CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
And would it be strange that all 4 (inc. their dog) passed away from it in the same timeframe? The baby wasn't walking, but was still subjected to the heat. I heard of this case a few weeks ago and while following the Gabby Petito case, found the thread for this family here. It's just awful, and so weird. I wouldn't think 2 adults would succomb to heat stroke at the same time and be found near each other. One may be stronger, more hydrated, perhaps gone off to get help, etc.

it is very strange and evidently the investigation continues. Iirc, Sheriff B said his detectives continue to conduct interview. Idk what use multiple interviews would be in heat related deaths. Moo

I’d say other than his role as “coroner” he’s pretty well out of this investigation. He has a very small department, they relocate rattle snakes, monitor traffic, rescue cats and stuff.
Past articles mention the LE agencies involved in the investigation. Coroner is an elected position, he has no medical training that I can find. MOO

In his last video he did give updates about the investigation. If you go back through articles posted here, you’ll find that he is the primary source of official information about this case. He doesn’t just ‘rescue cats and stuff’.

If you search this thread you’ll find that a member transcribed relevant parts of his last video, and the video itself was posted.

[
In his last video he did give updates about the investigation. If you go back through articles posted here, you’ll find that he is the primary source of official information about this case. He doesn’t just ‘rescue cats and stuff’.

If you search this thread you’ll find that a member transcribed relevant parts of his last video, and the video itself was posted.

yes, he’s the spokesperson and has said the CA DOJ/FBI joined the investigation, which is a good thing.

The SO gets a variety of calls.
PRESS REPORT 09-27-2021 | Mariposa County, CA - Official Website

it is very strange and evidently the investigation continues. Iirc, Sheriff B said his detectives continue to conduct interview. Idk what use multiple interviews would be in heat related deaths. Moo

Speaking of interviews, this may have been addressed in previous posts, do you know how Rosanna (Anna) Heaslett, who was quoted in news articles and also appeared to supply some of the family photos of Gerrish-Chung in those news articles, is connected to the family? Some news articles identify her as the family friend who reported them missing, some identify/or at least imply she was the nanny who reported them missing. NOT speculating or suggesting anything negative At All about this individual, just curious how she is connected to Gerrish-Chung. MOO.

Last edited:
Would heatstroke be a “natural” cause (does anyone know)? Agreed that LE will sometimes disclose “natural causes,” but I don’t know exactly what that encompasses or if it is just a deliberately vague way of disclosing that someone was not murdered.

One example in MSM (bbm):

“A 13-year-old Silver Spring youth who collapsed last month during a football practice at St. John's College High School died as a result of heat stroke, the D.C. medical examiner's office said yesterday.

"It was an accidental death as a result of the exercise in a hot environment," said Randy Moshos, director of forensic investigations for the medical examiner's office.

Daniel Bell, an incoming freshman at the Northwest Washington private school, suffered a seizure on Aug. 18 and was taken to Children's Medical Center, where he died seven days later. The outdoor temperature was 92 degrees at the time Bell collapsed. The combination of heat and exertion caused a spike in his body temperature that damaged his vital organs and cardiovascular system, said Jonathan L. Arden, the chief medical examiner.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...by-heat/a134ded8-ee9b-4df6-b189-885c2524947f/

My *guess* is that if the G-C family died due to heat-related issues while hiking, that this may also be ruled an accident.

Last edited:
Speaking of interviews, this may have been addressed in previous posts, do you know how Rosanna (Anna) Heaslett, who was quoted in news articles and also appeared to supply some of the family photos of Gerrish-Chung in those news articles, is connected to the family? Some news articles identify her as the family friend who reported them missing, some identify/or at least imply she was the nanny who reported them missing. NOT speculating or suggesting anything negative At All about this individual, just curious how she is connected to Gerrish-Chung. MOO.
According to her FB profile she ‘runs a cleaning group’ and is currently advertising for work on various social media groups on FB because of ‘recent horrible events’. (Quoted from her FB page.) I assume she must have been responsible for cleaning the couple’s properties in Mariposa. MOO

This is why I think they are way beyond environmental toxins:

Pathologists, toxicologists and chemists work together during this process, which can involve several rounds of tests. The first tests are basic screens for drugs in the blood and urine, typically using an immunoassay. According to information provided by the CAP, this test utilizes specific antibodies that detect several classes of drugs such as opiates, amphetamines, marijuana, alcohol and barbiturates. If a drug is detected in the first test, scientists confirm the results by running more tests, which can take several more days and might have to be repeated to ensure accuracy.

A second and more complex test has to be performed if the presence of a drug is confirmed by the first round of tests. The CAP says this test may involve measurements of mass and other characteristics to detect chemicals in substances. This process can take several more days, depending on the complexity of the test and type of drug.

Toxicology Tests and Autopsies - Elite Learning

Much more at link & it’s important to remember that delays more likely mean some type of “toxin” was found and verified by a second lab. Then, the challenging aspect comes, determining precise quantities.

It’s not enough to say someone died from XYZ. The quantity of XYZ must be determined as a fatal amount. Moo. Not implying drugs caused death, only providing info on what tox’ tests involve.

Now, let’s say autopsies led ME/pathologists to a conclusion. They’d then know precisely what to test for. If negative, they’d have to move on to other possibilities. Imo, no way after six weeks is it not clear what caused the 4 deaths. MOO

“A 13-year-old Silver Spring youth who collapsed last month during a football practice at St. John's College High School died as a result of heat stroke, the D.C. medical examiner's office said yesterday.

"It was an accidental death as a result of the exercise in a hot environment," said Randy Moshos, director of forensic investigations for the medical examiner's office.

Daniel Bell, an incoming freshman at the Northwest Washington private school, suffered a seizure on Aug. 18 and was taken to Children's Medical Center, where he died seven days later. The outdoor temperature was 92 degrees at the time Bell collapsed. The combination of heat and exertion caused a spike in his body temperature that damaged his vital organs and cardiovascular system, said Jonathan L. Arden, the chief medical examiner.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...by-heat/a134ded8-ee9b-4df6-b189-885c2524947f/

My *guess* is that if the G-C family died due to heat-related issues while hiking, that this may also be ruled an accident.
Simply awful. But only one FB player died? The rest of the team and staff coped, correct?

Nice sleuthing. I mentally guessed "accidental death" but it's always nice to have real evidence. I've been reading examples of heat stroke deaths too, to try to understand it better. I'm a veteran, when I was in training they had a flag system that limited physical training when it was hot. 90F/32C and above was "Black Flag".

This is why I think there will definitely be a finding, and if I had to guess, I’d say the FBI & DEA labs both have involvement in tox’ testing.
If this DEA lab can do what’s described, surely they can find environmental toxins, if they exist. Moo especially since they’d have samples and know what to test for (blooms, algae, etc.)

The DEA's Special Testing and Research Laboratory is an invitation-only kind of place hidden in an industrial area of Northern Virginia. Here, scientists covertly conduct special testing in their role to combat the nation's worst drug crisis.

Here are three things that make this lab special:

DEA drug testing lab: What to know about Virginia facility

There’s no shortage of things to consider.
The blooms and plants would be in the poison category, imo.

Toxicology: How It’s Done

Poison
5566752.jpg
Death by poison can happen in a variety of ways, for example through recreational exposure by inhaling solvents such as butane lighter fluid or fuels, ingesting plant-derived substances like Angel’s Trumpet, accidental exposure to a substance used in the workplace or even accidently produced in the home (like carbon monoxide), or suicidal ingestion of a poison such as strychnine, pesticides, cyanide, etc. These all require specialized tests and the laboratory is alerted to their possible usage or involvement in the death when requests for toxicology testing are submitted

According to her FB profile she ‘runs a cleaning group’ and is currently advertising for work on various social media groups on FB because of ‘recent horrible events’. (Quoted from her FB page.) I assume she must have been responsible for cleaning the couple’s properties in Mariposa. MOO

Didn't she provide LE and newspapers some photos of the Gerrish-Chung family including the dog? Her FB--or "my life" website, can't recall--also says that she owns a photography business. moo.

We should get the cause of death "soon". Based on the evidence that gradually emerged, there's no question in my mind that the cause was heat stroke. I won't bore you (or myself!) by repeating my reasoning any further. We'll know soon, place your bets.

A young teen hiking in AZ who survived heat stroke.

Phoenix Tries To Reverse Its 'Silent Storm' Of Heat Deaths

Azuela collapsed in the parking lot. By the time the ambulance arrived, the asphalt had singed his arms and legs, causing second-degree burns. His mother, Alicia Andazola, arrived at the emergency room to find her son covered in ice. His body temperature was approaching 108 degrees. Doctors removed Azuela's blood with a machine to cool it.

His organs started failing," she says. "We weren't sure for the first couple of days if he was going to make it."

What Stomach Contents Can Indicate

The process through which food is absorbed into the body can take anything from twenty two hours to two days to complete and within that time food is broken down and reduced to a liquid pulp from which essential proteins are extracted.

Given that this process can take such a long time the contents of the stomach – and in particular their condition at the time of autopsy – can help to estimate the time of death.

https://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/stomach-contents-as-a-means-of-evidence.html

(moo at this time all the pathologists are waiting for is quantitative results of some type of fatal toxin.)

In what city are the doing the autopsy?

Have they said?

Thx.
The autopsies took place the day after recovering the bodies, iirc.
I believe in the live update from Sheriff B he said “labs around the country are working on tox’.” Imo, Mariposa would not have qualified medical professionals or labs.
I’ll see if I can find the exact quote.

The Mariposa County coroner's office will also perform an autopsy and toxicology exam.
The local sheriff's office and California Department of Justice have collaborated in the investigation.

California family found dead under mysterious circumstances; officials investigate possible link to toxic algae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa