I don't know that assuming she wanted it for herself is a "safe" assumption. Quite possibly she wanted it for all of them, she would get "paid back" $500,000 since the "new" house she wanted to look at was cheaper than Puma Path and then she could move on. I don't know that we can draw some of the assumptions that are getting drawn.

I think BM loved his bobcat more than his wife so the idea that barefoot children (or men or women) were present at DSi climbing on his equipment while the blade was being replaced-- or later at his remote home on PP is almost comical. I suppose it's possible that BM let somebody borrow his bobcat on Sunday while he was in Broomfield relaxing in his HIE room but I doubt it. MOO

I don't think it left the PP house from the time he got home until the time the deputies logged the footprint.

It does create a slight wrinkle in the timeline. Barry didn't have time to unhitch the trailer and off-load the bobcat before he went on his chipmunk shooting spree.

(May 11, 2020 Search of Puma Path Residence) On May 11, 2020, pursuant to an authorized search warrant obtained by your affiant, while assisting with the search of the exterior of the residence your affiant located what appeared to be suspect blood on the apron of the garage near the east side of the three-car garage. Additionally, it was noted by your affiant and other investigators that there was a Bobcat Skid Steer parked in a parking area/driveway, west of the Morphew residence. Next to the Skid Steer (south) was a flat-bed trailer. The trailer was in its tilt position. The trailer bed had some loose gravel and dirt on it. The trailer did not have a jack on it and the tongue of the trailer was lying on the ground. The Skid Steer was parked to the left side near the trailer tongue. The items were positioned such that the Skid Steer bucket appeared to have been used to un-hitch the trailer from a vehicle, most likely Barry's truck, and set the trailer on the ground.
Your affiant examined the Skid Steer and noted that the cutting edge of the Skid Steer bucket had been recently replaced, so there was no wear on it. It was also noted, several larger bolts and nuts were lying in the Skid Steer bucket and on the front end of the trailer bed. 13
Adobe Acrobat

So when did he have time to off-load the bobcat and why are there nuts and bolts lying around? The bobcat is a conundrum. It's possible that Barry staged it, but again, when?

Bumping my own very early Saturday morning post.
@MassGuy
@10ofRods
Et al
Am I getting excited for nothing since we don't know the amount of blood or any other evidence they have re: DNA, etc.?

TIA
I don't remember if they eventually said it was not blood in the affidavit, but there's just no way it's relevant here.

If they had crucial DNA evidence or anything, it would have been presented/mentioned.

I don't remember if they eventually said it was not blood in the affidavit, but there's just no way it's relevant here.

If they had crucial DNA evidence or anything, it would have been presented/mentioned.
I tend to agree. Many ideas are being "revisited" but in my mind, if the prosecution had any of that as evidence it would have been used to bolster their preliminary. It's possible something could turn up either in late arriving information or newly discovered information between now and any potential trial, but I think what is is what it is from the AA and the preliminary.

That property could be a "lateral' move for Barry. Not up or down so to speak. It looks so similar to Puma path. Supposedly the Puma house was Barry's choice.

Maybe she was trying to get Barry settled into what he wanted for himself. We'll sell Puma for $1.6 or so and I will get my .6 back and you will still have a million dollar property on 8 acres.

Eta looks like it sold 5/28/2020 Sold $825,000 . They both could have been in good financial shape to move forward.

5621 King Gulch Trl, Salida, CO 81201 | Zillow

Last edited:
That property could be a "lateral' move for Barry. Not up or down so to speak. It looks so similar to Puma path. Supposedly the Puma house was Barry's choice.

Maybe she was trying to get Barry settled into what he wanted for himself. We'll sell Puma for $1.6 or so and I will get my .6 back and you will still have a million dollar property on 8 acres.

Eta looks like it sold 5/28/2020 Sold $825,000 . They both could have been in good financial shape to move forward.

5621 King Gulch Trl, Salida, CO 81201 | Zillow
Actually I believe Suzanne's sister revealed that she had chosen the Puma Path home.

I am seeing many here who have that same fear--that he will walk free.

I don't think so, for one main reason. There is one simple 'fact' that really paints him as a guilty man. Just the simplest concept---his wife was known to be at home just before Mother's Day. She was having communications with others on electronic devices, and was known to be alive and well.

Then, her husband arrives at their home, at the time she is communicating with others---and she suddenly STOPS communicating. And never ever does so again.

Where could she have gone that day? It was the middle of a pandemic. Her husband was home and he did not see anyone come and pick her up. According to him everything was just normal. But by the next morning, she vanished into thin air somehow. Didn't take her car or anything. >Didn't communicate with her daughters. >Didn't go in for her preventative cancer treatment?

I really think that simple series of questions make him look very guilty. She is home alive and well and is communicative---He arrives back home---and suddenly she goes radio silent. Forever.

I don't think the defense will have any reasonable explanations for that. JMO

ETA: Of course, adding in the ridiculous lies about her being on a morning bike ride and his odd behaviours during those key times, make it even more obvious what really happened. JMO

They will say BM came home, and according to him they had a great day and night, had steaks, talked etc. There would be no communications with her lover while her husband is home and same goes for any with her friend if they are having a serious conversation and a great time. As for her friend saying SM would never miss the online wedding the next day, her friend didn't even know that SM had a bf for almost 2 years. SM never told anyone. The friend doesn't know SM as much as she thinks she did.

They will say BM came home, and according to him they had a great day and night, had steaks, talked etc. There would be no communications with her lover while her husband is home and same goes for any with her friend if they are having a serious conversation and a great time. As for her friend saying SM would never miss the online wedding the next day, her friend didn't even know that SM had a bf for almost 2 years. SM never told anyone. The friend doesn't know SM as much as she thinks she did.
Agree, the person that probably knew her best is her husband unfortunately. Seems Suzanne was, as her sister said, good at keeping secrets. Really the only issue at hand is proving Suzanne is deceased and proving Barry killed her or for the defense proving that there isn't proof she is deceased and shedding doubt that her husband did it. Some things the prosecution has said didn't prove out. Alot of gossip has been debunked. Some things the prosecution has said they didn't look into. And some things are totally irrelevant and probably won't be introduced at trial. And that is where I sit...once again....waiting :)

I hate to say it but I think the prosecution may need to bring the girls to the stand to testify. It's already been admitted their parents fought a lot and weren't in a good place.
I believe they weren't in a good place, SM wanted a divorce, BM discovered the affair and didn't want to lose her or split the assets. Jealousy and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288