Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know how much money others could have provided him with. But a cruise doesn't make sense. Someone goes into all those cabins every morning to clean, and he has to eat with many other people or grab food off the buffet and chow down on deck or back in his room. Much too public.

With regards to the daily room cleanings, if it's anything like current hotel protocols, they won't clean the room daily. I'm in hotels nearly every weekend, and sometimes for a week at a time. Since Covid, housekeeping doesn't enter rooms except to clean after checkout. I also presume these ship lines offer some form of Room Service.

I've not been on a crusie (other than aboard a US Aircraft Carrier), so I don't know the level of connection to the outside world. I would imagine they try to operate similar to how Vegas does. No clocks, completely submersive shipboard entertainment, i.e., no need to access outside because we provide you all the entertainment you need.

In any case, Cruises are highly regulated, and require to much documentation to make a hasty get away possible, IMO.

I agree. I know BL was explaining it as a cooling off period for them, when in fact it was him controlling her compliance, not de-escalation as he claimed.

He needed her to behave herself and do as he SAID and if she didn't, the threats of leaving her on the side of the road were real to Gabby.

She was never the aggressor in the stop on August 12th. IMO She was reacting and defending herself from his mental and emotional abuse, and maybe even physically trying to defend herself, which added up makes her the victim, all day everyday.

When that tape was first released as LE walked up to her side of the van and before he said a single word, I knew this guy had done something to her, instantly. It comes from a lifetime of seeing it happen to others, hearing about it, helping other's and personal experience. I have a PhD in abuse and all the signs of it.

It was sickening to watch and it's a good example for future calls LE come in contact with dealing with abuse victims. It shows abuse 101-1,000. IMO

What I first noticed on this tape, in the very beginning the camera is on BL sitting in the driver's seat, with his arm on top of the steering, Gabby is sitting in the passenger seat, she has her hands in her lap looking down. I believe BL's eyes are directly on Gabby, this is why I believe he is verbally abusive to her, and had been for a very long time. It's his stare, she knows what he expects from her, he doesn't need to talk. When I first watched this tape I had the audio off. I wanted to watch their behavior without any words spoken from anyone. I truly hope this whole tragedy will bring awareness not only to all the missing out there but also to all DV victims. RIP sweet Gabby.

"Brian Laundrie's last contact with sister Cassandra in question as manhunt intensifies
It's unclear as to when Brian Laundrie’'s sister, Cassandra Laundrie, last saw her fugitive brother wanted on debit card fraud charges and named as a person of interest in the death of Gabby Petito.

Cassandra Laundrie told ABC's "Good Morning America" in an interview published on Sept. 17 that the last time she spoke to her brother was when he returned home to Florida without Petito. That date, according to the family, was on September 1. But the Laundrie family's attorney, Steven Bertolino, says the last time Cassandra Laundrie saw Brian was five days later, on September 6. "
Brian Laundrie's last contact with sister Cassandra in question as manhunt intensifies

IMO and IME, POSSIBLY. I won't claim to be an 'expert' but I do work in the field.
Sorry this is long but I've been wanting to get it out and this question has been asked 100x and I have minute so here you go -

The officer was seriously mistaken in the legal definition of
"Primary aggressor" - The individual who poses the most serious, ongoing threat who might not be the initial aggressor in a specific incident.
This is on every DV training I've ever seen for LE though the wording may vary slightly.

The job of LE in a DV call isn't simply to evaluate what happened in that specific incident but to ALSO evaluate what is going before and after such incidents and in the relationship as a whole. Who and what is causing the escalation of violence. Protocol for LE on DV calls includes lengthy instruction on how to evaluate for co-occurring crime.

Did they even ASK if they had any weapons in the van? Did they ask if BL scares her? Did they ask if she feels safe with him in the van? Did they ask about escalation? Verbal harassment (ie; does he call you names?) Sexual abuse? Why was locking her out of the van in the desert 1000s of miles away from her support network not considered a serious threat in itself? Him attempting to lock her out should be considered primary aggression. If he's threatening to lock her out and leave her - he clearly is the one that is posing the most serious and ongoing threat. Through that lens GP's actions in scratching at him become reactive abuse. Her emotional state becomes abuse victim rather than a mental health episode.

