Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #84

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm, I’d like to know exactly when BM started paying rent at this Salida residence where SD lives, snipped from article at link below and BBM:

In her filing, Stanley points out that Barry Morphew currently pays rent at a residence in Salida, Colorado, which is near the courthouse, and also where Shoshona Darke lives.

So we know BM moved out of the PP residence and into the condo in Poncha Springs fairly quickly imo after SM went “missing”, and that he was still living in the PS condo when he got arrested and was sitting in jail ever since his arrest until his release on bond a couple weeks ago. And we now know that since he got released, he’s been living in his old neighborhood at the Cushman’s place likely for free, imo. So my question is, WHY would BM the self described tight-wad who was too cheap to pay for his community trash services, be paying rent at a residence in Salida where SD lives that he himself didn’t/doesn’t even live at either prior to his arrest or since his release from jail?!

I assume SD was already residing at this residence in Salida when BM got arrested and where I assume he must have told the court he’d be living after he got released, and perhaps produced a check made out for rent for that address as “proof” that’s where he was going to be living. If so, he lied about where he was going to be living (surprise, not!) as we now know he was living in his old neighborhood at the Cushman’s place, which imo he deliberately went to live at Cushman’s for a few reasons, to keep an eye on his former PP residence (observe if any hidden evidence got moved, potentially further tamper with evidence), intimidate the Ritter’s by moving in basically right next door to them, and now we know his ankle monitor also didn’t track him well there due to poor reception in the area, and he most definitely knew about the poor reception in the PP area. How he thought he wouldn’t get caught living where he wasn’t supposed to be living is beyond me but then again, this is entitled BM we’re talking about, no one’s gonna tell him what to do, thinks he’s smarter than everyone else, that rules and laws don’t apply to him and obviously thinks nothing of brazenly breaking them.

At any rate, it would be helpful to know whose name is on the Salida residence lease. I assume it’s in BM’s name but regardless, more importantly if he’s been paying rent for that place for a length of time prior to and since his arrest to present while obviously not/hasn’t lived there himself, then I’d have to assume the DA found out that he’s been paying the rent there for awhile and that’s where she prefers he lives for obvious reasons. IMO, there’s only one reason he’d be paying rent for a place he doesn’t even live at that SD lives at, and that’s because it must benefit HIM in some way, like oh I don’t know say some sort of “hush, hush” deal was made between him and SD. IOW, do what I ask, keep your mouth shut, and I’ll find/put you up in a nice place and pay your rent.

Ugh, I really hope between now and BM’s trial, LE/DA find out more about the mysterious 2nd device BM had because something tells me there’s potentially damning info/communications between BM and SD on that device. I mean, this woman SD who ‘supposedly’ met BM face to face for the first time at a DUMPSTER lol several months after the fact according to the lying liar BM, is the same woman that called in a tip about seeing a suspicious vehicle on PP area the day SM went missing, really?! I suppose I’m supposed to believe that’s just another ‘coincidence’ on top of the mountainous pile of other ‘coincidences’ in this case. Yeah rigghhttt. This is also the same woman who deleted stuff on her phone from BM in front of LE, pulled up in BM’s truck and harassed a woman in front of the woman’s children and accused her of being BM’s enemy, trespassed on private property to grab a package off the porch of BM’s former residence, so I can’t help but wonder what else has SD done for, and to protect BM. I think that 2nd device might answer those questions so hopefully LE/DA are able to figure that all out too before trial.

All things considered, I’m thinking quite possibly BM & SD met/became involved before SM went “missing” and that SD knows a lot more than she’s saying and possibly even involved in some aspect/s of at the very least, the coverup. IMO, BM and SD are cut from the same cloth, two peas in a pod, and deserve each other. SMDH. I hope she turns on him and starts singing like a canary sooner rather than later.

Barry Morphew: Court docs reveal issues with GPS monitor, daughter's 'social relationship' with probation rep

All of the above IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

I wonder if LE is able to (or maybe already has) pull SD’s cellphone record the morning of Mothers Day in 2020 to see if SD was in the area of the PP home to make that assumption she saw a suspicious vehicle. If she wasn’t in the area and was lying about what she saw, I feel that is huge to bring up in trial. IMO I think Barry told her to say that.

Geesh! That's really small! That will really cramp his style compared to his previous style of living! And there isn't enough land there to hardly park all of his equipment. It will be a very sad day if and when he has to part ways with his Bobcat, even having to park it somewhere he can't see it every day could be a tragedy for him - separation anxiety might play a role too! The time may come in the near future where he may have to sell some of those things, either because he can't drum up any business or he needs more funds to pay those high-profile defense attorneys.

We all know the saying....what goes around comes around and can't forget Karma either.

I wonder if he misses any of the previous luxuries he had?

Smaller than PP house? Yes. But bigger than a jail cell.

I wonder if LE is able to (or maybe already has) pull SD’s cellphone record the morning of Mothers Day in 2020 to see if SD was in the area of the PP home to make that assumption she saw a suspicious vehicle. If she wasn’t in the area and was lying about what she saw, I feel that is huge to bring up in trial. IMO I think Barry told her to say that.

Seems rather unrealistic that SD was right there at the PP place on Mother's Day to see a suspicious vehicle, yet Barry claims to have never even met her until late October last year. Sorry, I'm not buying it. I'm also not buying that there ever was any suspicious vehicle. Frankly, I think they're both lying through their teeth. Him for himself, and her for him, for some whacked out reason.

jmo

Seems rather unrealistic that SD was right there at the PP place on Mother's Day to see a suspicious vehicle, yet Barry claims to have never even met her until late October last year. Sorry, I'm not buying it. I'm also not buying that there ever was any suspicious vehicle. Frankly, I think they're both lying through their teeth. Him for himself, and her for him, for some whacked out reason.

jmo
Certainly not a SD defender but could she have been in the area on that day because she’s a cleaning lady for homes located nearby?

jmo
Agreed @Ontario Mom
I’m not even believing the “met at a dumpster” story - I think the fibs are getting tangled and confused with real events. It must be SO hard to remember everything ;)

How can the Prosecution prove SD and BM met prior to Suzanne going missing? Phone or GPS records?
Hmm .. can a mobile phone tell you when you entered someone’s phone number into your own phone contacts, an exact date?

Agreed @Ontario Mom
I’m not even believing the “met at a dumpster” story - I think the fibs are getting tangled and confused with real events. It must be SO hard to remember everything ;)

How can the Prosecution prove SD and BM met prior to Suzanne going missing? Phone or GPS records?
Hmm .. can a mobile phone tell you when you entered someone’s phone number into your own phone contacts, an exact date?
Quick question. How would connecting SD earlier benefit the prosecution case? It feels to me it would weaken the case because it would introduce possible other scenarios. Since we are past the preliminary and on to trial I am not seeing the connection of benefit to the case. How would they introduce any information if confirmed and how does it fit the prosecution that Barry, enraged by the possibility of divorce, planned and murdered Suzanne.

Was it determined that BM had a burner phone or a second phone?
No confirmation, but the AA states something interesting. There were no calls between Barry and Suzanne from February 7th to May 4th. Almost 3 months without one call? I feel like he had a second device, or maybe they weren’t together?
Also in the AA-on Mother’s Day, Barry texted Suzanne at 3:15-“call me”. No response. Two hours later, Jeanne Ritter called Barry to report Suzanne missing. Did he try Suzanne? Nope. He waited another two hours, and only after receiving a call from the CCSO, did he try to call Suzanne. An hour at the hotel, and another hour driving in his truck, before he thought to call Suzanne. It doesn’t sound like he expected her to pick up.

Certainly not a SD defender but could she have been in the area on that day because she’s a cleaning lady for homes located nearby?

Of course it's possible, but I'm highly skeptical for a couple of reasons.

1. It was during the part of the covid pandemic when authorities began issuing lock downs, travel restrictions, etc. Most folks were not going on vacations, but instead cancelling travel plans and staying home. The other woman that ran into Barry and Suzanne at the dumpster mentioned she was throwing away food from the properties she manages in that very neighborhood because they were sitting empty due to covid (paraphrasing, I cannot locate the exact link). That doesn't mean all the vacation BnB properties were empty, but it does make it harder to believe "house cleaning" was the reason she was near the PP house. I'm inclined to believe the entire "sighting" was just a bold faced lie, in Barry's favor.

2. SD was said to have deleted things off her phone right in front of LE, one of those items they believed to be Barry's second phone number and was reported to have been "evasive" with her answers. https://www.courts.state.co.us/user.../21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf (page 123) So to me, that right there says she's both sneaky and in a position to defend Barry (since, afterall, she's in an intimate relationship with him).

All of course is jmo.

AA
Suzanne wrote on her list, that BM behaved like she SM was "intruding the garage".

