GUILTY WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

State rests its case against McCauley, trial to head into Week 2

The state concluded its case in chief Friday after five days of testimony, 34 total witnesses and more than 230 exhibits in the case against Andy McCauley, Jr.

List of witnesses from trial (updating as we go)
Chantel Oakley - Mother
Don Morgan - friend of both AM and CO
Morgan County Sheriff Cpt. Tim Stapleton - did first search of RC's bedroom
RC's brother
Bobby Golden - CO's stepfather?
Christopher McCauley - AM's nephew?
Brenda Lee - AM's mother
Luke Shambaugh - Lead Detective
Donna Walter - wife of Johnnie who CO called around 5am
Johnnie Walter - was on the job with AM when he left abruptly with the truck
Denise Deaver - AM's ex
West Virginia State Police Sgt. J.D. See - the lead of the search warrant of Crossman’s home and the search warrant of the truck (testified twice so far)
WVSP Cpl. F.H. Edwards - conducted 5/10 interview with AM
Brandy Eggman - K9 handler (dog's name is Rock)
Deborah Clavette - She was the one who saw his truck
David Miller - Forensic analyst
Melissa Runyon - Supervisor, DNA analysis division WVSP
Dominic Mongold - cellmate of AM
Ryan Burke - cellular analyst
Hayden - RC's boyfriend
Jasmine - RC's best friend
Dr. Piotr Kubiczek - medical examiner
Sean Wolfe - WVSP
Howard Ruark - owner of company AM and JW worked for

Still missing a few names. Trying to find the missing ones. Monday, defense starts. AM decides whether he's going to testify or not.

Monday, October 4th:
*Trial continues (Day 6) (@ am ET) - WV – Riley Grace Crossman (15) (reported missing May 8, 2019, Berkeley Springs; found May 16, 2019, near Tuscarora Pike in Berkeley County) - *Andrew (“Andy”) Jackson McCauley, Jr. (41/now 43) (mom’s BF) arrested & charged (5/16/19) & indicted (1/7/20) & re-indicted (6/17/21) with 1st degree murder, concealment of a deceased human body & felony charge of death of a child by a custodian by child abuse. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
Trial was set to begin on 4/26/21. Jury selection began on 4/16 & jurors will be from Morgan County. Jury: 12 jurors & 2 alternates. These jurors will be let go & a new jury will be selected. First trial was cancelled due to COVID.
Trial began on 9/27/21. Jury selection started & finished on 9/17/21. Juror will come from Jefferson County & transported to the Morgan County courthouse. Trial expected to last 2 weeks. Jurors: 9 men & 7 women (i.e. 4 alternates).

Court info from 5/16/19 thru 8/19/21 & jury selection (9/17/21) & trial 9/27/21 to 9/29/21 (Day 1-3) reference post #671 here:
Found Deceased - WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

9/30/21 Thursday, Trial Day 4: State witnesses: Brandy Eggeman, a certified dog trainer who assisted in discovering Crosssman’s body. Eggeman testified her dog Rock was altered to the odor of human decomposition in the back of a green pick-up truck that McCauley had allegedly been driving. Eggeman also mentioned Rock was alerted by the presence of decomposition, screws, & “drywall on some foliage” where Crossman’s body was located. West Virginia State Police Sgt. Jeanette also a white powdery substance located on the victim's body. The jury heard a recorded conversation (May 15, 2019) phone call between Crossman’s mother Chantel Oakley & McCauley. The defendant said in the conversation he had taken cocaine & heroin on the night of Crossman’s disappearance. Deborah Clavette - She was the one who saw his truck.
DA James said he plans to call forensic pathologist Dr. Piotr Kubiczek, two state forensics analysts & McCauley’s former work supervisor to testify. Testimonies are expected to continue into next week. No other info available. Trial continues on 10/1/21.
10/1/21 Friday, Trial Day 5: State witnesses: West Virginia State Crime Lab Forensic Analyst David Miller showed the jury a pillow & ribbon from Crossman’s room & evidence of stains that tested positive for the teenager’s blood & saliva. Investigators discovered the blood & saliva samples from a bed comforter & sheet. Crossman’s blood was also present on underwear found on remains. DNA expert Melissa Runyon from the state crime lab said McCauley’s DNA was present on blood samples from the bedroom & bathroom in the home. Jurors also heard from Dominic Mongold, who knew Crossman from church. He had also been incarcerated at the Eastern Regional Jail with McCauley. Mongold testified the defendant asked him “multiple times a week” if Crossman had ever sent Mongold inappropriate pictures. Mongold said he told McCauley yes so he would quit asking the question. When asked under oath if the victim had ever sent him such photos, Mongold said no. Special Agent Ryan Burke FBI cell expert was sent to Berkeley Springs by the FBI back in May of 2019 & the prosecution referenced cell tower data recorded from his initial investigation. The prosecution also showed the jury a record of McCauley’s phone activity leading up to Crossman’s phone going offline & the period of time that followed. A minor identified as J.C.; she & Crossman became friends in middle school. The other minor identified as H.L., was her boyfriend for nine months. Dr. Piotr Kubiczek, first deputy chief medical examiner with the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, did not conduct the autopsy on the remains of Riley Crossman, but reviewed the report & reached similar conclusions. West Virginia State Police 1st Sgt. Sean Wolfe. Owner Howard Ruark (McCauley worked for construction company Ruark Enterprises). Co-worker Johnny Walter rode together to a work site on May 8.
Jurors additionally heard more than 2 hours of interrogation from the day when authorities found Crossman’s body. McCauley voluntarily came in for questioning. West Virginia State Police Corporal F. Edwards asked him several times about the route he took from Hedgesville to Berkeley Springs. The defendant said he took State Route 9 back, later amending the statement to say he took a detour near Route 9 to avoid construction. He denied ever being on Tuscarora Pike or Apple Harvest Drive that day.
Defense Attorney Andy Arnold made a motion before Judge Debra McLaughlin to dismiss the charges of first-degree murder and death of a child by a custodian by child abuse. James asked McLaughlin to reject the motion, citing the fact that McCauley had stated he thought of Crossman as a daughter and he was in charge of the kids when her mother and grandmother were not in the house. “There is sufficient evidence in all three counts for the case to go to the jury,” McLaughlin said. State rested their case. Trial continues on 10/4/21 with defense CIC.

This is how cases have always gone here, for as long as anyone can remember. This is just the first time it's been televised. All previous cases, big and small, have been insanely tight lipped.

This is so scary. There is another case coming up with the 3 that were murdered by a group from Taneytown. I'm hoping that case goes better than this one.............

They introduced lesser charges - 2nd degree murder and manslaughter as alternative charges. In the end, the investigation was shoddy, to say the least. In no way am I saying that AM is not guilty but I think there were more people involved and they did nothing more to investigate that possibility. This is one of the worst investigations and prosecutions that I have ever seen.

The woman who witnessed AMs truck near where the body was found, is also a former magistrate in this county. CM, AMs nephew is in a relationship with her granddaughter, and they are apparently expecting a child.

JW, ran against DD this past election cycle and beat her by a few hundred votes, for her magistrate position, that she lost to another candidate.

Notice a pattern here? The people in power here also have the worst people imaginable in their close circles. I hope this case attracts the attention of some higher entity that can press this county over these sort of things. The investigation alone, or lack of one, is disgusting.

I believe at some point, an investigation this shoddy should be considered malicious and criminal.
Seriously though. What recourse is there that this amount of ineffectiveness has occurred? How is this allowed to happen? I guess that is somewhat of a naive statement on my part but in the end, there are so many out there that see the major misses in this investigation. I have no doubt that AM disposed of the body. He's not a great guy. He's a criminal. Over and over again. But the miscarriage of justice for RC here is just appalling. I mean, the shed! Why wasn't it searched for evidence? Witnesses in this trial had said he was backed up to it.

JW, ran against DD this past election cycle and beat her by a few hundred votes, for her magistrate position, that she lost to another candidate.

Notice a pattern here? The people in power here also have the worst people imaginable in their close circles. I hope this case attracts the attention of some higher entity that can press this county over these sort of things. The investigation alone, or lack of one, is disgusting.
Do you mean JW, the one who was working with AM on the worksite? I thought it was the JW, the cop.

Last edited:
I believe at some point, an investigation this shoddy should be considered malicious and criminal.
Seriously though. What recourse is there that this amount of ineffectiveness has occurred? How is this allowed to happen? I guess that is somewhat of a naive statement on my part but in the end, there are so many out there that see the major misses in this investigation. I have no doubt that AM disposed of the body. He's not a great guy. He's a criminal. Over and over again. But the miscarriage of justice for RC here is just appalling. I mean, the shed! Why wasn't it searched for evidence? Witnesses in this trial had said he was backed up to it. In the end,

Do you mean JW, the one who was working with AM on the worksite?

The way that this case was handled is no surprise.

About 7 years ago, my husband’s ex-girlfriend physically abused him, leaving bruises and cuts. He went to the courthouse in Morgan County to file an a petition for a restraining order, however because her aunt worked at the courthouse, charges were never brought against her, nor was his petition ever found in any courts documents.
I wish that a something could be done about the injustice & corruption, but seemingly it seems impossible.
Moo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back