In addition - ignoring GP's claims of how he grabbed her face is against every single bit of DV training that exists. She should have been GRILLED on that. Does he grab her face often? Has he ever (not just that day) grabbed her throat or even put his hand around it? Has he ever choked her or held her down by her neck? Victims who have been choked once are 750 percent more likely to be killed by their abusers.

So aside from correctly evaluating what should they have done?
Had a victim advocate respond. It's imperative in DV situations that there is victim centered and trauma informed support. I do believe that if GP had been given access to a good advocate it's quite possible that she would have revealed more and that advocate could have given her resources and/or connected her with family in order to get her out of the situation. An advocate along with LE can give a victim assurance that if they WANT to get away from the person that they will work in conjunction to make sure that happens (including helping to obtain financial assistance where needed) in a safe manner and that the abuser will not be able to get to them.

As it was GP was left with the knowledge that he was going to be right back with her the next day and it was further framed as "she was in trouble". NO WAY was she going to report anything at that stage. That's about the most terrifying thing a victim of DV can be told. "We're going to separate you ... (heart soars) ... for the night (utter terror)."

And OF COURSE it's possible that GP would have gone right back to BL even with a victim advocate and all the empowerment in the world involved. But it's ALSO possible that with victim centered support she would have been empowered to leave the situation and it would have turned out quite differently.

And if you want to dive into how well victim advocacy /outreach works (https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/238480.pdf ) See the link.

I also attached an image from said link. When women who live with their abuser are assigned to outreach programs a guilty verdict is entered in court 100% of the time. That falls to 33-59% with referral advocacy or no outreach programs.
Love this post. Thank you so much! Very insightful!

Totally normal...

Emotions running high again outside the Laundrie house. This woman flew here from Pennsylvania.
View attachment 315694

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1444024206883270674?s=21

Not a day goes by that I don't think to myself: "I've never directly communicated to my family that they are not allowed to commit murder, and if they ever do, they are not, under any circumstances, to come to my house." Might have something to discuss at the dinner table tonight, because there is nothing happening at the Laundrie home the last few weeks that I want to have in my life.

Yes, and I'm not certain it really was over the phone. I wonder if it was actually just her trying to get the car keys to prevent him from leaving. I know she was holding her phone and so did the witness just misinterpret what the fight was over? Obviously rhetorical ? as we don't know. But this was the first occasion we know of where he felt comfortable escalating in public and he acknowledges he was the one who got LOUD and was trying to lock her out. Wonder if this was really the first time? When did his behavior escalate?
I have so many question I want answered here also. Im just worried as more time goes on that maybe we wont ever get the answers

I’d imagine it’s exhausting. I’m wayyyy too lazy and a creature of habits to ever manage this for myself.
If you had money, with a pandemic, you could go into a smaller town far away from Florida, and use Visa gift cards to have everything delivered to your door via instacart! They drop it off, they leave, you pick it up! You would stay inside and most likely go undetected for awhile. The problem would be needing fake ID for medical care. I think you could get by for quite awhile! Then, move out in the night to the next place. The money being able to be received by BL would be an obstacle.

am i wrong or should she not have said that part about burning the house down...this is certainly getting out of hand she wasnt so upset that she couldnt stop and spell her name out for the reporter, I just cant right now!!! time for a break for a few hours!

Just saw the live video on Brian Entin's page where, I guess, a YouTuber by the name of Molly Golightly has flown down to protest outside of the Laundrie house.

I'll be honest, at this rate, I think BL's parents are going to lose it before they find BL. Whatever their side of the story is going to come out in a fit of pent of rage in their front yard soon. Entin was on Banfield last night saying he saw them mouthing stuff like *advertiser censored** when they saw the reporters yesterday... they're wearing down.

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1444024206883270674
TBH, IMO maybe that's good because the Laundrie parents and sister might spill the beans from all the pressure. We just want the truth

Rose, Gabby's friend, said that he had episodes. I'll take her word for it. For now.

