MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

Question: If she fell into the water, what is the likelihood of her body being found now, all this time later?

Good question. Currents are very strange in that area. Sometimes people who have gone into the water near there come back as just a single bone, which then, it takes luck for someone to notice or find.

I heard a stat quoted on another thread that a body disarticulates completely after ~1 year in the water. I'm guessing it would happen faster if the water was warmer/there was a lot of bug/animal predators. Sadly, if any bit of Abbie is found at this point, I agree with @Yemelyan that'll it be a single bone.

Question: If she fell into the water, what is the likelihood of her body being found now, all this time later?

Her body? Almost impossible. Perhaps a bone, or piece of clothing. Even that is a stretch, given the likelihood that most people would probably not call it in if they found it. If she's been in the water for any extended period of time, I'd assume that this case will never see another update, unfortunately.

Her body? Almost impossible. Perhaps a bone, or piece of clothing. Even that is a stretch, given the likelihood that most people would probably not call it in if they found it. If she's been in the water for any extended period of time, I'd assume that this case will never see another update, unfortunately.

So sad.

Praying for a miracle.

I think about her too. As far as I know, most locals think she slipped on the wet granite and succumbed in the water.

I frequently walk a local beach, and slipped on some rocks while tidepooling last spring. Fell backwards and landed on the rocks. The tide was coming in and I had a hard time getting up (weird position and frankly, panicking). The thought did cross my mind that noone knew where I was and there wasn't anyone nearby to see or hear me. Scary.

Eight years of Dateline's Missing in America: 169 still missing

abbie_flynn_cropped.jpg

Abbie Flynn was preparing to host a Super Bowl party at her home in Gloucester, Massachusetts on Sunday, February 22, 2020. But when guests arrived, their host was nowhere to be found. The 59-year-old was last heard from earlier that day, when she had a phone conversation with her son who was away at college. She had told him she might go for a walk in the area of Farrington Avenue before her guests were supposed to arrive for the party. She never returned. Authorities conducted an extensive search of the area with the assistance of the Gloucester Fire Department, U.S. Coast Guard Station Gloucester, Mass State Police, Mass Environmental Police, Gloucester Harbor Master, Rockport Harbor Master and the North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council. The search covered many paths and wooded areas where Abbie might have walked, along with a search of the coastline. Gloucester Police Chief Edward Conley said her case is still open. Abbie is described as being 5’5” tall, approximately 200 lbs, with brown hair. She was possibly wearing a navy blue L.L. Bean puffer jacket, L.L. Bean boots, blue jeans and a flannel shirt. If anyone has any information on Abbie’s whereabouts, please call the Gloucester Police Department at 978-283-1212.

If you don't want to read this entire post we are having a fundraiser for our volunteer mods. Please use this link to donate paypal.me/forthemods )

Words cannot adequately express how much the moderators mean to Websleuths and to me personally.

The amount of hard work they do behind the scenes would truly shock you.
The mods volunteer their time to make sure Websleuths standards are upheld so Websleuths remains the most respected discussion forum on the web.

It is time for our yearly fundraiser for the wonderful people known as the mods who donate so much of their lives to Websleuths.

Please know that you are under no obligation to make a donation.
We ask that only those who can truly afford to donate do so.

We offer one way to make donations and that is through PayPal. Here is the link. Even a dollar will make a difference.

Pay Websleuths.com using PayPal.Me
When the fundraiser is over (two weeks from now) SillyBilly and I will distribute the money to the mods.

If you would like to leave a comment of support for the mods please do so on this thread.

If I could yell this from the mountain tops to the world I would. From my heart and soul thank you so very much to the mods who make such a difference on Websleuths. Thank you very much.

Much Love,
Tricia

ADMIN NOTE:

Hi everyone,

Tricia is wanting to know if we have members posting in this thread who actually live in Massachusetts?

If so, could you please contact me asap and I'll let her know.

Thanks so much :)

Thank you keek !!

I will pass that on to Tricia and she may be in touch.

So yesterday was the two year anniversary date of Abbie having gone missing. I googled quickly and did not come up with any articles. Abbie remains on my mind. I still feel there was something odd about her disappearance. I have no reason to buy a story of self harm or a tale of her slipping in to the ocean inadvertently as reasons for her missing. Sad that no one seems to be advocating for her.

So yesterday was the two year anniversary date of Abbie having gone missing. I googled quickly and did not come up with any articles. Abbie remains on my mind. I still feel there was something odd about her disappearance. I have no reason to buy a story of self harm or a tale of her slipping in to the ocean inadvertently as reasons for her missing. Sad that no one seems to be advocating for her.
I walked the shoreline near her house a few weeks after her disappearance and came away feeling like she accidentally went in the water. The ocean there was not calm. I also found it odd that LE conducted a thorough search of the water within a few hours of her disappearance IIRC - it was one of the quickest responses I've seen.

I walked the shoreline near her house a few weeks after her disappearance and came away feeling like she accidentally went in the water. The ocean there was not calm. I also found it odd that LE conducted a thorough search of the water within a few hours of her disappearance IIRC - it was one of the quickest responses I've seen.

IIRC, the reason the search happened so quickly was that the Coast Guard was in the area for training or something to that effect so they were already closeby so it was easy for them to mobilize. She went missing around 4pm and her guests arrived approx 6 pm - and shortly after called LE. .
I also was in the area a few weeks after she went missing. I don't spend much time up there in the winter, but I do spend time there in the summer. I was struck by lack of residents out and about on a normal weekday in the early afternoon, on a fairly nice February day. I assumed a lot of houses were second homes/ or if primary residences, that their occupants were off to warmer climes for the winter.
What I did see were a lot of workmen/ and workmen type trucks and vans at the houses - lots exterior and interior construction /maintenance happening. I imagine the interior construction was happening on Sundays too.
From memory, Abbie's house was set back from the road with a circular driveway with no visible house across the street. On one side of the house was a parish/church that looked closed up on my visit, and on the other side was a neighbors house that was situated to the front of the property with what seemed like no real sight lines to her house.
If someone stopped at her house or stopped her on her walk asking for directions - she was an easy victim. A quick crime of opportunity. Since she was said to be an avid walker in the area, she may even have recognized an individual and gotten close to their van to chat. I could go on and on. We heard the standard refrain that there was no danger to the public etc.
Abbie was a 60 yr old woman in a very safe and wealthy area - so a low risk victim in a low risk area.
I know their were k9 units brought in for the search. Does anyone remember where the trail went out of Abbie's house? Were they able to pick up Abbie's scent? I think that is the piece I am missing. If she did walk herself out to the ocean - did the k9's pick that up?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back