Found Deceased TX - Thomas Brown, 18, Hemphill County, 23 Nov 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted 1 hr. ago by Klein Investigations and Consulting
“Public Statement Regarding The Thomas Brown Case :

It has come to our understanding that there is a strong possibility that the District Attorney of Hemphill County, Texas, may not take the Brown case to a grand jury for review, as was told to our firm and the Brown/Meek family. At best, this is very disappointing.

We have been in consult with the family, legal counsel, and our federal law enforcement partners. We are announcing today that we are in consideration of calling a public town hall/press conference to which we, the civil investigators, will do a presentation of evidence to the citizens of Hemphill County and the media. We will then open it to a question and answer session to the media and public.

The final decision will be made post review with the family, legal counsel, and some of the witnesses.

It is time to drop all of the public posturings - and time to lay the case out to the public in order to bring justice for Thomas Brown.

We will update you in the first week of September.”

Link to the post on Klein’s Facebook page:

I would like to know whether McDonough has explained to the family why he is not taking the case to a grand jury.

I am so sad for Penny. And this whole situation makes me so sick. Barf.

I think its a risky move. BUT I also think its the only way the DA won't be re-elected. I do wonder if there is any legal move that would allow Penny to file an official complaint in Austin about the DA? I would think there would be some legal ground to help victims families when a DA declines to convene a grand jury.

Can someone tell me -- is Thomas' body still in Austin? I think it is but I am not sure if I dreamed that up or if it was fact. Assuming its still in Austin, why wouldn't they release the body to his family if there was 'nothing there'?

I wonder who the witnesses are??

Unreal...am wondering with the OAG's office has to say? They had confirmed a grand jury would convene (with dates changing due to covid). Seems like the DA's office is continuing to try & force it to fade away...incredibly sad for Tom's family. I have strong convictions that it was NOT a suicide (doesn't make sense with where his car was found vs where his body was found).

jellybean96 -- I've always assumed Tom's remains have been in Austin under the OAG's control since they were in charge of the investigation at the time. At some point (hopefully after a grand jury & subsequent legal proceedings) his family will get his remains & can finally lay him to rest. My heart breaks for them :( They must be wondering if this will ever end.

This is disturbing news but I have had concerns since 10/2020 when the Grand Jury proceeding was moved from Travis County back to Hemphill to the 31st District. If you recall, this is not the only questionable action by this DA in the 31st District (IMO).

As a MOO, far too many elected officials in this day and age who represent cities, counties, states, and federal governments use their authority to appease political cronies and big money donors in lieu of serving in an unbiased capacity. We see it every day.

Ok, I may show my inexperience with this question or general lack of understanding.

Why would they change their mind? Who makes that decision, I am confused. And could it be because more info is known and a grand jury is not needed?

But, wow just planning to have to put it all out there in a sense sounds like it is just begging for support from the public in the way of publicity to force the hands. So sad that has to be done to bring forth the truth.

I guess I have been following too many missing person cases where people just can't be found, I know remains were found here, but truly this seems like one more case that could greatly benefit from a geofence warrant to see who was where when. Is data held that long if one was pursued?

Ok, I may show my inexperience with this question or general lack of understanding.

Why would they change their mind? Who makes that decision, I am confused. And could it be because more info is known and a grand jury is not needed?

But, wow just planning to have to put it all out there in a sense sounds like it is just begging for support from the public in the way of publicity to force the hands. So sad that has to be done to bring forth the truth.

I guess I have been following too many missing person cases where people just can't be found, I know remains were found here, but truly this seems like one more case that could greatly benefit from a geofence warrant to see who was where when. Is data held that long if one was pursued?

Who makes the decision? The District Attorney.

Why would they change their mind? Because of limited inside information on the LE activities, I can't say for sure. However, based on what information that is publicly available, I don't think DA McDonough has changed his mind, IMO. You can get a good idea of his demeanor and his opinion on the case if you listen to the "unauthorized" bootleg recording from the 8/19/2019 private meeting with family members. Also you may want to review DA McDonough's actions that were related to the investigation into Sheriff Nathan Lewis that involved the Juvenile Probation Officer.

In March/April 2020 it was announced that a fact seeking Grand Jury was planned to take place in Travis County (Austin). The estimated timeframe was sometime from July to November. At the time the Travis DA was Margaret Moore. Then in November 2020 the plans for the GJ was suddenly moved to the 31st District (includes Hemphill County), McDonough's district. I never heard any reason why the location of the proceeding was moved. There were a number of political issues happening in Austin at the time, including the election of a new Travis County DA ..... but I don't know if those issues had any bearing on moving the proceeding to Hemphill.

diggndeeperstill, I forgot to mention ..... I agree that a geofence warrant may be very helpful in determining who all were moving around that night, if the data still exists with the carrier. As I understand, there is only one cell tower in Canadian so accurate cell tower triangulation is not possible, I think. However, cell phone GPS functions may tell an interesting tale ..... but I think that GPS data is only stored on the individual phone. In any case, it seems that geofence information could at least help narrow down which phones were moving about and/or transmitting phone calls, texts, or emails; it would not prove anything but may serve to narrow down POI's.

diggndeeperstill, I forgot to mention ..... I agree that a geofence warrant may be very helpful in determining who all were moving around that night, if the data still exists with the carrier. As I understand, there is only one cell tower in Canadian so accurate cell tower triangulation is not possible, I think. However, cell phone GPS functions may tell an interesting tale ..... but I think that GPS data is only stored on the individual phone. In any case, it seems that geofence information could at least help narrow down which phones were moving about and/or transmitting phone calls, texts, or emails; it would not prove anything but may serve to narrow down POI's.
Yes. I think the individual or individuals of interest have enough pull with law enforcement and local community to block any probable cause warrants for cell phones. I think the person who killed Tom wanted his cell phone and communication devices (including laptop) for the possible (incriminating or troublesome) information on it. This person also knows the ins and outs of forensics and law pertaining to criminal investigations and got help early on. Associates in high places, so to speak. This hit me as I am diving into the Murdaugh Deaths. I am sorry to be cryptic but money and prominence can buy silent lips and precious time in these instances. This is my opinion only.

Last edited:
Just my opinion based on what I observe .....

From the very beginning, the case has been "jinxed" by a phenomenal number of extraordinary events and unusual “coincidences”. Far more than the typical missing person and/or murder case. Maybe just a span of really bad luck, some may say. But, let’s be realistic. True coincidences happen but they are very, very rare; maybe one or two true coincidences in a lifetime. Maybe. “Luck” does not just happen out of the blue. What we typically attribute to “luck” (good or bad) is usually the result of a series of conscious actions. In my opinion the span of “bad luck” (i.e. loss of evidence, inability to arrive at provable facts, irrational theories and narratives that deflect from facts and confuse, etc.) in the Thomas Brown case is not coincidental.

I am sure that it is extremely disappointing to the family of Thomas Brown as they continue to see the Fact Finding Special Grand Jury proceeding be postponed again and again. The SGJ was originally slated to take place in Travis County. For some reason, unknown to the pubic, the session was transferred to the 31st District which includes Hemphill County, where it continues to be delayed. It seems to me that the SGJ would be an excellent opportunity to finally arrive at some answers, in the very least, an opportunity to determine which individuals or parties are being untruthful regarding their knowledge of the disappearance and death. IMO, regardless of what the true facts are, something is very wrong. I believe that is a strong consensus of many others who have followed the case. If the SGJ were to actually be convened, maybe no important new information would come forth. That is a risk. But, because there are so many wide disparities regarding "facts" in the case, I believe there is a strong chance that new information would come forth; information that could help investigators sort through fact vs. fiction. Information that could move the case forward.

Admittedly, investigators have much more information and evidence than what is available to the general public. There may well be good reasons for the SGJ delay such as awaiting the confirmation of potential newly discovered evidence, etc. In any case, it has been nearly 5 years since the disappearance of Thomas Brown. The family deserves to understand the reasons for the SGJ delays or any reasons that the SGJ will not convene, if that is the case.

Once again, just my opinion.

Just my opinion based on what I observe .....

From the very beginning, the case has been "jinxed" by a phenomenal number of extraordinary events and unusual “coincidences”. Far more than the typical missing person and/or murder case. Maybe just a span of really bad luck, some may say. But, let’s be realistic. True coincidences happen but they are very, very rare; maybe one or two true coincidences in a lifetime. Maybe. “Luck” does not just happen out of the blue. What we typically attribute to “luck” (good or bad) is usually the result of a series of conscious actions. In my opinion the span of “bad luck” (i.e. loss of evidence, inability to arrive at provable facts, irrational theories and narratives that deflect from facts and confuse, etc.) in the Thomas Brown case is not coincidental.

I am sure that it is extremely disappointing to the family of Thomas Brown as they continue to see the Fact Finding Special Grand Jury proceeding be postponed again and again. The SGJ was originally slated to take place in Travis County. For some reason, unknown to the pubic, the session was transferred to the 31st District which includes Hemphill County, where it continues to be delayed. It seems to me that the SGJ would be an excellent opportunity to finally arrive at some answers, in the very least, an opportunity to determine which individuals or parties are being untruthful regarding their knowledge of the disappearance and death. IMO, regardless of what the true facts are, something is very wrong. I believe that is a strong consensus of many others who have followed the case. If the SGJ were to actually be convened, maybe no important new information would come forth. That is a risk. But, because there are so many wide disparities regarding "facts" in the case, I believe there is a strong chance that new information would come forth; information that could help investigators sort through fact vs. fiction. Information that could move the case forward.

