Steven Avery's initial story to police was that he never spoke to Teresa Halbach

scipio_usmc

Reaction score
Supporters of Steven Avery consistently ignore his lies, changing accounts and how he initially tried to hide his connection to the appointment.

In the past Steven Avery did one of 3 things when arranging appointments. He either:

1) Called Auto Trader and provided his own name, address and telephone number

2) Called Auto Trader providing the name and address of a relative but saying he was handling the transaction for them thus providing his phone number for the photographer to call to arrange the appointment because he would be providing the ad and payment

3) In the appointment prior to the 10/31 appointment he cut out Auto Trader entirely and called Teresa Halbach directly to schedule the appointment.

This time Steven Avery did none of the above. He provided the name B Janda, provided his sisters address and her unmanned phone number as well. As a result he didn't receive the call confirming they could do the appointment that day. He had to call back again claiming to be B Janda in order to find out if Halbach could make it that day.

Since Steven Avery hid his connection to the Auto Trader appointment, Auto Trader didn't know the appointment was with him and told police it had been with someone named B Janda at the address used by Barb and her children. That address was 12930A while the address of the business was 12930.

The Calumet County Sheriff's Office (CASO) inadvertently provided Manitowoc with the address of the Auto Salvage Yard instead of Barb's address by omitting the A. Specifically they asked if he was familiar with 12930 Avery Rd and Colborn recognized it as the address of Avery Salvage.

He knew Chuck and decided to go speak to him about it.

colbornstatement.png

Steven Avery intercepted Colborn in order to find out what police knew and to control the narrative. He tried to pretend he was surprised that something happened to Halbach. He stated his sister was selling her van and he saw her show up and drive away but had not spoken to her. Many people misrepresent the police were after Steven from the outset. The reality is that they did not go to Avery Salvage looking for Steven and the first contact with Steven was because he approached police.

It was not the only Manitowoc location checked that day either. Detective Remiker's testimony is instructive.

Q Let me ask you, uh, Detective Remiker, on the 3rd of November, 2005, uh, whether you were informed of a Calumet County investigation that was ongoing?

A Yes, I was.

Q And how were you informed of that investigation?

A I was off that day. Um, I believe I got paged, um, probably by my supervisor, Lieu -- Lieutenant Lenk. I responded to the Sheriff's Department and, uh, met with, uh, some of our investigators, and Investigator Dedering was at our Department, and he provided us with -- with that information about, uh, the missing female.

Q From what agency was, uh, Detective Dedering?

A Uh, Calumet County Sheriff's Department.

Q Let me ask you, that first day, the 3rd of November, was your Department asked to provide any insist -- any assistance in that investigation?

A Yes.

Q And who was the person who had gone missing?

A Uh, Teresa Halbach.

Q What kind of investigation were you asked to assist with?

A Um, we had received information that, uh, Teresa was missing, and that there were some individuals that they believed, uh, Teresa may have had contact with, uh, and both of those, uh, locations were in Manitowoc County.

Q And who were those individuals?

A I believe one of the residents was on County Trunk 18 Highway B, as in boy, um, and that was, uh, George Zipperer residence, and the other residence or location was the Avery property.

Q Were you personally involved that evening, that is the 3rd of November, in visiting either one of those residences?

A Yes. I went to the, uh, George Zipperer residence.

Q Do you know if anybody had gone to the Avery residence?

A I believe Sergeant Colborn had gone to that location. I was -- I was advised of that.

Q So it was somebody other than you?

A Yes.

Q But you were involved in visiting the Zipperer residence?

A Yes.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Jury-Trial-Transcript-Day-8-2007Feb21.pdf

Subsequent to this CASO developed new information. Auto Trader had told CASO about past appointments with Steven Avery and how Halbach was put off by him. In part based on this CASO asked them to check the locations again and asked them to speak to Steven Avery this time to try to get more information out of him and see if he would agree to a consent search to search his trailer for her in case she was being held against her will. He agreed and they searched his trailer but not his garage. They saw the gun he was not allowed to possess yet did nothing about it and didn't search his garage thus claims they were out to get him fall flat.

This time Steven was with his mother. He figured the subterfuge would not hold up because his family would tell them the appointment was with him so he changed his account this time to his sister asking him to list the vehicle for her and admitted speaking to her. Of course it was a lie that Barb asked him to do so she didn't want to sell the van she wanted to give it to her children. Against her wishes, Steven told Auto Trader it was being listed simply to have a reason to get Halbach to come there.

barbvan.png

Here is a continuation of Remiker's testimony look at how much Steven's account changed from the day before:

Q The next day, then, did you, together with Calumet County, decide to do some further investigating?

A Yes. We received a call from Calumet County, uh, Sheriff's Department, Investigator Wiegert, and he indicated that he wanted us to, uh, go make contact with, uh, Steve to see if we could obtain any more information.

Q By Steve, you mean the defendant, Steven Avery?

A Yes.

Q Did you do that on the 4th?

A Friday, the 4th, I did. Correct.

Q And could you describe that contact for us, please?

A Uh, Lieutenant Lenk advised me that, uh, Investigator Wiegert had contacted us and wanted us to go make contact with Steve, um, and -- and see if we could get consent to search his residence. See if Teresa was there. Um, Lieutenant Lenk drove the vehicle. Uh, I was in the passenger seat. We drove out to the Avery property. We turned onto Avery Road. We had no idea where we were going. Uh, we had no idea where Steve's residence was. Uh, we kind of got to a fork in the road and we decided to turn right. Uh, we went down that roadway and we came to, um, a red trailer house, and the numbers on the house were 12932, and that was -- that was the address of Steven Avery, so we figured that was the residence.

Q All right. Did you exit your vehicle at that time?

A Yes.

Q Eventually, Detective Remiker, you made contact with Mr. Avery and his mother? Is that what --

A Yes.

Q Describe that, uh, encounter briefly, please?

A Uh, tried at Steve's residence. No answer. Then I went over to the next residence. Um, found out later that's Barb Janda's residence. I tried contact there. Nobody answered. We got back into our car. We started driving down the driveway, and there was a golf cart that started driving down the road towards us, and we stopped our vehicle. Um, I got out, Lieutenant Lenk got out, and, um, Steven was seated in the passenger side of the golf cart, and I think Delores was driving the golf cart, and we -- we stopped and identified ourselves to them, and we then began a conversation.

Q Did you ask for, uh, something called consent or permission to enter Mr. Avery's residence, itself?

A Yes.

Q And did Mr. Avery give you that consent?

A Yes.

Q Um, why don't -- Excuse me. Why don't you tell the jury what you did then?

A After we received consent?

Q Yes. A Um, uh, Steve, uh, told us that we could go into his residence to take a look. I said, I want you to come with me. I don't want to just go in there alone. So, um, he followed us. Uh, we drove our vehicle up to the residence, and I think Steve and Delores drove up in the golf cart, and we went to the door, and Steve opened the door and allowed us in. Uh, Lieutenant Lenk stayed kind of in the living room area with Steve. I -- I don't recall if Delores was in the residence or not. And I went to the back bedroom. I was -- obviously, at that point, I'm looking for Teresa. I'm looking for a body. I'm looking for a human being. And I walked around, uh, the residence to see if I could find a person.

Q Did you find any persons in that residence?

A No.

Q About how long did this entire encounter take, if you recall?

A We arrived on the property, uh, my notes indicate, 1020 hours, and we were completed with the consent search, being out of the residence, done searching, at 10:35. I was in his residence for five minutes.

Q All right. At that time, Detective Remiker, did you have any reason to believe that, uh, Mr. Avery had been involved in this missing persons case? In other words, other than information that you'd received from Calumet County?

A No. He -- he said he had contact with her. He said that, um, she had been in his residence where he paid her for the services, and said, hi, how are you doing? Some small talk. Other than that, I had no reason to believe that Steve had anything to do with anything.

Q Did you and Lieutenant Lenk talk about that very thing?

A Yes.

Q What did -- what did you two talk about?

A I think my comments were, I think Calumet County is barking up the wrong tree. I don't remember my exact words. Um, I -- I just -- at that time I didn't have any reason to believe that Steve had anything to do with it.

Q Did Lieutenant Lenk make any comments to you about, well, we've got to make sure that Steve's involved, or that he did it, or anything like that? A I think we both were in agreement at the time that Steve had nothing to do with it. That was just our feeling.

--------

Thus far from being out to get Steven they missed a chance to confront him on his change in account from having no contact with her to her being paid inside his trailer.

Of course after the vehicle was found his account changed again and he claimed she was not in his trailer but rather that he paid her at her vehicle and had his arms inside her vehicle creating an innocent excuse for his DNA and prints to be found on the doors and inside the doors.

stevenaverynovember5interview.png

Last edited:
Where did you get the information that the appointment was under B Janda? Also, even if he did use a hidden identity, Teresa had taken many pictures for him and she would have known that she was going to Avery Salvage before she got there. It should be noted that she was at that property for pictures for Steven 3 times that month without incident. Avery's prints were not found outside or inside the car, Kratz speculated during the trial that he was wearing gloves. But if he had gloves, how did the blood come from the cut on his hand? There's also no cross-contamination of his blood and hers, so he killed her, put her in the car (without getting any of his blood in the back), then got in the front and with gloves on bled all over the front of the car but didn't get any of Teresa's blood in the front. The prints found on her vehicle were listed as unidentified meaning not belonging to Teresa, Steven, or police (since all their prints are recorded). Why would he not just crush the car? Why move it to the property line covered in sticks? How do you explain the Colburn call to dispatch and the independent witness who saw the rav4 on Nov. 3? How do you explain no one seeing the rav4 while he was killing her? He moved the car then raped and murdered her, then drove the car back to put her in the car, to then bring her to his backyard to the "primary burn location"?

There were also several different teams of investigative officers on their property that day, and subsequent days.. then, all of a sudden they find Ms. Halbach’s keys to her vehicle in Mr. Avery’s apartment?

Where did you get the information that the appointment was under B Janda? Also, even if he did use a hidden identity, Teresa had taken many pictures for him and she would have known that she was going to Avery Salvage before she got there. It should be noted that she was at that property for pictures for Steven 3 times that month without incident. Avery's prints were not found outside or inside the car, Kratz speculated during the trial that he was wearing gloves. But if he had gloves, how did the blood come from the cut on his hand? There's also no cross-contamination of his blood and hers, so he killed her, put her in the car (without getting any of his blood in the back), then got in the front and with gloves on bled all over the front of the car but didn't get any of Teresa's blood in the front. The prints found on her vehicle were listed as unidentified meaning not belonging to Teresa, Steven, or police (since all their prints are recorded). Why would he not just crush the car? Why move it to the property line covered in sticks? How do you explain the Colburn call to dispatch and the independent witness who saw the rav4 on Nov. 3? How do you explain no one seeing the rav4 while he was killing her? He moved the car then raped and murdered her, then drove the car back to put her in the car, to then bring her to his backyard to the "primary burn location"?
This case is a travesty! First, he's put in prison for a rape he didn't commit. Then he's sentenced for a murder he didn't commit. It's such an obvious frame up <modsnip> MOO

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back