Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appalachian Trail hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie in Tennessee

I have transcribed his words.

"Yeah, I'm Dennis Davis and I was coming up from Florida on Friday to go hiking the AT. I got up here to the NC - TN area at about 12:30, so early Saturday morning. I was parking my car at a parking lot where we were going to be leaving a car and I had passed the parking lot so I was doing a U-turn to go back to it and as I was doing that U-turn a vehicle approached from behind me.

The vehicle let me go ahead and finish my U-turn and as I was driving up to that vehicle, the gentleman in the vehicle stuck his hand out and kind of waved me down. I pulled up alongside of the vehicle, it was uh, it looked like a Ford F-150 truck, it was white. Um, I was in a car, so I was lower than the vehicle, I rolled my window down and I started talking with the gentleman. Um, I could tell right away that there was, he, something wasn't right with him. He uh, it took him a second to get anything out and he said "man I'm lost." And I thought, you know I was kind of lost myself, I thought maybe he was another hiker, looking for the same parking lot.

And I said "well I'm not from around here, but what are you trying to find?" And he said "Man I need to go to California." And I was like, "Wow, well, I don't know the directions to California, but..." he said "Yea, me and my girlfriend had a fight, and man I love her, but she called me and I need to go out to California to go see her."

And I said, "Well, man, I-40 is right there," we were right next to I-40, and I said "you can take I-40 West and it will get you to California." And he said "No, I think, this road that we're on I'm just going to take it to California."

And that was uh Waterville Rd.

When I got off the phone with the FBI I looked at some more pictures and I saw a profile view of Brian. And you know that's kind of how I was looking at him; cause he was in his truck so most of the time I was seeing the side of his face. And when I saw from the side that profile view, I was like, I am absolutely 100% sure that was the guy, my heart was thumpin' and I immediately called the FBI back, and said "Listen I just called you guys, but I'm telling you this was the guy. And so the lady, first time I spoke with a man, second time was a lady - she again took my information.

Um, I was sitting there in this parking lot thinking what do I do now. No one's calling me so I called 911. At that time I was in TN, so I got the Tennessee 911 and I called and spoke with the operator, she took my information. Again, Nobody was calling me back, I was sitting there for an hour now. And so I got in my car and actually drove back by the site where I saw, just to see if I could see him again.

At that time I was in NC so I picked up the phone and called 911 in North Carolina."

Video cuts out after this.

Thank you for this!

Appalachian Trail hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie in Tennessee

I have transcribed his words.

"Yeah, I'm Dennis Davis and I was coming up from Florida on Friday to go hiking the AT. I got up here to the NC - TN area at about 12:30, so early Saturday morning. I was parking my car at a parking lot where we were going to be leaving a car and I had passed the parking lot so I was doing a U-turn to go back to it and as I was doing that U-turn a vehicle approached from behind me.

The vehicle let me go ahead and finish my U-turn and as I was driving up to that vehicle, the gentleman in the vehicle stuck his hand out and kind of waved me down. I pulled up alongside of the vehicle, it was uh, it looked like a Ford F-150 truck, it was white. Um, I was in a car, so I was lower than the vehicle, I rolled my window down and I started talking with the gentleman. Um, I could tell right away that there was, he, something wasn't right with him. He uh, it took him a second to get anything out and he said "man I'm lost." And I thought, you know I was kind of lost myself, I thought maybe he was another hiker, looking for the same parking lot.

And I said "well I'm not from around here, but what are you trying to find?" And he said "Man I need to go to California." And I was like, "Wow, well, I don't know the directions to California, but..." he said "Yea, me and my girlfriend had a fight, and man I love her, but she called me and I need to go out to California to go see her."

And I said, "Well, man, I-40 is right there," we were right next to I-40, and I said "you can take I-40 West and it will get you to California." And he said "No, I think, this road that we're on I'm just going to take it to California."

And that was uh Waterville Rd.

When I got off the phone with the FBI I looked at some more pictures and I saw a profile view of Brian. And you know that's kind of how I was looking at him; cause he was in his truck so most of the time I was seeing the side of his face. And when I saw from the side that profile view, I was like, I am absolutely 100% sure that was the guy, my heart was thumpin' and I immediately called the FBI back, and said "Listen I just called you guys, but I'm telling you this was the guy. And so the lady, first time I spoke with a man, second time was a lady - she again took my information.

Um, I was sitting there in this parking lot thinking what do I do now. No one's calling me so I called 911. At that time I was in TN, so I got the Tennessee 911 and I called and spoke with the operator, she took my information. Again, Nobody was calling me back, I was sitting there for an hour now. And so I got in my car and actually drove back by the site where I saw, just to see if I could see him again.

At that time I was in NC so I picked up the phone and called 911 in North Carolina."

Video cuts out after this.

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but what stood out to me straight away was how many times the guy who Davis thinks was BL used the word "man".

Is that quite a common word to use in guy to guy conversation in the states?

It's not the case here in the UK, but I definitely noticed in the Moab police stop footage that BL used the word "man" when talking to the LE!

It's probably nothing, but just thought I'd share that observation..

MOO

Yeah that's the question really. What is fundamentally making them stay?

If they've helped BL as much as people suspect they have then they may be broke and can't afford to go to a hotel. I have no idea if they're retired, still working or what their source of income is.

I've been wondering for days why they haven't boarded up their house, hired a guard, and gone elsewhere. Any guesses???

They want to protect their house.
Fear of it being broken into or it would be easy for someone to gain access to their house computers w/o their knowledge. MOO.

Last edited:
Spoken words from the witness who says he encountered BL:
Hiker claims he saw Brian Laundrie near Appalachian Trail
This is very helpful. Whether or not the guy in the truck was BL, this Dennis Davis guy sounds completely on the level.

And the clip explains things like why was Davis in a truck if he was going hiking -- he was arriving there to hike and he was looking for a particular parking lot. He says "we" so I'm guessing that either he'd dropped someone else off or (more likely given his evident unfamiliarity with the area) planning to meet others to hike with.

JMO.

I don't know if anyone else picked up on this, but what stood out to me straight away was how many times the guy who Davis thinks was BL used the word "man".

It's not the case here in the UK, but I definitely noticed in the Moab police stop footage that BL used the word "man" when talking to the LE!

MOO

I’m from the north east of England and we say man in conversations with other people usually at the end for example, shut up man, or what you been up to man. Geordies say it a lot too eg why aye man. So I think it could be definitely used in different states.

MOO

YES.

On the Fox/Truck guy: a few points

1. If BL has no phone, he might well have trouble navigating in rural Tennessee

2. Remember the suspicious text to GP's mom saying she didn't have service in Yosemite? Was that part of BL's supposed alibi? Is he still somehow bizarrely or deludedly trying to stick to that?

Gabby Petito’s mother says final text sent from daughter was ‘fake’

There's a categorical trinity that is supposedly required, or needs to be present, for a perpetrator to commit a crime:
  • Means
  • Motive
  • Opportunity
If BL killed GP, I feel that of those three, 'Opportunity', we can tick off first in the list. 'Means' is again easily explained away, he undoubtedly had the ability to commit the crime.

What I'm stuck on is the motive.

What do people feel BL's motive would be for killing his girlfriend/fiancé?

... OR... does motive only come into play if there was actual intent to kill?

Maybe the reason I'm struggling to find a motive is because I'm still not certain that BL set out to actually kill GP.

Again, I'm not saying I don't think he did kill her, simply that it wasn't premeditated and the intended outcome.

I think of these three aspects of a crime, proving motive is the one that will have the most clout when it comes to convincing a jury at trial.

I'd be interested to know others thoughts on this!

MOO
My personal belief is they got into another physical altercation and he simply went too far. I've said it before, but I think all the warning signs were there in him in the weeks leading up to her death. Jmo.

Wow. Well he certainly includes a lot of details for someone who would "make something up" (I was lower - in a car). I was in TN, then crossed into NC, etc. MOO
Plus he called the FBI which if they called back and he "lied" is a crime on his part. MOO So, I don't believe this guy is lying. He may not turn out to be correct, but he is certainly presenting himself as someone who truly believes this. MOO. This must be followed up. If they can search a swamp for a million dollars on the parents word, they have to follow this up, and I believe they will. MOO
Oh, I believe the guy is telling the truth. The Appalachian Trail is right on the border between TN and NC. The details are true. His encounter happened just east of Cosby, Tennessee. I think he is very earnest and means well. I just don't believe the lost guy crying in the truck was BL.

Can you please provide a link for this because it's not what I've heard.

What she says is, “I was apologizing to him and saying, ‘I’m sorry that I’m so mean’".

At 2:50.

Probably already been answered...can't keep up. There was also the 911 witness that said he overheard her saying to brian laundrie..."why do you have to be so mean?"

I’m from the north east of England and we say man in conversations with other people usually at the end for example, shut up man, or what you been up to man. Geordies say it a lot too eg why aye man. So I think it could be definitely used in different states.

Of course. I think its usage might vary by County (or State in the case of the USA). I know it's not used too much in Yorkshire, but moreso in Manchester.

If it's commonplace in the US, then I guess there's no significance in me spotting it, but I definitely noticed BL using it when talking to LE at the traffic stop in Moab.

JMO

Would Brian Laundrie be that careless, though, as to say, "I had a fight with my girlfriend," in his explanation to the guy on the AT? It would be so easy to make a connection that way, no? Almost everyone knows about Brian Laundrie, it would seem.
Another question I've been wondering about: Does the reward for finding him still apply if he is found deceased? Thanks!

Also, would a fugitive flag down a rando? For all he knew, the highly educated engineer could have been law enforcement looking for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member