Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not at all sure a scream could be heard from the area her body was found...
or a gunshot..
Sometimes there is no scream. When Frazee beat Kelsey to death, no one heard her scream and Frazee told his cohort that all Kelsey said was "please stop".
Patrick Frazee trial: 'Please stop,' Kelsey Berreth pleaded as she was beaten to death, says witness
We expect that someone would scream, but they don't always make much noise. One of the largest hurdles with women who are assaulted is that they often won't scream and it leaves them with incredible amounts of guilt.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../23/why-many-rape-victims-dont-fight-or-yell/

It's quite possible that Gabby froze and didn't make any noise.

I hiked the AT for years before I attempted a thruhike. If you ever walked on the trail at all you have "hiked the AT", if you do longer stretches you have "sectioned hiked the AT" if you did the whole thing you "thruhiked the AT". There is no magic number of miles you have to walk to be able to say you hiked the AT. It not even a strange thing to say.

"Hey, Hyway, old buddy old pal, whacha doing this weekend?"
"I'm hiking the AT"
I think the context is important here, though. There's a difference between "hiking the AT" and hiking the AT. One has done some hiking on it (I fall into this category), and some have legitimately done days or weeks on the trail and are at least somewhat familiar with it. I would not expect someone used to car camping that has only done a couple of day hikes on the AT to really have the advantage that someone who has actually backpacked portions of it over many days has. And I think that's kind of the point being discussed.

It is really stretching it for me to even contemplate that Brian is successfully evading what some poster enthusiastically named as the 'most expert law enforcement org in the world'...( the FBI ) in comparison to his life as is known up until then. He still lived at home . He didn't hold down a full time job, and when he did, he worked for Mum and Dad. He didn't own property, or even his own car. He had one girlfriend. He didn't play team sport of any kind, as far as I can tell.

Gabby is, as far as is known his first and only murder, and it is reasonable to assume, on that basis alone, that it was not tidy, or efficient. That the rangers who went in there could tell it was homicide from 40 paces away.

And then, he doesn't hide her body, ( the evidence of his crime ) , he leaves it in a well used area, and not only leaves her body, but then takes a van registered to her, and her bankcard , and then actually withdraws money from a bankcard that is not his..

Any 24 yr old would know he was leaving a trace on that act alone, using a dead persons card. He knows she is dead, because he has her van, and has departed the scene. Otherwise, he would be looking for her.

It is on this kind of serial repeated persistent cackhanded action of Brian's that I am skeptical of the whole idea of him doing this incredible evasive survival thingy on his own. That would take real instinctual cleverness and forethought, LOTS of forethought, a capacity to judge risk very well.
IMO, he has or at least "had". And, successfully too. Remember, JMO - if reports check out, he had quite the head start. MOO/IMO

They should have arrested one of them according to the laws of Utah on DV cases.
Chief has resigned.
An investigation is ongoing..
Okay. So if GP was arrested she would go to jail, and BL would leave in the van. Neither were arrested and GP left in the van, and BL got a room. Right? I'm not from Utah or Wyoming, and I don't know DV processes and that's why I'm asking. What would have been better? Everyone is saying LE didn't handle it right, so what should they have done differently? Could their actions or mishandling cause what happened to GP later?

I deleted this post as I misunderstood what transpired at the DV call in Moab. Thank you to other posters for clarifying. My understanding now is that Gabby was ultimately not charged, hence there would be not impending court date (which is what my post had speculated about). Thank you fellow WSers for keeping me on track, & sorry for accidentally contributing misinformation!

Last edited:
Hmmmm....

Emphasis mine:

Question: And you said that you spoke to the police because some people said okay with the family – on your side, you communicated with the police.
Cassie Laundrie: Yeah, I spoke to the police the second they called. I called them back right away. We were in Orlando on vacation with my kids to Disney. And we came back to it. [Got out of Dodge after seeing him at your home and again at Fort De Soto? MOO Attempt at formulating an alibi? MOO/IMO]

Question: He just doesn’t want to tell anyone.
Cassie Laundrie: I know it’s because the lawyers, advising them not to say anything, I, I …

Question: And what is your hope right now with the rest of the world.
Cassie Laundrie: I hope she’s safe and unaware and safe. [Unaware???]

Question: And I guess if you are – what is it, just like his sister, the strangest thing for you about all of this, if you had to?
Cassie Laundrie: That I couldn’t talk to her. I wish I could talk to him. [Past tense MOO]

Question: Have you spoken to Gabby’s family?
Cassie Laundrie: No one has contacted me and I’m not sure if it’s appropriate for me to contact them when this is all going on. [Not true unless the Petitos are lying]

“We called Brian, we called the mom, we called the dad, we called the sister, we called every number that we could find,” Petito said. “No phone calls were picked up, no text messages were returned.”
FBI searches Florida home of Petito's boyfriend; autopsy scheduled for Tuesday

Question: Did you know the van was back and you are …?
Cassie Laundry room: No. [short/cuts off Q. MOO]
Question: So you didn’t know he came back without the …?
Cassie Laundrie: I assumed he was home, because that’s what he did when he was – actually, I don’t mean that.

Thank you for posting this.

Yeah, I don't think it's reasonable that she saw him when he was at her house and also on the camping trip, but she never knew the van was there, he'd returned without Gabby or that the Gabby's family had tried to call. I do believe they exchanged numbers because she said in the interview that she didn't know if it was appropriate to contact them with all "this" going on.

I was listening to the video interview with Gabby's friend Rose (posted on here somewhere) and she mentioned how Gabby would slap Brian when she was upset with him (times before the trip, when they were all in Florida). Apparently, this must have been a thing. She never said he hit back, but when a person is getting slapped, and they grab the slapper's face, I don't know if I'd call that DV on the part of the one being slapped. Rose had her chance to divulge incidents of past physical abuse by Brian, but she didn't. She mentioned several incidents that people have picked up on and run with in their DV diagnoses, but how do you know that Rose wasn't the jealous one--jealous of Gabby's relationship with Brian?
I truly find it impossible to believe that women would be actually fighting over Brian. It is just a step too far into the realms of nuts, to be honest. I don't even grasp what Gabby saw in him, much less Rose being provoked into jealousy.

IMO, of course, it's only my own view..

So BL used someone else’s(had to be GPs IMO)bank card to withdrawal at least 1000 dollars. Presumably, it was done after GP was deceased. LE must’ve seen him on bank surveillance doing this at a specific place and time. I’m more interested in the amount. How much does it cost to drive a van some 30 odd hours across the country? Few hundred? Why would he need all that money? I believe most atms limit the withdrawal amount to like 400$, so there was possibly multiple withdrawals. Leads one to believe it was getaway money unfortunately. Imo.

He probably used the card multiple times, like each time he filled the tank. Also probably grabbed food and drink. Maybe some no doze to keep him awake. Some cash withdrawn too. I always carry cash when I travel long stretches. My calculator comes up to about $600 in gas for that trip these days.

I was listening to the video interview with Gabby's friend Rose (posted on here somewhere) and she mentioned how Gabby would slap Brian when she was upset with him (times before the trip, when they were all in Florida). Apparently, this must have been a thing. She never said he hit back, but when a person is getting slapped, and they grab the slapper's face, I don't know if I'd call that DV on the part of the one being slapped. Rose had her chance to divulge incidents of past physical abuse by Brian, but she didn't. She mentioned several incidents that people have picked up on and run with in their DV diagnoses, but how do you know that Rose wasn't the jealous one--jealous of Gabby's relationship with Brian?

I think it's worth mentioning that Gabby Petito was 5' 5" and 110 lbs. Brian Laundrie is 5'8" and 158 lbs.

ETA: Corrected GP's height.

JMO

Last edited:
What they could have done differently is pay more heed to the original cause of the 911 call that a male was hitting a female. They asked him and he gave them a non answer, so they ignored it.
What else they could have done differently is not pal up to him and fist bump with him, laugh when he called her crazy and talked about their 'toxic' ex wife. They bolstered his position and weakened hers. It was very unprofessional.

This is what happened at that stop:

Q7rS1ZA.jpg

You guys, something really upsetting just occurred to me. I'm watching the footage released today, & something just jumped out. The officer tells BL (direct quotes here, but I recently broke my quote button being to vigorous in cleaning my keyboard. & some extraneous info skipped over, indicated by my insertion of [...] ):

LE: She's going to have a court date online, in a week or two, she's going to have to show up for court date online & have to answer....

BL: [...] it was a little squabble, I'm sorry that it had to get so public... So, I just want to get the checklist of things we gotta do to get rid of it.

LE: Well, she'll get a paper with the court date...

BL: How do we get rid of it? [makes a cut sign & laughs]

LE: Well the court date has to be attended [...] From there, she can ask to speak to the prosecutor. The prosecutor might be contacting you. & say hey man, like, I know she's a 11o pounds soaking wet, & you're a big strong guy...

Now, speculation on my part here: This could have presented an enormous amount of stress for them/him in the following days & weeks... whether she would have ever intended to do this we don't know, BUT he could have been terrified that she could have used that moment to provide more context to the event or even say more about their history & how he'd been treating her... He could have absolutely been losing it about this court date approaching.

A week or two means potentially in the range of Aug 19-Aug 26. Did it occur while he was away? But would he really not want to know what she said? Did she stay in the hotel in order to have a good internet connection to attend the court date? That may not have been a firm estimation from LE at all. For all we know, her court date could have been scheduled for sometime after Aug 26...

I wonder if we will find out if a) this court date happened, or b) was about to happen, before she was killed.

This information changed some things for me... I feel like it could perhaps almost speak to a potential motive...

JMO.
Feeling really heavy & going to take a break from the board for the rest of the night, but interested as ever in your thoughts.
Was there a pending court date or was all that changed when they opted not to charge her?

Do you have a link to where Rose said that Gabby slapped Brian? I haven't seen that. I have seen where Rose said that he was controlling with Gabby.

Behind the scenes with Dog the Bounty Hunter
Oct 1, 2021 2 hours ago

6 minutes video

JMO on advice to Dog. Don't pick up any potential evidence. Gloves or not. Go get one of those clamp things people use to pick up stuff after surgery and put what you find in a bag. No contamination, no smudges can make the difference between anything you find being admissible or not. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire