UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

This article states that JFC had been sentenced to five years for initial crime and then held until his escape from the hospital June 30, 2021. Do we know whether he has escaped before?

He changed his appearance drastically based on the photos in this article and managed to evade capture for a couple of months. He even got a job during that time. So I wonder if this was his first time, because he was more successful than I would think a first-timer would be.
Dangerous sex offender who escaped from a state mental hospital may be traveling through Colorado

ETA: The crime for which he was incarcerated was in 2001, for which he was sentenced to five years. It was after that that he was placed in the mental hospital so his stay there was the better part of the last two decades.

even the warrant states he was in that area from 8/12......
The headline of this article states that he failed to register as a sex offender.

Maybe it's just me but why would he need to register if he's in a mental hospital? And why wouldn't that have automatically been a condition of his release from prison - before he was ordered a risk to society and institutionalized?

I feel like there's a big chunk of time missing and I wonder if he has been in and out of the hospital. With all of the stuff he had accumulated during those 2-3 months - some of it requiring ID, etc. - plus procuring a job, he doesn't seem to have issues adjusting to societal demands. In fact, aside from living in a tent, he did a good job of blending in, especially in Moab where so many locals have been displaced because of COVID and a huge rise in the cost of living.

Runaway sexual predator arrested in Utah failed to resister sex offender status

indeed they do.

they don't seem to be very effective.
(if you reduce the people who go through them to statistics and view them as a whole group.)
and as much as i hope the few who pass through are truely helped and changed...

it makes me wonder if it would just be better to make minimum prison sentences for sex crimes much much longer.

it would certainly be cheaper.

the fact is most people take sex crimes very seriously.
most people dont want people who have commited them in their neighbourhood or near their families.
the legal system generally does not reflect that in sentencing.

another one;

Coalinga State Hospital - Wikipedia

on the one hand - it's a violation of their rights
on the other hand - stay the *advertiser censored** away from my kids
The reality is there is no place for them in society. I do not think they can be rehabilitated so it makes the solution a difficult one.

The disparity of his sentence vs. the length of his institutionalization is what shocked me - and it's the reason I was wondering it he had been allowed privileges or had escaped before.

I didn't realize that Kylen and Crystal had been found in the creek in the woods and were believed to have been sexually assaulted. It made me wonder if the person who killed them had killed two girls before.

I do not know if we permitted to sleuth the connection between Laundrie and these two ladies on this thread. If not, I am not trying to that; but there already is a connection (not necessarily pointing to anything) simply because Gabby and BL ate there, Gabby worked there for 6 hours on August 12 on her blog, one of these ladies was working there that day and at some point on that day the two of them - Gabby and BL - had a huge fight. Shortly after that they were stopped by the Moab police and what happened during that stop is public record.

If I am correct, all of that is undisputed. What is not clear is what, if any, connection there between BL and these two ladies after August 12. Has anything in the MM been conclusively established ? IIRC also these ladies went out to a bar that night which was within walking distance of the hotel BL was put in on August 12 evening. I do not want to run afoul of TOS, I am just asking if anything has been conclusively established connecting these cases other than what I just stated. Thanks to you all!

If there is truly no relation, and seeing that there was a 17 year old girl who went missing in Eagle something near SLC, and there was a guy who was also found dead, during the search for Gabby - do we have a serial killer roaming in Utah/Wyoming?

I do not know if we permitted to sleuth the connection between Laundrie and these two ladies on this thread. If not, I am not trying to that; but there already is a connection (not necessarily pointing to anything) simply because Gabby and BL ate there, Gabby worked there for 6 hours on August 12 on her blog, one of these ladies was working there that day and at some point on that day the two of them - Gabby and BL - had a huge fight. Shortly after that they were stopped by the Moab police and what happened during that stop is public record.

If I am correct, all of that is undisputed. What is not clear is what, if any, connection there between BL and these two ladies after August 12. Has anything in the MM been conclusively established ? IIRC also these ladies went out to a bar that night which was within walking distance of the hotel BL was put in on August 12 evening. I do not want to run afoul of TOS, I am just asking if anything has been conclusively established connecting these cases other than what I just stated. Thanks to you all!

If there is truly no relation, and seeing that there was a 17 year old girl who went missing in Eagle something near SLC, and there was a guy who was also found dead, during the search for Gabby - do we have a serial killer roaming in Utah/Wyoming?
Nothing really fits for a serial killer though. Brian killed Gabby. The hiker found dead, died from a fall, IIRC. Not sure about the 17 year old.

As far as Kylen & Crystal, we don’t know who killed them so it’s just speculation at this point. But so far there isn’t concrete evidence that any of the 4 cases you mentioned are linked. If any are, it’s more likely Kylen & Crystal and Gabby, only because BL was in Moab at the time of their deaths. But so far there is nothing in MSM to connect them.

Nothing really fits for a serial killer though. Brian killed Gabby. The hiker found dead, died from a fall, IIRC. Not sure about the 17 year old.

As far as Kylen & Crystal, we don’t know who killed them so it’s just speculation at this point. But so far there isn’t concrete evidence that any of the 4 cases you mentioned are linked. If any are, it’s more likely Kylen & Crystal and Gabby, only because BL was in Moab at the time of their deaths. But so far there is nothing in MSM to connect them.

Okay, thank you.

The dates are incorrect in this article.
BL stayed in the Moab hotel on 12 Aug.
Kylen and Crystal were last seen 13 Aug leaving Woody's tavern.

Yes, but until we know where BL/GP were during the Aug. 13 to Aug. 16 (Kylen didn't show up to work on the 16th) I will continue to be suspicious.

Yes, but until we know where BL/GP were during the Aug. 13 to Aug. 16 (Kylen didn't show up to work on the 16th) I will continue to be suspicious.

I will too.

Is the hiker you're referring to the suicide? That was in Wyoming so not sure if I'm missing something from the Moab cases. The hotel he stayed at was a 2 minutes walk from the Moonflower as well, but if he was left without a vehicle I'd hope someone would have come forward to say they gave him a ride. I think it was noted they talked about the "creepy man" on the 12th so I have to doubt it was BL unless we have an idea where they camped those few days. Where was BL when GP was working on the website at the Moonflower? Theoretically, they would have recognized him. It was also mentioned there was a fairly large wedding near their campsite, so maybe a guest took advantage of the weekend before going back to wherever they came from...

Long shot but oddly coincidental, IMO.

Oh I’m definitely suspicious but we aren’t really allowed to discuss it unless a suspect is named.

I still say, they probably had next to 0 expenses and had a pile of cash. Most crimes are over money. If it wasn't the creepy guy it may be much closer and they could have been robbed and the scene made to look like something different. The campsite I posted from google earth had a camper right by the creek in 2019, I would like to know if this camper was one of theirs back that long ago. It appeared to be a perfect campsite, Shade and water but no doubt hard living in winter. Hopefully an insider joins in this discussion.

If the only motive was robbery, I don't think the perp would have stayed to stage the scene, leaving possibly more DNA behind. Plus you can rob people without taking their lives. This perpetrator was an evil individual. IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back