SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I 100 percent agree it would have barely been dark (as many of us discussed months back in the threads) and this is important.

I had originally researched to find similar cases and the most similar one I found where a family member was not the perpetrator, it was a couple of meth heads who robbed a father and daughter and shot them. Given the meth problem in the area, I was heavily weighing this option, but the fact that it wasn’t REALLY dark yet made a big difference in my thinking. Of course fast forward three months and we have uncovered a lot of additional info. But I just wanted to emphasize, that this was very early for any crime that desired to be under cover of darkness. It reads more like a very sloppy and extended cocktail hour gone wrong. As much as I like my old meth robbery theory. JMO.

I agree that in a town or city 9-9:30 PM it would be barely dark. In the desert it would be almost daylight. But way out in the woods, surrounded by forests with very tall trees and dense undergrowth (Kudzu) no close houses, at least a quarter mile off the road, 9-9:30 PM would have been very very dark.

JMO

I also have seen the cleared areas in aerial photos. But what we need to be asking ourselves is this. If PM got between them to try to shove the barrel of a shotgun away from his mother, and MM saw her son killed, is she going to take off running in a cleared or lighted area where she can be easily seen and shot? Or is she going to head for the darker trees area where it would be harder for someone with a gun trying to kill her to see her. Me? I would head for the trees so I would have a better chance of hiding and getting away. But then, that's just me.

JMO

It's a good question.

I don't think we've heard who was shot first (which might give the second person extra reaction time). I know there was a mention somewhere of how far apart PM and MM were when found, but there was also a suggestion that there may have been some staging or changes to the scene (?). I also wonder how accurate the time of death window is. It's kind of odd to me that's it's pretty specific down to a 30-minute window (and that info was released pretty quickly, if I remember correctly), yet almost no other info has been released.

Running to the treeline would make sense. It's also possible she was trying to run to her car or the house. And who really knows how you would react in a situation like that where you may have only one to two seconds to decide on your plan?

I certainly don't know. Just guessing like everyone else....

MOO

I agree that in a town or city 9-9:30 PM it would be barely dark. In the desert almost daylight. But way out in the woods, surrounded by forests with very tall trees and dense undergrowth (Kudzu) no close houses, at least a quarter mile off the road, 9-9:30 PM would have been very very dark.

JMO
Interesting. I live in the south on the east coast, but on the water. I tried to let the kids stay up and catch fire flies a couple nights in June but we had to wait so late for it to get dark, we had to settle for dusk. It really didn’t get dark til closer to 10pm. But the sky is really huge here on the coast, so it is very possible a non coastal fully wooded property could experience darkness earlier.

ETA - just to illustrate fwiw, I found a photo taken June 5th at 8:53pm in the neighbor’s yard on the east coast in the south. The sun hasn’t sunk yet. Still has a good 25 minutes and then another 30 minutes before it gets dark by us on the East coast. If you google, it says sunset was 8:21 that night. Imagine my kids disappointment that it still wasn’t dark at 9. :)

Attachments

• 51050398-4F88-430B-BD95-D0D2D0608810.jpeg
    51050398-4F88-430B-BD95-D0D2D0608810.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I am from Oklahoma and us Okie's have an accent all our own. It's real down home country. That's why (I am bragging here) so many country singers are from Oklahoma. Vince Gill, Toby Keith, Reba McIntire, Carrie Underwood, Garth Brooks, Ronnie Dunn ....... and on and on and on. It's very hard for us to understand people from the deep south or far north or Californians. lol The south talks too slow for us and the north talks too fast and those Cali folks just talk too funny for us.

No offense meant to anyone.

JMO
Blake Shelton, ;) haha....

I think it makes sense that PEOPLE hit a nerve. It goes to motive in murder(s). That conviction has got to be the one that Alex and his attorneys fear most. Not the housekeepers death, boat crash, SS or embezzlement. They are planning on blaming everything on "opioids”. First Degree Murder(s) are not easily excused.

I guess what it really shows is that they are preparing a defense in real-time. Part of their defense is that of re-writing MMs history. She is not here to do it herself.

I imagine they also have some excellent flood lights on the various buildings, as well as around the kennels.

But, again, I don't think I have seen mention of lighting on the grounds. That might also have made a difference.

While on a beef cattle farm in Va, the power poles run to the owners house, their driveway was over a mile off the rd. They had the lights taken out/turned off because the cows would congregate under them. The other issue is skeets, mosquitoes are drawn to light and other bugs.
So lots of ppl in rural areas keep lights out.

Jmo

Time stamps without a linked file can add to the confusion since people are listening to the 911 call from various sources, eg YouTube videos, podcasts on various podcast platforms, etc.

In lieu of linking the audio file I listen to, I’ll describe what I hear and when I hear it. (I posted about this yesterday or day before, but I’m on my phone and it’s easier for me to just type it again than try to figure out how to bring that post forward.)

What I Hear:
What I hear AM say is, “I tried to check for a pulse, but I can’t get a pulse.” As I said in my previous post, in Southern dialects “for a” is often combined into something that sounds like “fuuh” or “fu-uh.”

When I Hear It:
I hear AM say it as the dispatcher simultaneously says, “Ok, and is anyone else supposed to be at your house?”

I just listened to an audio of the call. I heard something similar to you but I didn't hear him ever saying pulse, it's like he was fishing for that word, couldn't come up with it, and instead said he had touched them to see if they were breathing. MOO.

I am clueless as to where people think they hear AM referencing Paul being involved, but I also have not listened repeatedly, trying to tease out extra details.

While on a beef cattle farm in Va, the power poles run to the owners house, their driveway was over a mile off the rd. They had the lights taken out/turned off because the cows would congregate under them. The other issue is skeets, mosquitoes are drawn to light and other bugs.
So lots of ppl in rural areas keep lights out.

Jmo

My grandparents had rural land (in the South, mountain area) with one of those big power poles and kept the light on. (But they didn't have cattle to congregate under it.) You could see a lot on a dark night, especially if you were in the dark looking out. Many others in rural areas I have been in (SC, NC) do the same (at least for rural homes with property, but not grazing animals). MOO.

@BrookeButlerTV

In response to@people’s
claim that Maggie #Murdaugh had seen a divorce lawyer six weeks before she and Paul were murdered, a spokesperson for Alex Murdaugh gave the following statement to WJCL:

"The most recent allegations by People Magazine regarding the state of Maggie and Alex Murdaugh’s marriage are totally inconsistent with what we have been told by friends and family members. Also, we have reviewed many years of text messages on Alex’s phone, and the conversations between Alex and Maggie portray a very loving relationship.
It is our hope that the media will continue to focus on covering the investigation of the person or people responsible for the murder of Maggie and Paul and not reporting salacious stories with no credible sources connected to the Murdaugh family”
Who was AM’s spokesperson here? If it was Hootnanny & Co. — probably should be taken with grain of salt. JMO.

Last edited:
@BrookeButlerTV

In response to@people’s
claim that Maggie #Murdaugh had seen a divorce lawyer six weeks before she and Paul were murdered, a spokesperson for Alex Murdaugh gave the following statement to WJCL:

"The most recent allegations by People Magazine regarding the state of Maggie and Alex Murdaugh’s marriage are totally inconsistent with what we have been told by friends and family members. Also, we have reviewed many years of text messages on Alex’s phone, and the conversations between Alex and Maggie portray a very loving relationship.
It is our hope that the media will continue to focus on covering the investigation of the person or people responsible for the murder of Maggie and Paul and not reporting salacious stories with no credible sources connected to the Murdaugh family”
I believe (IMO) that People said their source for yesterday’s article is a person who is close to MM. People Magazine cite her as an anonymous source but the source is not anonymous to People. Once they vet the source and determine that the source is legit, using a variety of methods, People ran with the story.

MM’s family must be so frustrated with the lack of progress in finding her killer but also the damage to her reputation, Alex’s latest arrests and misdeeds are reflected, by some, on her.

If I were her sister, mother or friend, I’d want to scream to the world, she was not involved in AM’s opioid addiction, stealing from the law firm, cheating the housekeeper’s sons, etc. I’m betting that source was very credible and has wanted to speak for a long time.

His defense for all charges: opioid addiction for decades

I just listened to an audio of the call. I heard something similar to you but I didn't hear him ever saying pulse, it's like he was fishing for that word, couldn't come up with it, and instead said he had touched them to see if they were breathing. MOO.

I am clueless as to where people think they hear AM referencing Paul being involved, but I also have not listened repeatedly, trying to tease out extra details.

My grandparents had rural land (in the South, mountain area) with one of those big power poles and kept the light on. (But they didn't have cattle to congregate under it.) You could see a lot on a dark night, especially if you were in the dark looking out. Many others in rural areas I have been in (SC, NC) do the same (at least for rural homes with property, but not grazing animals). MOO.

If you really want to get an accurate lighting estimation you also need to factor in the moon. It’s dark as pitch in the country when lights are out, UNLESS there is a full moon, or close to it! You can see your shadow. It is amazing.

If you really want to get an accurate lighting estimation you also need to factor in the moon. It’s dark as pitch in the country when lights are out, UNLESS there is a full moon, or close to it! You can see your shadow. It is amazing.

Apparently there was very little moonlight that night.

Today's Moon Phase!

The very same part of the call that some people think they hear AM say something about checking a pulse, other people think they hear AM say something like this: "For god's sake Paul why did you have to get involved?" Listening with ear buds/phones may help. JMO.

Who was AM’s spokesperson here? If it was Hootnanny & Co. — probably should be taken with grain of salt. JMO.
Someone named Amanda Loveday:

"On Thursday, Alex's spokesman Amanda Loveday called the claims 'totally inconsistent with what we have been told by friends and family members.'

'We have reviewed many years of text messages on Alex’s phone, and the conversations between Alex and Maggie portray a very loving relationship,' Loveday said.

'It is our hope that the media will continue to focus on covering the investigation of the person or people responsible for the murder of Maggie and Paul and not reporting salacious stories with no credible sources connected to the Murdaugh family.'"
Alex Murdaugh's wife Maggie 'met with divorce attorney just six weeks before she was killed' | Daily Mail Online

Apparently Loveday is a communications strategist and she released the statement about the $100,00 reward in June.
Murdaugh Murders: Family Releases Statement On $100,000 Reward

The very same part of the call that some people think they hear AM say something about checking a pulse, other people think they hear AM say something like this: "For god's sake Paul why did you have to get involved?" Listening with ear buds/phones may help. JMO.

I have listened a couple of times now with headphones. All I can pick out him saying while the dispatcher is talking is basically, "They're not breathing." It sounds like he says it twice to me, along with some of the breathlessness and moaning he did throughout the call.

I am not able to hear the Paul comment that others have mentioned.

Imo.

And before 4157 Moselle Road in Islandton, S.C. became the site of one of South Carolina’s highest-profile homicides – the June 7, 2021 murders of 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh and 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh – this sprawling hunting property on the sleepy Salkehatchie River was sold to Alex Murdaugh by Boulware’s wife, Jeannine Morris Boulware.

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Alex Murdaugh’s Ties To Alleged Drug Smuggler Uncovered

As noted earlier, according to Colleton county property records Murdaugh paid Boulware’s wife five dollars for Moselle. However, the transfer deed (.pdf) dated April 15, 2013 referenced the “exchange of like-kind replacement property” totaling $730,000 – part of a “multi-property, non-simultaneous, tax-free exchange transaction” entered into between Boulware and Murdaugh. Typically such transactions – which are authorized by section 1031 of the U.S. internal revenue code – allow the seller to avoid capital gains taxes so long as they invest any proceeds of the sale into the purchase of other properties.

Snipped from above

“exchange of like-kind replacement property” totaling $730,000 – part of a “multi-property, non-simultaneous, tax-free exchange transaction” entered into between Boulware and Murdaugh.

Wonder what property J boulware got.
An estate called “Bupkus.”
I think it makes sense that PEOPLE hit a nerve. It goes to motive in murder(s). That conviction has got to be the one that Alex and his attorneys fear most. Not the housekeepers death, boat crash, SS or embezzlement. They are planning on blaming everything on "opioids”. First Degree Murder(s) are not easily excused.

I guess what it really shows is that they are preparing a defense in real-time. Part of their defense is that of re-writing MMs history. She is not here to do it herself.
apropos of nothin, Alec looks more like Chad Daybell in every picture.

Did any neighbors report hearing gunshots that night?

I know there weren't houses super nearby, but sounds carry.

Gunfire is pretty common here in rural areas and I can’t imagine anyone would have been alarmed. Somebody may have reported hearing shots after this news came out but LE isn’t telling that either if reports were made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member