GUILTY SD - Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg, involved in fatal car hit and run, Sioux Falls, Sept 2020 *plea *Impeached*

Blogger Cory notes that JR did not have his license with him when he was recently stopped for speeding:

Ravnsborg Didn’t Have License When Stopped for Speeding; State’s Attorney Considers Adding Careless Driving Charge

"Evidently South Dakota’s top law enforcement official forgot to put his driver’s license in his pocket when he went out that Sunday evening to get a light bulb and dispose of his recycling."

I wonder how the family is handling all of these disclosures. It frustrates me and I'm not even related to Boever.

Where I live I would most definitely get a ticket and fine for not having drivers licence on me. :( moo

I used to live in Virginia. I seem to recall that in Virginia, if you were not able to show your driver's license to the officer, at a minimum you would be required to appear in Court to show the actual license. It was a major inconvenience.

Blogger Cory notes that JR did not have his license with him when he was recently stopped for speeding:

Ravnsborg Didn’t Have License When Stopped for Speeding; State’s Attorney Considers Adding Careless Driving Charge

"Evidently South Dakota’s top law enforcement official forgot to put his driver’s license in his pocket when he went out that Sunday evening to get a light bulb and dispose of his recycling."

I wonder how the family is handling all of these disclosures. It frustrates me and I'm not even related to Boever.

I am just hoping that the civil lawsuit is a slam dunk.

South Dakota Attorney General pleads guilty in speeding citation

"The citation for speeding was out of Hughes County on Aug. 22, according to court documents. With his recent citation, Ravnsborg has accumulated seven speeding tickets throughout South Dakota in seven years. Body cam footage from Ravnsborg's citation was also recently released to the public, detailing the incident in a rare moment of police transparency for the public to see.

The plea was handled by a power of attorney. Court documents show Ravnsborg paid $177.50 for the citation He was driving at 57 mph in a 35 mph zone."

"The citation for speeding was out of Hughes County on Aug. 22, according to court documents. With his recent citation, Ravnsborg has accumulated seven speeding tickets throughout South Dakota in seven years. Body cam footage from Ravnsborg's citation was also recently released to the public, detailing the incident in a rare moment of police transparency for the public to see.

The plea was handled by a power of attorney. Court documents show Ravnsborg paid $177.50 for the citation He was driving at 57 mph in a 35 mph zone."

Ravnsborg's guilty plea came a day after South Dakota Department of Public Safety Secretary Craig Price sent a letter to the South Dakota House of Representatives, saying the first-term attorney general shouldn't have avoided more serious charges in an incident in which Ravnsborg struck and killed a Hyde County man with his vehicle in September 2020.

South Dakota leaders call for special session to impeach AG Ravnsborg

"A bipartisan group of leadership members in the South Dakota House of Representatives are calling for a special legislative session to consider whether to pursue impeachment of the state's attorney general.

Signing onto the call for a special session, which requires two-thirds of the Legislature's members agree to, was House Minority Leader Jamie Smith, D-Sioux Falls, and House Speaker Spencer Gosch, who received materials related to the investigation into the crash last week from the Department of Public Safety.

Asked if the committee would have access to the investigation materials that are right now in his possession, Gosch said, "I will not be the only one with access to that."

BBM

From Our Favorite Blogger:

House Majority Leader Peterson Wants to Consider Impeaching Ravnsborg November 9

"Last week Speaker Spencer Gosch (R-23/Glenham) got the hard drive with the full investigation file on Jason Ravnsborg’s killing of Joseph Boever and said it could take months for him to get through all those documents and decide whether to impeach the Attorney General.

Today, Speaker Gosch clarified—it could take two months, at which time, November 9, House Majority Leader Kent Peterson (R-19/Salem) is calling for a Special Session...

If Peterson, Gosch, and their associates are planning to consider impeachment in November, that’s all the more reason for Speaker Gosch and other legislators who have received the Ravnsborg investigation file to release that file to the public now, so the public may review the same information legislators have and weigh whether they want their legislators to revoke the public’s 2018 vote and remove their elected Attorney General from office."

BBM

From Our Favorite Blogger:

House Majority Leader Peterson Wants to Consider Impeaching Ravnsborg November 9

"Last week Speaker Spencer Gosch (R-23/Glenham) got the hard drive with the full investigation file on Jason Ravnsborg’s killing of Joseph Boever and said it could take months for him to get through all those documents and decide whether to impeach the Attorney General.

Today, Speaker Gosch clarified—it could take two months, at which time, November 9, House Majority Leader Kent Peterson (R-19/Salem) is calling for a Special Session...

If Peterson, Gosch, and their associates are planning to consider impeachment in November, that’s all the more reason for Speaker Gosch and other legislators who have received the Ravnsborg investigation file to release that file to the public now, so the public may review the same information legislators have and weigh whether they want their legislators to revoke the public’s 2018 vote and remove their elected Attorney General from office."

BBM

JMO, this sounds like some folks going through the motions in order to get some good publicity. It doesn't seem likely they will follow through with anything.

LRC Withholding Ravnsborg File from Public

"Director [of the LRC] Holwegner ignores the point that public interest in reviewing the documents that legislators may use to support removing an elected Attorney General from office overrides the state’s interest in keeping such documents secret. He also fails to note that the state’s interest in keeping Ravnsborg’s criminal investigation files secret ended when the state ended its prosecution of Ravnsborg and completed due process with Ravnsborg’s no-contest plea and Judge John Brown’s sentencing. Holwegner apparently considers such legal questions above his pay grade and more suited to the courts."

It looks like Cory H. is willing to sue to get the file released. Go, Cory, go!

I wonder if the family has access to the files???

LRC Withholding Ravnsborg File from Public

"Director [of the LRC] Holwegner ignores the point that public interest in reviewing the documents that legislators may use to support removing an elected Attorney General from office overrides the state’s interest in keeping such documents secret. He also fails to note that the state’s interest in keeping Ravnsborg’s criminal investigation files secret ended when the state ended its prosecution of Ravnsborg and completed due process with Ravnsborg’s no-contest plea and Judge John Brown’s sentencing. Holwegner apparently considers such legal questions above his pay grade and more suited to the courts."

It looks like Cory H. is willing to sue to get the file released. Go, Cory, go!

I wonder if the family has access to the files???

I expect the family's attorney(s) in the civil suit will request those -- and make a righteous big stink if the files are not turned over to them.

And, withholding those files should fuel the impeachment process, IMHO. If there is nothing to hide, why is someone hiding?

jmho ymmv lrr

Doesn't anyone do the right thing any more?

1. It shouldn't take "months" to go through documents. If it does, this legislator is in the wrong job.
2. What more evidence do they need?
3. A simple FOIA request should release the documents, after all, if there is nothing to hide, why not put it all out there?

At the very least, the beginning of the investigation should start with, why does this guy still have a driver's license? Speeding, careless driving, a history of documented incidents....

"Causing the death of someone in a vehicle accident"

South Dakota Revoked & Suspended Licenses | SD DPS

Camera footage from the "recyclables run" on Mon., Aug. 23, 2021, at 01:50:54, according to the date/time stamp. Stopped for doing 57 in a 35 zone. No biggie. Didn't have his driver's license with him either. Again, no biggie. Just a ticket for $177.50 (chump change). Even gave him a pre-addressed envelope to mail in his payment!

I apologize Nells. You had already posted the same, just from a different source!

Hey Alexwood,

No harm, no foul...

Everyday I check the news to see if there has been one South Dakota state politician willing to do the right thing and send the file to a reporter or blogger.

Anything that keeps this in the public eye is ok by me.

It's curious to me that the one-year anniversary of the accident passed with little notice by the SD media... hmmm....

Last edited:
Jackley runs again for familiar public-service job, where less is more

"Ravnsborg’s political future is cloudy, and perhaps non-existent, following his no-contest pleas on two misdemeanor charges in connection with a fatal car-pedestrian accident late on the evening of Sept. 12, 2020, on Highway 14 just west of Highmore. Ravnsborg apparently was distracted when he allowed his Ford Taurus to drift out of the westbound lane and onto the shoulder, where 55-year-old Joe Boever was walking with a flashlight that investigators said was turned on."

BBM

Ummm... "allowed"????

from Cory H.: SD Republicans Still Willing to Stand on Stage with Killer Ravnsborg

"In the unmitigated gall department, South Dakota Republican candidates for statewide office are still willing to appear on flyers and on fundraising stages with killer Jason Ravnsborg...

"Never mind Jason’s arrogance in thinking he still has any business on Republicans flyers and stages. He has demonstrated that he is committed to the total arrogance of SDGOP unaccountability, to the idea that he can recklessly break the law, kill a man on the shoulder of (or, as Jason contends, in the middle of) Highway 14, and still win an election because he eats every rubber chicken or stringy rib offered and keeps an R in front of his name. Jason is a special and incorrigible case, an incompetent clinging to power by sheer cronyism and disregard for decency. Not every South Dakota Republican can be that vile and/or clueless… can they?"

On a different note: I still can't believe the one-year anniversary of the accident happened with no retrospective or commentary from media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...788a04-1ee2-11ec-a8d9-0827a2a4b915_story.html

"PIERRE, S.D. — The South Dakota Legislature will consider whether to try to impeach Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg for a car crash last year that killed a pedestrian, a House leader said.

Republican Speaker Spencer Gosch said Saturday that there is enough support in the state House to discuss impeachment. The state Senate had already gathered enough signatures to do so.

The impeachment discussions will take place when lawmakers are in Pierre for a special session that starts Nov. 9 to address the redrawing of the state’s 10-year electoral maps.

The move does not necessarily mean Ravnsborg, a Republican, will face impeachment proceedings, Gosch said. Once in session, lawmakers will have to decide on whether to consider a separate resolution to form a select committee to review evidence from the Sept. 12, 2020, crash, the Argus Leader reported."

Nothing new, just that the state legislature will meet to "consider" whether or not to impeach.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back