SD SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #4

My sons recently finished fifth grade, and their school held a little “drive thru” celebration for all the fifth grade students. A classmate arrived just before us, and she was wearing a purple shirt and her car was decorated with purple balloons and streamers. Sweet Serenity immediately came to my mind. It’s so unfair that she isn’t able to experience the big (and little) things that happen in life. Where are you, precious girl? :(

Yes, there will always be hope for this little girl -- and she surely was a little girl. One of those special children we here at WS will never forget. Each of us here have at least a couple of special ones who will always be remembered.

Yesterday as my husband and kids were leaving Mt. Rushmore we decided to do a drive through Black Hills NP, towards Custer SP. The GPS was leading us to I-90 on our way back to the Midwest and the next thing I know... were approaching these very nice black buildings. I ask my husband, do you think it's a school? Then suddenly I felt slight terror, and shock realizing exactly where we were. Right after that my shock turned into a deep sadness, I can't believe they still haven't found her.

Last edited:
I still have not fully developed a hypothesis on what I really think happened to Serenity. I go between, she just got cold and is hidden well in the woods to someone picked her up somewhere along the way. JMO

Yesterday as my husband and kids were leaving Mt. Rushmore we decided to do a drive through Black Hills NP, towards Custer SP. The GPS was leading us to I-90 on our way back to the Midwest and the next thing I know... were approaching these very nice black buildings. I ask my husband, do you think it's a school? Then suddenly I felt slight terror, and shock realizing exactly where we were. Right after that my shock turned into a deep sadness, I can't believe they still haven't found her.
bbm
Same here -- not a trace of her, as far as we know. Not a shoe, a shirt, a bone, a hunk of her hair, just nothing. That's why we still worry, wonder, hurt, and yes, hope.

You know how sometimes searches are really thorough, intense and it seems like every square inch is searched? But, then the remains are found nearby much later, like months or years later. That’s what my intuition is telling me with Serenity since day 1. I think a piece of her black rubber boots will be found one day, simply because it will take a very long time to deteriorate.

Last edited:
You know how sometimes searches are really thorough, intense and it seems like every square inch is searched? But, then the remains are found nearby much later, like months or years later. That’s what my intuition is telling me with Serenity since day 1. I think a piece of her black rubber boots will be found one day, simply because it will take a very long time to deteriorate.
I tend to agree with this. The idea of a "thorough search" is misleading, especially in the difficult terrain where Serenity went missing. They do the best they can, but it is hardly fail proof. I even saw videos of one of the searches for Serenity, and the searches were spaced around 10 feet apart, I walking through tall grass, and I kept thinking that for the amount of space they were covering, there was a lot of room or places where small things like a boot could have been easily missed. Searchers do the best they can, but they are hardly perfect. Do you remember the case of Elizabeth Shelley? Her little body was hastily hidden within a block of her home, and extensive searches failed to find her. It wasn't until the uncle led them to the spot where she was hidden under some brush that they found her.
The terrain where Serenity went missing is infinitely more treacherous and larger.

I still have questions about the timeline. That was when we had a Chinook, and it seemed so warm that day...and turned into a raging three day Blizzard, to -30 below that night.
It was quite warm the day before. At the time Serenity left the buildings, the temperatures were already starting to drop, but were still a bit above freezing, I believe. By the time the searches got organized and began several hours later, it had dropped significantly. The bottom dropped out and it started to snow - effectively hiding any traces that may have been left behind.

I still have not fully developed a hypothesis on what I really think happened to Serenity. I go between, she just got cold and is hidden well in the woods to someone picked her up somewhere along the way. JMO
By what little we know, Serenity had become quite adept at finding and hiding in small, out of the way, hard to find places. I suspect she did this, it would be very difficult for a search party to find her.

Serenity's biological mother was interviewed in a YouTube video. She lost all parental rights but she does care about Serenity. She stated someone told her Serenity was living with her "uncle" in Washington State. She did not know who this person could be. I believe the person who told her was someone she had met at one time serving time. The bio mother said someone in her past may have been motivated to take Serenity for revenge against something she may have done as an addict. Her bio mother believes she is alive.

Serenity's biological mother was interviewed in a YouTube video. She lost all parental rights but she does care about Serenity. She stated someone told her Serenity was living with her "uncle" in Washington State. She did not know who this person could be. I believe the person who told her was someone she had met at one time serving time. The bio mother said someone in her past may have been motivated to take Serenity for revenge against something she may have done as an addict. Her bio mother believes she is alive.
Well that's new information.

Thinking about Serenity and her loved ones x
Yes, when the weather starts to get cooler, I think of her and all of us worrying because it was too cold that night considering what we were told she was wearing.
And still not a hair, a bone, a button, a boot, nothing of hers has been found as far as we know.
I hope she's happy, well-fed, well-clothed and truly loved and happy, somewhere -- down here, or up in the clouds.

Did she ever have many visitors? Or get many phone calls? Or letters? Someone would have had to tell her which day they were coming to pick her ups, if they were going to take her to Washington.

Did she ever have many visitors? Or get many phone calls? Or letters? Someone would have had to tell her which day they were coming to pick her ups, if they were going to take her to Washington.
It seemed to me that Serenity's only authorized visitors were her adoptive father and his current wife, at the time. I want to say the Sunday, the day Serenity walked away, was the normal or typical day for visitor hours.

This is the only YT I'm aware of -- this is dated March 13, 2019:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NPOL1566
Back