Crafts To Do During Covid Restrictions

Still keeping busy by quilting. Fabric prices have really gone up and the selection in the stores has gone down. I’m doing more online shopping which is always a gamble because you don’t know exactly how it will look in person.
The blue and yellow barn raising ended up being bought by a friend of mine and the Mickey one sold already.
2 and 3 are my faves! Beautiful!

Wow, everyone is so talented! Beautiful quilts. Love the burlap wreaths and those funny little gnomes! Too cute. And those meds bags! You could turn that into a cottage industry, PN!

I am so happy people repurpose old furniture. Pardon me, old solid wood furniture, that you don't put together with an Allen key. I love repurposing furniture and modernizing it for current use. I am in the process of sanding and painting a mid century modern light oak highboy chest a beautiful pale pistachio green with updated gold handles. Six coats of paint (with 4 aught steel wool sanding in between coats) and I'm still not satisfied with the finish. It is therapeutic, I find. Maybe it'll never get finished! It has to be, though, since I've got a few other pieces crowding out our space. DH says I should only be allowed in the Restore Store once a month.

I am also making bracelets. I started sourcing out semi-precious stones and sterling silver beads to make bracelets for myself and for presents to ease the boredom of Covid restrictions. What started as a pastime has now turned into a little business. Everyone wants one. Even the guys. It's actually fun to make bracelets for men. I get to use the darker beads and more rustic copper and antiqued brass beads. Here's a few of my designs.

Lovely! I used to order my gemstones from Fire Mountain Gems when I was making jewelry.

Lovely! I used to order my gemstones from Fire Mountain Gems when I was making jewelry.

Thanks! I've used them, too. I've bought stuff from all over the world. Some of my faves are Greek patinated copper beads that come from Germany, lots of stuff from the Canada and US, India and Thailand. I do get stuff from China but you have to be careful because I got burned with some fakes. Got my money back, though.

Working on more quilts. Finished the previous one, laid out another one and finished a quick one that I’m not fond of but maybe a tall skinny kid would like. The red bordered one I’m not thrilled with. It works but it’s not my best work.

The one with the dark red border reminds me of the Gustav Klimt painting called The Kiss. With jeweled toned mosaics instead of yellow. It's beautiful.

Attachments

• The-Kiss.jpg
    The-Kiss.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 19
My current project is a set of 4 fall themed cloth napkins for my each of my girls. Their birthdays were late July and the Delta variant of Covid kept us apart for most of the summer. But I’m “boostered” now! LOL!

I washed and ironed the fabric today. Then cut 20” squares. My aunt recommended the size after I mentioned the ones online seemed small at 16”.

This is my first time using clips. I’m struggling. It took me entirely too long to be happy with their placement. My aunt said put them closer so I added more clips. The corners were too hard. I have exactly ONE napkin ready for the machine. I haven't even threaded the bobbin yet. Maybe the sides can be clips but the corners are going to be pinned on the rest. Here I thought I’d get 8 square napkins in a day or two. What was I thinking??? Good grief.

See my trike “Birdie” in the background? She is supervising my sewing and likely thinks I cussed entirely too much today. In the morning we are going to toodle around the ‘hood. I haven't been able to ride since July.

Attachments

• A3E1FA8C-7C02-4C48-84E9-37D9E43FCE5C.jpeg
    A3E1FA8C-7C02-4C48-84E9-37D9E43FCE5C.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 37
  • E6E4C18F-41AD-4681-BA90-D30544778983.jpeg
    E6E4C18F-41AD-4681-BA90-D30544778983.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 41
  • E623F2D8-C925-4C47-A463-D61DAAF7E2A4.jpeg
    E623F2D8-C925-4C47-A463-D61DAAF7E2A4.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 37
My current project is a set of 4 fall themed cloth napkins for my each of my girls. Their birthdays were late July and the Delta variant of Covid kept us apart for most of the summer. But I’m “boostered” now! LOL!

I washed and ironed the fabric today. Then cut 20” squares. My aunt recommended the size after I mentioned the ones online seemed small at 16”.

This is my first time using clips. I’m struggling. It took me entirely too long to be happy with their placement. My aunt said put them closer so I added more clips. The corners were too hard. I have exactly ONE napkin ready for the machine. I haven't even threaded the bobbin yet. Maybe the sides can be clips but the corners are going to be pinned on the rest. Here I thought I’d get 8 square napkins in a day or two. What was I thinking??? Good grief.

See my trike “Birdie” in the background? She is supervising my sewing and likely thinks I cussed entirely too much today. In the morning we are going to toodle around the ‘hood. I haven't been able to ride since July.

Love the fall leaves fabric!

Still keeping busy by quilting. Fabric prices have really gone up and the selection in the stores has gone down. I’m doing more online shopping which is always a gamble because you don’t know exactly how it will look in person.
The blue and yellow barn raising ended up being bought by a friend of mine and the Mickey one sold already.

The fall colors in your second quilt are especially appealing to me, as is the pattern. I'm into fall stuff now!

Wow, everyone is so talented! Beautiful quilts. Love the burlap wreaths and those funny little gnomes! Too cute. And those meds bags! You could turn that into a cottage industry, PN!

I am so happy people repurpose old furniture. Pardon me, old solid wood furniture, that you don't put together with an Allen key. I love repurposing furniture and modernizing it for current use. I am in the process of sanding and painting a mid century modern light oak highboy chest a beautiful pale pistachio green with updated gold handles. Six coats of paint (with 4 aught steel wool sanding in between coats) and I'm still not satisfied with the finish. It is therapeutic, I find. Maybe it'll never get finished! It has to be, though, since I've got a few other pieces crowding out our space. DH says I should only be allowed in the Restore Store once a month.

I am also making bracelets. I started sourcing out semi-precious stones and sterling silver beads to make bracelets for myself and for presents to ease the boredom of Covid restrictions. What started as a pastime has now turned into a little business. Everyone wants one. Even the guys. It's actually fun to make bracelets for men. I get to use the darker beads and more rustic copper and antiqued brass beads. Here's a few of my designs.

Those are lovely! I used to make beaded necklaces but I never made a bracelet. I still have some jewelry making supplies in a box but haven't made anything in ages. I enjoy seeing all the posts here.

Sister quilt to the other one. Same basic blocks, different layout. This one isn’t laying out as nice and is going to require some trimming and work. I made enough blocks for 4 different lap size quilts all at once. Now it’s laying them out and sewing them together.

Attachments

• E99B5AD4-6341-40DD-8270-5D1782BC5AE6.jpeg
    E99B5AD4-6341-40DD-8270-5D1782BC5AE6.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 23

A ride around the neighborhood sounds like a good plan! I’m sure once you get the kinks worked out they’ll go much faster. I like your clips, I should get some to hold my rows together to go to the machine.

A ride around the neighborhood sounds like a good plan! I’m sure once you get the kinks worked out they’ll go much faster. I like your clips, I should get some to hold my rows together to go to the machine.
If you buy clips, find a coupon first! I found a 60% off coupon on my JoAnn Fabric app. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have bought them.

Man, I just lost my post! Oh, well. First craft class tonight went really well. It only took an hour and everyone really seemed to need the social part. Next class won't have to be as restricted in numbers because it's cheap to make - fabric pumpkins!

It's interesting to see these pumpkins discussed in the midst of quilts as I follow a crafter on IG who uses (extremely well loved and used but still lovely) vintage quilts and vintage chenille bedspreads to craft pumpkins, apples, witch hats, hotpads/trivets, and all sorts of wonderful things which she sells on Etsy.

I love all the talent in this thread! :)

It's interesting to see these pumpkins discussed in the midst of quilts as I follow a crafter on IG who uses (extremely well loved and used but still lovely) vintage quilts and vintage chenille bedspreads to craft pumpkins, apples, witch hats, hotpads/trivets, and all sorts of wonderful things which she sells on Etsy.

I love all the talent in this thread! :)
I especially like them done in felt. But I had to go the cheaper route on these for a library project. Old quilts are a good idea. People used to donate ripped up quilts for the animals in our animal rescue, and those are the kind that I wouldn't mind to cut up for something like this. I've also seen stained quilts at auctions and that would work, too. Just cut around the stains.

I especially like them done in felt. But I had to go the cheaper route on these for a library project. Old quilts are a good idea. People used to donate ripped up quilts for the animals in our animal rescue, and those are the kind that I wouldn't mind to cut up for something like this. I've also seen stained quilts at auctions and that would work, too. Just cut around the stains.
I looked back on posts to see if you had linked a pattern for the pumpkins but didn’t find one. Is there one online that you recommend?

I’m going to have some of this leaf fabric left, not a lot but it would make a cute pumpkin. I probably have other fall fabrics that would coordinate too.

I looked back on posts to see if you had linked a pattern for the pumpkins but didn’t find one. Is there one online that you recommend?

I’m going to have some of this leaf fabric left, not a lot but it would make a cute pumpkin. I probably have other fall fabrics that would coordinate too.
I'll look for it.

They are done! My thread kept breaking and it’s not cheap thread either. I adjusted the tension, stitch length too. Drove me nuts but they’re done. Now to get them mailed out to my kiddos.

I found this fabric at JoAnns in the linen section. It is high quality and does ravel. I did not like sewing with the clips at all. Maybe they’ll be good for quilting.

Attachments

• CC23BCC5-5636-468B-BAF4-41A86E261CA6.jpeg
    CC23BCC5-5636-468B-BAF4-41A86E261CA6.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 23
They are done! My thread kept breaking and it’s not cheap thread either. I adjusted the tension, stitch length too. Drove me nuts but they’re done. Now to get them mailed out to my kiddos.

I found this fabric at JoAnns in the linen section. It is high quality and does ravel. I did not like sewing with the clips at all. Maybe they’ll be good for quilting.

The napkins are lovely!

Well done! They are beautiful!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back