Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly, i dont understand all these posts thinking the officers could have done ANYTHING to stop what happened, these are two adults we are talking about, they are not children that you can make do something,if either of them wanted to leave the other one they could have that very night. Gabby had the van, she could have left that night if she wanted too. have yall ever tried to keep a young girl away from their boyfriend if they werent ready to be away? wasnt gonna happen no matter what they did, they certainly couldnt lock him up for life, <modsnip - opinion stated as fact>!!!

I agree.
GP had also spoke to her parents during that stop, said to LE 'it was the first time' for this type of behavior. I think as i've said it was a tough call...For me, As a female, and if i were there I know i would have found her crying and fragility concerning, I would have done something. . . But I wasn't there and hindsight is 20/20. Someone way back posted some study / journal article about issues like this (i think thread 34 or 35). . IMO there was a lot of discussion about what to do, and review of standards, and I started to think that LE had some degree of decision fatigue after an hour.

Things I don't understand still: *the phone thing-i'll probably never make sense of that, (because even now with him missing he left his 'phone' at home, * no speeding ticket and his failure to maintain control (he crossed the double yellow lines too), * Witness statements, I heard LE on the phone only once discussing ONE witness statement which aligned with BL's statement. So, I think it was like a game of telephone. 2 LE's talking to 2 people separately then discussing what each said (which can be open to bias or interpretation or even bad listening).
*IMO retrospectively, LE should have both spoke to each of them as a team. Then had discussion. But maybe that's not SOP.

So, i'm not a cop, I'm sitting as a monday morning quarterback and it changes nothing.

***I think that there are many things that are a mystery that we will never know

I noted that Gabby had spoken with her parents. From what I remember, the words were vague to if this already happened, was still going on, or was just in the didn't get done pile.

I know that when doing crisis work, having been told they had already contacted their parents would have been a sign of the couple having good supports. In my opinion, strangers had reason to alert the authorities and did. Whatever they saw was scary.

This couple was so young and fresh faced, even though having been in a toxic pattern for years! Deceptively simple.

I think BL may have originally gone for his swampy walk to try & come to terms with what happened & planned to return home, but I honestly think he’s killed himself. I’ve seen all the other comments here saying he’s not the type but I respectfully disagree. I hope I’m wrong, because Gabby’s family deserve answers.

I agree-you can’t know who would or would not commit suicide-Fotis Dulos appeared to hold himself far above everyone else, too-and yet he did it.

exactly, i dont understand all these posts thinking the officers could have done ANYTHING to stop what happened, these are two adults we are talking about, they are not children that you can make do something,if either of them wanted to leave the other one they could have that very night. Gabby had the van, she could have left that night if she wanted too. have yall ever tried to keep a young girl away from their boyfriend if they werent ready to be away? wasnt gonna happen no matter what they did, they certainly couldnt lock him up for life, <modsnip - opinion stated as fact>!!!

I agree.
GP had also spoke to her parents during that stop, said to LE 'it was the first time' for this type of behavior. I think as i've said it was a tough call...For me, As a female, and if i were there I know i would have found her crying and fragility concerning, I would have done something. . . But I wasn't there and hindsight is 20/20. Someone way back posted some study / journal article about issues like this (i think thread 34 or 35). . IMO there was a lot of discussion about what to do, and review of standards, and I started to think that LE had some degree of decision fatigue after an hour.

Things I don't understand still: *the phone thing-i'll probably never make sense of that, (because even now with him missing he left his 'phone' at home, * no speeding ticket and his failure to maintain control (he crossed the double yellow lines too), * Witness statements, I heard LE on the phone only once discussing ONE witness statement which aligned with BL's statement. So, I think it was like a game of telephone. 2 LE's talking to 2 people separately then discussing what each said (which can be open to bias or interpretation or even bad listening).
*IMO retrospectively, LE should have both spoke to each of them as a team. Then had discussion. But maybe that's not SOP.

So, i'm not a cop, I'm sitting as a monday morning quarterback and it changes nothing.

***I think that there are many things that are a mystery that we will never know

I noted that Gabby had spoken with her parents. From what I remember, the words were vague to if this already happened, was still going on, or was just in the didn't get done pile.

I know that when doing crisis work, having been told they had already contacted their parents would have been a sign of the couple having good supports. In my opinion, strangers had reason to alert the authorities and did. Whatever they saw was scary.

This couple was so young and fresh faced, even though having been in a toxic pattern for years! Deceptively simple.

I'll bet a few dozen donuts he's no longer bald (if he's alive). Best way for him to go unrecognized. His DNA would also be ample on any musical instruments he played or the pens he used for his pen and ink drawings...

Or a razor, electric or otherwise, to shave his head and trim his facial hair.

When I saw the item they carried out - I assumed it was a large bath sponge or car detailing sponge. But if you look inside the officers palm, there appears to be a pump- similar to a pump used on hand lotion bottles- so I have absolutely no idea lol

We could easily see the finger marks on the outside of her right arm when she was sitting in the van. I don't understand how that was not glaringly obvious to someone standing there speaking to her. IMO.
They didn't want to see it regardless of what the female officer said she said after Gabby was dead.

THIS IS TOTALLY UNSURPRISING TO ME, BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT THE 911 CALLER REPORTED!

ugh. I just wish this news had come out sooner.

To be fair, I think the first officer at the scene knew that when he arrived, but got hopelessly confused and muddled by BL's affiliative behavior and by the bearded LE officer when he showed up.

I got the feeling that beardy officer had more years in so he didn’t question him. :( Absolutely heart-breaking that this went down how it did

In the picture of the evidence the FBI obtained today if you enlarge it you can see that it's soft, the part not where the agent's hands are is partially open just enough to see it's some type of fabric. MOO

fbi-laundrie-113.jpg
It looks like a sneaker to me.

I don't even trust the parents to give the FBI something with BL's DNA on it. Brian has a shaven head, so no hairbrush. Anything he would have drunk out of would have been thrown out or washed days ago.

Toothbrush? Maybe he didn't take one with him as where would he clean his teeth?

bbm
Yep, that's my worry, but I'm hoping in they did that, that the FBI would jump all over them -- if they can prove it.

When I see it mentioned that it was wrong for the LE that pulled them over to act chummy with BL during the stop, it clearly shows a lack of understanding of interrogation and investigations. It is the best method to get him to show his hand, so to speak. Tell false stories of dealing with women, become relatable, let him relax and say "yeah, I did slap her, you get it."
But obviously, it wasn't the best method here, was it? The officers actually made a mistake. They didn't do it on purpose but, nevertheless, they made a poor judgement call. I don't think they need to be defended; I think they need to be better trained.

I am not experienced at dispatch recordings at all. I know someone on here said they were former dispatch the other night. If you are reading, please correct me.

I wanted to get a transcription of the entire dispatch recording on here. Well, we don't know if it is the entire call but it is what was released on the article today. Here is my transcription. There are a few things I am unsure of, the numbers at the end specifically.

Gabby Petito case: Dispatch recordings show Utah police were told male struck female

Male Dispatcher - 1053 Attempt to locate. Continuing attempt to locate time-lapse of about probably 40 sec. RP states a male hit a female. Domestic. He got into a white Ford transit van. Has a black ladder on the back, Florida plate of Quebec fox tango golf zero three. The van turned right onto main street from Moonflower Market and headed north onto Main Street. 1638.

Responding officer - (unintelligible maybe 228) I am at Moonflower.

Female voice - (dispatcher?) 1641

Responding officer - uh 228? , Do have a phone number for the RP, maybe just a landline, and a location where our victim is at.

Male Dispatcher -Uh, phone number is (redacted) names (redacted) I am not sure (break) that, but the female who got hit, they both, the male and the female, both got into the van and headed north.

Responding Officer - 58 229?

ETA - Adding a Youtube video of a transcription from Fox 13 Tampa

Last edited:
Or a razor, electric or otherwise, to shave his head and trim his facial hair.

Such hair can be used - but so far the tech is proprietary and rather expensive:

DNA from Rootless Hairs | Bode Technology

Easier to use skin cells or a hair with a root. But yes, it can be done if necessary.

The lotion bottle/pump is an interesting idea, as repeated use of a pump would leave DNA in the little nooks and crannies. Usually, a person has to open it and remove some kind of seal, then reclose it - there would be DNA from this. I wonder who chose this item.

Such hair can be used - but so far the tech is proprietary and rather expensive:

DNA from Rootless Hairs | Bode Technology

Easier to use skin cells or a hair with a root. But yes, it can be done if necessary.

The lotion bottle/pump is an interesting idea, as repeated use of a pump would leave DNA in the little nooks and crannies. Usually, a person has to open it and remove some kind of seal, then reclose it - there would be DNA from this. I wonder who chose this item.

Skin cells would definitely be on a razor IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998