Admittedly, investigators have much more information and evidence than what is available to the general public. There may well be good reasons for the SGJ delay such as awaiting the confirmation of potential newly discovered evidence, etc. In any case, it has been nearly 5 years since the disappearance of Thomas Brown. The family deserves to understand the reasons for the SGJ delays or any reasons that the SGJ will not convene, if that is the case.

Once again, just my opinion.
Truly, I think whatever happened to Thomas Brown, if the facts are revealed, will rock Canadian, Texas. I mean turn it upside down! Those who are concealing the truth think they are doing so for the greater good of their community. I went back and read through threads 1 and 2 to refresh my memory of member contributions to the case. I also did some independent research on Canadian history, goings on in the AG and panhandle news articles. My theories regarding Thomas Brown's death have changed.

We realize several invested followers have asked for an update on the Thomas Brown case. We will be releasing an update soon. We are currently solidifying date and time of the press conference and when that is completed, we will give details to such. Thank you for your patience.

From Kleins FB page.

Most likely unrelated, but FBI + DPS are woking jointly today on an operation in Pampa (40-ish miles away).

FBI, other agencies conducting joint operation in Pampa

THANK YOU jellybean96 for an update! Tom's been on my mind a lot lately and I keep thinking there HAS to be some sort of answers for his family. Here's hoping the press conference will bring news of his case moving forward...it's been in stall mode for far too long.

New update from Kleins FB Page:

Statement regarding investigation of Thomas Brown in Canadian, Texas:
Klein Investigations & Consulting with all investigators involved will be making a presentation for the media and citizens of Hemphill County on October 20th at 6 PM. This will take place at the Pavillion.
Investigators will open the books on the Tom Brown case- laying out the timeline and internal events. After the presentation, all investigators will answer any and all questions that the public and media asks.
The purpose of this event is to attempt to shed light on The truth of this case. Not innuendo and rumor. As well, to attempt to bring healing to people of North Texas.
We encourage citizens of North Texas to attend in order to hear the truth and not rumor. All media inquiries can be sent to carolinegear@kleininvestigations.com

Klein Investigations & Consulting with all investigators involved will be making a presentation for the media and citizens of Hemphill County on October 20th at 6 PM. This will take place at the Pavillion.
Investigators will open the books on the Tom Brown case- laying out the timeline and internal events. After the presentation, all investigators will answer any and all questions that the public and media asks.
The purpose of this event is to attempt to shed light on The truth of this case. Not innuendo and rumor. As well, to attempt to bring healing to people of North Texas.
We encourage citizens of North Texas to attend in order to hear the truth and not rumor. All media inquiries can be sent to carolinegear@kleininvestigations.com[/QUOTE

Last edited:
I have no idea how to correct that I commented inside jellybean96 original quote. The last 3 1/2 lines are my words and not the author's above. If someone can tell me how to delete or edit I would be thankful to clear this up.

We encourage citizens of North Texas to attend in order to hear the truth and not rumor. All media inquiries can be sent to carolinegear@kleininvestigations.com

Again, thanks for the update. It's sounding like this is a last ditch effort to get the investigation information out there since it doesn't appear a grand jury will be convened anytime soon or if ever. My heart just breaks for Tom's family. They've tried so hard to push the investigation forward and not allow it to just go silent. He deserves more and so do they.

Again, thanks for the update. It's sounding like this is a last ditch effort to get the investigation information out there since it doesn't appear a grand jury will be convened anytime soon or if ever. My heart just breaks for Tom's family. They've tried so hard to push the investigation forward and not allow it to just go silent. He deserves more and so do they.
I see it more as a warning shot to the DA. Either hold a grand jury or its all gonna be told. I am fully convinced the DA does not want certain info out in the public. Maybe I am wrong though.

I see it more as a warning shot to the DA. Either hold a grand jury or its all gonna be told. I am fully convinced the DA does not want certain info out in the public. Maybe I am wrong though.

jellybean96 you may be correct. Klein first mentioned organizing a meeting such as this at the time of his statements a few months back when he was encouraging people to write to the DA to inquire about the Grand Jury delays and to urge the DA to proceed with a fact finding GJ.

A part of Klein's statement is not quite clear to me ("Klein Investigations & Consulting with all investigators involved ....."). I'm not sure if he means all investigators associated only with his firm or literally all investigators including representatives from OAG, Texas Rangers, and HCSO. It seems more likely to me that he means only those investigators associated with his organization. It just does not seem likely to me that law enforcement agencies would be willing to publicly "open the books" on an ongoing investigation.

I so hope you're right!!! The feet dragging from le & da just boggles the mind and borders of being criminal if what I think will come out if/when a grand jury is convened. Just feels like they want to pat Penny on the top of the head & tell her to go on her way....nothing to see here....grrrrr!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni