SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Because the South is strongly GOP now, right?
So, does this mean that the Murdaugh's are supportive of gays? Would a potential gay relationship with a Murdaugh cause a problem?

I don’t see these Murdaughs as being supportive of much other than themselves. Anecdotal but regardless of political parties, many, many people I know or am related to from all over the South are fine enough with people who are gay, largely because everyone has at least one family member or friend who is gay, which is not to say they’re all out of the closet or that everyone is comfortable with it. Even in the South, the times have changed. But killing just because of that? Familiarity with an individual is often enlightening, thankfully. MOO.

The Murdaughs are Democrats and have been Democrats since Democrats ruled the South (a long, long time).

Yes. Political party aside, because I do not think that has bearing on these atrocities and I know you are not saying that you think it does, the specific Murdaughs in this ugliness seem to have been brutal opportunists for a long, long time. MOO.

I had the impression that MM was Democrat. That would generally imply (although not certain) a greater empathy and progressiveness toward gays. Of course I don't know how the Murdaugh side of the family felt or what their political leaning is/was.

I would appreciate further insight from you and others who have a better understanding of this area.
Ignorance is old school, not political.

So sick but this might have been a hate crime against gays. Couple of drunk teens see this young man alone and out of gas. If that’s the case they probably thought they were so funny until they woke up sober, or maybe not. I can hardly stand to think about it — the fear of his last moments.

I think Ella Mae and others besides you who have weighed in on my thought, have logical points about his shoes. I was thinking of other reasons his shoes were “loosely tied,”but if he had any time walking with out shoes, the soles of his feet would no doubt give the ME clues.

Not too much has come out about this either, but this murder could likely have a torture aspect, and that’s where I was coming from. Not sure what to think except this young man who had ambition and potential seems to have had his life snuffed out in just the worst way.

Only my mind wandering. Only MHO.

Oh, I’m not really weighing in on anything to think it’s right or wrong. To me, it’s all just brainstorming here, where one person throws out an idea and others contemplate it and think of possible related aspects. Again in my view only, the objective is to explore and share insights that may help LE at some point, help us to think critically, and keep attention on the need for justice for those who have been victimized by others. So no worries; I’m just thinking in type. :) Thanks for all your insights! :) All I ever say is MOO. :)

I agree with you and Sandy. I too believe it was the motive. Only question in my mind is was it Buster or an older with much more to lose if SS went public man?

JMO

Maybe but on the other hand, I don’t see these Murdaughs worrying much about their reputations because they felt no one would dare say a word. I think if they dated what people thought, they would have behaved differently. I’m not criticizing them here although you bet I think they needed attitude adjustments; I’m just saying that these cared about power and money, and with them having plenty of both of those, a same-sex affair wouldn’t make them sweat. It’s the loss of power and money that seem like catalysts to me. MOO.

Who killed Stephen Smith, and why?

BBM
You do know that SC is the deep south right? And SS was gay. If he was involved, as has been said, with a Murduagh do you think the rest of that proud, powerful family would have looked on that favorably? IMO they would not have. And if he threatened to take it public it would have been a motive to kill.

Being gay in the south and Bible Belt states is not viewed the same way as it is in more progressive states. I know because I live in a Bible belt state. It is absolutely wrong to view it that way, yes, but it is also a fact.

The south is an old old place where change comes very slowly, if at all. I have been to enough southern states like Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Virginia, NC, W Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia that I know that. The cities in those states are more progressive toward gays but the rural areas, not so much, if at all. If you don't think that, drive through some of those southern states and count how many Confederate flags are still flying proudly on lawns or on the beds of pickup trucks. Talk to some of those good ole boys out in the country and you will find out just how they feel.

No offense meant to anyone, just saying it like I think it is.

JMO

My experiences with my relatives and others from all over the Deep South have been different. Over my lifetime, I’ve seen changes as people learned and more people they knew and loved came out as gay. Would they prefer everyone be whatever they think they should be? Maybe, probably, but those horses are long out of the barn. In my experience, those with power and money there did whatever they did with impunity. They didn’t care much what anyone thought because no one said it out loud to them and because they themselves and the others around them viewed the rich and thus powerful as better than others. Then, much of the South was and still is in areas characterized by the old families. If great-great grandpa was a scoundrel with two families at once, the great-great grandchildren were viewed in that dimmed light as well. If great-great grandma’s family was the richest in that county and respected thereof, the great-great grandkids were seen in that better light even if the family was poor by then. Just my experiences there and thus not a peer-reviewed source! :) MOO.

Just an anecdote you may find humorous: Last night, many members of our extended family got together via Skype. I hadn’t read these threads then so that’s not what made me think of it but I sat there seeing the great-grandparents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, kids (now 25 to 62), grandchildren, great grandchildren, spouses, and significant others. My father was one of 11 kids from a very conservative, Deep South family growing up in a time where it was a huge scandal if anyone had “an early baby” aka a baby weighing nine pounds at birth and arriving six months after the wedding. Two of the brothers are ministers and they all go to church weekly and always have. Etc. It’s a rural area still and church is a lifestyle. Yet, one of the 11 kids married his longtime boyfriend a few years ago and everyone celebrated. Who knows what they thought but they acted decently. One of my cousins attended the meeting with his significant other, a man, and it was clearly no issue with anyone there. It just was normal. Far bigger issues revolved around football teams. It would not have been this way even 25 years ago, I’m sure. I don’t know how those 11 kids, now in their 70s and 80s, came to this place. They remain very conservative and they’re there every time the church doors open but someone being gay clearly is no longer the problem it was with them. I don’t live in the South now so the differences from years past to now are striking—and I feel hope for humanity even when people like AM treat others so horribly. At the same time, there’s a reason no one brought up politics. MOO.

Just an anecdote you may find humorous: Last night, many members of our extended family got together via Skype. I hadn’t read these threads then so that’s not what made me think of it but I sat there seeing the great-grandparents, grandparents, uncles, aunts, kids (now 25 to 62), grandchildren, great grandchildren, spouses, and significant others. My father was one of 11 kids from a very conservative, Deep South family growing up in a time where it was a huge scandal if anyone had “an early baby” aka a baby weighing nine pounds at birth and arriving six months after the wedding. Two of the brothers are ministers and they all go to church weekly and always have. Etc. It’s a rural area still and church is a lifestyle. Yet, one of the 11 kids married his longtime boyfriend a few years ago and everyone celebrated. Who knows what they thought but they acted decently. One of my cousins attended the meeting with his significant other, a man, and it was clearly no issue with anyone there. It just was normal. Far bigger issues revolved around football teams. It would not have been this way even 25 years ago, I’m sure. I don’t know how those 11 kids, now in their 70s and 80s, came to this place. They remain very conservative and they’re there every time the church doors open but someone being gay clearly is no longer the problem it was with them. I don’t live in the South now so the differences from years past to now are striking—and I feel hope for humanity even when people like AM treat others so horribly. At the same time, there’s a reason no one brought up politics. MOO.
Sounds like you have a remarkable family which isn’t always the norm with certain issues in life. Very happy to hear of one good happy family that accepts each other as they are. MOO

One thing that seems to bring even the most hard core political opposites together is money and the powerful lawyer types like AM usually just grease all of the skids without partisan feelings. A lot of lawyers are liberal it seems but there’s a swimming with sharks analogy to be had here also.

Oh, I’m not really weighing in on anything to think it’s right or wrong. To me, it’s all just brainstorming here, where one person throws out an idea and others contemplate it and think of possible related aspects. Again in my view only, the objective is to explore and share insights that may help LE at some point, help us to think critically, and keep attention on the need for justice for those who have been victimized by others. So no worries; I’m just thinking in type. :) Thanks for all your insights! :) All I ever say is MOO. :)
I think in type, too. All is well.

“Mr. Fleming and his firm agreed that the estate will be paid back all legal fees and expenses Mr. Fleming and his law firm received from the $4,300,000 they recovered for the estate in connection with the claims asserted against Alex Murdaugh for the death of Gloria Satterfied,” Bland said in a press release. “In addition, their malpractice insurance carrier agreed to pay to the estate their full policy limits of insurance.”

Murdaugh Murders Saga: Cory Fleming And His Law Firm Reach Settlement With Satterfield’s Estate

Snipped from above paragraph.

“In addition, their malpractice insurance carrier agreed to pay to the estate their full policy limits of insurance.”

Does this mean it could be more?

From this article:
Just one week before this bizarre incident, according to the source, 'Buster and Alex were talking about the fact that the life insurance wasn't paying out on Maggie or Paul. My understanding was that there was a $6million policy on her and $4million on him.'

So, there was a life insurance policy on Maggie and one on Paul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288