Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a few threads that I haven't been able to fully read in this case, so I may have missed it, but have we discussed his distinctive gait? I ignored the clips posted all over Twitter (though the duck sounds were funny), but I just spent some time going through all of their social media and both of the body cam videos, and while it's not always that pronounced, it is a distinctive gait. Shouldn't that be easier to track and identify? Shouldn't it be noted on all of BOLOs? I'm so frustrated that he is still at large, whatever state he is in (location or physical).

I more or less said all this last night and the remarks below are MOO.

If you follow the "Brian is off the grid" timeline, he went missing before she was found dead. If he stops a stranger just off the AT and mentions that he is trying to get to California to see his girlfriend who he's had a fight with - in order to reunite - he is establishing a weird alibi of sorts. If and when he is found he can collapse in a heap when they tell him she was found dead. "OMG, she's dead? She said she wanted some time to herself and took off to California so I went back to Florida. She was unable to drive the van so I thought she had hitched a ride with some fellow campers. I left my parents' house because I was so distraught/depressed and the only way I could heal was going solitary/off the grid."

Again, my opinion only.

I think he realizes he can't run forever and he may think he can control the story, just like he did with the DV stop in Utah.

If he's alive he wouldn't be asking somebody for directions. It would be pretty much the last thing he would do. Where did he get the pickup? Why no phone so he can get his own directions? He would need money for gas... it was dark... There's just no way. Does not add up at all.
You're thinking like a rational person. I suspect this fella isn't rational.

Amateur opinion and speculation

You just made the case for the defense..."Insanity".

Not necessarily. His entire family has not just downplayed this fact, they have never mentioned it, for example, they reported him "missing" but never said what he was wearing or that he suffers from anything or that he takes medication or pleaded for him to come home or to turn himself in on the warrant. If his psychosis was a big deal, they would mention that. But of course I don't believe anything they say or their lawyer says.

There have been a few threads that I haven't been able to fully read in this case, so I may have missed it, but have we discussed his distinctive gait? I ignored the clips posted all over Twitter (though the duck sounds were funny), but I just spent some time going through all of their social media and both of the body cam videos, and while it's not always that pronounced, it is a distinctive gait. Shouldn't that be easier to track and identify? Shouldn't it be noted on all of BOLOs? I'm so frustrated that he is still at large, whatever state he is in (location or physical).
This! And also his voice is fairly distinct too.

Do we really need to spend so much time parsing this out, though?

(As our mods might say, "This post lands at random", and isn't meant to signal you out above and beyond any and everyone else discussing it; I just chose to stick my flag in the mountainside by this comment.)

IMO, the point and goal is to figure out "where Brian might have gone".

Again IMO, "if this man is/was in fact Brian", then it seems extremely unlikely that he would ever mean "California, North Carolina", no matter how askew his worldview was at this point (again, IMO); simply because "California, North Carolina" was never a Brian + Gabby destination.

Thus, if it's an innocent random person, IMO it's possible said random person could mean "California, NC".

If it's in fact shown to be Brian, I consider it next to impossible that he would be gunning for "California NC"; nor, in turn, that he would be perceiving it as having something to do with Gabby.

Again, not trying to dictate the course of the conversation; just pointing out these potential time-wasting tangents early in the game before they derail entire multiple threads.

I mean, someone a few threads ago even wanted me to consider the statistics about the overall likely theft of Ford F-150s; which literally has zero to do with inside baseball, because we're not trying to measure "how often any F-150 driving down the road gets stolen in general"; because our topic is, did BRIAN steal a vehicle, and in particular the single vehicle being referenced by our tipster, KWIM? ;)
I feel kind of bad for this because you put a lot of effort into that response but... we're arguing the same point. Ha!

I don't know how to carry a post over from the previous thread, but thank you @Jurisprudence and @Loveallmyhorsesdogsandcats for clarifying and further explaining "premeditation" in criminal cases.

So, if I understand correctly: the amount of time spent 'planning' the act beforehand is irrelevant when it comes to a premeditated crime?

Even if the perpetrator decided only a nanosecond before killing someone that that was what they were going to do, it would still be classed as premeditation?

Wouldn't that make ALL crimes premeditated?

It would make terms like "a crime of passion" null and void, right?

I'm thinking of this in terms of any potential defense of BL, should he be charged with GP's murder.

Could BL's lawyer claim it was a crime of passion on the grounds of provocation? I imagine a defence lawyer will absolutely use the scratches on BL's face during the Moab traffic stop to their advantage too.

Crime of Passion

In criminal law, a crime of passion is a crime committed in the "heat of passion" in response to provocation, as opposed to one that was premeditated or deliberated. Provocation serves as a partial defense to manslaughter because while it does not completely excuse the defendant of the killing, it can downgrade the degree of the crime, and therefore the associated punishment.

Crime of Passion

MOO

Yes, the dialogue and behavior, plus I just have that feeling, you know?

I also have the same feeling, though of course I could be wrong.

Let's for a moment assume that this was BL. If so, part of what he said was clearly nonsense (the bit about a girlfriend). But he also declined to get on the I-40 and said he'd keep going on Waterville Road. I wonder if that was as a sort of explanation of why he wasn't about to immediately hop on the I-40 going west.

(Why would he decline to get onto the I-40? Could the truck have been stolen, or could he have thought he'd be more recognizable traveling on the main road?)

My guess is that he was heading northwest on Waterville, but I could be wrong. Is it possible to determine from what Davis said and from a knowledge of the area which direction he was going in? If he was indeed going northwest, is he likely to have gotten onto Tobes Creek Road and thence onto the 32?
Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 1.56.54 PM.png

JMO

Last edited:
Yes, it is on this map and it does show that it's north of Asheville. However there are more than one community in North Carolina named California.

No, that map doesn't show it, it shows driving distance from Asheville to California. We are way off topic also.

If, and that's a big if, because we currently have no evidence of it, he is suffering a mental breakdown, none of his behavior will make sense. His speech will be odd, like Mr. Davis described, his appearance will deteriorate, and he very well could talk about Gabby as if she is still alive. Unfortunately, I have also seen that first hand. IME

But if BL really thinks Gabby is alive in his mind, why would he be on the run and hiding?

I just "listened" to this guy's accounting for the first time from your Fox News link. Prior to this I had only been reading it. He is so detailed. So specific. He went above and beyond to get someone, anyone, to listen to him. IMOO this guy is not lying. He may be mistaken, but he is not lying. Full stop. MOO

My thoughts exactly. I posted in a previous thread that IMO he's a credible person. He's a father of four and an engineer, which doesn't necessarily translate to reliability, but does make him seem more of a truthful and honest citizen.

Engineers are trained to think through details logically. I fully believe Mr. Davis is exactly recounting whom he saw, how he saw him and the extent of their conversation.

I'm not convinced, though, that it was BL. It very well may have been, but it may have been any other guy who was acting a little nutty and lost.

I know BL rambled on about his girlfriend when he hitchhiked with the TikTok lady, but at that point he wasn't a nationally known fugitive whose girlfriend was found murdered, IIRC. At this point, though, even if BL is off his rocker, I can't imagine that with all the effort he's undergone to stay hidden, he would blow it by breaking cover and talking about his girlfriend again.

I do hope LE checks the story and it appears they did send someone to look at the vehicles that were parked nearby.

I just "listened" to this guy's accounting for the first time from your Fox News link. Prior to this I had only been reading it. He is so detailed. So specific. He went above and beyond to get someone, anyone, to listen to him. IMOO this guy is not lying. He may be mistaken, but he is not lying. Full stop. MOO

IMO, either he made up the story or the guy in the truck made of the story. It was just too detailed and close to media reports to be real.

Follow 23 N from Asheville, it a little community on the right. In NC and VA we have little areas/pockets of houses/families, maybe settled years ago and were named by locals. They are listed on maps. They aren't large enough to be a official towns or cities, named to identify a small area, usually away from a town.

Not sure I explained this very well.

Yes, the City California is over towards the coast. It is possible that is the area he's trying to reach, if so he's way off track. He may have a hidden house in the rural California community, from Google it appears remote, lots of heavy tree cover, or the coast or CA the state. But it is odd their being a community by that name.

The link I posted has satellite and terrain features you can click on under the map.

Who knows where BL is????

Moo...

I cannot see it on the map, or on the link or on google. But if that is true, then he may very well be wanting to go there. Then that explains why he told Dennis that he will stay on that road. He may be trying to go to an intentional community. Is that what California, NC is? Can you post some link about it? I really want to find it.

Oh, so not a place he would reasonably expect a random stranger to know. If that were his destination, he'd have said "the city, not the state" JMO

Picture this: young random guy who looks lije 67% of other guys of his demographic from NC/TN/VA torn up by his now-ex-girlfriend's telling him to gtf away ftom her for the last time. Guy proceeds to do what many distraught people do (especially, statistically speaking, no offense) young men - gets drunk and decides, despite tags being out of date or a prior DUI, I'm going to go find her in the middle of the night. I'm sure her parents are in Podunk (California, NC) [alternate: gf is from actual California; he's REALLY drunk]. Never been there, but how hard can it be, I can figure it out. Then - dang it, I'm in the middle of nowhere and no idea which way to go. Hell's bells, now phone's dead and I'm lost. Gas stations are closed /none nearby/don't want cops called on my drunk arse. Oh, look, there's a dude in a truck, I'll bet he can help me.

023ad5a6-cf14-45f3-ad47-732cf6a93d23

Do you have the reference of GP'S mother saying this?

Either way, it seems - as made clear in discussions here and elsewhere - that many people do not recognize/have experience with an abusive dynamic.

I have had dysfunctional and abusive relationships. My own mother, a wonderful person, always tended to make observations along the lines of that *I* was just too emotional, rather than perceiving a) that the other person was treating me poorly/abusively, and b) that there was something in/about me that prompted me to lower myself and accept that behavior. Moms (and I am one myself) don't always see things perfectly clearly, either.

Addressing reports of the incident on Wednesday, Gabby's mother, Nichole Schmidt told DailyMail.com: 'It's irrelevant.

'Two people traveling together with each other 24 hours a day, it's not going to be perfect, it was an argument, and that's all I'm going to say about it.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong