CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Note:

Several posts have been removed for discussing a social media rumor. Information from social media is not allowed in thread unless it is posted on a victim or suspects public page, MSM, or LE Page, and can be linked via public url.

Social Media Rules

ADMIN NOTE:

Some posts have been removed.

Stop the back and forth bickering, snark, and combative nonsense in this thread or Thread Reply Bans or Time Outs will be issued.

Thanks.

ETA: Also, a reminder that ALL images require a link to the source.

A MOD WARNING

Hey folks,
This thread is veering into a snarky debate about your individual opinions. Opinions are welcome at Websleuths IF you clearly state that it is your opinion (MHO, MOO etc.) within your post, AND, your opinion is based on established facts in this case. What is NOT welcome is bickering, aggressive debating, and personalizing. These things are violations of the TOS we all agreed to when we joined.

If you disagree with a post, simply state your own opinion without calling out another member. Do not quote a post for the purpose of tearing it apart. Do not analyze others’ choice of wording. When there has been no official COD this tragedy, opinions are all we have. We have to be able to say them safely here without being attacked. Be careful NOT to victim-blame these parents because none of us know what was in their minds as they embarked on this hike.

This is a very sad case, and it naturally evokes much emotion. Please practice kindness and compassion on this thread as you manage your feelings about it. This is a warning to keep the TOS in mind as you post. Further TOS violations will result in more removed posts and possible temporary Time Outs for those who ignore the warning.

Finally, please use the REPORT button on any post you think is questionable. If you choose to reply to such posts, you risk having your post removed as well and more.

Questions? Mods and Admins are happy to help. Just shoot any of us a PM.

Thank you for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly.

CocoChanel
Administrator/Moderator

THANK YOU ALL for your efforts to keep this discussion respectful and responsible according to the TOS we all agreed to when we joined. There is room on Websleuths for various opinions as long as they are expressed as OPINION, and done with courtesy and compassion for the victims, their friends and family, and other members here. You all are achieving that. WELL DONE!

A note-
- any member who has special expertise in a specific profession may apply for Verified Insider status at Websleuths. Members often mention their backgrounds as they are discussing cases, but unless they are approved as Verified Insiders in that field, we cannot assume they have special knowledge in that area unless they are a VI. Please be careful not to put extra weight on their statements without their verification. That is not fair to them, or in line with our fact-based principles on Websleuths.

As always, applying for Verified Insider status as a professional or someone close to the case is encouraged but not mandatory. There are a number of valid reasons why someone would choose not to become a VI, and we respect that. It is solely the member’s choice. Just keep that in mind when posing questions to and emphasizing posts by unverified members.

Thanks all, and carry on with the excellent and very enlightening discussion you are engaging in here.

From the latest update release, they're still waiting on the toxic algae results.

I still have much doubt that drinking a little amount of toxic algae would kill the healthy couple that fast.
If they were lot older or had some serious debilitating health issues? maybe.

They had to be drinking a quite amount of water with high concentration of algae bloom or cynobacteria to die from it IMO.

Wouldn't a high level of cynobacteria presence be also detected easily in the autopsies?

I’m most eager for the remaining tox’ results. Specifically, from the water container the couple had. Sheriff B’s reluctance to address completed and outstanding tests is curious, imo.
I find it entirely reasonable to believe somehow the water in the bladder was contaminated with a still unknown fatal toxin prior to their trip, and 3/4 consumed it, the fourth unable to continue on succumbed to heat and dehydration.
Since interviews are still being conducted, I rule out environmental factors.
To be clear, I am not implicating anyone, this is speculation and I have no idea where Gerrish-Chung filled the bladder. Possibly someone had used it before them and some type of unknown contaminant remained in it.
All MOO/hypothetical

Here’s the list of things ruled out as of today, 09/30/21
Gun or any other type of weapon
Lightning Strike
Carbon Monoxide
Carbon Dioxide
Cyanide Exposure
Illegal Drugs / Alcohol
Suicide

more: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article254655352.html
I was just going to post the same thing from this Yahoo article, with police interview. The officer did mention that natural related events such as heat and dehydration have not been ruled out yet. He said it was a demanding hike. I just wonder if it was a combination of things. Swimming in toxic algae and the gas it emits, and the high temp in exposed sun (your body heats up fast).
Cause of deaths of California family on hike remains mystery

I was just going to post the same thing from this Yahoo article, with police interview. The officer did mention that natural related events such as heat and dehydration have not been ruled out yet. He said it was a demanding hike. I just wonder if it was a combination of things. Swimming in toxic algae and the gas it emits, and the high temp in exposed sun (your body heats up fast).
Cause of deaths of California family on hike remains mystery
We need an ongoing list of remaining possibilities. Moo

I would like to commend @SpideySense and the other lighting enthusiast (can't remember the handle) for the great sleuthing. You get a Runner Up Award. You put a lot of work into it, and made a persuasive argument. I learned a lot about lightning because you made me do it. I disagreed, but I admire your sleuthing skills, you are both really smart people. @SpideySense I only admire you more because you jumped right in with your "eat crow" post. I will also eat crow if it's not heat stroke.

I would like to commend @SpideySense and the other lighting enthusiast (can't remember the handle) for the great sleuthing. You get a Runner Up Award. You put a lot of work into it, and made a persuasive argument. I learned a lot about lightning because you made me do it. I disagreed, but I admire your sleuthing skills, you are both really smart people. @SpideySense I only admire you more because you jumped right in with your "eat crow" post. I will also eat crow if it's not heat stroke.
Hear, hear! And seconded on all counts :)!

responding to @RedHaus from previous thread -- yes, I suppose I was being naïve about pesticides in that I was only thinking about their legal use. I do agree that a much wider risk applies to offlabel use, including carelessness, accident, and intentional harm. I just had a hard time picturing more-or-less sudden death from them, unless they were directly consumed in quantity.

I still think it's unlikely to play a role here but I hear what you're saying and respect and trust your knowledge.

*** I also mentioned multiple times about hoping LE had tested the soil around the family's location. But really I hope LE tested soil along the entire length of trail the family is presumed to have covered.

Because if they did react to something toxic, or if there is evidence such as vomit or other bodily fluids, that might have happened prior to the family's last location.

I don't want to make the mistake of assuming that whatever happened to them, happened to them at that spot. That's as far as they got, but the problem, and possible evidence of the problem, could have started at an earlier time and different location. MOO

I would like to commend @SpideySense and the other lighting enthusiast (can't remember the handle) for the great sleuthing. You get a Runner Up Award. You put a lot of work into it, and made a persuasive argument. I learned a lot about lightning because yonu made me do it. I disagreed, but I admire your sleuthing skills, you are both really smart people. @SpideySense I only admire you more because you jumped right in with your "eat crow" post. I will also eat crow if it's not heat stroke.
I think the other lightning proponent was @Blackkettle. Some pretty impressive weather sleuthing.

I was on about the lightning (along with a few other posters, e.g. @Seni ) at the beginning of Thread #1. I've been in and out since, but I'm irritated to find out my ahead-of-its-time, cutting-edge, et al., BRILLIANT, astute, remarkable, idea has been nuked by LE. Sigh.
All signs are now pointing to........
IMO LE did the diplomatic thing and said everything the cause couldn't be rather than what no one else wants to say because it seems just too crazy, namely, the family went out hiking that trail, in that heat, for a good length of time. No one wants to believe they made that choice. But from the long list of non-causes, it would seem that's where we are.

If the bladder had not been thoroughly cleaned from previous use, would deadly bacteria grow?
Some pretty funky bacteria could grow in one but it seems unlikely any of those would incapacitate a family together at the same time. More likely it would lead to GI issues.

That said, is it a possible homicide scenario where someone said, "Here, take my camelback with you on the hike tomorrow. I just filled it with fresh water", and gave them a water supply with an unknown toxin? Were they ever known to use a Camelback? I have wondered how exactly a Camelback could be used together with a backpack style baby carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member