Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about this too, and I'm guessing that the FBI probably has collected this info as they gather evidence - and as you say, have asked that it not be shared with MSM. It probably has followed the use of the ATM card, painting a by-the-hour picture of BL's journey back to FL. JMO.

Although, I swear that I read (on one of these threads) something about confirmation of the card's use at a particular gas station, but of course I can't remember the thread #, and can't find it via MSM, so MOO to the max.
I will try and look, but I believe it was two different gas stations in a town in Illinois? I saw the same reported.

ETA: Reports: Laundrie credit card purchases linked to Benton, IL gas station

Broken record...

From things Rose said, like BL taking GP’s ID so she couldn’t leave, plus the altercation in Moab where he seemingly took her phone and keys, to his five day trip home from 8/17 through the 8/23, leaving GP in a hotel, it appears BL might have a pattern of isolating her. Add to that the unverified reports of seeing him alone acting weird in the van on 8/26 and drinking alone in West Yellowstone that night, it might be that he left her alone at the campsite regularly. It's why I don't think those unverified sources are unrealistic.

The bigger picture, imo, still leads me to think it is possible that after the Merry Piglets incident, he was angry and he left her alone at Spread Creek campground, with the van, but without the keys or her phone, while he went hiking for two days. This would be typical isolating behavior for him, imo.

If he knew he’d left GP stranded without her phone and alone in the campground, the last thing he would want is for the lady who he hitchhiked with back to the campground to then drive him to the van and have GP tell her what he had done. So, he insists on getting out at the entrance.

His text to GP’s mom on 8/27, about Stan, maybe wasn’t even him making a mistake and wanting her mom to think it was her. Maybe it was BL asking for Stan to stop calling (or whatever) because he had her phone on him and was sick of it. By the 30th, she was dead and he wanted no contact, so he wrote the Yosemite text, which basically was saying there would be no more phone reception, so no more contact. IDK.

The general consensus seems to be that he left for his hike after killing her (for an alibi, maybe), but I still can’t grasp him taking off, leaving her body near the van for easy identification if she were to be found, all while he’s still in the park boundaries and on foot. It just doesn’t make sense for him to do that, then hitchhike back to the crime scene. I can’t get past this.
BBM
Agreed. It's too calculated to line up his behavior or coming home and just pretending nothing happened. Something made him come back. That said, his strange behavior on the hitchhikes makes me believe she was already dead.

You know what I find odd? No other social media accounts for Gabby or Brian other than the the two IG accounts, Gabby's fb and the Depop. Kids today are all about their social media and yet we see nothing about them from high school, or before they were together. I've looked and looked and found nothing. There's got to be some other social media out there.

It's not unusual at all imo for people of their age to not have a Facebook, and Twitter accounts really depend on the person. I don't have a Facebook account, and do have a Twitter but it only has nickname with no surname as the listed name, is private and has been updated maybe ~20 times in the 8 years I've had it, in times I've 'tried to get into' Twitter. It's just not for me though, at least in terms of posting my own thoughts - I do search for news etc sometimes, but only because I visit the homepage for work purposes. Neither GP or BL strike me as the typical Twitter user (although I'm willing to be wrong of course - just my opinion).

We do know Gabby had a Snapchat account - that makes sense to me, as a way to keep in touch and share life insights with close/approved friends. I'm a little older, 26, but I don't think it's unusual and I think young people are much less 'on' social media than older people think - in my experience, we're quite savvy about personal data and staying private with things that should be private. Even if people do have SM accounts, eg a TikTok or personal YouTube account, it may well just be for ease of viewing other people's content rather than sharing their own, and therefore isn't as publicly obvious or identifiable. All my humble opinion, of course :)

ETA: Of course Gabby, at least, was arguably trying to break into the world of social media influencing. I wasn't aware there was a TikTok account for her that had been tracked down, but it does make sense if it was related to her trip. All I meant to say was that from my experience, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone wasn't able to find public social media regarding their personal lives and insights, for example a Twitter account updated during high school, or a more personal account from recent years.

I'd not be surprised, for example, if Gabby had an account on Tumblr or similar blog site, but I'd also be surprised if she had linked that directly to her full name or any other easily-identifiable personal info. Hope that makes sense and that my original post still has some benefit/insight into the social media use of the younger generation!

Last edited:
This is Florida, peninsula surrounded on three sides with water. Unless Brian's parents had delivered to or rented a car for him, Brian is land-locked and vulnerable. His only other route out is airplane or boat. With the highways of this country packed with LE having Brian's face seared to their forebrains, the Gulf of Mexico and the thousands of inlets, lagoons and tiny islands would be mighty tempting. MOO
It's not as easy to do anymore but he could have also hopped on a freight train heading north. I think if he did run he went somewhere familiar. Where? I dunno.

Here is an article that states that GP's probable destination was NY: Brian Laundrie manhunt: Florida park documents confirm family camped out after Gabby Petito disappearance

That is very interesting - it didn't register with me before. Had GP told her mother that she would be returning to NY rather than her home in Florida at the Laundries'?

That's one of the best points that's been made here in days. It strongly suggests that there'd been a break between GP and BL before she disappeared.

So, are you saying you think that the FBI would share that information? I don’t know who else would know, they don’t seem to have many friends or contacts. Just throwing that out as a possibility. It occurred to me as I saw the parents leaving to go somewhere again today that something like that could be the case.
Well, if that's the case, why are LE conducting massive searches? Why would BL parents allow that to go on? The FBI could disclose that info if it was true and if they wanted to disclose it. So could the parents. There's no HIPAA violation. Even if a healthcare worker violated HIPAA and told a friend that BL was in a hospital, the friend could tell everyone. The only HIPAA violator would be the healthcare worker. Also, when someone goes missing, LE checks hospitals and they are able to get disclosure of whether that person is there. If BL parents are going to visit BL in a hospital and they are allowing these searches, they are more morally bankrupt than I thought.

Here is an article that states that GP's probable destination was NY: Brian Laundrie manhunt: Florida park documents confirm family camped out after Gabby Petito disappearance

That is very interesting - it didn't register with me before. Had GP told her mother that she would be returning to NY rather than her home in Florida at the Laundries'?

EDIT - it could also be that she had to say that in order to file a missing person's report in NY? I don't know.

Im very thankful for you posting that link. I have been looking. It's just another piece of the puzzle. Could very well be that Gabby's mom had to use her home address to file the report in NY. I wish I had more knowledge in those areas...maybe someone here knows how that works.

I’m surprised that we haven’t heard many reports from the areas / gas stations / stores / drive-thrus that Brian stopped at on his drive home from WY to FL. I am very curious why more people haven’t come forward with this, or if they have but the FBI has asked them not to speak publicly. I’d think by this point, there would be definitive accounts backed up by CCTV footage that store owners would come out with or confirm.

I’m also surprised that we have not heard interviews from any of Brian’s former teachers, coaches, or other adults in his life in his formative years, or managers at jobs he’s had, who could give perspective on his personality: was he conscientious, a bully, bullied, social, asocial, history of suspensions, etc. Not to say that this would tell us anything specific about this case or who he grew into as an adult, but I would have expected people to discuss this and journalists to interview them. I think it’s somewhat odd that we have only heard from a small few friends of his and Gabby’s (AFAIK).
Would you want your name and face plastered all over the internet in relation with this case (or any crime case for that matter)? I sure wouldn't. I would talk to the relevant authorities and otherwise keep quiet.
I am sure the FBI has lots of information from people who saw him, and from his acquaintances. I don't find it odd at all.
And what good would his parents making a public appeal do? Everybody hates them anyway, everybody is looking for him anyway. There is nothing at this point and as far as the general public is aware that they could say or do to make a difference.

HIPAA only applies to people who are actually employed in the healthcare field with access to an individual's personal healthcare info whether it be a nurse, receptionist, data entry person, etc. If I am not one of these people and I find out you are in a mental institution, I can tell everyone I know and it's legal.

So, are you saying you think that the FBI would share that information? I don’t know who else would know, they don’t seem to have many friends or contacts. Just throwing that out as a possibility. It occurred to me as I saw the parents leaving to go somewhere again today that something like that could be the case.
I agree. It's not in their best interest to say anything now. But the original post I responded to wondered if HIPAA was preventing his parents and/or LE from divulging BL's known location (the implication being he is currently hospitalized.) As your post states a health care provider could contact LE under certain conditions. But I was responding to the notion his parents might be muzzled by HIPAA. And they aren't. They are not a keeper of medical records nor a provider who keeps records. So I don't think HIPAA plays a role, at least not now. Of course, medical issues could play a role in this case in the future. We can't know one way or the other right now.
JMO

I was wondering if they all could know where he is. Obviously the parents can talk whenever they want but it doesn’t make sense to talk in this scenario. I think where the HIPPA laws come in would be anyone directly working with him in a setting like that. But, even then I would be surprised if someone didn’t spill the beans.

I just had a thought, not sure if it's been discussed.

The statement from BL's lawyer says that BL purchased a phone on 9/4 and that it wasn't a burner as BL opened a new account with AT&T.

Why would he open a NEW account if he just lost his old phone? Did he and GP share an account? I know I've shared accounts with boyfriends in the past, and given BL's controlling nature we've heard about, I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he talked GP into it. If he told his parents they just broke up, it wouldn't be suspicious to them for him to open a new account.

IMO the phone is not suspicious at all. A lot of people lose their phones The phone was openly purchased and LE has records of it. Where concerns would be are if BL does have a burner phone or phones that LE does not know about. And of course, none of us have any knowledge of thst. What we know, we can pretty much guarantee LE knows unless it’s fast breaking news someone off the information grid releases.

Well, if that's the case, why are LE conducting massive searches? Why would BL parents allow that to go on? The FBI could disclose that info if it was true and if they wanted to disclose it. So could the parents. There's no HIPAA violation. Even if a healthcare worker violated HIPAA and told a friend that BL was in a hospital, the friend could tell everyone. The only HIPAA violator would be the healthcare worker. Also, when someone goes missing, LE checks hospitals and they are able to get disclosure of whether that person is there. If BL parents are going to visit BL in a hospital and they are allowing these searches, they are more morally bankrupt than I thought.
Maybe the searches are for evidence solely? I am aware LE would know where he is but I don’t think they would share that necessarily.

Would you want your name and face plastered all over the internet in relation with this case (or any crime case for that matter)? I sure wouldn't. I would talk to the relevant authorities and otherwise keep quiet.
I am sure the FBI has lots of information from people who saw him, and from his acquaintances. I don't find it odd at all.
And what good would his parents making a public appeal do? Everybody hates them anyway, everybody is looking for him anyway. There is nothing at this point and as far as the general public is aware that they could say or do to make a difference.

LE tends to ask these places to keep quiet so not to start more of a circus than already happening.

Oh, I missed that. Has it been reported how GP parents learned he came home in the van without her? From what I understand, police didn't actually see BL on the 10th or 11th.
Apparently a neighbor claimed to see Brian outside on the 10th. The couple across the street said he was walking and/or biking with his mom as if everything was normal. Imo

I had a thought...you know how they were able to see where phones were pinging at the Capitol on 1/6? I wonder if they would be able to know if a phone was pinging from the swamp. Of course, there were probably many phones pinging from the campground, so it probably wouldn't be helpful there.

All pings collected are helpful (eg. the campground) because those pings are then further queried (correlation with additional data) for possible connections to persons of interest.

@Swild

This is worth repeating.

"By now the whole world knows BL and his family <modsnip>. He buys a new phone with no concern that GP might call to get her van and her belongings? He and his parents knew she wouldn't and why she couldn't. Did they think she would just give him the van? Or that she'd say keep all of my belongings? There is no way they didn't know what happened. They are just as guilty IMHO."
It's an interesting thought but losing a phone/ changing numbers doesn't eliminate communication. They probably communicated mostly by social media apps.

I would think that store owners might shop their stories around to the media for payment? Or for attention, I’m sure more people have heard about Merry Piglets now than ever before due to this case and they're probably getting more business. That type of thing.

Not saying it’s abnormal to keep it under wraps, but it slightly surprises me in a case of this size. But I do hope those stores have reported to the FBI if they have recognizable memory or CCTV, I’m sure they have.

Re: his parents, I agree. They have nothing to win or lose now. But it just doesn’t come across as very concerned to me, or I guess normal behavior for the family with a “missing child”. But this isn’t a normal case so, just surprised by it, but not taking anything further than that from it. Not sure what I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow