Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #51

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't asking any questions about the law.

Sorry, you were talking about not needing a warrant to enter the home so I misunderstood. As far as I know, LE never entered the home before the 17th when the Laundries called them in. If there is an article out there that they went in the house on the 11th I haven't seen it. I would like to read it though, if you find it.

Oh, and concerning the LE statement that the Laundries weren't cooperating. I think LE is using a one-side definition of cooperation. The Laundries attorney was responding to LE's questions. But the answers weren't what LE wanted to hear. Also, I am pretty sure the main lack of cooperation was that LE wanted BL to come into the station and make a statement. SB, not being the idiot attorney people are trying to paint him as, wisely advised his client not to do that.
That's only wisdom if he knew his client was guilty of being responsible for her disappearance as opposed to petulance!

I agree. My son is quite involved in this social media stuff and yes, we wait for uploads and downloads to accomplish this when travelling. Neither of their follower counts or social media involvement prior to this trip stands out as something they care much about. It is just odd to me. MOO.

Also, having just done our own custom van refit for the trip we took in June as a precursor to many more to come, we subscribe to many of the same monetized Vanlife channels. Nothing either of them produced fit into this space or category. Most of that type of money making content includes either product promotion and/or insight, advice, education, tips or tricks filmed and shared with talking involved, not just video collages with a music background. It is all very odd to me and makes little sense. Again MOO!

Exactly. The one video they posted to YouTube was basically "home movies" about a vacation. In my opinion it was devoid of any "content" that could eventually be monetized. This is why I really wonder what happened in Moab, and who else they may have talked to about this social media venture. Many people have posted about how much work goes into a monetized channel and I wouldn't be surprised if other content creators had serious talks with GP and BL about what is involved. From everything I have seen, their only asset was GP, herself. What would have happened if a successful content creator told them, in no uncertain terms, that their only chance of succeeding was to make it all about GP and keep BL totally off camera and out of the picture? I'm guessing that would not end well...

I still dont understand all the legal obligation to produce him, or permission from the parents to speak to him? BL is not a minor! Yes the home was owned by Ls, but was it BLs and GPS legal address? How is LE was denied access to find a missing adult at their legal address?
Requires a warrant to search house. I assume not enough info at that point to get one.

Finally got to a place where I could listen to this. He makes for an even less credible witness having gotten BL's last name wrong. That's pretty strange since he said he just Googled him. Hmmm
I don’t think not knowing his name makes it not credible at all. Some people are not detail people. This is totally something my significant other would do. Can’t remember names at all… but DD had heard of the story obviously and pulled up the photo to verify before calling FBI.

Oh, and concerning the LE statement that the Laundries weren't cooperating. I think LE is using a one-side definition of cooperation. The Laundries attorney was responding to LE's questions. But the answers weren't what LE wanted to hear. Also, I am pretty sure the main lack of cooperation was that LE wanted BL to come into the station and make a statement. SB, not being the idiot attorney people are trying to paint him as, wisely advised his client not to do that.
Yes, Brian had spoken to him on the phone, according to the attorney. Not cooperating means he is not answering questions, whether it was his parents or Brian himself who didn't make him available.

It was infuriating that he wouldn't tell LE where and when he last saw Gabby. That was the first piece of evidence that pointed to his involvement. Imo

Did anyone read Lullaby by Chuck Palanuick before this case? Or start afterward?
I'm currently reading it...since BL was reading it on his camping trip it's about a road trip across the country. Just looking to see if anything in the book may have given him subconsciously any ideas of where to hide.

According to Wikipedia, Palahniuck wrote Lullaby in response to his own father's murder. It would be even more disturbing, I think, if the book in any way inspired more murder. Since BL seems to have been quite a Palahniuck fan, I wonder if any of his books might provide BL with a pseudonym under which to travel, if that's what he's up to.

Sorry, you were talking about not needing a warrant to enter the home so I misunderstood. As far as I know, LE never entered the home before the 17th when the Laundries called them in. If there is an article out there that they went in the house on the 11th I haven't seen it. I would like to read it though, if you find it.

This is what I was originally talking about:

I find the statement you bring from that article peculiar. It says to me that they didn't even go in the house when Gabby was a missing person, identify where she lived in that house to even see if she could be sitting in her room!

It's very odd that there is a missing and now dead person, but the police never identified her things in the home where she lived. VERY odd.

I don't know what's going on with Gabby's things or how much things she even had. I wonder how much stuff can a 22 year old accumulate who moved already from New York to North Carolina (right?) and then to FL to live with another family. Seems like if she had furniture, from living in NC, she would have already gotten rid of that after living two years with the Laundries. But I don't know how long people generally rent storage units for.

I can understand in general that the police don't know whose stuff is whose -- like is that frying pan over there the Laundries' or is it Gabby's? You know? But otherwise, it seems the police should have gone in that home and identified where exactly Gabby resided within the home.

From here, someone else said the police couldn't search without a search warrant. I was talking about them just verifying that she was not home in her own house since her van was out front, not searching the house. I figured as a part of the missing person's investigation, seeing her van out front gave them probable cause for that investigation to go in and see if she was in there. That's all.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia, Palanuick wrote Lullaby in response to his own father's murder. It would be even more disturbing, I think, if the book in any way inspired more murder. Since BL seems to have been quite a Palanuick fan, I wonder if any of his books might provide BL with a pseudonym under which to travel, if that's what he's up to.

In the first Chapter now. Nothing so far stands out to me, not yet.

Yes, Brian had spoken to him on the phone, according to the attorney. Not cooperating means he is not answering questions, whether it was his parents or Brian himself who didn't make him available.

It was infuriating that he wouldn't tell LE where and when he last saw Gabby. That was the first piece of evidence that pointed to his involvement. Imo

Oh, I am not disagreeing that his not stating where he had last seen her is a pretty clear sign that he knew she was dead and hoping she'd never be found. But talking to the police/media at that time wasn't going to make him look any less guilty. So from his attorneys perspective, why do it and make his eventual trial harder to defend.

I know she lived there for two years, and I assume that means that address was on all her stuff. I thought that if the police had probable cause to believe a missing person was inside a place, they can go in.

The Sheriff of Polk county already said he would have taken Brian in based on the van being there, so that seems like the police then did indeed have probable cause. I can't get over how they can take the van, but they can't go in and see if Gabby is in the house. I don't mean search it, but check for her -- the subject of the missing person's report.

I know they claim she got missing in WY, but who knew that? Just because that's where the last phone call came from? But Brian was there, too, at the time, and then he was clearly in FL next. So why couldn't Gabby be, too?

For all anyone knew at the time, BL could have kicked Gabby out of the van in another state. What they did know was her van, the last thing she'd been in, was at her own residence. That's why I think the police just botched everything from start to finish.
Infinity likes !!!!!

Did anyone read Lullaby by Chuck Palanuick before this case? Or start afterward?
I'm currently reading it...since BL was reading it on his camping trip it's about a road trip across the country. Just looking to see if anything in the book may have given him subconsciously any ideas of where to hide.
I'll be interested in your findings!
If he's alive, I imagine he's living sufficiently close to civilisation to know he's being hunted.
A hiding place and a modus operandi might well emerge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288