What did Suzanne see there or was hindered to see there? What did he do there? Which secrets did he hide? What did he dump into 5 different dumpsters, as he knew, Suzanne wouldn't be found by police and next would be a search of his home? Was there something for preparing SM's death or was there something (ie. souvenirs) left from other crimes?

No confirmation, but the AA states something interesting. There were no calls between Barry and Suzanne from February 7th to May 4th. Almost 3 months without one call? I feel like he had a second device, or maybe they weren’t together?
Also in the AA-on Mother’s Day, Barry texted Suzanne at 3:15-“call me”. No response. Two hours later, Jeanne Ritter called Barry to report Suzanne missing. Did he try Suzanne? Nope. He waited another two hours, and only after receiving a call from the CCSO, did he try to call Suzanne. An hour at the hotel, and another hour driving in his truck, before he thought to call Suzanne. It doesn’t sound like he expected her to pick up.

My understanding of the AA (and whatI hope reasonable jurors will also conclude) is that while LE found no burner phone, there was enough cell phone data to indicate he had one.

My theory is that Barry had at least one burner well before he murdered Suzanne. Probably used them for many years for different reasons - "meet cute girls," his pervy internet searches, shady business transactions, and research and plan a murder, and enlist the help of Sho in some way, at least to coverup.

opinions only

Would BM have used a burner phone and let have seen Suzanne his second number?

1. It was during the part of the covid pandemic when authorities began issuing lock downs, travel restrictions, etc. Most folks were not going on vacations, but instead cancelling travel plans and staying home. The other woman that ran into Barry and Suzanne at the dumpster mentioned she was throwing away food from the properties she manages in that very neighborhood because they were sitting empty due to covid (paraphrasing, I cannot locate the exact link). That doesn't mean all the vacation BnB properties were empty, but it does make it harder to believe "house cleaning" was the reason she was near the PP house. I'm inclined to believe the entire "sighting" was just a bold faced lie, in Barry's favor.

2. SD was said to have deleted things off her phone right in front of LE, one of those items they believed to be Barry's second phone number and was reported to have been "evasive" with her answers. https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf (page 123) So to me, that right there says she's both sneaky and in a position to defend Barry (since, afterall, she's in an intimate relationship with him).

All of course is jmo.

very similar thoughts with one caveat, Sho wanted to have a sort of plausible excuse if she was seen in the area. Not many people there due to COVID but she had to cover her bases in the off chance she was seen.

2. SD was said to have deleted things off her phone right in front of LE, one of those items they believed to be Barry's second phone number and was reported to have been "evasive" with her answers. https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/11th_Judicial_District/Chaffee/cases of interest/21CR78/21cr78 Morphew Redacted Affidavit.pdf (page 123) So to me, that right there says she's both sneaky and in a position to defend Barry (since, afterall, she's in an intimate relationship with him).

All of course is jmo.
Yes, I agree. It’s unlikely that SD was there, if she was in fact there at all, on that day. Chaffee County covers over 1,000 square miles, so her assertion that she was there at the exact location/time of Suzanne’s disappearance stretches credulity.

The deletions from her phone are a strong indicator of an attempt to cover up some knowledge of guilty behavior, her’s or Barry’s or both.

My understanding of the AA (and whatI hope reasonable jurors will also conclude) is that while LE found no burner phone, there was enough cell phone data to indicate he had one.

My theory is that Barry had at least one burner well before he murdered Suzanne. Probably used them for many years for different reasons - "meet cute girls," his pervy internet searches, shady business transactions, and research and plan a murder, and enlist the help of SD in some way, at least to coverup.

opinions only
So here is the question that has me stumped - when LE went to visit with SD after arresting Barry out on the highway, over by the anytime fitness, and SD started deleting info from her phone, couldn’t this be viewed as impeding an investigation - allowing LE to seize the phone and get a subpoena for her iCloud etc/ ?? I guess I am finding it hard to believe that they cannot find the burner - or burners - esp in such an unpopulated area JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cushman property is a total of 11.22 acres and it shares a property line with the Morphew's former PP property. If you go to the Chaffee County Assessor and look up the address (19087 PP) you can click on Maps and see the property lines.

I looked at both units on the rental company's website and I don't see any cameras, keypads or electronic entries that would record anyone coming or going from the property.

Well, we can probably make an educated guess that it wasn't stuff from her weed guy that SD was deleting in front of LE.

That takes some chutzpah to delete stuff in front of the cops.

moo

ITA, SD's cell records were definitely examined by LE. As well, I think FB's cell phone records were examined too.

Wonder if those cell phones were close to each other at any point on the 9th or the 10th?

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member