GUILTY UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London, Clapham Common area, 3 Mar 2021 *Life sentence* #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
what if she realised she had done nothing wrong/to be arrested for, let alone had handcuffs put on, maybe walked/ran past him or made a scene?

The couple of times I have been stopped by police or people purporting to be police, I was so shocked and stunned, I couldn't protect myself really. In the case where they purported to be police, they had uniforms and ID which they flashed at me and that was enough for me to cooperate. I didn't even consider not cooperating. It wasn't till I'd paid a fine and they had left, that I thought "Wait a minute..." Fortunately nothing desperately bad happened to me but just saying - you may know your rights but not be able to act on them in the moment if you're caught unawares or if it's automatic for you to obey a police officer. JMO MOO

12:05pm
Police abuse murder equal to politically-motivated murder, says judge

The judge said that using the powers of a police officer in order to kidnap, rape and murder is of equal seriousness of a political-motivated murder, which carries a whole-life term.

He added that it attacked the "fundamental underpinnings" of our democratic life.

And the defence statement that he didn't intend to kill her which is clear because he gave his personal details for the hire car. And yet they admit that he planned to kidnap and rape someone. Still having given his personal details for the hire car. I just think he thought the car wouldn't have been identified

I seem to have seen reference to him having had two children being considered relevant to sentencing. It should not be.

It's relevant in terms of what kind of person he was.

e.g. Was he a lifetime criminal? or was he a family man always in employment?

The Justice is not saying that having kids gets him a discount.

Wayne Couzens sentenced to a whole-life order
Lord Justice Fulford has sentended Wayne Couzens to a whole-life order.

A whole-life order means the criminal is in prison for the rest of their life without ever becoming eligible for parole.

It differs from a life sentence, under which the prisoner is given a number of years they must spend in jail after which they will be eligible to apply for parole.

Whole-life tariffs are reserved for offenders judged to be the most dangerous to society.

The judge asked Wayne Couzens to stand in the dock and said: "You have eroded the confidence the public are entitled to have and it is critical that every subject in this country can trust police when they encounter them."

Live updates as Wayne Couzens is jailed for life for Sarah Everard's murder

RIP Sarah, sadly it seems the worst case scenario was her tragic reality.

It's a shame that tax payers money will now be spent on keeping him fed and clothed when there are so many other more worthy causes but I'm glad her family and friends won't have the drama of Parole hearings etc.

Nice to see so many members who were around at the start. Hope you're all doing well!

And I'm infuriated by the defence counsel statement that by pleading guilty he saved Sarah's family from humiliation at trial. They never would have been humiliated. He's the only one who we view with disgust and that would only have multiplied with hearing details at a trial

I agree it's annoying but it is a standard factor which goes on his side of the ledger. People plead guilty for these kinds of reasons so it can be raised at sentencing in mitigation.

It's relevant in terms of what kind of person he was.

e.g. Was he a lifetime criminal? or was he a family man always in employment?

The Justice is not saying that having kids gets him a discount.

Again, I do not think it should matter whether a person is a “family man” with kids or a confirmed bachelor. I appreciate the picture that goes into a full character but kids shouldn’t be part of it. It is somewhat offensive to me that it holds any sway. People are welcome to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305