He had "episodes" of insomnia, hallucinations and hearing voices, according to Rose. Now, that being said, most people who think they're "hearing voices" aren't, at least not in the psychiatric sense. And sleep deprivation can cause hallucinations. But what would cause that degree of insomnia?

It sounds to me as if BL had a lot of excuses for his behavior, which apparently Gabby believed and told her friend about. We haven't discussed this, but one reason a young woman stays with a difficult, tantrum-prone, easily frustrated young man is because she feels he has some kind of "issue" where he "needs help," and she wants to help. I think BL was highly dependent on Gabby in so many ways...
Ate you laying out a disturbed mind defense? Hallucinations and hearing voices is pretty serious.

This is not going to end well - if more people start taking cues from Bullhorn folks and this lady....I get that people are upset and want justice for Gabby. We all do in here, but I don't think the way they're going about it is the right way.

Also - the Laundries like to call 911.
The lady that had the bull horn most of the week…if you close your eyes & listen to her, she sounds identical to Nancy Grace. I about fell outta my chair when I heard it the first time.

We don't know how much money others could have provided him with. But a cruise doesn't make sense. Someone goes into all those cabins every morning to clean, and he has to eat with many other people or grab food off the buffet and chow down on deck or back in his room. Much too public.

I was thinking more like some other cases I'm familiar with, where college age people show up at the cruise docks and try to get last minute jobs (especially right now, with COVID and all, it's hard to find people). So he wouldn't have a room of his own and he'd get free passage and food. It's something that many of my students have done here in L.A., I assume it's the same in FL. Very little paperwork taken from them, they often (almost always?) jump ship when they get to a place where they...find new friends...fit in.

Yes, some of them are worried about issues with the law, others are just trying to run away from problems at home. Another tactic is to get on a freighter. Not only that, but some of my students swap ID's with each other to accomplish this. Since they have to write up real world experiences in order to learn any anthropology, I get some really interesting stories, which helps inform other work I do. There are a fairly large number of people in and around major ports in SoCal who are quasi-homeless and pick up work as longshoremen, which can lead to actual employment or to knowing people who work on freighters.

Okay I just got home from doing stuff today. So his sister lied about seeing him TWICE? Super sus. He saw his sister before he went home? Super sus. How come her visit to the camp site wasn’t registered? Or do you not have to register your guests? So she knew where his camp was.. I still stand by the hunch that she’s been dropping off supplies for him. FBI needs to get copies of her cameras to see if she took large quantities of stuff out to her car.

I've been around a few cruise ships, not on them, but taking passengers on short nature tours. In the ships I was around, if a passenger didn't come back in time, the cruise staff noticed, and they arranged alternative transportation to the next port, if possible, as it was easier than getting sued for leaving someone behind. So there are hundreds if not thousands of cruises all over the place, but IMO they watch to see if someone disappears. Too much liability.

His best bet would probably be to take one of the cheap weekend cruises that go to the Bahamas for gambling. Those stay in port for a couple of nights while everybody devotes their time to the slots at Atlantis, or whatever. He could call and say, "Hey, I'm on a winning streak and I'm not coming back. Leave without me." Most of the cheap operators wouldn't even bother to check.

On most of the cruises we've been on, there have been a couple of people who arrange to be off on longer excursions. They skip a port and rejoin the ship later.

Well this is interesting. Not sure how I feel about it. "The forensic death investigation is being overseen by Brent Blue, MD, an emergency room physician -- not a forensic pathologist -- who is the elected coroner of Teton County."
https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/working-stiff/94788?trw=no?xid=nl_popmed_2021-10-01&eun=g1295367d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PopMedicine_100121&utm_term=NL_Gen_Int_PopMedicine_Active

Ummm. Wouldn't the FBI have their own experts involved?

IDK. I don't know much at all about the Bahamas. But I don't understand how they think he might be on a cruise ship. Don't cruises mostly last 5-10 days? And are mostly older people who would watch him like a hawk? IDK. I just doubt a cruise ship. You don't just hop on one. However they had plenty of time to get him fake ID's. If he got a good passport he could be anywhere.

You actually can take gambling cruises to the Bahamas.. It's not far from Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998