Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your 1, 2, 3 and 5, but I'm not sure about 4. If the death hadn't been ruled a homicide, I would definitely have said it was an accident. But I wonder how an actual accident could support a homicide determination. I think the cause of death will give us a full picture.
I think given the immediate ruling of homicide, even with the advanced state of decomposition, the COD was something pretty clear. Gunshot or knife wounds, numerous skull fractures from blunt force trauma, a fractured hyoid bone from strangulation. Something along those lines for them to have determined homicide without hesitation.

JMO

I’ve been thinking about BL’s phone situation. So, he told the Moab cop in the body cam footage he didn’t have one. He then pulls one out - sticks it in his pocket (https://twitter.com/wflajb/status/1443728232692465666?s=21). Then on the way home from Wyoming, he had to use A phone to call his mom - otherwise, how would she know to cancel the reservation at the campsite on August 31 before he arrived home on September 1. He arrives home with no phone - whether he lost it or disposed of it. Then he went to get a phone per the statement from the Laundries attorney. When asked did he know where the previous phone was, he said no (https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1443579412662738948?s=20). He didn’t say “no comment” he didn’t say “he didn’t have a phone before.” So my question(s) is:
(1) Did the attorney kinda back-handedly admit that there even was a phone before?
(2) If for this new phone he got an AT&T account set up in his name, that would mean that the old one wasn’t in his name. Was he on his parent’s account? Or did he & Gabby have a plan together? IMO it’s probably on his parent’s account. How would that end up legally if he isn’t the account owner on either of them? Could the cops still get the info with a warrant?
Idk these are the things I think about…I need a nap this case makes my head hurt haha!

ETA: I was informed that she didn’t cancel the reservation on August 31. Either way. He ended up without the phone. He just can’t for sure be known to have used it on the way home.

Last edited:
1. Out of character for me (black & white personality), but I actually am not sure he killed her...he was aware of what did, if he didn't.
2. 27th-28th, enough time for him to get back to Florida.
3. See #1, recklessness either way.
4. I do not believe it was premeditated.
5. Nature: One of the dark triad of personality disorders native to him. Nurture: A parent with one of the dark triad of personality disorders. IMO it's more often nature not properly addressed by nurturers.

Interesting analysis on 5). Agree. Feel it’s his mom. They are like one and apron strings never cut. She nurtured and enabled his dark side.

This is what Gabby's dad said about Brian to Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil
How well did you know him, and what was he like?

Gabby's dad
I'd met him a bunch of times, you know. I'd never liked any of Gabby's boyfriend's, let's be real. I've never actually called any of her boyfriends by their real name, ever. I've always made up names for them, to be honest with you.

Dr. Phil
What was your name for Brian?

Gabby's dad
Brianna.

Dr. Phil
Why that?

Gabby's dad
Why not? I always tried to use the female version of the boyfriend's names. Just to intimidate them a little bit.

Dr. Phil
How did he respond?

Gabby's dad
They laughed. As the years progressed I think she prepared them for when they met me.

Brian was always respectful you know? I can't say he wasn't.

Dr. Phil
What kind of relationship did they have, how would you describe it?

Gabby's dad
There's no red flags that stuck out. Nothing that popped in my head that this boy, you know is not a good boy. If there were I would've discouraged going on the trip.

(later in interview)

Dr. Phil
Did you ever witness them fighting?

Gabby's dad
No.

Dr. Phil
Did she ever talk to you about them fighting?

Gabby's dad
No.

(later in interview)

Dr. Phil
Were you aware of the engagement and did you go along with it, were you ok with it?

Gabby's dad
Yeah, yeah. Listen you know, at the end of the day if my daughter's going to be happy and she loves you and you love her, which is what I saw, I'm okay. That's all I care about and you know that's it, my daughter's happiness.

This is what Gabby's dad said about Brian to Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil
How well did you know him, and what was he like?

Gabby's dad
I'd met him a bunch of times, you know. I'd never liked any of Gabby's boyfriend's, let's be real. I've never actually called any of her boyfriends by their real name, ever. I've always made up names for them, to be honest with you.

Dr. Phil
What was your name for Brian?

Gabby's dad
Brianna.

Dr. Phil
Why that?

Gabby's dad
Why not? I always tried to use the female version of the boyfriend's names. Just to intimidate them a little bit.

Dr. Phil
How did he respond?

Gabby's dad
They laughed. As the years progressed I think she prepared them for when they met me.

Brian was always respectful you know? I can't say he wasn't.

Dr. Phil
What kind of relationship did they have, how would you describe it?

Gabby's dad
There's no red flags that stuck out. Nothing that popped in my head that this boy, you know is not a good boy. If there were I would've discouraged going on the trip.

(later in interview)

Dr. Phil
Did you ever witness them fighting?

Gabby's dad
No.

Dr. Phil
Did she ever talk to you about them fighting?

Gabby's dad
No.

(later in interview)

Dr. Phil
Were you aware of the engagement and did you go along with it, were you ok with it?

Gabby's dad
Yeah, yeah. Listen you know, at the end of the day if my daughter's going to be happy and she loves you and you love her, which is what I saw, I'm okay. That's all I care about and you know that's it, my daughter's happiness.

Wow. So insightful and telling. I imagine Mom would have a slightly different version of it all.

I think given the immediate ruling of homicide, even with the advanced state of decomposition, the COD was something pretty clear. Gunshot or knife wounds, numerous skull fractures from blunt force trauma, a fractured hyoid bone from strangulation. Something along those lines for them to have determined homicide without hesitation.

JMO

tbh, if it turns out to be a gunshot, I'll be back at square one. I definitely don't think he would have shot her.

There has to be an unarguable reason as to why the FBI definitively stated that Gabby's death was homicide, and not , say, accidental, reckless negligence , some animal attack, manslaughter, etc. or even her own suicide.

And the categorical statement was swift. It didn't take months, it took a day, at most. It would be reasonable to conclude that the manner of her death was obvious, perhaps, since her murderer knew her, her face was somewhat disfigured, a sure sign that the murderer knows his/her target. Something she would not do to herself, something only someone else could do, once she was incapacitated.

It would be unlikely that the FBI would call it so firmly if there was any doubts. All eyes were upon them, no room for mistake.

This. I think he wanted her life. He wanted her money, her vehicle, her family, her friends, her future...he wanted all she had. But he didn't want to earn it for himself, and wanted it all without her. Ergo, I think he murdered her and stole her stuff. :( I think he killed her with the half-baked idea he could just step into her shoes and go one like nothing happened. Of course, once she was gone the reality of what he'd done fell on him like a ton of bricks, and he had no idea what to do except go home to his family.

I'm still open to other scenarios or other possibilities -he's innocent 'til proven guilty.

He even stole her ideas and dreams.

What's the significance of Gabby's DNA being transferred from Brian to the camper? I guess I'm not seeing why there would be a problem with Gabby's DNA being on Brian. I'm not getting this one.
FBI went into the camper today, came out with a small sample jar, speculation was if they were gathering DNA evidence, if Gabby’s DNA would be in there. My comment was it could be there because of transfer DNA.

I think Gabby was killed on the 27th - MOO, and here's why.

Like the posts before me, this too is speculation only:

I think something happened on the way to Yellowstone. The Victor, Idaho merchant stated that they told her on the 25th or 26th that they were headed to YSNP and she advised them to enter by the west entrance.
Business owner says Gabby Petito and boyfriend made stop in Victor after visiting Wyoming - East Idaho News This entrance would be via West Yellowstone, MT. Google Maps

MOO and speculation: They could have been in Victor, ID on either the 25th or the 26th and this speculative timeline might still work since Victor, ID is only 1.5 hrs from Spread Creek per Google maps.

Something happened between them after they left the shop in Victor, ID that made them turn back. Don't know if it was right away, or further along the route to YS, but Jessica Schultz saw the van back at Spread Creek on the evening of the 26th. Gabby Petito case: What one witness saw near the Tetons may help FBI unravel mystery

Again with the MOO and speculation and IMO caveats, whatever it was that occurred between them may have still been festering on the 27th - through their time at Merry Piglets TexMex.

Speculative conclusion: whatever happened to Gabby happened on the 27th or the latest the 28th. By the 29th he was already trying to discard evidence, cover his tracks, set up alibis, and hitch rides back, and departing for North Port, FL. MOO, JMO, IMO, and all other acronyms to convey this is not being stated as fact.
Victor ID is right near the Tetons. IIRC the couple was driving from SLC. Victor is right near where you enter the park.
"We're headed to Yellowstone" can mean so many things! It doesn't mean there's nothing on the way! Going through Jackson and the Tetons is maybe the most popular way to get to the Yellowstone entrance. It does NOT involve going to West Yellowstone. In fact, why, if you were going to Yellowstone from Victor, would you drive to West Yellowstone, then all the way south through the Park, then to the dispersed camping in Bridger-Teton? This takes HOURS. Not only that, you'd have to go west-ish, back to a road you'd already been on maybe an hour before (Route 20). If you'd wanted to go to West Yellowstone, you'd not end up anywhere near Victor. It might even not fit the 25th-26th timeline if they went to West Yellowstone.
Again on the HOURS it would take to drive from Victor-West Yellowstone-Bridger-Teton...... Say, it takes 5.5 hours. You are passing some of the most amazing sights in the universe. You're going to drive right by painted pots, and steamy vent holes, and burbling meadows? You're not going to stop and gaze at a bison? There's no way 5.5 hours on Google Maps would be a realistic 5.5 hours for a normal human being, especially someone who was wanting to show off the charms of a van life!
IMO the couple was headed to the Yellowstone, but they were doing other things on the way, e.g. camping near the Tetons. Either the shop person mis-remembered or misunderstood, or the reporting agency did.

In my experience, number 5 has not frequently been true, whether it's positive or negative treatment. I've seen some men treat their mothers like gold but treat the woman in his life like boo and vice versa. I'm not saying it never happens that they treat the female like they treat their mothers. But I've just seen a lot of varying treatment in those cases.

For sure, and though I answered #5 with the "nature v. nurture" argument, I know first hand that sometimes evil people come from the most wonderful, kind, caring families who just never developed the skillset to deal with a seriously deranged child/young adult.

No! It was reported that she climbed through the drivers window by an eye-witness.

I've been confused about that so did a bit of research. According to the police report she opened the door and climbed over Brian.

“He grabbed her face and pushed her back as she pressed upon him and the van, he tried to lock her out and succeeded except for his driver’s door, she opened that and forced her way over him and into the vehicle before it drove off,” the report continued."

Utah police broke law when Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie were allowed to continue trip | National Post

Is there a different report else where? TIA

bbm

Just a thought:

is it possible that Gabby could have been locked in the van by BL at any point?

There was only 1 key - was it possible that BL could've locked all the doors from the outside and left Gabby in the back (or front), unable to get out?
No. All vehicles, outside of specifically fitted police cars, can be unlocked from the inside.

I wouldn't hang my hat on witness testimony regarding the dates neighbors may have seen BL... people have terrible recall, and witness testimony is highly unreliable.
I hear ya.
But my advice when you encounter eyewitness reports is not to be too quick to dismiss.
My first step is usually to look for clues that contradict.
Even social media reaction can sometime be helpful. But also local media and LE.
Did what the 'eyewitness' say lead to any changes by LE or the FBI suggesting an increase in credibility?
Here's the interview with almost 4,000 comments.
Opinions vary.
At this point this seems reasonable that people are arguing her comments pro & con.
I put her (Karyn Aberts) at 50-50 she saw BL after the camping trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni