Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely due to Hurricana Ida, which had little impact on SW Florida, it made landfall over 475 miles away from Tampa.

Just trying to say any campground cancellation was very very unlikely to be related to Hurricane Ida.

I had posted this site earlier but wanted to post it again in case weather-related questions come up.

World Temperatures — Weather Around The World=

You can get a record of weather (Hi-Lo temps, precipitation, wind, humidity) for any date for pretty much for any place in the world going back to 2009.

Personally I think the periods of heavy rain, thunderstorms, and fog forecast for the county where Ft. DeSoto is for Sept 1 (a correct forecast per the above site) would have made me cancel camping plans. I've been stuck in a tent with metal tent poles in a thunderstorm...never again! I know the Laundries have that "camper" thing but I'd still not want to be in a metal structure like that during a thunderstorm if I could help it.

So I don't think we can rule out weather as a reason for canceling the trip on Aug 31 even though Ida wasn't the issue.
JMO

I agree 100% The fact that the people that picked him up hitchhiking offered to take him all the way in and he apparently anxiously declined has always been a curiosity to me. Your comment rings true MOO: "He refused to allow his ride to drive him back up to the van, because he was still wary that there would be LE and perhaps a trap to catch him. When he got back to the van, and saw for himself that her body had not been discovered, he panicked again. All that planning to say he left her and someone else must have found her alone and killed her… that story would only work if someone else discovered her."

Another notion of historical behavior to add to our "missing person": Has been known to hitch hike

When BL fled, it was before he was indicted for credit card fraud. So, technically, assisting him in relocating was not an illegal activity. His lawyer, his parents, or anyone solicited by them would not have done anything illegal by setting him up in a safe house on or around 9/11-9/13 since he was not wanted for anything until 9/14. I do believe that the location cannot be known by his parents, since at this point they would be lying to the FBI if they deny knowing where he is located. So I think the parents do not know his actual physical location. I don’t know about the lawyer? @Alethea or anyone else? Is the lawyer breaking the law, or legal ethics if he knows BL’s location and hides that from the FBI?

This makes me wonder if SB had any advance warning that BL was going to be charged. It would’ve given BL and anyone interested in helping him time to make plans without it technically being illegal.

And actually, even if they didn’t know those charges were coming, I don’t think any of them are stupid enough to think he’d never be charged with anything so plans for going on the run was always a good strategy for him. Imo

WHO, though? I don't see a lot of people speaking out to defend his reputation and it appears that he was mostly considered a loner with few friends. His family has been under scrutiny for weeks now. Who has that kind of love and dedication to harbor or assist someone who is a person of interest in a homicide and who is wanted on federal charges of fraud? Anyone?

I think this scenario is completely unlikely. BL is alone.

Don't throw the tomatoes, but I think he is alone as well. I think the gift Brian was given was the gift of time and he may not have asked for anything more than that. The clock ran out and he was reported missing.

As much as it seems BL had to have help in eluding LE, who does that?
I have friends and family but not one would I ask for help if I was wanted and running from the law.

I will offer this as an example, although it isn’t necessarily what I believe. Perhaps a parent has control of a grandparent’s finances. That parent could rent a long term rental in FLA using the grandparents funds. I know everyone thinks, but oh, the FBI could see that transaction - but without a warrant I don’t believe the FBI has any right to access anyone’s financial transactions. It could be a close friend of the parents. Or of the lawyer. All is needed is someone to make the actual rental in their name. And if done before 9/14, I don’t see anything illegal about it all.

Edited to add: I myself rented a condo in northern florida from a VRBO listing. Never met or spoke with that actual owner, and only briefly spoke to the agency that he had caretaking it about entering etc. in other words, I lived in a condo in Florida for 2 months never actually ever being seen, or verified by anyone. And I wasn’t even trying to hide or deceive!

On the bright side if he’s daft enough to get photographed laughing, hopefully if he does know where BL is hes daft enough to get caught out on a silly mistake.
Especially talking to his new FBI “buddy”..

ETA: I don’t know where you’d find homeless people who’d simultaneously shelter a murderer while ignoring the life-changing reward money.
When I try to imagine if it were my son who was a POI in a murder case and he’s hiding out somewhere, nothing could make me feel relaxed and smile and laugh during my search for him. That, IMO is how most normal, decent and innocent parents would feel too. For Mr. L to show up now, after all of this time, indicates to me that he knows his son is safely tucked away somewhere other than where he finally showed up to help LE.

As much as it seems BL had to have help in eluding LE, who does that?
I have friends and family but not one would I ask for help if I was wanted and running from the law.
Maybe he called the family, in a panic. Now they're involved. They say come home. Once he arrives home they devise a plan to make him disappear, which he goes along with. Because, well they're his parents they know best.

I have no knowledge as to the extent of his parents' involvement so this is just a hypothetical.

Doesn’t it seem like there should be a way to do this? — and interest on the part of the FBI in doing this, considering the fugitive situation which isn’t getting resolved through nature reserve searches??
IDK, maybe they would have to tie it to a recipient? ie Dear Son? Cash.....no reason to register #s, draw attention once he has it. LOL all I have to go on is TV cop shows.

I had posted this site earlier but wanted to post it again in case weather-related questions come up.

World Temperatures — Weather Around The World=

You can get a record of weather (Hi-Lo temps, precipitation, wind, humidity) for any date for pretty much for any place in the world going back to 2009.

Personally I think the periods of heavy rain, thunderstorms, and fog forecast for the county where Ft. DeSoto is for Sept 1 (a correct forecast per the above site) would have made me cancel camping plans. I've been stuck in a tent with metal tent poles in a thunderstorm...never again! I know the Laundries have that "camper" thing but I'd still not want to be in a metal structure like that during a thunderstorm if I could help it.

So I don't think we can rule out weather as a reason for canceling the trip on Aug 31 even though Ida wasn't the issue.
JMO
of course it was the weather, namely rain but not a certain day, here in florida at the beginning of summer and into the later months we had alot of rain, alot and so it has made our water tables very high, and our rivers has been high all summer long, the swamps all around have been flooded almost all summer long!

When I try to imagine if it were my son who was a POI in a murder case and he’s hiding out somewhere, nothing could make me feel relaxed and smile and laugh during my search for him. That, IMO is how most normal, decent and innocent parents would feel too. For Mr. L to show up now, after all of this time, indicates to me that he knows his son is safely tucked away somewhere other than where he finally showed up to help LE.
But what if everybody is not the same?

bbm
My first guess would be the people he fled back to after Gabby's death ?
Assuming he had friends who would help --I think they'd balk at helping under these circumstances !
Imo.
Exactly, harboring, aiding and abetting a fugitive from justice carries huge penalties; outside of parents or immediate family, I can’t imagine anyone taking this risk.

And yet in interviews Gabby's dad occasionally smiled and gave the odd short laugh when Gabby was missing. And he seems like a genuine, normal, innocent person.

I agree with all of that except for BL being suicidal. He is indeed irrational, illogical and enough of an egomaniac to think he can elude police forever, or he wouldn't have gone on the run in the first place. Maybe I've watched too many episodes of "I Almost Got Away With It, " but guys who run and hide get cocky and think they are smarter than everybody, especially police. They often get sick of being on the run and start making mistakes. I think that will happen to BL any day now. It's just a matter of time. Maybe he'll rob a health food store and get caught on camera, LOL. Sorry for the joke - JMOO.

I recall somebody (kidnapper?..not sure, some fugitive) being caught on a Walmart camera when he went in for a sandwich. There are a lot of Walmarts; a lot of cameras... if no one is reviewing the footage, and we do not know where to look, he could be out and about for a long time.

Could his parents or the atty (or the secret LLC) send him cash or travelers checks or some other sort of currency to a P.O. Box? I think that he could disappear better around NYC if there is already an address somewhere that is not specifically in the L's name. I just do not see "hiding out" for the rest of his life as a sustainable way to live, but...

It appears that the van was always with Gabby, regardless. The Florida trip that Brian took from August 17-23 was by airplane, while the van was parked outside of the hotel that Gabby was staying at. Her and her friend were supposed to just *discuss* plans and they were supposed to meet up some time in September. Gabby didn’t answer her phone calls on August 29. Then the fake text message was sent from her phone to her mom on August 30, which read “No service in Yosemite” when her body was discovered in Spread Creek. Her phone was turned off from that day forward. He used her bank cards on the way home. He doesn’t notice that essentially all of her important belongings are still in the van?

Authorities also don’t have the phone Laundrie had with him on the couple’s trip nor do they have Gabby’s phone. Neither phone was in Gabby’s van, which Brian drove back to Florida.
Did it say somewhere what they found all her personal belongings in the van ? I thought I read he didn’t have a phone along these threads. If they where budgeting and normally always your her and only had her phone and she had it. If he didn’t have his own phone it would make sense why he would get one when he returned back. If he didn’t take it with him maybe it’s not an addiction of his to carry. Most obvious is he is guilty he is the last person known to be with her. But he drove home and stayed there two weeks not leaving til the parents called looking for her and then he was supposedly seen driving a truck saying he trying to get back to his girlfriend out west after a fight. To him she is missing and he left her and needs to get back there. They both read crime books I can’t see him being stupid enough to go home and sit around for two weeks waiting to run til he knew his gig was up. Doesn’t make sense. The character descriptions of him all seem circumstantial. They were together a long time and referred to as relationship goals. I haven’t researched his personality other than what’s been said on here and it seems like jumping to the attack of someone noone really knows because he is a person that people should hate if he killed someone. JMO. I’m sure
If I followed along I probably would be right on board with just reverting to he’s guilty but seeing it all at once and o lay looking at the timeline of events without emotions and assumptions tied to following it along the timeline IMO is he learned she was in trouble when everyone else did. He left her there because that was her thing to do. By saying he should never leave a female behind (someone replied to me before) isn’t that saying she can’t do this adventure on her own so if she didn’t want to drive the van long distances her only choice would be to abandon her plans. From the other women who were interviewed with this carefree lifestyle it’s something they meet up and the one said she is sure she would have met her at some point because they actively seek eachother out. To say she couldn’t do this without him is not much different than her saying in the police video that he didn’t think she could do it. Apparently many think a women needs a man to travel.

That’s a good point, and probably means he’s deceased. Why would the FBI not disclose for example that cameras have no record of his having left? It would save people the trouble of phoning in all these sightings. Or are there likely ways to leave a reserve without being recorded?

IMO I feel like the FBI is not going to disclose much of anything

I had surgery earlier this year and was laid up for about 10 days and binge watched Naked and Afraid, you'd be surprised what these people are able to do to survive. That being said, I dont see BL being that great of a survivalist, "mediocre at best", but who knows the lengths that he would go through to evade arrest.
Naked and Afraid weren't alone though (at the very least, there's a film crew). BL's out on his ownsome, which is bad enough itself, but he's also never had to make it through life alone. He's been a dependent and hanger-on. He never even seems to make his own dinner?

Feeling a bit deflated that nothing seemed to come of CL helping with the search yesterday.
Although I do think it's possible that the whole objective of that was to see if CL would open up a bit to LE and talk.

Really hope he is alive somewhere and brought to justice.

WHO, though? I don't see a lot of people speaking out to defend his reputation and it appears that he was mostly considered a loner with few friends. His family has been under scrutiny for weeks now. Who has that kind of love and dedication to harbor or assist someone who is a person of interest in a homicide and who is wanted on federal charges of fraud? Anyone?

I think this scenario is completely unlikely. BL is alone.
Anyone who truly loves and is dedicated to someone, doesn’t allow them to hurt themselves, quite the opposite.
You protect your loved ones, guide them, and help them to help themselves, especially when they are thinking otherwise. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419